Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV set top boxes and computers on a stick
I decided to take the plunge and bought a Minix G4 Android device ($68) a couple of weeks ago. The power supply that came with it is a piece of junk that caused problems with the device after it warmed up, so I replaced it with a better one from Samsung ($11). The new power supply eliminated the problems that I had. For $79 (delivered thanks to my Amazon Prime account), I have a big screen tablet that runs faster than any tablet that I have seen. It runs most of the software that my tablets run, but there are a few apps that I have not yet managed to get working (most importantly, Tunein Radio and Amazon video streaming).

If you have an Android phone or tablet, then you already know how to use the G4 stick. I added a Logitech wireless keyboard with a trackpad and a 7-port powered USB hub, but even with those costs added in, I have a very cheap computer that can stream HD video. Youtube videos stream at 720p with no problems. The device is supposed to be capable of streaming 1080p videos from a network but I have not tested one yet. I have a USB DVD/CD recorder that should work with it and you can also store data on a microSD card, USB flash drive, hard drive, or solid state drive.

This would work great as a cheap computer for young kids.
Messages In This Thread
TV set top boxes and computers on a stick - by Hoot Gibson - 05-04-2013, 11:10 AM