Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are your Little League All-stars picked?????
Well I can speak from experience, I as a coach started a travel team in USSSA, AABC and American All-stars and this is how I picked my team. I first took my son and other kids who I knew could play baseball, and let me say this, they loved baseball and they never missed. Then I took kids who I knew from the league. I started a team when they were 8 years old and they played together for 2 years. There were 4 coaches including me and we as coaches had the overall selection of the boys. Out of all of the kids that played on my team, ALL were kids in the little league program at Russell/Flatwoods. I happened to be a board member at the time I did this and I CAUGHT ALL KINDS OF ****. I had parents call my house asking why their kid was not on my team, why their kid did not make the team. How can you explain to 50 people that you play 9 at a time and 3 alternates who can pitch. These kids played together for 2 years and the team changed over time but one thing was for sure, they learned to play baseball and they learned to win. Out of the 12 kids that played on my travel team. 11 made the all-star teams at RF. One did not becasue he lived out of district but plays in our league. he is not elligible to play in All-stars. Now if you think that the votes were rigged to pick these kids for all-stars you are mistaken. These kids can play baseball and if you did not pick them you would be silly. I am thankful that some parents were understanding and knew that this team was not started to hurt feelings but to better those kids who were playing baseball. They played together as 8 year olds and went 38 and 2. As 9 year olds they played in a 9-10 year old division and held ther own only loosing to few team that were loaded with good 10 year olds. As 9 year old they played in the state tourny for USSSA, voted as best defensive team and people could not believe that not only were they from the same stae but they all went to school together at the same school. They performed very well. As 10 year olds they played and beat alot of teams, I think they only lost 5 games all year. When All-stars were picked these kids were ready to play. THEN we had 1 kid put his hand thru a window requiring stitches on his throwing hand. We had one break a leg in regular season that kept him out. Then 2 weeks before we go to state a kid has to have an emergency appendectomy. he still played in the state tourney, not 100% but played. The boys did very well in the LLstate tourney last year but they could have done better, and I hope it will be their year to win the state tourney. We dont know who will be picked for all-stars and that is what scary...... Those 2 picks that are left up to the coach can either make you a genius or a target.
We will know more Sunday morning when it is posted.

Lets pray for those kids that are elligible to represent their area in the tourney this year..
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Messages In This Thread
How are your Little League All-stars picked????? - by DEVILOLOGIST - 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM