Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC's Chandler Shepherd named All-American
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I think it is very important to give congrats to Chandler!! I think like everyone said he is the elite pitcher in Eastern Kentucky. I think it is also relevant to state that he got this "All American" status without really throwing a pitch since he was a sophomore, and his stats were probably better his freshman year. The fact that he had surgery does play a part in this and does maybe put Pikeville on a level playing field when he is on the mound? Pikeville proved last season they can compete with anyone. They had a "who's going to blink first" game in the All "A" last year against Lexington Christian as well as a great run in the tourny. I think that experience alone puts them on a level playing field? Chandler is by far the best pitcher in the region, that's really not up for debate, but just because he is on the mound doesnt mean Pikeville can't win? If anything with LC sitting at home last season watching the Panthers move on maybe even puts the edge over to Pikeville? Just remember you still have to score atleast one run no matter who's on the mound?
But he did throw one pitch Jackrabbit. I think a lot of the status and recognition goes from a pitch that he threw in a showcase in Jupiter, Florida. When you hit 93 on the gun after Tommy John surgery scouts take notice. They dont care if you throw it over the backstop. While I dont really know if it's better take a kid who be able to throw 90+ and dont really know how to pitch or take a kid that throws 87 with a live arm and a wealth of pitching saavy and work on his velocity, but the fact is that most scouts are arrogant enough to think they can teach anyone anything. Thank goodness there have been a few Greg Maddox's come through to humble those that think the former.
Messages In This Thread
LC's Chandler Shepherd named All-American - by Bob Seger - 02-01-2011, 09:51 AM