Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Ever been to Martin County Sir? We Know what its like for the Coal Industries to Piiss down are back and tell us its raining.

Im sure you remember October 11 2000 just as clear as i do. If not here is a history lesson. The Martin County Sludge Spill! When the bottom of a coal sludge impoundment owned by Massey Energy released Over 300 million gallons of slurry down two tributaries of the Tug Fork River. The Spill filled the creeks 5 feet deep of sludge. Filling almost every Coldwater yard with nothing but oozing sludge. The water supply for over 27,000 residents was contaminated, and all aquatic life in Coldwater Fork and Wolf Creek was killed. You can walk outside to any creek bank in martin county and just turn a rock over and its black. The fish are finally coming back 10 years later.

U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, wife of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), oversaw the Mine Safety and Health Administration at the time. Chao place a McConnell staffer in charge of the MSHA investigation into the spill. In 2002, a $5,600 fine was levied. That September Massey gave $100,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, chaired by McConnell.

$5,600? That ought to clean everything up!

I don't want no coal miner to lose his job. But the coal industries have put the workers and the citizens around them in danger for years. There finally getting a taste of there own medicine.

[Image: http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/10/20/sludge.jpg]

Go watch This Video. http://appalshop.org/sludge/video/Sludge...20High.mov
I could care less if they are out of a job or not. Maybe they will ban together and make the companies clean up their act. If this happens, maybe they will reclaim their career.
Messages In This Thread
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal - by TheRealVille - 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM