•  Previous
  • 47(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
insideinfo Wrote:If I interview for a job, I plan on taking it if offered.

Unless he's trying to get more out of Somerset, which is personally what I think is going on. I'm with you on that interview though, we think alike. If I'm not interested, I don't do it to begin with.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Unless he's trying to get more out of Somerset, which is personally what I think is going on. I'm with you on that interview though, we think alike. If I'm not interested, I don't do it to begin with.
You could be right, I did not think about that.
That is Whitley County's fault. Like I said, give them a couple days then get their answer. If it takes longer they don't want to be there. They will leave you when the first big job comes their way. If you are buying coaches, just look at LCC. Saw where they are looking again, 4 coaches in 5 years.
When Black first resigned, all heard on here was how great the Whitley job was and how any coach would take it in a heartbeat. What happened? Seems like the tides have gone out to sea. I hope the administration has a list and the fantasy list doesn't become a desperation list. I think they are doing the right thing in taking their time, but of every potential interviewee gets three weeks, maybe dead period will not be enough time.
they probably know what they're doing but I would like to hear something soonSmile
We've determined 2 things, insideinfo and wildcat18 are NOT Robbie Lucas.
pjdoug Wrote:they probably know what they're doing but I would like to hear something soonSmile

If they had a clue what they was doing they would have hired a coach before Xmas break. This is turning into a three ring circus. The only hope they have now is if they can come up with enough money to talk Holcomb into taking the job. And he will be a short timer. Getting back in the mountains the first good job that come along.
footballfever Wrote:We've determined 2 things, insideinfo and wildcat18 are NOT Robbie Lucas.

I thought Robbie might let us know today lol
insideinfo Wrote:If they had a clue what they was doing they would have hired a coach before Xmas break. This is turning into a three ring circus. The only hope they have now is if they can come up with enough money to talk Holcomb into taking the job. And he will be a short timer. Getting back in the mountains the first good job that come along.

back in the mountains??
Over or under if Whitley hire a coach before February 28 2014.( over ). :novb:
FormerJacket72 Wrote:When Black first resigned, all heard on here was how great the Whitley job was and how any coach would take it in a heartbeat. What happened? Seems like the tides have gone out to sea. I hope the administration has a list and the fantasy list doesn't become a desperation list. I think they are doing the right thing in taking their time, but of every potential interviewee gets three weeks, maybe dead period will not be enough time.

I think that they could have hired very quickly had they wanted to and been willing to maybe not get a good fit for the school, players, and team. Sure they have taken a lot of time, first with Coach Hilton who has (had) a good job at UPike, now they are courting Coach Lucas who has a good job in a good school system. It is clear that they are going after quality coaches and guys they think will be an asset to the school system.

Whitley has its pros which are many, and like any school has some cons which are few, so the coaches are also trying to find a good fit for them. From the get go, Scott Paul has indicated that he is not going to get into a rush to find the next Coach. It does not matter whether it is tomorrow or next week, you can bet it will be a quality individual and quality coach.

Jim Black is a class act and a quality individual and a great coach, and although not with the program anymore he is a hard act to follow regardless of wins and losses. An Example of this is a conversation I heard, with another coach in another sport, the other coach stated he wanted his kids so scared of him they would kill for him, Coach Black responded I want my kids to love me so much that they would die for me. That being said you have to get a quality guy to replace a first class person like Jim Black. So it is clear they are taking their time.
Someone is going to be getting a great coach! Thanks Coach Black for the years I got to play for you!!
PRIDE101 Wrote:It does not take that long to make the best possible hire. You ask and give a couple days and get an answer. If you have to beg a coach to come you don't want them anyway. Earlier poster said how someone was 50 on the list , still done in 2 weeks, they know how important it is to have that person in place. I agree you want the right hire, I just don't think it takes that long, AT ALL.

If there is one school in the entire state, especially in SEKY that I don't want to take advice from its someone from Knox Central.
Clark Teague would be an excellent coach. I personally would love to see him back at Corbin as the head coach. Not only is he a great football mind, he is a class act and first class human being.

Whitley has potential to be a fine job. It's similar to UK football. The program is a sleeping giant but has always seemed to lack the support from the powers that be and coaches may not have had the freedom as they do at other schools. In order for any program to be successful, you have to have administrative support and coach Freedom. I feel that may be why Corbin has slacked off in recent years too. The powers that be are sending their focus away from athletics.

Also like UK, Whitley has the disadvantage of playing in a tougher division. Let's face it, just like UK will not win the SEC, Whitley is not going to win a 5A title. Sure it could happen but I highly doubt we'll see it. That leads me into my next point/question.

A few years ago, I remember hearing that Whitley was looking to build another high school. Whatever happened to that idea? Doing so, it would give the school system a AAA or AAAA Whitley County High School and a A or AA New High school. This would certainly help from a competition stand point. If they ever do build a new school, where would it be located? Rockholds, 92, Towards Jellico, etc?
FormerJacket72 Wrote:When Black first resigned, all heard on here was how great the Whitley job was and how any coach would take it in a heartbeat. What happened? Seems like the tides have gone out to sea. I hope the administration has a list and the fantasy list doesn't become a desperation list. I think they are doing the right thing in taking their time, but of every potential interviewee gets three weeks, maybe dead period will not be enough time.

This is a great job. They've offered one coach. That was Dudley Hilton. The fact that he said no doesn't mean it isn't a great job. Hes a college coach for crying out loud.
There have been more inquiries about the job than you'll ever know. I don't understand what you are trying to say...
From day one all the administration has said is theyd like to get a coach by spring practice.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Its not like its taking them longer than they wanted it to.
HAROLD Wrote:Clark Teague would be an excellent coach. I personally would love to see him back at Corbin as the head coach. Not only is he a great football mind, he is a class act and first class human being.

Whitley has potential to be a fine job. It's similar to UK football. The program is a sleeping giant but has always seemed to lack the support from the powers that be and coaches may not have had the freedom as they do at other schools. In order for any program to be successful, you have to have administrative support and coach Freedom. I feel that may be why Corbin has slacked off in recent years too. The powers that be are sending their focus away from athletics.

Also like UK, Whitley has the disadvantage of playing in a tougher division. Let's face it, just like UK will not win the SEC, Whitley is not going to win a 5A title. Sure it could happen but I highly doubt we'll see it. That leads me into my next point/question.

A few years ago, I remember hearing that Whitley was looking to build another high school. Whatever happened to that idea? Doing so, it would give the school system a AAA or AAAA Whitley County High School and a A or AA New High school. This would certainly help from a competition stand point. If they ever do build a new school, where would it be located? Rockholds, 92, Towards Jellico, etc?

Really? I believe I just saw Pulaski make it to the title game and give BG a game for a half. Whitley has laid it to Pulaski on several occasions before, there of similar size and only an hour apart, so why wouldn't Whitley ever have a chance? 5A is not impossible. I like my chances better in 5A than I do in 4A or 6A.

As for the new school, that was hog wash. I never heard it come out of a single important persons mouth.
I also don't think they would have just spent millions adding a freshmen wing that more than holds the current capacity of the school.
Whitley County is not Pulaski at this point in time. Be very clear, the talent and feeder programs at Pulaski are 10 to 1 better than Whitley. That may not have always been the case until the past few years but it's a fact now. Whoever takes Whitley will have a lot of building to do. Not saying it can't be done but to compare it to Pulaski is a joke. Pulaski has multiple classes that have been develped all the way from youth league, to middle school, and now to high school. They have been coached well and prepared. Whitley County miles behind.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This is a great job. They've offered one coach. That was Dudley Hilton. The fact that he said no doesn't mean it isn't a great job. Hes a college coach for crying out loud.
There have been more inquiries about the job than you'll ever know. I don't understand what you are trying to say...

All I'm saying is a job that is supposed to be so desirable, then the list should be plentiful thus hiring a coach should be a painless process.

You are right, we don't know who has INQUIRED about the job. Inform us since you are obviously in the know.
Why are we so critical of the Whitley County Administration for the way they are going about looking for a Coach. They wanted Dudley he said No. They have interviewed Robbie Lucas and he will give an answer soon. My Gut feeling is he will take the Job. I know if he wasn't interested he would have told Whitley in the beginning. As the search goes on Whitley needs to take their time and get the right person. Good Luck.
Cellking Wrote:Why are we so critical of the Whitley County Administration for the way they are going about looking for a Coach. They wanted Dudley he said No. They have interviewed Robbie Lucas and he will give an answer soon. My Gut feeling is he will take the Job. I know if he wasn't interested he would have told Whitley in the beginning. As the search goes on Whitley needs to take their time and get the right person. Good Luck.

Maybe it has to do with running the best coach that they could have off the sidelines with Black, focusing primarily on Hilton while everyone outside of Whitley County knew that they would just be strung along, inflated expectations of how good this job really is, couple that with its been going on since November would make everyone critcal.
All I'm saying is, if you are going to sell your house, you better have somewhere to move into before you sell your house. Sure you can rent a place for the meantime but that's just wasting money with nothing to show and leaves you still looking for a house.
Clutch Performer Wrote:Whitley County is not Pulaski at this point in time. Be very clear, the talent and feeder programs at Pulaski are 10 to 1 better than Whitley. That may not have always been the case until the past few years but it's a fact now. Whoever takes Whitley will have a lot of building to do. Not saying it can't be done but to compare it to Pulaski is a joke. Pulaski has multiple classes that have been develped all the way from youth league, to middle school, and now to high school. They have been coached well and prepared. Whitley County miles behind.

:lame:
pjdoug Wrote::lame:

Care to clarify? Don't mean to ruffle feathers on this because I like Whitley County. However, I don't see any lame or false statements in his comments. PC is 10x the program top to bottom than WC right now. Not talking history, strictly right now. I personally don't think WC is as good of a coaching job as the administration there thinks it is. Just an opinion.
Clutch Performer Wrote:Whitley County is not Pulaski at this point in time. Be very clear, the talent and feeder programs at Pulaski are 10 to 1 better than Whitley. That may not have always been the case until the past few years but it's a fact now. Whoever takes Whitley will have a lot of building to do. Not saying it can't be done but to compare it to Pulaski is a joke. Pulaski has multiple classes that have been develped all the way from youth league, to middle school, and now to high school. They have been coached well and prepared. Whitley County miles behind.

Well, lets be very clear than. Just 5 years ago Pulaski wasn't the team Whitley was.
In this part of the state its going to come in cycles. Its as simple as that. When a good coach like Black finally got a team that could run his offense he won region, and then it went down hill slowly until we hit rock bottom last year. And don't forget that was mainly due to injuries. We had our entire backfield get hurt last year. EVERY ONE OF THEM.

Don't give me that on the feeder program. Whitley has 6 elementary schools and every kid that wants to play can play and nobody is cut. I would imagine there is over 500 elementary kids playing football every Tuesday night in Whitley County. Its not the feeders. Whitley is set up very well. Its how its being worked. The biggest failure has been being able to retain players from middle school to high school. That would be my number one goal in finding a coach is to make sure he can get the numbers out.
Now Coach Lucas said no thanks........NEXT
pjdoug Wrote:back in the mountains??

If Mike Holcomb winds up the coach at Whitley I'll take Gut and 2 of his best friends to dinner at Malones and trust me when I tell you it will be no holds barred.... I'm talking Emergency Room Afternoon...

Bear Paw Out...
footballfever Wrote:Now Coach Lucas said no thanks........NEXT

Personally, that's fine with me :biggrin:

Its going to be fun to see whos next in line...
bear_paw Wrote:if mike holcomb winds up the coach at whitley i'll take gut and 2 of his best friends to dinner at malones and trust me when i tell you it will be no holds barred.... I'm talking emergency room afternoon...

Bear paw out...
ok

DEAL
footballfever Wrote:Now Coach Lucas said no thanks........NEXT

I wonder who is next on the listSmile
  •  Previous
  • 47(current)
  • Next