Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley?
HAROLD Wrote:I can see Tom Larkey being in the mix for the Whitley Co job. With the way politics play a huge role up there, I can see him wanting out. I've also heard that an outside source has been getting into players ears up there. I've not heard any particulars but there's a chance a certain former Cawood/Cumberland coach sees HC can be a successful program and wants another shot on the sidelines. This is just hearsay but it makes sense to me.

Another tired rumor that's been going around since BEFORE the school even opened.
As Bear Claw said, coach Larkey will stay until he wants to leave. As far as I know, coach Larkey has not suffered in any way because of politics. He was brought to Harlan County by Tim Saylor (the former Cawood/Cumberland coach) because Saylor wanted to have a winning program.
If there was any politics involved in the coaching hiring at HCHS, then all the other schools in eastern Kentucky should try it because I'd like to hear someone who put together a better coaching staff in the first year of a school than Saylor and former principal Bob Howard.
The other part I don't understand every time this HEARSAY comes up is that Saylor is hoping to undermine Larkey, when he was the guy who convinced him to come here. The other part that bothers me is that somebody will always say we sure don't want that to happen, as if Saylor was not a good coach. Anyone who has any doubts about Saylor's coaching ability should look at his record. He had one losing season in about 20 years and won EVERYWHERE he went. He was one of the top coaches in eastern Kentucky and one of the most successful ever to coach in Harlan County. He had a run at Cumberland that was as good as anyone ever to coach here, except for Ed Miracle.
Messages In This Thread
Who is going to be the new coach at Whitley? - by HDE - 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM