•  Previous
  • 38(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
Instead they have no fish.
It is back to the drawing board, but Whitley fans should be happy they tried to go big.
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
Just because you asked out the prettiest girl in school doesn't mean you went big. Gotta know you me limits and exactly what is best for your program. I guess Dudley didn't like the canada town real estate he saw.
Im not in the know at Whitley, but I'm hearing from several sources now that Dudley has declined they will hire from within the system. I'm by no means a WC fan, but this would be a little dissapointing. I was hoping for a hire that would bring some life into the program and community.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Im not in the know at Whitley, but I'm hearing from several sources now that Dudley has declined they will hire from within the system. I'm by no means a WC fan, but this would be a little dissapointing. I was hoping for a hire that would bring some life into the program and community.

I agree, they need a new direction and it is not within the system they just finished 1-10 that was not all Jim Blacks fault. If South Laurel wanted to make a good move they would hire Jim Black.
cherokee Wrote:I agree, they need a new direction and it is not within the system they just finished 1-10 that was not all Jim Blacks fault. If South Laurel wanted to make a good move they would hire Jim Black.

What direction??? If it wasn't all Coach Black fault, which I don't think it was' who else was to blame, assistant coaches, AD, Super, parents, fans, players? 2008 Whitley was regional champion running same system as now with most of same coaches. This year after losing several very good seniors and having numerous injuries they fall to 1-10 and now it wasn't all Coach Blacks fault but no one within system is worthy.
I know this if Coach Black had resigned today everyone would be saying, oh he at least resigned early enough to get a coach before spring practice, so IMO ANYONE who would have taken the job in Nov. will still take it Feb!!!!
footballfever Wrote:What direction??? If it wasn't all Coach Black fault, which I don't think it was' who else was to blame, assistant coaches, AD, Super, parents, fans, players? 2008 Whitley was regional champion running same system as now with most of same coaches. This year after losing several very good seniors and having numerous injuries they fall to 1-10 and now it wasn't all Coach Blacks fault but no one within system is worthy.
I know this if Coach Black had resigned today everyone would be saying, oh he at least resigned early enough to get a coach before spring practice, so IMO ANYONE who would have taken the job in Nov. will still take it Feb!!!!

If Whitley wouldn't have had the injury issues, they would have been more competitive. I have said numerous times that Black can coach. He really built a good foundation at Williamsburg and won a region title at Whitley.
I think IMO that they could get a quality coach from within. I know I will get some flack for this ,but Coach Gibbs IMO would make a good Head coach. I would not be disappointed if it happens.
kyrj Wrote:I think IMO that they could get a quality coach from within. I know I will get some flack for this ,but Coach Gibbs IMO would make a good Head coach. I would not be disappointed if it happens.

Gibbs would make a good assistant.
footballfever Wrote:What direction??? If it wasn't all Coach Black fault, which I don't think it was' who else was to blame, assistant coaches, AD, Super, parents, fans, players? 2008 Whitley was regional champion running same system as now with most of same coaches. This year after losing several very good seniors and having numerous injuries they fall to 1-10 and now it wasn't all Coach Blacks fault but no one within system is worthy.

the answer to your question is change what is outlined above in bold
Whitley was successful in 2008 because they had the players and depth to run that offense, so the last 5 years (24-34) the only thing that has changed is the roster. Whitley don't need another 1 trick pony, they need someone that can look at the talent and numbers on the field and incorporate an offensive scheme to accommodate their players, and entice as many kids to come out and play as possible by making it enjoyable.
pjdoug Wrote:Gibbs would make a good assistant.

He IS a good assistant and he should be given the head coaching job. He knows the program from top to bottom but better yet he cares about the program. He will be here forever not looking to go anywhere else. He is know by all in the county from little league parents and coaches, middle parents and coaches, administrators. He is respected by all and he will do whatever it takes to make the program successful.
He needs to be given total control over program from LL to middle. There needs to be head coach 4-5 assistant coaches and 2 freshman coaches. Coaches do not need to leave practice on Tuesdays to take $$ for little league.
Not sure what's going to happen but this to me is the best solution to a situation caused by a couple of people overreacting to a bad year.
pjdoug Wrote:I would settle for Larry FrenchSmile

But your going to settle for a Anderson type hire.:biglmao:
cherokee Wrote:the answer to your question is change what is outlined above in bold
Whitley was successful in 2008 because they had the players and depth to run that offense, so the last 5 years (24-34) the only thing that has changed is the roster. Whitley don't need another 1 trick pony, they need someone that can look at the talent and numbers on the field and incorporate an offensive scheme to accommodate their players, and entice as many kids to come out and play as possible by making it enjoyable.

You got it figured out. "incorporate an offensive scheme" offense sucks, terrible offense, doesn't fit the kids, make offense fun.
Whitley scored more points that 17 teams in 5A football. Whitley gave up more points that every team but 1 in 5A football. Looks like the defense was more the problem or guess I should say lack of defense
footballfever Wrote:He IS a good assistant and he should be given the head coaching job. He knows the program from top to bottom but better yet he cares about the program. He will be here forever not looking to go anywhere else. He is know by all in the county from little league parents and coaches, middle parents and coaches, administrators. He is respected by all and he will do whatever it takes to make the program successful.
He needs to be given total control over program from LL to middle. There needs to be head coach 4-5 assistant coaches and 2 freshman coaches. Coaches do not need to leave practice on Tuesdays to take $$ for little league.
Not sure what's going to happen but this to me is the best solution to a situation caused by a couple of people overreacting to a bad year.

Well said. Not much more could be added, in fact there is nothing more that could be said.
"You got it figured out. "incorporate an offensive scheme" offense sucks, terrible offense, doesn't fit the kids, make offense fun.
Whitley scored more points that 17 teams in 5A football. Whitley gave up more points that every team but 1 in 5A football. Looks like the defense was more the problem or guess I should say lack of defense"---FootballFever.

And if you figure that even if they don't score another point they would have been maybe a little better than average if they had a better defense. But you could figure that if the defense had made more stops the offense would have had more chances and scored more. Which both would have resulted in more wins. Jim Black is a good coach who got caught in a perfect storm of graduation and a terrible rash of injuries.
I guess it's another 38 pages till we hire a new coach. Let the process begin...Again.
If you don't have the players it doesn't matter what you run. Whitley was out manned this year. Several good players but not enough to compete with their schedule. Quality and quanity were down. Jim Black can coach but he was up against it this year.
FormerJacket72 Wrote:I guess it's another 38 pages till we hire a new coach. Let the process begin...Again.

Time to go to the yellow pages. :novb: Rent - A - Coach
E's Army Wrote:If you don't have the players it doesn't matter what you run. Whitley was out manned this year. Several good players but not enough to compete with their schedule. Quality and quanity were down. Jim Black can coach but he was up against it this year.

Come on guys you have 1300+ students and 1a schools with bigger rosters WHY? kids not playing WHY? and the injury bug is just part of the game everyone has injuries, if you are a 5A school going 1-10 and blaming it on a couple injuries that's a poor excuse. E- why don't they have the players?
Cherokee when you figure out why they don't have the numbers maybe you should be the head coach. Whitley has never had huge numbers and probably never will. If they can get 50-60 kids out every year then that is a major accomplishment. Bottom line is it only takes 11 to play. I would rather have quality over quantity. With that being said I would also like to have as many as I could to develop those that are on the brink of being successful. I believe Black was trying to get to that level. Whoever Whitley hires to replace him will be under scrutiny for every move they make and could be a very short tenure. I can see them going out every year and trying to reel in a big fish.
Gibbs would be the best hire. The kids love him and respect him. He has his own vision and direction he would like to head the program in. Just because you were on the staff with a coach doesn't mean tht is your coaching philosophy.
insideinfo Wrote:But your going to settle for a Anderson type hire.:biglmao:

:lame:
footballfever Wrote:He IS a good assistant and he should be given the head coaching job. He knows the program from top to bottom but better yet he cares about the program. He will be here forever not looking to go anywhere else. He is know by all in the county from little league parents and coaches, middle parents and coaches, administrators. He is respected by all and he will do whatever it takes to make the program successful.

he is a good assistant and I hope he stays one

that would be good "if" the coach was given full control.
Will the new coach be under 30 yr old or over.I will say under 30 for know reason....Because full control takes away who your assistant coaches will be....over 30 may just clean house with full control looking for new assistant.....so what do they do tough decision now or is it...coach black resigned he didn't get fired...just saying....Whitley county has a gold mine of player walking the highschool hall waiting....hire a coach soon 50 or 60 player is a good number 60 or 70 is even better Confusedecret:
:why: :insane: can't stop looking at this thread
I haven't looked at one post of this thread, but DEAR GOD.
cherokee Wrote:Come on guys you have 1300+ students and 1a schools with bigger rosters WHY? kids not playing WHY? and the injury bug is just part of the game everyone has injuries, if you are a 5A school going 1-10 and blaming it on a couple injuries that's a poor excuse. E- why don't they have the players?

Not having numbers falls squarely on one persons shoulders. The head coach. Nobody else is to blame for the dismal numbers. When you hire from within, kids are going to expect the same old thing there use to and the same coaches doing it.

That's why when you've got a numbers issue, its best to go outside the program.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I haven't looked at one post of this thread, but DEAR GOD.

It is now the most viewed and replied to thread in the football forum. EVER.
Gut Whitley co has finally won something this year!!!! :biglmao:
But still no coach in site..
  •  Previous
  • 38(current)
  • Next