•  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letcher Co. Central 2009
football3qb Wrote:I know from experience, Mike Whitaker can coach and is one of the best ever in Kentucky High School history. There is no doubt Tim had God given talent, but I can guarantee he would not have been the player he was without the coaching he recieved in high school from Mike. LCC will develop into a POWERHOUSE, probably within 2 years or less. Oh yeah, I doubt he will be an assistant. Thats a joke to even think that would be the case.

Sorry, alot of coaches to consider and his names comes way down the list.
Snare43 Wrote:Why? :eyeroll:

OK, Who's your list of the top coaches from Eastern KY.?
Holcomb, He learned the spread form coach Whitaker from A to Z.
Haywood, Whitaker beat Belfry at Leslie 4 out of 5 times.
Hilton, Whitaker is 500 with Dudley, not many are.
Now I know these coaches are on gonna be on your list.
You might not but any of the top coaches from Eastern Ky. would have Mike Whitaker on their list, I promise you that.
I'm not gettin' in to all this, Whitaker is a great coach and L.C.C. is very lucky to get him.
cherokee Wrote:Did a little research on the khsaa site and from what i know

Leslie County 36-12 coached Greg Couch EKU
coached Tim Couch UK, Clevland Browns #1 overall
Corbin 29-14 lineman Nolan Devaugn UK
QB Floyd Whitaker Cumberland College
EKU one year as QB coach
Christian County 47-25 before he came to christian county they had won a
a total of 3 games in the past 2 years
coached qb Keith Tandy a Mr. Football candidate
who started on West Virginia bowl team this year(def)

has 2 linemen playing in the big ten
Powell County 9-12 gave Powell County the first winning season in
their history this year
QB Bill Rice signed scholarship to U.V. Wise

It looks like every job he took was a rebuilding job for the programs and done a good job:Thumbs:

:Thumbs:
P.C.Defense Wrote:OK, Who's your list of the top coaches from Eastern KY.?
Holcomb, He learned the spread form coach Whitaker from A to Z.
Haywood, Whitaker beat Belfry at Leslie 4 out of 5 times.
Hilton, Whitaker is 500 with Dudley, not many are.
Now I know these coaches are on gonna be on your list.
You might not but any of the top coaches from Eastern Ky. would have Mike Whitaker on their list, I promise you that.
I'm not gettin' in to all this, Whitaker is a great coach and L.C.C. is very lucky to get him.

Not one of these statements are true. You show your age with coaches that are coaching now. What about people like Ed Miracle at Lynch and a Thomas at Elkhorn City, and many others. You can't make statements like the best ever. I will say I can only remember Whitaker beating Dudley once. Just because you played for him and love him as a coach...Just don't see him as one of the best ever in Eastern KY let alone the state and it is funny you don't even bring up Coach Howard as being in the group you named. He will turn out to be a great assistant coach and has been a good head coach nothing more.:zzz:
Snare43 Wrote:Not one of these statements are true. You show your age with coaches that are coaching now. What about people like Ed Miracle at Lynch and a Thomas at Elkhorn City, and many others. You can't make statements like the best ever. I will say I can only remember Whitaker beating Dudley once. Just because you played for him and love him as a coach...Just don't see him as one of the best ever in Eastern KY let alone the state and it is funny you don't even bring up Coach Howard as being in the group you named. He will turn out to be a great assistant coach and has been a good head coach nothing more.:zzz:

Interesting rebuttal. I agree the original post said Whitaker was one of the best coaches in Ky and it wasn't limited to eastern Kentucky. When I think of the great Ky high school football coaches, I think of Harp, of Smith, of Schneider, of Yeagle, of Mueller, of Beatty, of Glaser, of Hilton; all guys who have won multiple state championships. Seems like Whitaker has done a good job in the past as an assistant and head coach, but in my opinion, he's not in the aforementioned coaches' league. At least not anyways.
charlie22 Wrote:Interesting rebuttal. I agree the original post said Whitaker was one of the best coaches in Ky and it wasn't limited to eastern Kentucky. When I think of the great Ky high school football coaches, I think of Harp, of Smith, of Schneider, of Yeagle, of Mueller, of Beatty, of Glaser, of Hilton; all guys who have won multiple state championships. Seems like Whitaker has done a good job in the past as an assistant and head coach, but in my opinion, he's not in the aforementioned coaches' league. At least not anyways.

I was just mentioning those that come to mind earlier and in Eastern KY. as far as the state goes no way. We can sit and name many, not taking anything away from Whitaker he is a good coach and a great hire it is the statements of one of the best in the state I just can't grasp.:HitWall:
Snare43 Wrote:Not one of these statements are true. You show your age with coaches that are coaching now. What about people like Ed Miracle at Lynch and a Thomas at Elkhorn City, and many others. You can't make statements like the best ever. I will say I can only remember Whitaker beating Dudley once. Just because you played for him and love him as a coach...Just don't see him as one of the best ever in Eastern KY let alone the state and it is funny you don't even bring up Coach Howard as being in the group you named. He will turn out to be a great assistant coach and has been a good head coach nothing more.:zzz:

Your full of crap there bud. You tell me how many times Belfry beat Leslie when coach Whitaker was there with Greg and Tim Couch? Coach Whitaker killed Breathitt in 94' 56-0 and YES COACH WHITAKER TAUGHT MIKE HOLCOMB THE SPREAD OFFENSE. "NOT ONE OF THESE STATEMENTS ARE TRUE" You are wrong.
Ask Holcomb who taught him the spread? He'll tell you.
Tell me his post season record and that will answer all your questions.

Coach Holcomb owes him a big thank you for all those state championships.
Snare43 Wrote:Tell me his post season record and that will answer all your questions.

Coach Holcomb owes him a big thank you for all those state championships.

I'm gonna' let it go on this. When you talk about the best coaches in Eastern Ky., There is no way you leave Mike Whitaker's name out. He brought and taught the over-all no.1 draft pick in the N.F.L. straight out of Hyden, Ky.
I'm done with this one.:dontthink
Alot more goes into being a great coach than just championshps, sure those who have won them have to be mentioned. But alot can be said about a coach that goes into schools that aren't your typical powerhouse schools and makes them competitive with those powerhouses. Plus, you have to consider the amount of players a coach puts into the next level, Whitaker has consistently helped get a high number into college. To me that's a much better long-term achievement than a state title, because then you are helping a young man that may not have any advantage in life get further than he would have otherwise. Also being a great coach is having the respect of your peers, which he has. Too many of you all get on here just to bash anybody who is the topic of the day and I think you all, in multiple threads, just need to grow up and get a life and quit trying to relive glory days that were never there via the internet.
Winning is the bottom line. Statements such as, the best ever, greatest of all time, best in the state are written and said without thought. I have not bashed Coach Whitaker actually said he was a good coach.
Snare43 Wrote:Winning is the bottom line. Statements such as, the best ever, greatest of all time, best in the state are written and said without thought. I have not bashed Coach Whitaker actually said he was a good coach.

I will have to agree with you snare 43 there is no way that Mike Whitaker is one of the best coaches in SEasten Ky let alone the whole state. And I am not even going to say that because he has never won a state title what has he done beside winning 1 regional title with Leslie when Tim Couch was there. I think that anyone could have coached Tim Couch. They had the best team in class AAA that year and they got beat by Cov Cath. So I don't think that you know what you are talking about.
Amped 88 Wrote:I will have to agree with you snare 43 there is no way that Mike Whitaker is one of the best coaches in SEasten Ky let alone the whole state. And I am not even going to say that because he has never won a state title what has he done beside winning 1 regional title with Leslie when Tim Couch was there. I think that anyone could have coached Tim Couch. They had the best team in class AAA that year and they got beat by Cov Cath. So I don't think that you know what you are talking about.

This is a L.C.C. thread and I mentioned coach Whitaker is a great coach and L.C.C. is very fortunate to get Mike Whitaker. Your runnin' it in the ground, drop it.
P.C.Defense Wrote:This is a L.C.C. thread and I mentioned coach Whitaker is a great coach and L.C.C. is very fortunate to get Mike Whitaker. Your runnin' it in the ground, drop it.

I can read the thread and I know that it is an LCC thread he is an LCC coach so that makes it relevant.:Thumbs:
Amped 88 Wrote:I will have to agree with you snare 43 there is no way that Mike Whitaker is one of the best coaches in SEasten Ky let alone the whole state. And I am not even going to say that because he has never won a state title what has he done beside winning 1 regional title with Leslie when Tim Couch was there. I think that anyone could have coached Tim Couch. They had the best team in class AAA that year and they got beat by Cov Cath. So I don't think that you know what you are talking about.

Not anyone, Bill Curry couldn't(lol)
Cmon' now. You speak as if it was a "SHOCKER" that they got beat by COV.CATH.. ARE YOU KIDDIN ME? That speaks volumes of how much you know.
Cov. Cath and Highlands owned 3A. Leslie must have been pretty dag-gone bad to be undefeated and then of all things lose to Covington Catholic in the State Semi's. Cov.Cath. lucked out again and won the state champioship that year. If you knew anything you would know Cov.Cath was better than Highlands during that time frame. How many times has Bell lost to Cov.Cath or Highlands? I forgot about the drubbing Bell got in the region that year. Now is that why your mad?
how many state championships does the guy have? HAYWOOD has 2 and 4 runnerups and several final four..
cuppett777 Wrote:how many state championships does the guy have? HAYWOOD has 2 and 4 runnerups and several final four..

Haywood is a GREAT coach and one of the BEST.
Alot of great coaches don't win state championships.
Things just don't pan out(you know what I mean)
Someone could not win a title, go somewhere and win.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Cmon' now. You speak as if it was a "SHOCKER" that they got beat by COV.CATH.. ARE YOU KIDDIN ME? That speaks volumes of how much you know.
Cov. Cath and Highlands owned 3A. Leslie must have been pretty dag-gone bad to be undefeated and then of all things lose to Covington Catholic in the State Semi's. Cov.Cath. lucked out again and won the state champioship that year. If you knew anything you would know Cov.Cath was better than Highlands during that time frame. How many times has Bell lost to Cov.Cath or Highlands? I forgot about the drubbing Bell got in the region that year. Now is that why your mad?

No one is mad, you are turning this around. We think Mike is a good coach. It is the loose tounges on here we have a problem with. Statements without thinking, in saying that he is one of the best in the state ever. Rethink that statement.....explain your criteria, because there are alot more with your way of thinking.

By the way he didn't make Tim Couch, Tim's brother made him. Whitaker didn't even coach him his senior year.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Cmon' now. You speak as if it was a "SHOCKER" that they got beat by COV.CATH.. ARE YOU KIDDIN ME? That speaks volumes of how much you know.

If you are talking about Couch's senior year, I'm pretty certain that Leslie lost to Highlands not CovCath in the playoffs. As I recall, my nephew intercepted Tim's last high school pass attempt.
Snare43 Wrote:No one is mad, you are turning this around. We think Mike is a good coach. It is the loose tounges on here we have a problem with. Statements without thinking, in saying that he is one of the best in the state ever. Rethink that statement.....explain your criteria, because there are alot more with your way of thinking.

By the way he didn't make Tim Couch, Tim's brother made him. Whitaker didn't even coach him his senior year.

snare 43 you have been negative on every post concerning Whitaker,jealousy will get you no where get over it you are making a fool of your self. Whitaker is a winner that can develop great QB's. Built the Leslie County program,rebuilt the Christan County progfram,won about 70% of his games at Corbin,gave Powell their first and only winning season in history etc. Tell us of your great accomplishments ha ha ha
Snare43 Wrote:Why? :eyeroll:
Cause he "just wins baby"
Snare43 Wrote:No one is mad, you are turning this around. We think Mike is a good coach. It is the loose tounges on here we have a problem with. Statements without thinking, in saying that he is one of the best in the state ever. Rethink that statement.....explain your criteria, because there are alot more with your way of thinking.

You didn't think at all on your statement. Coach Whitaker taught Tim's brother, Greg .Don't be a moron. Leslie's BEST team ever was Tim's jr. year, We all know Beder was there the following. You are the one with a loose tounge and if there was ever an un-true statement , You just typed it. :dontthink
charlie22 Wrote:If you are talking about Couch's senior year, I'm pretty certain that Leslie lost to Highlands not CovCath in the playoffs. As I recall, my nephew intercepted Tim's last high school pass attempt.

Man, you guys don't stop and think at all do you?
First off I said L.C.C. was lucky to get a great coach like coach like Mike Whitaker, a proven winner everywhere he's been and I.M.O.(and alot of other peoples as well) one of the best coaches in Eastern Ky. That's what I said and here comes the NEGATIVITY. Are you kiddin' me! Charlie, You know if I referenced the Cov. Cath. game then I'm not talkin' about his Sr. year.
cherokee Wrote:snare 43 you have been negative on every post concerning Whitaker,jealousy will get you no where get over it you are making a fool of your self. Whitaker is a winner that can develop great QB's. Built the Leslie County program,rebuilt the Christan County progfram,won about 70% of his games at Corbin,gave Powell their first and only winning season in history etc. Tell us of your great accomplishments ha ha ha

A pure one at that.
P.C.Defense Wrote:Man, you guys don't stop and think at all do you?
First off I said L.C.C. was lucky to get a great coach like coach like Mike Whitaker, a proven winner everywhere he's been and I.M.O.(and alot of other peoples as well) one of the best coaches in Eastern Ky. That's what I said and here comes the NEGATIVITY. Are you kiddin' me! Charlie, You know if I referenced the Cov. Cath. game then I'm not talkin' about his Sr. year.

Actually I think all the time, thank you very much.

I don't really get where you think my question/point of clarification has anything negative whatsoever to deal with Whitaker. Nor have I ever disputed your opinion that Whitaker may be one of the best coaches in eastern Ky. If so, please point it out and I will gladly apologize. If you don't, then perhaps it is you that should be apologizing for accusing me of not thinking.

I did say that I didn't consider Whitaker at this time to be in the same league as some of the best coaches in the state. I was responding not to your point, but a point made by another poster that said he was one of the best coaches in the STATE, not just eastern Kentucky. Do you think my opinion is incorrect? Do you think that Whitaker's accomplishments are in the same league as Beatty, Hilton, Yeagle, Mueller, Schneider, etc? He may be a great coach, I'll take your word on it (and have never said anything to the contrary, have I?) but until he's won multiple state championships I think it's hard to say he's one of the best coaches in the state (which again, another poster stated).

And again, I did not say your post about losing to CovCath was incorrect. I simply pointed out that if you were referring to Tim's playoff loss his senior year, the loss was to Highlands. Don't know why that got your boxers in a bunch the way it did to generate your response to me.

P.S. You were absolutely correct about one thing. In the first half of the 90's, CovCath "owned" Highlands. From 90 through 94, Highlands only won 1 matchup with CovCath and lost the other 6. Fortunately, in 95, things turned around and in the second half, Highlands won 7 and lost 1. Since 2000, the trend has continued. Highlands has only lost to CovCath 3 times in this decade.

I don't think that you know what you are talking about I was there when Leslie County beat Bell County and Whitaker was told that he could have everything that Bell had on Cov Cath and he refused any help. You call that a good coach. IIf you might recall Bell County has more success against any of the teams up North than any other team in South Eastern KY. Bell beat Cov Cath in 1990, 1991 which won the title. Bell has beaten Highlands in 1991, 1993 and has played their tales off many other times more than anyone can say in S-Eastern KY. I am not saying that he isn't a good coach but he is definitely not one of the best. What did he do at Corbin he probably had on of the best teams Corbin had in a long time in 1996 and got beat by Mad. Southern in the second round of the playoffs. Christian County 2 years after he left went the finals and he had notheing to do with it. I understand tha you are a Whitaker fan but you evidently don't understand the game.
charlie22 Wrote:Actually I think all the time, thank you very much.

I don't really get where you think my question/point of clarification has anything negative whatsoever to deal with Whitaker. Nor have I ever disputed your opinion that Whitaker may be one of the best coaches in eastern Ky. If so, please point it out and I will gladly apologize. If you don't, then perhaps it is you that should be apologizing for accusing me of not thinking.

I did say that I didn't consider Whitaker at this time to be in the same league as some of the best coaches in the state. I was responding not to your point, but a point made by another poster that said he was one of the best coaches in the STATE, not just eastern Kentucky. Do you think my opinion is incorrect? Do you think that Whitaker's accomplishments are in the same league as Beatty, Hilton, Yeagle, Mueller, Schneider, etc? He may be a great coach, I'll take your word on it (and have never said anything to the contrary, have I?) but until he's won multiple state championships I think it's hard to say he's one of the best coaches in the state (which again, another poster stated).

And again, I did not say your post about losing to CovCath was incorrect. I simply pointed out that if you were referring to Tim's playoff loss his senior year, the loss was to Highlands. Don't know why that got your boxers in a bunch the way it did to generate your response to me.

P.S. You were absolutely correct about one thing. In the first half of the 90's, CovCath "owned" Highlands. From 90 through 94, Highlands only won 1 matchup with CovCath and lost the other 6. Fortunately, in 95, things turned around and in the second half, Highlands won 7 and lost 1. Since 2000, the trend has continued. Highlands has only lost to CovCath 3 times in this decade.

I quoted you on the time frame. You are not being negative and that was not directed towards you about being negative. Coach Whitaker was there Tim's jr. year and they played Cov.Cath. in the state semi's in 94'. Beder was the head coach the following year and they lost to Highlands. I was speaking of the year before on which you quoted. But we know that now(LOL)
If you feel that confident that he is one of the best ever, so be it. You need to go back and read the post that I responded to.

Are you a family member or just the president of the fan club?
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)
  • Next