Poll: State Semi-Finals - Who ya got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
66.67%
Corbin
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals**
:Thumbs:
Cat Daddy Wrote:Belfry is the team to beat in 3A this year and there is no arguing that, but if the "champs" are going to go down, I think the best chance of that happening could be Friday night. We all know Belfry is "dominant" up front, but if there is a weakness that sticks out to me, it's in the secondary. After watching the Johnson Central game, I thought to myself "Corbin can beat Belfry". Will this happen, I don't know, but I think the Redhounds have a shot. One of the things that stuck out to me, was the middle of the field being open "a lot" during this game. Johnson Central took advantage of this by hitting on a couple of long passes down the middle, but I think this was something they should have taken advantage of more often. Also, I thought Johnson Central should have thrown more to their running backs out of the backfield. This was open as well, and the two or three times they did throw to the backs, it hit for ten or more yards. I think Sizemore and the Redhounds can take advantage of this, but it all depends on how well they can run the ball against Belfry. I don't think Corbin's run game is as good as Johnson Central's, but they are good enough to keep the Belfry defense honest. With that being said, Corbin can't afford to turn the ball over in this game. If they turn the ball over, they have no chance of upsetting the Pirates. On the flip side, Belfry has turned the ball over in spurts, and if Corbin can create a couple of turnovers defensively, this will definitely help their cause. Corbin's defense has been very good this year, but they haven't seen an offensive line as good as Belfry's. If you are Greer, you stack the box and play man to man on the outside and hope for the best. Belfry will throw the ball a couple of times, but you have to trust your corners to stay disciplined. At the end of the day, it's going to be an uphill battle for Haddix and the Hounds, but if anyone can pull this off, it's Haddix. With that being said, my head says Belfry, but my heart says Corbin. I have always been told to follow your heart and I'm going with Corbin in the upset. Corbin wins 24-21!!!

Is this some type of sick joke? Belfry beats the best team in 4A and you somehow gather that Corbin is somehow good enough to beat Belfry? This means you think that Corbin could beat the best 3A team and the best 4A team in the state? Might as well add Bowling Green and Trinity in there as well, right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Haha. All I can do is laugh. Why wouldn't I be serious about my prediction. I've seen both teams this year. Corbin is 2-3 tds better. No way the Pirates stop this offense on a consistent basis. And I don't see how Belfry can score more than 21. Laugh all you want. The line of Corbin is under appreciated. I know Belfry has all these supposed D1 recruits but they are in for a shock.
Redonthehound Wrote:Haha. All I can do is laugh. Why wouldn't I be serious about my prediction. I've seen both teams this year. Corbin is 2-3 tds better. No way the Pirates stop this offense on a consistent basis. And I don't see how Belfry can score more than 21. Laugh all you want. The line of Corbin is under appreciated. I know Belfry has all these supposed D1 recruits but they are in for a shock.

I don't understand how you can be so ridiculously confident after the performance put up against Casey County. I apologize, but I can do nothing but laugh when I see this nonsense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I don't understand how you can be so ridiculously confident after the performance put up against Casey County. I apologize, but I can do nothing but laugh when I see this nonsense.

Performance against Casey County? We won 38-17, started out slow, possibly looking forward to Belfry. It happens. This team is ready to go. They've been waiting on this game for a year. Just remember, 42-14 was a real deceiving score last year and the Hounds are much much better.
13 pages and probably 11 of them are related to seating, whining, and shaming. Why can't we talk about the actual football GAME?
Both of these teams are better than they were last season.

Corbin is by far the most improved. Their offense is much more prolific and balanced and the defense is definitely more stout. They have improved in the passing game by nearly doubling their passing yards from a year ago. They've also cut their rushing yards allowed by more than half from a season ago. This has resulted in 160 more points on the year, or roughly 14 points a game. They are built to beat Belfry.

Belfry is also better than last season in. Noah Corbett passes little, but the passes he throws usually hurt with 8/13 completions being touchdowns and hasn't thrown a pick all year compared to 4 he threw last year in the same amount of attempts. He's also making much better decisions on the read in my opinion. The sample size is small but when 62% of your completions are touchdowns it makes the other team have to worry a little bit about the big play. Belfry's also deeper in my opinion than last season, injuries and other factors such as a ton of first half running clocks have given the younger Pirates some much needed confidence and playing time all season long. The Pirates always have fresh legs for the Hydra rushing attack that comes at you. Where I think most people overlook is that statistically this Pirates defense is better than last year. Especially in the passing defense.

Belfry has 28 takeaways this season, 17 of those are interceptions (Numbers prior to Russell game, which adds a few more). They have allowed 1001 Passing yards this season compared to almost 1800 last year. Of those 509 (~50%) came against 2 opponents, that means on average in 11 other games Teams averaged about 45 yards per game against the Pirates in the passing game. The one team that hurt the Pirates was led by the best WR I have ever seen play HS football (aside from maybe Moss), what many don't know is that Rogers was only 16 when he played Belfry this year, a 16 year old SR, I don't see Corbin has a kid anywhere near that caliber. The pass D may not be AMAZING to some but its solid and full of ball hawks and rushed passes due to penetration. #27 hits as hard as anyone I've ever seen for his size.

Things I see as key:
- Corbin can't get behind and start airing it out, balance improved them and they will need it Friday.
- Corbin needs to utilize quick short passes to get the Pirates big, fast dline out of sync early and open up more room to work.
- Belfry can't have a Knox Cath fumble seminar repeat.
- Belfry has to stay calm, limit stupid penalties and not overlook Corbin due to last years score.

This has the potential to be an instant classic type game. I would love to see the Pirates pound the Hounds into submission but I think Corbin stays in it until the end.

Prediction, 35 - 28 Belfry
^Great post and analogy!!

Players need to keep their temper in line, and always be focused! I can see such an emotional match up leading to pushing and shoving.

Remember, if you're thrown out of this game for fighting or PF, and your team wins, you won't be allowed to play at the state level. That would be a shame!!!
corbin has won 3 games all year against teams that has winning records thats really something to brag about. they don't play teams anywhere near the caliber of belfry so they can't hold belfry a light to see by. I think belfry will win by 21 or more
I can't wait to what kind of excuses you people come up with after come down there and put it to your little football team and I'm sure they be plenty
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Is this some type of sick joke? Belfry beats the best team in 4A and you somehow gather that Corbin is somehow good enough to beat Belfry? This means you think that Corbin could beat the best 3A team and the best 4A team in the state? Might as well add Bowling Green and Trinity in there as well, right?

If you read my post, I said they can beat Belfry, not that they would beat Belfry. The point being is, the Pirates weakness, which is their secondary, will play into Corbin's strength, which is throwing the ball. Corbin has a much better passing game than Johnson Central, in my opinion, so therefore, Corbin should be able to throw the ball more consistently against Belfry. As far as your sarcasm, I find it amusing, due to you being from Lee County and probably have never played a down of football in your life. Stick to basketball or baseball!!!
pjdoug Wrote:I'm suffering from severe migraines so I'm going to rest and take my eyes off this, but don't worry. as soon as I'm rested I'll be back for more trash talk Confusednicker:

I'll send you a message when I get down I would like to put a face with that name
big dawg, small yard Wrote:corbin has won 3 games all year against teams that has winning records thats really something to brag about. they don't play teams anywhere near the caliber of belfry so they can't hold belfry a light to see by. I think belfry will win by 21 or more

big dawg, small yard you might want to look at Corbin schedule again. :lmao: 3 games :lmao:
While I agree that Corbin's passing game is better than Johnson Central's, there's no Geordan Blanton suiting up for the Hounds on Friday. No slight to AJ Moore, heck of a player, but a total different style of kid than Rodgers or Blanton.
According to Calpreps each teams best 5 wins and loss listed below. Looking at the lists it appears Belfry has the best win and loss to the best team but Belfry falls off sharply from 1 to 2 while Corbins top 2 wins are both solid wins.

Belfry
Wins:
#449 Johnson Central (Paintsville, KY) (21-16),
#2198 Cabell Midland (Ona, WV) (35-21),
#2831 Tates Creek (Lexington, KY) (48-12),
#3165 Russell (KY) (43-12),
#4758 Newport Central Catholic (Newport, KY) (41-8
Loss:
#280 Knoxville Catholic (Knoxville, TN) (45-20)

Corbin
Wins:
#1586 Central (Louisville, KY) (20-14),
#1926 Danville (KY) (28-7),
#2593 Southwestern (Somerset, KY) (20-8)
#4060 Whitley County (Williamsburg, KY) (42-6),
#4287 Casey County (Liberty, KY) (38-18)
Loss:
956 Mayfield (KY) (35-34)
AtlPirateFan Wrote:According to Calpreps each teams best 5 wins and loss listed below. Looking at the lists it appears Belfry has the best win and loss to the best team but Belfry falls off sharply from 1 to 2 while Corbins top 2 wins are both solid wins.

Belfry
Wins:
#449 Johnson Central (Paintsville, KY) (21-16),
#2198 Cabell Midland (Ona, WV) (35-21),
#2831 Tates Creek (Lexington, KY) (48-12),
#3165 Russell (KY) (43-12),
#4758 Newport Central Catholic (Newport, KY) (41-8
Loss:
#280 Knoxville Catholic (Knoxville, TN) (45-20)

Corbin
Wins:
#1586 Central (Louisville, KY) (20-14),
#1926 Danville (KY) (28-7),
#2593 Southwestern (Somerset, KY) (20-8)
#4060 Whitley County (Williamsburg, KY) (42-6),
#4287 Casey County (Liberty, KY) (38-18)
Loss:
956 Mayfield (KY) (35-34)

Does it take into account Mayfield was without their Mr. football candidate?
Belfry0304 Wrote:While I agree that Corbin's passing game is better than Johnson Central's, there's no Geordan Blanton suiting up for the Hounds on Friday. No slight to AJ Moore, heck of a player, but a total different style of kid than Rodgers or Blanton.

#85 is a possession WR
#12 and #5 are threats as well, especially after catching the ball. Granted they don't run a 4.4 or 4.5, but they are agile and not a easy tackle.
Belfry 42
Corbin 14
For a comparison I would say Corbin defensively is very similar to Cabell Midland. Not very big up front, but long and lean everywhere and good football skills.

Corbin also compares similarly to CM's Offense in terms of personnel, except Corbin has a superior QB in Sizemore and Moore is a better receiver than what CM has. I think the CM HB was a little better than Jewell and French though and the CM Oline was a good bit bigger, but Corbin's OLine executes a bit better.

If this were Corbin vs. CM I would take Corbin by a TD, maybe two TD's if we are stretching it with Sizemore being the reason for that difference.
HighViz Wrote:#85 is a possession WR
#12 and #5 are threats as well, especially after catching the ball. Granted they don't run a 4.4 or 4.5, but they are agile and not a easy tackle.

Agreed those guys are good but Rodgers runs a 4.4 all day and is going to clemson (home of Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, Etc) to play football... the cat is unreal.
Belfry0304 Wrote:Agreed those guys are good but Rodgers runs a 4.4 all day and is going to clemson (home of Sammy Watkins, Deandre Hopkins, Etc) to play football... the cat is unreal.

Rogers would be Mr. Football in Kentucky this year... no doubt in my mind
Anyone know the ADs name at Corbin or if there is any media parking available?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For a comparison I would say Corbin defensively is very similar to Cabell Midland. Not very big up front, but long and lean everywhere and good football skills.

Corbin also compares similarly to CM's Offense in terms of personnel, except Corbin has a superior QB in Sizemore and Moore is a better receiver than what CM has. I think the CM HB was a little better than Jewell and French though and the CM Oline was a good bit bigger, but Corbin's OLine executes a bit better.

If this were Corbin vs. CM I would take Corbin by a TD, maybe two TD's if we are stretching it with Sizemore being the reason for that difference.

CM would own them up front but it would be a good game with that being said we gave CM 14 out of 21 points I think Coach Haywood wanted to renew that contract
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Is this some type of sick joke? Belfry beats the best team in 4A and you somehow gather that Corbin is somehow good enough to beat Belfry? This means you think that Corbin could beat the best 3A team and the best 4A team in the state? Might as well add Bowling Green and Trinity in there as well, right?

best team in 4 A?
Cat Daddy Wrote:If you read my post, I said they can beat Belfry, not that they would beat Belfry. The point being is, the Pirates weakness, which is their secondary, will play into Corbin's strength, which is throwing the ball. Corbin has a much better passing game than Johnson Central, in my opinion, so therefore, Corbin should be able to throw the ball more consistently against Belfry. As far as your sarcasm, I find it amusing, due to you being from Lee County and probably have never played a down of football in your life. Stick to basketball or baseball!!!

You mean Beattyville doesn't have a powerhouse football team?
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I'll send you a message when I get down I would like to put a face with that name

I might get to go to the game. not sure yet Smile
EKUAlum05 Wrote:For a comparison I would say Corbin defensively is very similar to Cabell Midland. Not very big up front, but long and lean everywhere and good football skills.

in watching the Corbin defense I was impressed by the play of Justin Davis.
bucslover68 Wrote:Anyone know the ADs name at Corbin or if there is any media parking available?

http://www.corbinhigh.org/athletics.html
bucslover68 Wrote:Anyone know the ADs name at Corbin or if there is any media parking available?

Andrew Roark
Im not sure i have looked thought and tore at this one all day lol who knows what is going to happen honestly i mean central and danville and a 1 point lose to mayfield? Corbin on paper looks exceptionally well going in, belfry well its belfry everyone knows the red army is like the trump train gonna be rolling Smile lol so this match up will be one for the ages in my opinion and honestly this is the championship game like in 2002 when Breathitt beat Russel because the winner will be play central and i mean corbin already beat them if belfry wins they basically beat them so right heres the grand daddy in my opinion and for once i cant pick a side to be on
  •  Previous
  • 13(current)
  • Next