Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overachieving and Underachieving Teams
(11-13-2023, 02:14 PM)The Red Eminence Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 10:05 PM)ROTC Wrote: I think most folks in Danville are waiting for DCA to start a football program at this point.
Frankly, I don't think most folks in Danville care. Administrative antagonism smothered the final embers of hope the Admirals had. The school system chased out longtime fans who experienced the unrelenting dominance of years past and dared to question the "new direction." Well, I have a few questions.

What comes next for Danville football? After a historic season for all the wrong reasons, the Admirals look to repeat. They might win a game or two if their best players return. Imagine the school's narrative. After a winless season, Danville will acclaim a 1-10, 2-9, or 3-8 season as foundation building. A 5-6 season will mean the mighty Admirals have returned to spread fear throughout 2A. If they can cobble together a winning season, then we might see celebrations comparable to winning a state title. 

What might have happened? I agree with the DBD and his hypothetical. If Danville retained Clevenger, they might well be fighting for their next championship. At the least they would make a deep run in the tournament. All of this is possible because the talent wouldn't have been forced out with their coach. 

If Danville chased their fans away, where are they now? Danville assumed that fans would return after all of their leadership's poor decisions, overt attacks upon the school's rich history, and insults to the community. They were wrong. Instead of waiting around for change, former Admiral fans can still be seen under Friday night lights. They might be at Boyle, cheering on the kids who formerly suffered at Danville. They might be at Somerset, watching their old coach make a drive into the state tournament. They might be at any game where you can find a program valuing community, tradition, and sportsmanship.

My final question: have you been to Stadium of Champions lately? The stands are empty as a few parents and family friends cheer on the Admirals. You can't see this and feel anything but sorrow for the kids. These players give it their all, but many in the community have been too wronged by the school to return. Old men gather under the stadium wall bearing dates of state titles. They look up and ask, "Remember when?" That is all they can do. If you look close, you might see the decayed, chipped paint on the wall surrounding the titles. Sometimes poetry surrounds us.

I got goosebumps reading this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Shogun's post:
  • Danville Blue Devil, nemo
Messages In This Thread
RE: Overachieving and Underachieving Teams - by Shogun - 11-13-2023, 03:53 PM