•  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2009
So your saying that O and D work seperately. 11 O and 11D with a scout team each. I don't think they have the numbers. Still it will weaken a defense, takes aggressiveness out of the unit.
Snare43 Wrote:So your saying that O and D work seperately. 11 O and 11D with a scout team each. I don't think they have the numbers. Still it will weaken a defense, takes aggressiveness out of the unit.

:Thumbs:
Snare43 Wrote:So your saying that O and D work seperately. 11 O and 11D with a scout team each. I don't think they have the numbers. Still it will weaken a defense, takes aggressiveness out of the unit.
You can mix it up a little. I just think your "passing alot weakens your Defense" theory doesn't hold water. I am sure there are lots of teams that pass alot that has really tough Defenses. I don't follow your team that closely but even if they pass alot, it wont effect your D. I talked to coach W & he said even when he coached T. Couch, they never passed more than 26-30 times a game.
Everybody thinks that when you run the spread, it automatically means your goning to pass a bunch. Running the spread actually opens up the field to run better.
TongueirateSho
Well said from a team manager(lol)blitz.
Snare43 Wrote:I didn't know Coach Whitaker had elgibility left........ He won't score a touchdown or make a tackle.

good clip on LCC on the channell 57 news last night, and coach Howard was excited about Whitaker coming to impliment the spread offense and the development of Logan Johnson as qb. Seems everybody is happy except you,but you don't matter this is what going to happen so might as well get on board and start being positive about the move.:igiveup:
Let me clarify, We had seperate units on the O and D lines to keep the big guys fresh and give them a breather. I liked to keep a rotation going with my D-line so an O-lineman might get some reps on the D-line. Everybody got reps on both sides of the ball when we rotated. Our best athletes played both sides most of the time. You have to when your a 3A school.
I hope you win all of them. I just don't think that passing the ball that much puts you in that position. Just not a fan of the spread. Coach Howard knows how to win. With this offense (6-4). We will have to wait and see.:popcorn:
Coach Whitaker is about equal run/pass ratio. We have had a 1000 yard rusher each of his 2 years at Powell co.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Coach Whitaker is about equal run/pass ratio. We have had a 1000 yard rusher each of his 2 years at Powell co.

I LIKE THAT
Bentley is gonna fill that billet. If he adds some more size he is gonna be tits.
Are they being consistent in the weight room right now? How many do they have in the weight room?
Snare43 Wrote:To pass the ball 70% of the time will seriously weaken a defense. You have to practice the pass all the time. Your defense never gets to see the run during the week. When Nov. and Dec rolls around the weather will play an important roll also. If you are 70% run then thats much better.

I hear what you are saying, and as a former O linemen, I like the "run first, and continue to run it until they stop it" mentality. However, if you look at the last two 5A champions (Highlands both times) you'll find a very balanced offense (we ran the ball just a little less than 100 yds more than we passed the ball last year. I believe the same was true the prior year. In 06, we were a much more one dimensional offense (heavy, heavy run) and got beat by CovCath. Against good teams there are times when you have to pass. When we passed against CovCath in the second half of the 05 game, we were intercepted 3 times. I didn't feel we developed enough passing game during the season for "it" to be there when we needed it.

I know the mountain fans love the run game as they feel it's part of their heritage and tough, physical personna. But being one dimensional makes it much easier for defenses to prepare for. And teams will have to pass at times to win. If you don't develop the passing game by passing a lot (30% may be enough depending on what circumstances those passes are called, but I don't think 30% is enough), it really makes it tough for the kids to feel confident pass blocking, throwing the ball and catching it at the critical times.

Interesting thing to consider: even though Highlands was almost exactly 50/50 pass and run last year, in the state game, Mueller decided after the first series to run the ball almost exclusively. However in the last possession of the first half, with Highlands down 9-7, Highlands got the ball at about mid field with less than a minute left. Mueller called two pass plays back to back and Highlands scored on a pass play with about 10 seconds left. Had we not been able to pass effectively (developed thoughout the season by passing a lot), we most likely would not have scored before halftime. We did and it was a big, big momentum changer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think teams that pass 70% of the time will win state championships either in 5A. As you pointed out, bad weather comes into play for the late playoff games. Plus, when you are playing against certain teams, you need to be able to grind out drives running the ball to keep the ball out of their hands.

Balanced offenses throughout the year in my opinion are the best for winning state. They are the hardest for the defenses to prepare for and give you the flexibility to do what needs to be done in certain game situations and against certain opponents.

Just my 5 cents (too long of a post for 2 cents). :biggrin:
I hope what I hear about some of the players is not true. If so the coaches need to try and get a handle on these kids before there is a big problem. I used to be a kid but when you hear what two of these players are supposedly doing about every weekend you begin to worry!
Be more specific pal this is news to me?
Any chance that Whitaker's nephew follows him to Letcher Central? He was the QB for the Whitley County 8th grade team last year and with Whitley County going back to their power running type offense, he may be looking to change schools.
Party way too hard Hilbily
What will be our receiving unit? I heard Mckensie Smith wasn't playing this year?
I know from experience, Mike Whitaker can coach and is one of the best ever in Kentucky High School history. There is no doubt Tim had God given talent, but I can guarantee he would not have been the player he was without the coaching he recieved in high school from Mike. LCC will develop into a POWERHOUSE, probably within 2 years or less. Oh yeah, I doubt he will be an assistant. Thats a joke to even think that would be the case.
football3qb Wrote:I know from experience, Mike Whitaker can coach and is one of the best ever in Kentucky High School history. There is no doubt Tim had God given talent, but I can guarantee he would not have been the player he was without the coaching he recieved in high school from Mike. LCC will develop into a POWERHOUSE, probably within 2 years or less. Oh yeah, I doubt he will be an assistant. Thats a joke to even think that would be the case.

Coach,
Don't you just hate it when a family member gets on here without you knowing it......LOL:Cheerlead
SEKYFAN Wrote:Any chance that Whitaker's nephew follows him to Letcher Central? He was the QB for the Whitley County 8th grade team last year and with Whitley County going back to their power running type offense, he may be looking to change schools.

Was looking on another site that was saying he was so young that his parents
are going to have him repeat the 8th grade. How big is this kid and does he play other sports besides football.
football3qb Wrote:I know from experience, Mike Whitaker can coach and is one of the best ever in Kentucky High School history. There is no doubt Tim had God given talent, but I can guarantee he would not have been the player he was without the coaching he recieved in high school from Mike. LCC will develop into a POWERHOUSE, probably within 2 years or less. Oh yeah, I doubt he will be an assistant. Thats a joke to even think that would be the case.

What else has he done besides coach Tim Couch? He hasn't done anything else that I am aware he may be a good coach but he dosen't have a proven tract just yet.
Amped 88 Wrote:What else has he done besides coach Tim Couch? He hasn't done anything else that I am aware he may be a good coach but he dosen't have a proven tract just yet.

Did a little research on the khsaa site and from what i know

Leslie County 36-12 coached Greg Couch EKU
coached Tim Couch UK, Clevland Browns #1 overall
Corbin 29-14 lineman Nolan Devaugn UK
QB Floyd Whitaker Cumberland College
EKU one year as QB coach
Christian County 47-25 before he came to christian county they had won a
a total of 3 games in the past 2 years
coached qb Keith Tandy a Mr. Football candidate
who started on West Virginia bowl team this year(def)

has 2 linemen playing in the big ten
Powell County 9-12 gave Powell County the first winning season in
their history this year
QB Bill Rice signed scholarship to U.V. Wise

It looks like every job he took was a rebuilding job for the programs and done a good job:Thumbs:
cherokee Wrote:Did a little research on the khsaa site and from what i know

Leslie County 36-12 coached Greg Couch EKU
coached Tim Couch UK, Clevland Browns #1 overall
Corbin 29-14 lineman Nolan Devaugn UK
QB Floyd Whitaker Cumberland College
EKU one year as QB coach
Christian County 47-25 before he came to christian county they had won a
a total of 3 games in the past 2 years
coached qb Keith Tandy a Mr. Football candidate
who started on West Virginia bowl team this year(def)

has 2 linemen playing in the big ten
Powell County 9-12 gave Powell County the first winning season in
their history this year
QB Bill Rice signed scholarship to U.V. Wise

It looks like every job he took was a rebuilding job for the programs and done a good job:Thumbs:
\\ :Thumbs: :popcorn:
Your lucky to have the man, bottom line he is not a loser.
Whitaker is great
I think he will be a great motivator.
I am having an Eyegasm reading all that....
What is his playoff record? How many times has undefeated teams or one loss teams exited early? Not taking anything away he is a good coach, but no where close to an Eastern Ky. one of the best ever!!!
Snare43 Wrote:What is his playoff record? How many times has undefeated teams or one loss teams exited early? Not taking anything away he is a good coach, but no where close to an Eastern Ky. one of the best ever!!!

Alot of great coaches have not won a state title. Ray Grahm, Larry French, Mike Whitaker. They are still outstanding coaches and I disagree, Mike Whitaker is without a doubt one of the best coaches in the state not just Eastern ky.
Why? :eyeroll:
  •  Previous
  • 9(current)
  • Next