Poll: State Semi-Finals - Who ya got?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Belfry
66.67%
Corbin
33.33%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry at Corbin 11/25 **3A State Semi-Finals**
If Corbin comes to play this could be a helluva game. As I said earlier it will be a tough task. We have an excellent young, innovative head coach and I'm sure we have a completely different set of offensive sets and plays to run that your coaches haven't seen. We also have one of the best defensive coaching staffs in the state, I'm positive Coach Greer, Mills and Mouser have been watching countless hours of video of Belfry all year. They started watching the day after the loss last year. Our coaches don't wear suits and they don't need to, to receive or give respect....Don't get me wrong, I mean no disrespect to Coach Haywood with that statement. I've always been intrigued as to why Haywood chooses to wear a suit.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Have they?

I am not sure they have

In the 90s at bell
will this game be on live stream? if so where can I watch it..
cuppett777 Wrote:will this game be on live stream? if so where can I watch it..

No live stream unfortunately
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RicFlair Wrote:In the 90s at bell

I was thinking in terms of recent history... I know Belfry had not played Bell or Knox Central during Mill's tenure and wasn't sure if they had played Greer during his short tenure as the Head Coach (which by the way they did.. 1998 Belfry beat Bell 14-13, and though the KHSAA can't confirm it Greer had to be the HC at Bell in 1997 when Bell beat Belfry 34-7)

With that said.

Kind of hard to put much stock in games from 20 years ago when Belfry was running exclusively out of the Wishbone and Bell I am sure was most likely running a base 5-2. In fact, that 97 and 98 Belfry team were actually during the Jonathan Wright years. 1997 was the first year Belfry began tinkering with the spread and 1998 they were exclusively a shotgun team. Obviously those other 90's games when he was the DC would have been against the old Wishbone teams though.
95 - Belfry beat Bell Co 7-0. Belfry ran the Pro-I most of the time, and Bell ran the Bone. Both teams played a 5-2 and were stout defensively.

96 and 97 - Bell smashed Belfry in the playoffs. Both teams ran the Bone and 5-2.

98 - Belfry ran the gun with Wright as mentioned earlier.

Back to the game at hand.

Belfry 49 - Corbin 21
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I was thinking in terms of recent history... I know Belfry had not played Bell or Knox Central during Mill's tenure and wasn't sure if they had played Greer during his short tenure as the Head Coach (which by the way they did.. 1998 Belfry beat Bell 14-13, and though the KHSAA can't confirm it Greer had to be the HC at Bell in 1997 when Bell beat Belfry 34-7)

With that said.

Kind of hard to put much stock in games from 20 years ago when Belfry was running exclusively out of the Wishbone and Bell I am sure was most likely running a base 5-2. In fact, that 97 and 98 Belfry team were actually during the Jonathan Wright years. 1997 was the first year Belfry began tinkering with the spread and 1998 they were exclusively a shotgun team. Obviously those other 90's games when he was the DC would have been against the old Wishbone teams though.
Greer was coordinator at Whitley County probably in late 90's. I'm sure GUT remembers when Smile
pjdoug Wrote:Greer was coordinator at Whitley County probably in late 90's. I'm sure GUT remembers when Smile

Belfry played Whitley in:
'92 (W, 35-8)
'94 (W, 20-18)
'96 (W, 32-20)
'09 (W, 53-23)
'10 (W, 27-21)

Not sure if any of those coincide.
I think the real question should be if Corbin can keep Belfry from putting a running clock on them before halftime. I will give the Hounds credit and say they hold the running clock away til late 3rd quarter. Belfry wins 56-14.
0ff The Chain Wrote:I think the real question should be if Corbin can keep Belfry from putting a running clock on them before halftime. I will give the Hounds credit and say they hold the running clock away til late 3rd quarter. Belfry wins 56-14.

I would be utterly stunned if Belfry puts a running clock on Corbin

It would take Corbin turning it over 5+ times for that to happen
I don't see the margin of victory to be that wide. I could be wrong, we all have our opinions on how the game goes down.

One thing that I see that Corbin has the advantage in is that they are hungry! Belfry floats in on a 5 state title history. If the Pirates don't stay focused and disciplined, the Hounds could and will take this game.

I really think the game is close the first half, but the way Haywood prepares his teams, I think Belfry will be too much in the second half.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I would be utterly stunned if Belfry puts a running clock on Corbin

It would take Corbin turning it over 5+ times for that to happen

Agree wholeheartedly. I simply don't see that occurring....especially with Corbin being at home. I think that's just wishful thinking.

It will be interesting to see what either team does if they win the coin toss. Believe it or not....could set the tone for the entire game.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Agree wholeheartedly. I simply don't see that occurring....especially with Corbin being at home. I think that's just wishful thinking.

It will be interesting to see what either team does if they win the coin toss. Believe it or not....could set the tone for the entire game.

You mean what Corbin will do? We already know Haywood is going to defer Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:You mean what Corbin will do? We already know Haywood is going to defer Big Grin

Exactly....that's what will be interesting. If Corbin decides to defer...like we know Haywood usually does...and the Pirates strike first......that first momentum grab could be huge. Especially in a charged game atmosphere.

Much like what occurred at JC a few weeks ago. When the Eagles struck first.....really threw the big Mo' in their direction. We were fortunate to be where we were at halftime.....then Hunter's KO Return set the Mo for the 2nd half.

It will be interesting too see what happens.
No running clock at all IMO. I anticipate this game to be tight in the first half...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't see the margin of victory to be that wide. I could be wrong, we all have our opinions on how the game goes down.

One thing that I see that Corbin has the advantage in is that they are hungry! Belfry floats in on a 4 state title history. If the Pirates don't stay focused and disciplined, the Hounds could and will take this game.

I really think the game is close the first half, but the way Haywood prepares his teams, I think Belfry will be too much in the second half.

5 state titles:rockon:
Check it!!

I apologize!!
I've never been to Corbin. Give me some food options
Belfry0304 Wrote:I've never been to Corbin. Give me some food options

I'm sure the locals know the Corbin spots, but we are hitting London to eat then hang a left down 75 to Corbin.
64SUR Wrote:big dawg, small yard you might want to look at Corbin schedule again. :lmao: 3 games :lmao:

i did they played 3 teams with winning seasons the other games they won was 500 seasons thats not a winning season u might wanna go check it urself before u try to correct someone

Try the Wrigley Taproom downtown, good burgers and selection of beer...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smokey Bears BBQ. Across from Taco Bell off exit 29.
64SUR Wrote:big dawg, small yard you might want to look at Corbin schedule again. :lmao: 3 games :lmao:

whitley co 8-2
central 5-5
clay county 1-9
danville 8-2
southwestern 7-3
mayfield 10-0 loss btw
jackson co 2-8
bell co 3-7
casey co 8-1
knox central 4-6
my bad they played 4 and 5 if u count their loss to a smaller school at least belfry's loss was a bigger school.
big dawg, small yard Wrote:i did they played 3 teams with winning seasons the other games they won was 500 seasons thats not a winning season u might wanna go check it urself before u try to correct someone

Good lord little dawg here you go. :popcorn:
Whitley County 9-3......Corbin 42-6 W
Central 8-5..... Corbin 20-14 W
Danville 11-2.... Corbin 28-7 W
Southwestern 9-4...... Corbin 20-8 W
Mayfield 13-0...... Mayfield 35-34 L
Casey County 10-2.....Corbin 35-7 W
Casey County 10-2..... Corbin 38-17

Now little dawg take a good look above I am counting. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7..... Plus 1 team @ 500

Confusederiously:
big dawg, small yard Wrote:i did they played 3 teams with winning seasons the other games they won was 500 seasons thats not a winning season u might wanna go check it urself before u try to correct someone

You still better check again, small dawg in a big yard.... Smile think you are finding very incorrect info..

There are a ton of places to eat, but only one viable "option".

Cracker Barrel, of course!!!
Granny Bear Wrote:There are a ton of places to eat, but only one viable "option".

Cracker Barrel, of course!!!

Great choice! Breakfast All Day!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry pulls away in second half 42-14
If you're looking for steak the OTG is my favorite place in town. They have a great prime rib, and they have a fried cheese appetizer that is awesome. There is an Applebee's if you would rather have a national chain. Dino's and basil's are good Italian places, but it takes a little while to get your food. Brooklyn brothers has great pizza. The wrigley has awesome burgers and sandwiches. There is a great coffee shop called "you & me coffee and tea" that is awesome. There is also a restaurant called seasons, I've never ate there but I hear it is really good too. Seasons, The Wrigley, and Basils are all downtown, and within walking distance of depot street. Also it is confirmed that shuttle busses will be running from depot street to the football field to help with parking.
Eat before the game. Afterwards, everywhere might be serving only crow if the hounds can pull off the upset.
  •  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next