•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Bell County?
CoachA Wrote:The Double Wing is much different from the Flexbone as barrel points out. The Double Wing is a power running game... the base play is not an option and most folks don't run any kind of option out of it. The Flexbone is what GA Tech, Navy run... the base play is the triple option. The Flexbone isn't really "risky" also, there is some fancy ball-handeling but even young kids can be taught the offense.

:Thumbs:
Your right on.
Whitley ran the flexbone look a couple of years ago, running the triple option on probably 40% of their plays or more.
Since then, Whitley has had to evolve its offense into what best fits their players, thus the double wing that mostly pounds it up the middle or goes for a toss sweep.
when they did run the triple option so much back in 08 they had the perfect QB to run it. He was more of a running back that could throw a little, which is exactly what you want when running the triple option. They used their fullback A LOT then but used it even more this year and you can ask any team that plays whitley, you have to stop the full back.
I love the triple option in high school football because its so hard for high school kids to defend. Its also fun to watch.
And to think in Blacks first year he tried to run the spread like he did at Wburg:yawn:
He soon realized power football was the only way to go at Whitley.
I know if i was a coach id run the triple option, its just to much fun.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote::Thumbs:
Your right on.
Whitley ran the flexbone look a couple of years ago, running the triple option on probably 40% of their plays or more.
Since then, Whitley has had to evolve its offense into what best fits their players, thus the double wing that mostly pounds it up the middle or goes for a toss sweep.
when they did run the triple option so much back in 08 they had the perfect QB to run it. He was more of a running back that could throw a little, which is exactly what you want when running the triple option. They used their fullback A LOT then but used it even more this year and you can ask any team that plays whitley, you have to stop the full back.
I love the triple option in high school football because its so hard for high school kids to defend. Its also fun to watch.
And to think in Blacks first year he tried to run the spread like he did at Wburg:yawn:
He soon realized power football was the only way to go at Whitley.
I know if i was a coach id run the triple option, its just to much fun.

With all due respect, the option is a very good offense against your average teams that are not very discipline! But when you get to regionn, semi's and or state championship game teams that are physical and play assignment football will shut that offense down because of its predictabilty.

Now back to the thread, people's beliefs in offense are for another thread. Anyone know names of those that are REALLY intrested in the job?
Trenches07 Wrote:With all due respect, the option is a very good offense against your average teams that are not very discipline! But when you get to regionn, semi's and or state championship game teams that are physical and play assignment football will shut that offense down because of its predictabilty.

Now back to the thread, people's beliefs in offense are for another thread. Anyone know names of those that are REALLY intrested in the job?

I agree, notice i said MOST high school football players cannot defend it, and most really cant.
But, when you run it very well and hit it just right its still hard to defend no matter how good your defense is. coaches have been running the veer and I formations for years and have won a lot of games off of simple plays and fakes.

I dont see how this is not for the thread when talking about what offense you'd like to see Bell run. That has a lot to do with what type of coach they may hire.
Trenches07 Wrote:With all due respect, the option is a very good offense against your average teams that are not very discipline! But when you get to regionn, semi's and or state championship game teams that are physical and play assignment football will shut that offense down because of its predictabilty.

With even more respect:

Sir, ALL football is "assignment football". Each person on the defense has a zone, man, or gap assignment. A team must be very disciplined as you say, to defend ANY scheme. They must be even MORE disciplined to defend an options scheme. Why do you think the under-talented military academies employ an option offense? -It's because it gives them the best chance to be successful against teams with more athletic talent. Please do a google search to find several teams that are traditional power-houses across the country who emply an option attack... you will find that they do quite well in their respective state play-offs.

With that said, I have personal preferences with regard to scheme, but scheme is not nearly as important as the passion and character of the coach. You can go across the country and find coaches who run "Scheme A" that can't win a game... you can find someone in the same state who wins consistently with the same stuff. I believe it is insanely foolish to say "because Coach Joe runs the Wiggle-Bone Offense, he can't get deep into the playoffs around here".

I have been around coaches that can draw up a playbook on a napkin while eating lunch and beat most of the teams in his district because he connects with and loves his players so profoundly that they will play 3-notches above their talent level for him. They also work harder in the off season, play better on the road and recover from injury faster... all because they love each other like brothers and love their coach like a dad. Find someone like this to coach your kids and it won't matter what scheme he runs... they'll be successful on and off the field...

...and they'll become the kind of men you want coming around to see your daughter...

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I agree, notice i said MOST high school football players cannot defend it, and most really cant.
But, when you run it very well and hit it just right its still hard to defend no matter how good your defense is. coaches have been running the veer and I formations for years and have won a lot of games off of simple plays and fakes.

I dont see how this is not for the thread when talking about what offense you'd like to see Bell run. That has a lot to do with what type of coach they may hire.

Seeing how its not the bell co people talkin about the offense, I would say that its not to relivent.
Back on topic. Coaches....who has heard anything. I personally have some bad news for Knox fans. Even though Coach Mills has assured you he is not leaving....can you remember when Nick Saban said that. It is true, he is very interested in the Bell job. He is talking with them. Hate that for Knox...but if he takes it ...what a job he is leaving. Couple more names have surfaced that are on the list that really surprise me. Can't give you too much info at once. Lets talk about Mills for now.

Where are you Knox fans.
Has anything came out yet?
No offical interviews. Just talking to the ones they want first. If Mills says yes, it is over. I he says no, then things could be very interesting. Couple of stories coming out...lets wait and see. But Mills is talking and has interest. Would like to have the job....can they meet his needs???? Million dollar question.
Interesting? Stories? IF Mills is interested I believe he indeed will get it. IF he declines or isn't interested, who is? You seem to be in the know. Share
I hear he has a meeting with the principal when he is in Kentucky during his holiday break.
All I can is this. If Wayne is interested in the Bell job he has sure done a fine job of convincing his players and parents that is not the case. I still think most folks that keep saying this are living in "wishful thinking" land. But I'm not foolish enough to think there is not a chance of it.

But I sure would not want to be they guy who goes to Bell and gets to hang his hat on being the guy who tore down what Dudley built. Next year will be fine as long as Davenport stays healthy, but after that Bell will have a hard time being state champ contenders. They will be good, but state champ level will fade.
CoachA Wrote:With even more respect:

Sir, ALL football is "assignment football". Each person on the defense has a zone, man, or gap assignment. A team must be very disciplined as you say, to defend ANY scheme. They must be even MORE disciplined to defend an options scheme. Why do you think the under-talented military academies employ an option offense? -It's because it gives them the best chance to be successful against teams with more athletic talent. Please do a google search to find several teams that are traditional power-houses across the country who emply an option attack... you will find that they do quite well in their respective state play-offs.

With that said, I have personal preferences with regard to scheme, but scheme is not nearly as important as the passion and character of the coach. You can go across the country and find coaches who run "Scheme A" that can't win a game... you can find someone in the same state who wins consistently with the same stuff. I believe it is insanely foolish to say "because Coach Joe runs the Wiggle-Bone Offense, he can't get deep into the playoffs around here".

I have been around coaches that can draw up a playbook on a napkin while eating lunch and beat most of the teams in his district because he connects with and loves his players so profoundly that they will play 3-notches above their talent level for him. They also work harder in the off season, play better on the road and recover from injury faster... all because they love each other like brothers and love their coach like a dad. Find someone like this to coach your kids and it won't matter what scheme he runs... they'll be successful on and off the field...

...and they'll become the kind of men you want coming around to see your daughter...

Well said.
Football1 Wrote:Next year will be fine as long as Davenport stays healthy, but after that Bell will have a hard time being state champ contenders. They will be good, but state champ level will fade.

If that is true what does that say for Knox? Bell's JV destroyed KC's twice this past season.
Football1 Wrote:All I can is this. If Wayne is interested in the Bell job he has sure done a fine job of convincing his players and parents that is not the case. I still think most folks that keep saying this are living in "wishful thinking" land. But I'm not foolish enough to think there is not a chance of it.

But I sure would not want to be they guy who goes to Bell and gets to hang his hat on being the guy who tore down what Dudley built. Next year will be fine as long as Davenport stays healthy, but after that Bell will have a hard time being state champ contenders. They will be good, but state champ level will fade.

mills of course will deny interest in the job to players and parents until he accepts the job. the minute he says that he is thinking about leaving or interest in another position he loses the players and parents... or severely damages the relationship (look at bobby petrino when he was at louisville). will he take job who knows, but he isnt crapping the bed at KC till he certain.

as far as Bell fading away, you never can tell they may find some that is better than coach hilton. we cant even predict who the coach is much less how much success he will have... everyone needs to quit trying to be nostrodamus on bell's success or lack there of.
Coach Mills has an oppertunity at KC that he could never get at Bell county. Mills is well on his way from bringing a program that was down on its knees to a team that can stand up with just about anyone. Mills has his own legacy in Knox County. The only thing that he could gain by going to Bell is the money and the recognition of taking over Hiltons program. Mills would always be in Hiltons shadow the whole time he would coach there. I for one would want to be known for something that I have accomplished . Not an accomplishment that someone else has already accomplished. Mills has many accomplishments already and many more will come. Can you tell me what he would have to gain at Bell that he can't get on his own at KC? The future looks bright for Mills at KC. Why would he leave KC? The old saying goes in this same situation. "The grass isn't always greener on the other side.' No matter how it looks for the immediate future. It would be a down year that would tell the tale with a lot of pressure to go with it. It looks great but I would stay where I am at. It is Mills decision and he will make the best choice for him and his family. Go Panthers!!
You ask why........Boyle, Lexington Cath.,Johnson Central, Marion Co., Ashland, Holmes, and last but not least HIGHLANDS.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:If that is true what does that say for Knox? Bell's JV destroyed KC's twice this past season.
That says our incoming freshman for 2011 will beat Bell all the way through highschool..... It really dosen't say anything. Bell will have to look long and hard to find someone to produce players like Hilton did. The staff that is left will do good I am sure. The coach is a major change. For anyone to think that the program may not take a slide is only kidding themselves. That is true facts. You can't lose the numer one coach that produces #1 players and take a #2 or #3 coach and still produce #1 players. Bell will be smart enough to make the right decision. It will cost alot to get a good coach to change from a good program. My advice is to promote from within.
Xerxes Wrote:You ask why........Boyle, Lexington Cath.,Johnson Central, Marion Co., Ashland, Holmes, and last but not least HIGHLANDS.

:Thumbs:That says alot to me.
Why would Mills leave all that golden here at Knox for Bell??? The King is gone and the mountain will surely crumble.

Xerxes Wrote:You ask why........Boyle, Lexington Cath.,Johnson Central, Marion Co., Ashland, Holmes, and last but not least HIGHLANDS.

I see your point!!!!:thanks:
[quote=William Muney]Why would Mills leave all that golden here at Knox for Bell??? The King is gone and the mountain will surely crumble.

shouldnt be that golden beating bell co then
Another name no one has mentioned yet is Jay Cobb. Any chance he leaves Campbellsville for Bell Co.?
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Hagarxxxxxxxxxout
Mills
Hoskins
Woolum
Rains
Cobbxxxxxxxxxout
Frazier
Larkey Sr.
Roarkxxxxxxxxxout
Hensleyxxxxxxxout
Matney
Holcomb
Greerxxxxxxxxxxout
Crawfordxxxxxxout
Chappellxxxxxxxout
Russellxxxxxxxxxout
Chaneyxxxxxxxxout

3 more out.
Have not heard a word on Hagar. Cobb ..don't see adminsitration hiring him. Has not worked well with others over the past few years. Moved around to much. Chappell .....I think assistants will not get a very good look..without a lot of pull in the community. He has been a head coach......passes way to much for Bell family.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:If that is true what does that say for Knox? Bell's JV destroyed KC's twice this past season.
I agree this is a concern for Knox. But I also know our JV squad did not include our best young players. We have freshmen that contributed at the Varsity level that were not in either of those games.
I can't see Wayne taking the Bell job to get to lower competition. Yes, Bell is moving down the 3A, which frankly just says that area is losing population. Not much of an enticement.

Yes, Highlands is a great program but Wayne will not run from that challenge. Boyle is a great program. All those mentioned are. But back in the day nobody thought we would be the team that beats Rock every year. Nobody thought we would beat 5A schools every year. We are gaining ground every day and I am confident Coach Mills wants to be around to see us take even more ground.

Bell will be fine. They have families there that love this game. That is the foundation of their greatness. If they would call me, I'd go 10-0 next year and win 3A just for giggles for them. LOL...
Just something to think about......why has he not told them NO. The longer it goes the more he is likely to take it.
WhyLie Wrote:Just something to think about......why has he not told them NO. The longer it goes the more he is likely to take it.

I love your approach.......you are relentless.......How could he say no to a place that gave him his first job.......he owes us.........:worthy::flame::Cheerlead
WhyLie Wrote:Just something to think about......why has he not told them NO. The longer it goes the more he is likely to take it.
Look, you may know more than I do. And surely it is good material for this thread to keep the jazz up about maybe Knox's head coach going to Bell. But I have a kid on that team who says their coach specifically told them "Yes, I got the call but No, I'm not going there." I hope that's true. If its not, the sun will come up in July when football season starts.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Another name no one has mentioned yet is Jay Cobb. Any chance he leaves Campbellsville for Bell Co.?

Don't want him he doesn't stay anywhere long and what has he done?
Football1 Wrote:I agree this is a concern for Knox. But I also know our JV squad did not include our best young players. We have freshmen that contributed at the Varsity level that were not in either of those games.

He played in the one at Knox and Bell killed him on several plays. He didn't do anything against Bell.
Couple of new names:

Shadon Brown - Did a great job at Rowan and they ran the ball and threw the ball
Johnny Poynter - His teams at Trimble were awful but his teams at Bourbon are getting better and he was on Dudley's staff
Aaron Stepp - was head coach at Clay County. Stepp and Dudley never got along but Stepp ran the ball and threw the ball at Clay. Stepp Is good friends with Tommy Greer.
Scott Russell - why does he not step out there and become a head coach ??? He can do it !
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next