•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2009
From what I can tell he might be working in the weight room with the kids. I haven't talked to any of them in a while.
Was Mike Whitaker hired today as the assistant football coach to replace Ben Howard? Also was he promised the head job next year? If this is true where will the district place his wife? All of this and rumor has it that as many as ten certified and 15 classified employees may be laid off.
Brooks, I think they are referring to his play not only at the 8th grade level but on the freshman and jv team last year. I hope they mean that he plays hard every down by the comment on being a gamer. If that is the case I believe he will show it to be true on the varsity this year
58fan Wrote:Brooks, I think they are referring to his play not only at the 8th grade level but on the freshman and jv team last year. I hope they mean that he plays hard every down by the comment on being a gamer. If that is the case I believe he will show it to be true on the varsity this year

YES I WAS HE WAS AS GOOD AS A PLAYER THAT I HAVE SEEN .
CAN HE DO IT NOW I HOPE .
I saw this kid play a middle school championship game with two metal rods sticking out of a finger he had broken so bad. Taped it up with helmet pads and tape
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:Really???I just was told he is gone this year and Mike Whitaker has been offered the job.Wait and watch as it unfolds.

Who was right back then?ME Confusedhh: I even told you who was taking over.
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:So, is Mike Whitaker around Letcher Co. doing anything or was there just a one day visit? What are the coaches saying? Any insight?

I told you a month ago.
Hillard Howard is going nowhere this year anyway. Whitaker will run the offense vacated by Ben, now in the future I think your right that Whitaker will have the head coaching position.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Hillard Howard is going nowhere this year anyway. Whitaker will run the offense vacated by Ben, now in the future I think your right that Whitaker will have the head coaching position.

Really?That's not what he told his players TODAY.Told about the BIG money and how he couldn't turn it down.A couple players/friends called me and I came down and ate with them.He aint leaving to be no assistant.
Um yes he did Breathitt Bobcat. I think I know more than you would.
HazzBeen Wrote:Um yes he did Breathitt Bobcat. I think I know more than you would.
If he does then he only lied to his players AGAIN.
some of these guys you are talking to works with the football program. I think they will know something before we would.
Letcher County fans are in for something special with the addition of MIKE WHITAKER. You will see a offense that is second to none with 5 receivers out there most plays. This is the guy who groomed Tim Couch for UK before he went on to Corbin. He also played PRO ball and will bring a lot of recognition to the kids there and to the LCC program. A HUGE HIRE FOR THE LCC PROGRAM. CONGRATS.
Just because he coached Tim Couch, doesnt mean he groomed him to be the #1 overall pick. Thats called god given talent. I guess since he is such a offensive guru, maybe he can go be the O coordinator at UK or UL, I am sure college are kicking down his door for his services.
Whitaker has turned out some nice qb's over the years
Greg Couch Leslie County High - Eastern Ky University
Tim Couch Leslie Co - University of Kentucky - NFL Cleveland Browns
Floyd Whitaker Leslie County High - Corbin High- Cumberland College
Keith Tandy Christian County - West Virginia University
Billy Rice Powell County - University Of Virginia Wise

Whitaker coached at EKU a couple of seasons
coached some with David Cutliff at Mississippi

I bet Logan Johnson parents feels like they have hit the lottery, if Logan stays healthy he too will be a college prospect
KYcoalminer Wrote:Just because he coached Tim Couch, doesnt mean he groomed him to be the #1 overall pick. Thats called god given talent. I guess since he is such a offensive guru, maybe he can go be the O coordinator at UK or UL, I am sure college are kicking down his door for his services.

I think what he was saying is he fits the system and the kinda offense coach howard wants to run. We aren't saying that just because he coached couch, doesn't mean that he will be sucessful. This is just like coach cal.
I thought that Hillard would run the old stuff. Very disappointed if they throw it all over the field. If LCC is to be successful on a higher level this pass happy stuff won't cut it. Makes for weak defenses.
KYcoalminer Wrote:Just because he coached Tim Couch, doesnt mean he groomed him to be the #1 overall pick. Thats called god given talent. I guess since he is such a offensive guru, maybe he can go be the O coordinator at UK or UL, I am sure college are kicking down his door for his services.

I am sure he could coach at alot of colleges but i guess people have different goals in life. He might not get all the credit for the success of TIM COUCH but he had a big part in the early development of him. By the way he also won a National Championship DIV II Title as starting quarterback at Eastern after he transferred over from UK. He also played for the New England Patriots for one year before getting injured. He will be a part of sending alot of Letcher County kids to college.

He went to a place that had never had a winning season in over 20 years and in only 2 seasons gave them their first winning season and nearly won a playoff game. He is a GREAT football coach.
P.C.Defense Wrote:He went to a place that had never had a winning season in over 20 years and in only 2 seasons gave them their first winning season and nearly won a playoff game. He is a GREAT football coach.

Keep Drinking the Kool Aid. All hail Coach Whitaker. He is great. So great, that even with 3 Division 1 QBs and 2 others that went to NAIA, he has never once played for a state title. Even with the number 1 QB in the nation back in the Mid 90s. I am sure he is a good coach, but the "Great Coach" label gets used way too much.:dontthink
Snare43 Wrote:I thought that Hillard would run the old stuff. Very disappointed if they throw it all over the field. If LCC is to be successful on a higher level this pass happy stuff won't cut it. Makes for weak defenses.

They have not been and will not be "pass happy." They've been a run first offense under Ben Howard the last few years.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:They have not been and will not be "pass happy." They've been a run first offense under Ben Howard the last few years.

I look for that to change some. He won't pass 75% of the time but he will pass a lot more than they do now. What is wrong with throwing it around a bit. It keeps the Defense off balance and besides, with the young QB you have, why wouldn't you throw it around. In Coach W's system, Johnson will throw over 2,000 yds and you will still probably have a couple of 1000 yd rushers. What is wrong with that?
TongueirateSho
I agree with you Blitz43
[quote=blitz43]I look for that to change some. He won't pass 75% of the time but he will pass a lot more than they do now. What is wrong with throwing it around a bit. It keeps the Defense off balance and besides, with the young QB you have, why wouldn't you throw it around. In Coach W's system, Johnson will throw over 2,000 yds and you will still probably have a couple of 1000 yd rushers. What is wrong with that?

There isnt anything wrong with I was just saying that what they had been doing the last few years wasnt a heavy passing offense. I like to see the ball in the air quite a bit myself
Brooks4Prez Wrote:[quote=blitz43]I look for that to change some. He won't pass 75% of the time but he will pass a lot more than they do now. What is wrong with throwing it around a bit. It keeps the Defense off balance and besides, with the young QB you have, why wouldn't you throw it around. In Coach W's system, Johnson will throw over 2,000 yds and you will still probably have a couple of 1000 yd rushers. What is wrong with that?

There isnt anything wrong with I was just saying that what they had been doing the last few years wasnt a heavy passing offense. I like to see the ball in the air quite a bit myself
:Thumbs: What you all got there is already good but W will improve it even more. Make sure those kids listen to him. He won't steer them wrong. Him and his wife are what I call "good folks"..
TongueirateSho
It's not Coach Whitaker it is the offense. If he is running the offense it will be more than the 75% and you can call it pass happy. Look at his teams in the past. It just weakens your def. so much. Listen he had the # 1 QB in the country(acording to an above post) and got beat early in the playoffs. Try to go out and throw it around a bit in 25 degree weather and ice and rain. I have made this statement several times you don't have to agree just an observsation. Give me the last "pass happy" team to win the state. I promise you one thing it won't come from eastern ky. Coach will do a great job with the offense and you will be pass happy if he has control.
Snare43 Wrote:It's not Coach Whitaker it is the offense. If he is running the offense it will be more than the 75% and you can call it pass happy. Look at his teams in the past. It just weakens your def. so much. Listen he had the # 1 QB in the country(acording to an above post) and got beat early in the playoffs. Try to go out and throw it around a bit in 25 degree weather and ice and rain. I have made this statement several times you don't have to agree just an observsation. Give me the last "pass happy" team to win the state. I promise you one thing it won't come from eastern ky. Coach will do a great job with the offense and you will be pass happy if he has control.

Breathitt three times in the last 15 years.:1:
Pass Happy? More than 75%??

If so I stand corrected.
We probably didn't throw it but about 55-60 % of the time. I don't see him changing it too much. He will let the type of players dictate how he runs this offense. We were actually pretty balanced down here.
He was hired for their QB to throw. This kid has some talent. Takes more than a QB and they may have it. DEFENSE should now be a concern.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next