•  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Bell County?
One thing I don't think people are understanding during this process. I've heard it mentioned that this one or that one never applied for the Bell job. That doesn't mean anything. Most head coaches are not going to stick their neck out and apply because of their scrutiny they will receive from their original school community. I'll assure you that many coaches have been talked to and are also being considered for the job although they never applied. If you think that's not accurate find out if Mills has applied for the job with all of us knowing he is the leading candidate right now.
easyM Wrote:One thing I don't think people are understanding during this process. I've heard it mentioned that this one or that one never applied for the Bell job. That doesn't mean anything. Most head coaches are not going to stick their neck out and apply because of their scrutiny they will receive from their original school community. I'll assure you that many coaches have been talked to and are also being considered for the job although they never applied. If you think that's not accurate find out if Mills has applied for the job with all of us knowing he is the leading candidate right now.

This is a good point. The official application could be filled out long after the deed was done. I'm satisfied at this point the decision rests on the shoulders of Coach Mills. No doubt he has the opportunity to HC at Bell if he wants as Id say the offer has been made. Will he take it is the real question at this point. I stand by what I have said all along. If he does - no hard feelings here. But I genuinely feel he will be making a bad move for his career and his family. Likely would win a ton in 2011 (everybody will say that was with Dudley's team) and after that will blend in with the Somerset, Belfry, Centrals of that world(Central played St X real close this year and went on to destroy Belfry - no cake walk there).

If he leaves - we will put a great coach at the helm with superior facilities, a fantastic Senior group, excellent feeder programs, and a community that supports football like never before. I hope that does not happen but if it does we will excel despite it.
Football1 Wrote:This is a good point. The official application could be filled out long after the deed was done. I'm satisfied at this point the decision rests on the shoulders of Coach Mills. No doubt he has the opportunity to HC at Bell if he wants as Id say the offer has been made. Will he take it is the real question at this point. I stand by what I have said all along. If he does - no hard feelings here. But I genuinely feel he will be making a bad move for his career and his family. Likely would win a ton in 2011 (everybody will say that was with Dudley's team) and after that will blend in with the Somerset, Belfry, Centrals of that world(Central played St X real close this year and went on to destroy Belfry - no cake walk there).

If he leaves - we will put a great coach at the helm with superior facilities, a fantastic Senior group, excellent feeder programs, and a community that supports football like never before. I hope that does not happen but if it does we will excel despite it.

I agree with your post and appreciate how you feel about Coach Mills staying at KC. He's done a fantastic job there and has the ball rolling.
I do disagree with one part. Bell will not blend in. They will stand out. If they don't, that coach will not be there long. And to the point about Lou. Central, no doubt they're a very solid program. But, I'll take my chances playing them over Ft. Thomas or Boyle year in and year out. It's not a bad deal for Bell at all with this new alignment. It doesn't guarantee a state title by any means but the road definitely didn't become more difficult for Bell. For Knox Central it did just that.
Today could be a very informative day. Schools are back in session. What time will Knox be in the weightroom today? If Coach Mills is going, today would be the best day to let the kids know. Best for both Bell and Knox so this process could start for Knox, finding a new guy. If he is not going then he should let the kids know today also. Time to put it to bed.
Xerxes Wrote:You have lost your mind if you believe that. He may not get along with the powers to be. But he was larger than them. They could not fire him. Super or principal. FACT. Dudley Hilton could have stayed longer than any of the powers in Bell.

How I wish you were right, but who's leaving and who isn't??
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:I think we need to get a proper definition of FACT on this thread. Some are spreading rumors as FACTS.

I believe you accused me of spreading rumors over a month ago, when I first posted that Bell County would be looking for a new coach.
WhyLie Wrote:Today could be a very informative day. Schools are back in session. What time will Knox be in the weightroom today? If Coach Mills is going, today would be the best day to let the kids know. Best for both Bell and Knox so this process could start for Knox, finding a new guy. If he is not going then he should let the kids know today also. Time to put it to bed.

Nothing will happen anytime soon. Might as well set back and get some :popcorn:
BigBlueBell Wrote:How I wish you were right, but who's leaving and who isn't??

So you are saying that the Superintendent and the Principal actually Fired coach Hilton.
WhyLie Wrote:So you are saying that the Superintendent and the Principal actually Fired coach Hilton.

No. I didn't say he was fired and please don't restate what I have already clearly said.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.
BigBlueBell Wrote:No. I didn't say he was fired and please don't restate what I have already clearly said.

Always more than one way to skin a cat.

I guess I missed the clear part. If he was told it was his last season. I'm unclear on who told him that. Where I'm from that is being fired.
WhyLie Wrote:I guess I missed the clear part. If he was told it was his last season. I'm unclear on who told him that. Where I'm from that is being fired.

In many cases I choose to think it's wise to be silent. We never know what goes on at times. I for one haven't a clue.
Any chance Jim Matney could get the job??:popcorn:
easyM Wrote:I agree with your post and appreciate how you feel about Coach Mills staying at KC. He's done a fantastic job there and has the ball rolling.
I do disagree with one part. Bell will not blend in. They will stand out. If they don't, that coach will not be there long. And to the point about Lou. Central, no doubt they're a very solid program. But, I'll take my chances playing them over Ft. Thomas or Boyle year in and year out. It's not a bad deal for Bell at all with this new alignment. It doesn't guarantee a state title by any means but the road definitely didn't become more difficult for Bell. For Knox Central it did just that.
As usual, you make solid points. Still, I have to wonder if any 4A team or 5A team could play the schedule that Louisville Central played and hold up near as well against those 6A powerhouses. Which, I have to say as we discuss great coaching - what a fantastic job that coach did of preparing his team to win the games that matter. Central lost 4 or 5 games in the regular season to teams far better than they and then sailed through the playoffs to a 3A title whereas Bell and Knox and RC and LC had great regular season records but could not win the big games. Maybe a tougher schedule really does pay big dividends when it counts?
Hagarxxxxxxxxxout
Mills
Hoskins
Woolum
Rainsxxxxxxxxxout
Cobbxxxxxxxxxout
Frazier
Larkey Sr.xxxxxxout
Roarkxxxxxxxxxout
Hensleyxxxxxxxout
Matneyxxxxxxxxout
Holcombxxxxxxxout
Greerxxxxxxxxxxout
Crawfordxxxxxxout
Chappellxxxxxxxout
Russellxxxxxxxxxout
Chaneyxxxxxxxxout
Jaggers
Whitaker

We have to add a name tonight......just heard that Whitaker from Letcher has shown interest.

With that said any news from Knox today? Weight room going well?

Matney , not hearing that name. I think a great hire. If Mills takes his name out, Matney will be one that comes back on the board.
After the season that Whitaker had, I don't think Bell would have much interest in him.
WhyLie Wrote:Hagarxxxxxxxxxout
Mills
Hoskins
Woolum
Rainsxxxxxxxxxout
Cobbxxxxxxxxxout
Frazier
Larkey Sr.xxxxxxout
Roarkxxxxxxxxxout
Hensleyxxxxxxxout
Matneyxxxxxxxxout
Holcombxxxxxxxout
Greerxxxxxxxxxxout
Crawfordxxxxxxout
Chappellxxxxxxxout
Russellxxxxxxxxxout
Chaneyxxxxxxxxout
Jaggers
Whitaker

We have to add a name tonight......just heard that Whitaker from Letcher has shown interest.

Matney , not hearing that name. I think a great hire. If Mills takes his name out, Matney will be one that comes back on the board.

Whitaker has no chance.
WhyLie Wrote:Hagarxxxxxxxxxout
Mills
Hoskins
Woolum
Rainsxxxxxxxxxout
Cobbxxxxxxxxxout
Frazier
Larkey Sr.xxxxxxout
Roarkxxxxxxxxxout
Hensleyxxxxxxxout
Matneyxxxxxxxxout
Holcombxxxxxxxout
Greerxxxxxxxxxxout
Crawfordxxxxxxout
Chappellxxxxxxxout
Russellxxxxxxxxxout
Chaneyxxxxxxxxout
Jaggers
Whitaker

No need to add Whitaker. That's a definite no.
Matney would surprise me as the hire.
You might as well stick with Mills for now. Safe bet.
Whitaker is a big NO.
1. He flopped at Corbin and now Letcher

Matney is making a mint worth of money at JC he would not come to Bell for what they pay.
A lot of heat in LCC....may just be trying to get another job.
Football1 Wrote:As usual, you make solid points. Still, I have to wonder if any 4A team or 5A team could play the schedule that Louisville Central played and hold up near as well against those 6A powerhouses. Which, I have to say as we discuss great coaching - what a fantastic job that coach did of preparing his team to win the games that matter. Central lost 4 or 5 games in the regular season to teams far better than they and then sailed through the playoffs to a 3A title whereas Bell and Knox and RC and LC had great regular season records but could not win the big games. Maybe a tougher schedule really does pay big dividends when it counts?

Good post, again. To answer your question though, imo yes you had teams in 4a and 5a that could have played LC's schedule. Some might lose a few games. Some might lose one game. And you might have a few that didn't lose a game at all. That part you never know?????
I don't think 3a is as easy as some thinks it is but in no way is it as hard as 4a. 5a? Well I don't know to be honest with you. But 4a, no way. Besides 4a no other class compares or is as good as this besides maybe 6a. I'm not for sure if 6a is as good or better. That would be an interesting poll question I think....
What does Bell pay? what does the school in the region pay? This would be interesting info
Luke Salmons of LC, could be a nice suggestion, look what hes done there.
If had had half the talent of Bell Co the past 2 seasons the dawgs would have been something for sure
Can anyone provide any information about the flyer/memo that Bell County's Principal passed out to all of the players about the job search???
redstorm Wrote:What does Bell pay? what does the school in the region pay? This would be interesting info

Don't know the exact figures because it would be different than what Dudley made but I'm willing to bet you Bell is near the bottom in HC salary....
Good guess...10,000 HC, 3,000 DC, OC 1,500 Assistant
AnswertheBell Wrote:Good guess...10,000 HC, 3,000 DC, OC 1,500 Assistant

Yeah I knew the assistant and coordinator salaries which are pitiful to say the least but I figured Dudley was shoveled a little more salary wise a couple years ago. I don't know how many of you knew about those negotiations back then?lol
I'd say that is close to most similar schools in the area. Probably closer than you think anyway. Harlan County HC's pay is 10,000. 4 to all assistants. That is all sports.
AnswertheBell Wrote:Good guess...10,000 HC, 3,000 DC, OC 1,500 Assistant

Some schools may pay little more some little less but that is about par for the course.
footballfever Wrote:Some schools may pay little more some little less but that is about par for the course.

I just know assistants pay is a joke. I done it myself and trust me you spend more money than that on your own going back and forth each day while coaching. If you don't love it with a passion, being an assistant coach isn't a good idea....
easyM Wrote:I just know assistants pay is a joke. I done it myself and trust me you spend more money than that on your own going back and forth each day while coaching. If you don't love it with a passion, being an assistant coach isn't a good idea....

Agree. Did it myself for 22 years. I have heard of some school, very few, pay 4-5000 but most are 1500-3000.
  •  Previous
  • 19(current)
  • Next