Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
kybaseball Wrote:If i remember correctly J.R. was a little taller and much stronger than May. Like J.R.said it's a differnet era. They faced a different level of compitetion.I think without a doubt players are better in J.R. era. I think without a doubt JR would dominate in Mays era but i think May would struggle in JRs era.
There are more finese players today that could do what May did , they want to stay outside and bomb away (i'm not saying that is all he did)Most players would rather gaurd a player like that than a banger..JR could bang with the best of them,theres not to many players willing to do that .Most of the players that will bang have nowhere the skill JR had.I guess one will pick a side on what kind of player they favor.Give me a highly skilled center that is a team player anyday.

Of course i wouldn't be upset if i could have played a 1/3 as good as May in my day.
Contrary to what you may think basketball is not much different than it was in the 80's and 90's, or the 70's for that matter. The biggest difference that I can see is perhaps the players currently are not as fundamentaly sound as they were a couple of decades ago. And they get worse and worse with each passing era. We are not talking about the NBA, we are talking about HIGH SCHOOL basketball here in the mountains of eastern Kentucky.

Give me one good reason to think that May would not be as dominate in the 90's as well as here in the 2000's? Try naming one of those 6'8" finese guys that has plays in this area(or any other area of Kentucky) that you say can do what Mays could do back then. Your talking like those players are a dime a dozen. Go ahead, just name me one. You cant do it, because it aint so and there is not one single one of them around here. 6'8" guys are as rare as hen's teeth, let alone one who can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. It's a totaly ridiculous comment to say that he would struggle. Regardless of whatever you may think, the quality and caliber of basketball stinks in this current era as opposed to what it was in the 60's, 70's, or 80's or the 90's. The 15th region in particular, just gets weaker and weaker and weaker.
Messages In This Thread
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)? - by Mr.Kimball - 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM