Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal
Hoot Gibson Wrote:And it makes me sick to see people claiming to be conservatives tarring all corporations and capitalism in general with such a wide brush. When the recession hit Indiana the company for which I worked kept the entire staff on the payroll for 5 months after losing nearly all of its business while the owner attempted to renogiate the terms of a contract to keep us working. He spent over a million dollars of his own money to keep us employed while we scrambled to find new jobs.

Massey has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in eastern Kentucky and has provided thousands of Appalachians with a good living. When I was employed in the coal business, part of my job was to negotiate contracts with coal companies. Of the largest coal companies with whom I can think of only one that I considered to be managed by outlaws. Shady characters were more common in smaller coal companies, but most of them were run by honest people as well.

Accidents happen but it is very hard for small companies to survive long enough to become large companies if they ignore laws and regulations and mistreat their employees. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule and good large companies will always have a few bad apples in them, just like any other large organizations of human beings. But it is wrong to demonize an entire company over an accident or the actions of a handful of people.

Capitalism has lifted more people out of poverty than any economic system in the history of the world. If you do not believe that, then you are not nearly as conservative as you believe.
:Clap: You are sold out at all cost, good going. Of course, living in Jackson, MS., you don't have to worry about the water or anything else in EKY. We don't need your kind back here, feel free to stay south. I hope the oil get's in your water supply.
Messages In This Thread
An open letter to Ashley Judd: In Defense of Coal - by TheRealVille - 06-29-2010, 06:51 PM