Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh 27 Kentucky 10
Benchwarmer Wrote:Last year, 14 years before that and 22 years before that. Blah Blah, blah.
Alabama had one heck of a non conference schedule.

Alabama Non-conference teams
Power team from the western atheletic San Jose State
National Champion contender every other year, Duke
First year program that will compete for national champ. next year- Georgia State

West Virginia Non_Conferences schedule
A team that could win any BCS conference- Coastal Carolina
Power from the Conference USA-Marshall
A team that year in and year out compete against the best and could beat any team in the SEC- UNLV

Looks like these two teams have one heck of a non-conference schedule.
Yeah, well while your attempt at humor was well...pathetic, what did Kentucky have? Check..what has Kentucky EVER played? Louisville hasnt been relevant in five years. Your hatred for Alabama aside, just answer that question. Who has Kentucky played on their non conference schedule in the last five freakin years that has rivaled lets say....a Maryland. Or how about a Penn State? Go ahead and post your "a team that could win any BCS conference" before your team so you can laugh at yourself and think youve made a funny (you havent yet). Its old. Just answer the question. Ill be waiting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Why is everyone concerned about UK's non conf schedule? Look who they have in conf.... If they was more of a power in the SEC then I would want them to have a tougher non-conf but untill they move from lower/mid of the SEC I think they better keep playing the same type of schedule.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Why is everyone concerned about UK's non conf schedule? Look who they have in conf.... If they was more of a power in the SEC then I would want them to have a tougher non-conf but untill they move from lower/mid of the SEC I think they better keep playing the same type of schedule.
I can agree with this. But Jeez-0-pete, Bama schedules San Jose State and Benchwarmer wants them thrown out of the SEC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I can agree with this. But Jeez-0-pete, Bama schedules San Jose State and Benchwarmer wants them thrown out of the SEC.
You can't play top ten teams every week and go undefeated. I don't care who you are. Every team plays some cup cakes now and then.
By the way yea Bama's non-conf was cake but they did play 7 teams ranked in the top 25. Not including their bowl game in which they destroyed Mich St.
Amun-Ra Wrote:You can't play top ten teams every week and go undefeated. I don't care who you are. Every team plays some cup cakes now and then.
By the way yea Bama's non-conf was cake but they did play 7 teams ranked in the top 25. Not including their bowl game in which they destroyed Mich St.
By no means am I taking up for the non conference scheduling, but it was no worse than anybody elses in the SEC...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:By no means am I taking up for the non conference scheduling, but it was no worse than anybody elses in the SEC...
Oh no. I just pointed that out so I could show Bama played 7 top 25 teams this year. I say after a schedule like that they deserved some creampuffs.
Lol You cant play in the sec and not schedule some cupcakes.
Stardust Wrote:I have argued against UK's current schedule as well. The point I have tried to make is if you want to get better, beat better opponents. UK has beaten the cupcakes, but those games have done nothing to prepare them for the better teams in the SEC. It would be a different argument if UK was a top echelon team and was taking a break in their schedule. But this all centered around the Bowl game UK plays each season. With their current schedule, their non-conference schedule is too weak to get them out of the bowls that they get each year.

And the final point is about recruiting. If you are a potential recruit, you certainly are looking at the conference that you are playing in as one of your factors of going to a school. But right up there is playing in a Bowl game. I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games that UK gets invited to annually is not doing anything for recruiting.

I'd argue that if UK played low level BCS schools they should beat them. If they beat these types of schools their SOS will increase significantly. If their SOS increases, the bigger bowls will come calling. By doing all of this, you will start landing better recruits. By landing better recruits, your program gets better and makes you more competitive and in a better position to compete with the top teams in the SEC. IMO, it all goes hand-in-hand.

Amun-Ra Wrote:Why is everyone concerned about UK's non conf schedule? Look who they have in conf.... If they was more of a power in the SEC then I would want them to have a tougher non-conf but untill they move from lower/mid of the SEC I think they better keep playing the same type of schedule.

Amun-Ra, I posted earlier in the thread my reasons and what I think UK should do. Take a look at that and let me know your thoughts.

UK is not elite, and doing things the way they are now will not get them to be in any better situation than what they are already in. They have peaked, they won't bet over this hump without a change. For a team like Bama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, they are well above an average football program, so their scheduling need not change. But if UK ever wants to take the next step, they have to get better players. To get better players, they have to do a host of things to get those players.

A recruit does not want to come to UK just to play in the SEC, there are other factors. One of which is to play in meaningful Bowl games. UK plays in the "X-Box I don't Care" bowl because of their non-conference strength of schedule. If they want to play in a truly meaningful bowl, I'm not talking BCS bowl, but a meaningful bowl, then playing WKU is not going to help their cause.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah, well while your attempt at humor was well...pathetic, what did Kentucky have? Check..what has Kentucky EVER played? Louisville hasnt been relevant in five years. Your hatred for Alabama aside, just answer that question. Who has Kentucky played on their non conference schedule in the last five freakin years that has rivaled lets say....a Maryland. Or how about a Penn State? Go ahead and post your "a team that could win any BCS conference" before your team so you can laugh at yourself and think youve made a funny (you havent yet). Its old. Just answer the question. Ill be waiting.
As far as trying to humor people, I was not. I never said Kentucky has played a good non-conference schedule. But, you complain about Kentucky playing a weak non-conference schedule well Alabama does as well. As far as being old it must not be or you wouldn't reply to all my post. And, the only thing funny is someone living in Letcher County that thinks they no all about Alabama. It's funny how you have made post about how you hate Auburn like you no about the Auburn and Alabama rivalry.

Alabama made adjustment to their 2011 schedule. What an up grade for a power team that is suppose to compete for a national championship every year.
North Texas 3-9
Kent State 5-7
Georgia State ?
Schedule who you want. It takes a great coach to win in College football. And Great Recruits. Kentucky will not get that with Joker.
Benchwarmer Wrote:As far as trying to humor people, I was not. I never said Kentucky has played a good non-conference schedule. But, you complain about Kentucky playing a weak non-conference schedule well Alabama does as well. As far as being old it must not be or you wouldn't reply to all my post. And, the only thing funny is someone living in Letcher County that thinks they no all about Alabama. It's funny how you have made post about how you hate Auburn like you no about the Auburn and Alabama rivalry.

Alabama made adjustment to their 2011 schedule. What an up grade for a power team that is suppose to compete for a national championship every year.
North Texas 3-9
Kent State 5-7
Georgia State ?
Brother, you have no clue who I am. I would put my knowledge of Alabama football against ANYBODY in Alabama. I would put my knowledge of college football altogether against anybody anywhere anytime. I know more than you ever will when it comes to college football. I have forgotten more than you'll ever know. Now what the crap does being from Letcher County have to do with anything? If you'd take five minutes to read my post you'd see that the schedule I think UK SHOULD PLAY (again, its only an opinion) isnt all that much different than the one they play now. It wasnt a shot at UK. I said simply that a UK-Duke would be a fun matchup, and should be an easy W for the Cats. I believe even you would agree that the UK-Indiana rivalry should be brought back, and UK is a better program than IU. UK and Louisville stays put, and then schedule a nobody. Its not that much different than the one they play now. It just LOOKS better. As far as Bama goes, yeah you conveniently left out the road game against Penn State. You can hate Bama all you friggin want to, but theyre still gonna challenge for a national title, and you can cry all you want about their schedule.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Amun-Ra, I posted earlier in the thread my reasons and what I think UK should do. Take a look at that and let me know your thoughts.

UK is not elite, and doing things the way they are now will not get them to be in any better situation than what they are already in. They have peaked, they won't bet over this hump without a change. For a team like Bama, Florida, LSU, Auburn, they are well above an average football program, so their scheduling need not change. But if UK ever wants to take the next step, they have to get better players. To get better players, they have to do a host of things to get those players.

A recruit does not want to come to UK just to play in the SEC, there are other factors. One of which is to play in meaningful Bowl games. UK plays in the "X-Box I don't Care" bowl because of their non-conference strength of schedule. If they want to play in a truly meaningful bowl, I'm not talking BCS bowl, but a meaningful bowl, then playing WKU is not going to help their cause.

I have to disagree with you Dusty. With the same schedule, if UK beats Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Tennessee, then they are 9-3 instead of 6-6. 9-3 gets you in a meaningful bowl with the same schedule. That would put the only three lossed being to Florida, Auburn, and Georgia. I bet that 9-3 with that schedule gets them a very good bowl. To step up, UK doesn't need to play more tough teams, just beat the SEC teams who are middle of the pack. That's why Alabama, Florida, and teams like that go to the good bowls, they beat the teams they have to.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Brother, you have no clue who I am. I would put my knowledge of Alabama football against ANYBODY in Alabama. I would put my knowledge of college football altogether against anybody anywhere anytime. I know more than you ever will when it comes to college football. I have forgotten more than you'll ever know. Now what the crap does being from Letcher County have to do with anything? If you'd take five minutes to read my post you'd see that the schedule I think UK SHOULD PLAY (again, its only an opinion) isnt all that much different than the one they play now. It wasnt a shot at UK. I said simply that a UK-Duke would be a fun matchup, and should be an easy W for the Cats. I believe even you would agree that the UK-Indiana rivalry should be brought back, and UK is a better program than IU. UK and Louisville stays put, and then schedule a nobody. Its not that much different than the one they play now. It just LOOKS better. As far as Bama goes, yeah you conveniently left out the road game against Penn State. You can hate Bama all you friggin want to, but theyre still gonna challenge for a national title, and you can cry all you want about their schedule.

:thatsfunn

Read post 54 there "stump the swab".
Shady Grady Wrote:I have to disagree with you Dusty. With the same schedule, if UK beats Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Tennessee, then they are 9-3 instead of 6-6. 9-3 gets you in a meaningful bowl with the same schedule. That would put the only three lossed being to Florida, Auburn, and Georgia. I bet that 9-3 with that schedule gets them a very good bowl. To step up, UK doesn't need to play more tough teams, just beat the SEC teams who are middle of the pack. That's why Alabama, Florida, and teams like that go to the good bowls, they beat the teams they have to.

Grady, I agree and have been saying this all along. Strength of schedule, Rpi, blah, blah blah blah. None of these factor in to what bowl we play in. With the same schedule we have and UK finishes with 8. 9. or more wins, UK WOULD play in a bigger more meaningful bowl game. The SEC tie in to bowl games and order of finish in conference dictates what game your in, not who you play. So if UK can just win the winnable games the better bowls will come.
Benchwarmer Wrote::thatsfunn

Your point being? Or have you already forgotten? By the way, Im still waiting on an answer to my post from last night (you know, about a relevant team on UK's schedule the last five years?)...We all know everybody plays cupcakes. Yes, Im the Schwab. You are the people I send home.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Benchwarmer Wrote::thatsfunn

Speaking of SCHWAB, I bet I know more about your own team than you do..which isnt saying much to begin with, lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Your point being? Or have you already forgotten? By the way, Im still waiting on an answer to my post from last night (you know, about a relevant team on UK's schedule the last five years?)...We all know everybody plays cupcakes. Yes, Im the Schwab. You are the people I send home.

Let me see. I said I agree. Meaning I agreed with the person that was quoted in that post.I agreed UK needs to pick-up one more team that is descent. So does Alabama need to toughen up their schedule or are they satisfied with playing one good team and rest cupcakes?

2005 #11 Lville
2006 #4 Lville
2007 #9 Lville

Anything else.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Speaking of SCHWAB, I bet I know more about your own team than you do..which isnt saying much to begin with, lol...

And?
Benchwarmer Wrote:Let me see. I said I agree. Meaning I agreed with the person that was quoted in that post.I agreed UK needs to pick-up one more team that is descent. So does Alabama need to toughen up their schedule or are they satisfied with playing one good team and rest cupcakes?

2005 #11 Lville
2006 #4 Lville
2007 #9 Lville

Anything else.
Lville in 05 and 06 was legit. The '07 team didnt even make a bowl game. But Ill give you that one. Why does Bama need to toughen up their schedule? They play a freakin top 10-15 team every single season. Couple that with the SEC gauntlet and thats all anybody needs. But I wouldnt expect a Bama hater to understand anyways. Another thing, I didnt say UK needed to overhaul the whole schedule. Im saying that UK could jumpstart the program by putting Indiana back on the schedule. Louisville and Indiana would look much better than Louisville and Akron, or Western. Its a game that UK should win every year. That and the people buying the season tickets (that raise every year)wouldnt gripe as much if there was something to play for. UK and Indiana was a nice little rivalry for a long time. I'd like to see it come back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Lville in 05 and 06 was legit. The '07 team didnt even make a bowl game. But Ill give you that one. Why does Bama need to toughen up their schedule? They play a freakin top 10-15 team every single season. Couple that with the SEC gauntlet and thats all anybody needs. But I wouldnt expect a Bama hater to understand anyways. Another thing, I didnt say UK needed to overhaul the whole schedule. Im saying that UK could jumpstart the program by putting Indiana back on the schedule. Louisville and Indiana would look much better than Louisville and Akron, or Western. Its a game that UK should win every year. That and the people buying the season tickets (that raise every year)wouldnt gripe as much if there was something to play for. UK and Indiana was a nice little rivalry for a long time. I'd like to see it come back.

05 no top 15 team
06 no top 15 team
07 no top 15 team
Shady Grady Wrote:I have to disagree with you Dusty. With the same schedule, if UK beats Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Tennessee, then they are 9-3 instead of 6-6. 9-3 gets you in a meaningful bowl with the same schedule. That would put the only three lossed being to Florida, Auburn, and Georgia. I bet that 9-3 with that schedule gets them a very good bowl. To step up, UK doesn't need to play more tough teams, just beat the SEC teams who are middle of the pack. That's why Alabama, Florida, and teams like that go to the good bowls, they beat the teams they have to.

I have disagree with you Shady. UK looked so unprepared for the speed that Ole Miss. had. Ole Miss's speed was not that great compared to other teams in the SEC. The throws that Hartline was completing against WKU, Akron, and UofL. were getting knocked down or intercepted because Ole Miss was quicker than the other opponents, Hartline and the receivers did not know how to adjust.
I am OK playing one cupcake. I believe if UK would have played someone tougher (not USC or Ohio St.) from a BCS conference, they would have been more prepared for the speed of the SEC in the first games. They also would have known how to react the first time UK faced adversity. Playing nothing but cupcakes gave them a false sense of security, IMO, and they thought they were better than what they were.
Benchwarmer Wrote:As far as trying to humor people, I was not. I never said Kentucky has played a good non-conference schedule. But, you complain about Kentucky playing a weak non-conference schedule well Alabama does as well. As far as being old it must not be or you wouldn't reply to all my post. And, the only thing funny is someone living in Letcher County that thinks they no all about Alabama. It's funny how you have made post about how you hate Auburn like you no about the Auburn and Alabama rivalry.

North Texas 3-9
Kent State 5-7
Georgia State ?

I would like to know why they need an upgrade? They beat or compete with Florida, yearly. And they can win against any other team in the sec. They are expected too. If uk happens to win against one of the tougher teams then it helps then considering they played wku or someone like that. My point being Alabama schedules cupcakes for a breather. Ky relies on the cupcakes for wins. And that's what needs to change
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
crazytaxidriver Wrote:I would like to know why they need an upgrade? They beat or compete with Florida, yearly. And they can win against any other team in the sec. They are expected too. If uk happens to win against one of the tougher teams then it helps then considering they played wku or someone like that. My point being Alabama schedules cupcakes for a breather. Ky relies on the cupcakes for wins. And that's what needs to change

Why would you need a breather at the beginning of a season? So it's ok for people to down grade a team for playing a weak schedule and then say its ok for other teams to do it? I dont understand the reasoning.

As far as the bold I agree.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Brother, you have no clue who I am. I would put my knowledge of Alabama football against ANYBODY in Alabama. I would put my knowledge of college football altogether against anybody anywhere anytime. I know more than you ever will when it comes to college football. I have forgotten more than you'll ever know. Now what the crap does being from Letcher County have to do with anything? If you'd take five minutes to read my post you'd see that the schedule I think UK SHOULD PLAY (again, its only an opinion) isnt all that much different than the one they play now. It wasnt a shot at UK. I said simply that a UK-Duke would be a fun matchup, and should be an easy W for the Cats. I believe even you would agree that the UK-Indiana rivalry should be brought back, and UK is a better program than IU. UK and Louisville stays put, and then schedule a nobody. Its not that much different than the one they play now. It just LOOKS better. As far as Bama goes, yeah you conveniently left out the road game against Penn State. You can hate Bama all you friggin want to, but theyre still gonna challenge for a national title, and you can cry all you want about their schedule.

LOL Lord this has killed me. Great post though.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Speaking of SCHWAB, I bet I know more about your own team than you do..which isnt saying much to begin with, lol...

Are you calling me stupid?
Jarons Wrote:I have disagree with you Shady. UK looked so unprepared for the speed that Ole Miss. had. Ole Miss's speed was not that great compared to other teams in the SEC. The throws that Hartline was completing against WKU, Akron, and UofL. were getting knocked down or intercepted because Ole Miss was quicker than the other opponents, Hartline and the receivers did not know how to adjust.
I am OK playing one cupcake. I believe if UK would have played someone tougher (not USC or Ohio St.) from a BCS conference, they would have been more prepared for the speed of the SEC in the first games. They also would have known how to react the first time UK faced adversity. Playing nothing but cupcakes gave them a false sense of security, IMO, and they thought they were better than what they were.

If you are okay with them playing one cupcake, and they finished 6-6 last season, would you be okay paying the ticket prices to see a 4-8 team? What none of you have ever stated on this thread is the fact that while playing a brutal SEC schedule, EVERY team needs some cupcakes for no other reason but to allow injured players to heal. Everybody talks about UK's schedule. Let's look at UK's and a few of the others. UK's non conference: Louisville (this is a state mandated game and one never knows what Louisville will have. Even in their off years, this is an instate rivalry that is a big game), Western Kentucky (If they play a cupcake, at least keep some of the money in state), Akron, Charleston Southern. The schedule included a five game stretch that had games with Florida, Ole Miss, Auburn, South Carolina, and Georgia. Now year in and year out, that is a tough five games. So that makes UK's schedule three cupcakes plus Louisville. South Carolina had non conference games with Southern Miss, Furman, and Troy. Arkansas had non conference games with Tennessee Tech, Louisiana Monroe, and UTEP. Alabama had non conference games with San Jose State, Duke, and Georgia State. Auburn had non conference games with Arkansas State, Loisiana Monroe, and Chattanooga. Florida had non conference games with Florida Atlantic, Alabama Birmingham, and Furman. Now how does any of these schools' three games differ much from Western Kentucky, Akron, and Charleston Southern? So, again, the answer is not beefing up the schedule, the answer is spending more money on recruiting and coaching and beating the teams on the current schedule.

UK will not beat those teams without better players. Better players come from playing in better bowls. They go hand in hand. Bama and Florida don't only beat the teams in their conference, they beat Florida State, Miami, Penn St. and Va. Tech.

I'm not saying that UK has to play top 10 teams, I'm saying UK needs to drop WKU & play Illinois, which they should beat. I'm saying drop Akron and play Duke, which they should beat. That gives them credibility, thus better bowls, thus better players, thus they can beat the other mid-level SEC teams, thus I would pay a lot more for a ticket price.

You cannot compare UK's schedule with the elite teams, because those teams have DESEVERED to schedule those games. UK should be fighting to get past where they are currently at!

UK is as good as they are going to be, they have peaked. If they continue doing things the way they are doing them, then we will never see anything better.
Stardust Wrote:UK will not beat those teams without better players. Better players come from playing in better bowls. They go hand in hand. Bama and Florida don't only beat the teams in their conference, they beat Florida State, Miami, Penn St. and Va. Tech.

I'm not saying that UK has to play top 10 teams, I'm saying UK needs to drop WKU & play Illinois, which they should beat. I'm saying drop Akron and play Duke, which they should beat. That gives them credibility, thus better bowls, thus better players, thus they can beat the other mid-level SEC teams, thus I would pay a lot more for a ticket price.

You cannot compare UK's schedule with the elite teams, because those teams have DESEVERED to schedule those games. UK should be fighting to get past where they are currently at!

UK is as good as they are going to be, they have peaked. If they continue doing things the way they are doing them, then we will never see anything better.

The bowl they go to does not hinge on playing Akron or Illinois. It hinges on beating the conference teams. Like I said earlier, if UK beats Ole Miss, Miss. St. and Tenn., they are 9-3 and a good bowl. Also, what you don't understand is that teams like Illinois will want a home and home. It's all about the money. UK needs 7 home games a year, just like all SEC schools. Better coaching, better preparation, UK is 9-3 last season and a better bowl. And that includes playing Akron, Western, and Charleston Southern. All other big time schools have big time coaches with big time recruiting budgets. Therein lies the shortfall.
Well said!
Shady Grady Wrote:The bowl they go to does not hinge on playing Akron or Illinois. It hinges on beating the conference teams. Like I said earlier, if UK beats Ole Miss, Miss. St. and Tenn., they are 9-3 and a good bowl. Also, what you don't understand is that teams like Illinois will want a home and home. It's all about the money. UK needs 7 home games a year, just like all SEC schools. Better coaching, better preparation, UK is 9-3 last season and a better bowl. And that includes playing Akron, Western, and Charleston Southern. All other big time schools have big time coaches with big time recruiting budgets. Therein lies the shortfall.

You still have not said better players. Better players would beat Ole Miss, Mss. St and UT. I've already outlined how to get those better players, because the players we have is NOT good enough to beat those three teams.