Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can mysticism lead to God?
BaseballMan Wrote:"now I realize what we all are. And if only everyone could realize this! I suddenly saw all the secret beauty of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach, the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God's eyes. If only they could or see themselves as they really are. If only we could see each other that way all the time. There would be no more war, no more hatred, no more cruelty, no more greed… I suppose the big problem would be that we would fall down and worship each other."

"A person of true faith travels, not without difficulty, towards the heart of mystery. Such a person, as Merton puts it, 'works his way through the darkness of his own mystery until he discovers that his own mystery and the mystery of God merge into one reality, which is the only reality.' DQ 180."
-----------------------------------------------
These quotations are standard descriptions of the pantheistic myth that we are all in God. In their own minds, Merton and Shannon have literally transmuted God Himself into their own image, having exchanged Him for human beings as an object of worship. Have they not, in the words of Romans 1:23,

"changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man"?
------------------------------------------------
Thus Keating, Merton and Shannon with their pantheistic identification with God have attempted destroy God's self-sufficiency as Creator, and the Lord God Almighty. They have endeavored to clone God into the image of humans. According to Romans 1:25, have they not…

[INDENT]"changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever"?[/INDENT]
No wonder Merton admits,

[INDENT]"If only they could or see themselves as they really are… I suppose the big problem would be that we would fall down and worship each other."[/INDENT]
In the place of the true worship of God, they have set about to establish pantheistic idolatry.

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/mysti...nnett.html

Your use of the Merton quote is, not surprisingly a "lift and misuse" tactic that Young Earthers have mastered. Merton is here referencing something said by C. S. Lewis. Merton did not worship nature as equal to God...but rather reverenced it as manifesting God, as speaking to the human spirit. I have talked with Young Earthers before and found their cocksureness amusing.
Messages In This Thread
Can mysticism lead to God? - by BaseballMan - 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by thecavemaster - 05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by BaseballMan - 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by thecavemaster - 05-19-2008, 06:30 PM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by BaseballMan - 05-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by thecavemaster - 05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by BaseballMan - 05-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Can mysticism lead to God? - by ComfortEagle - 05-20-2008, 04:05 AM