Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10
I'm just going to copy and paste the same post that I placed on the topic of this show in the football thread because I don't feel like retyping it...

Unread Today, 06:35 PM #95

Okay, so I wasn't going to make my opinion known too much about this whole show because it was the most ignorant thing I've ever watched, and I knew before even watching it that it would be.

My opinion is, what about the good things happening here in all the communities, Harlan County was one of the places shown (which is where I'm from), what about showing the new things going on in the hospital, all the work that's been done on it. What about the fact that the hospital has been in the top 100 hospitals now for like 2 or 3 years now? What about the fact that Harlan Independent High School has been in the top 10 high schools since 2006? What about the new drug center (Hope center) for women who are on drugs that are now making a life for themselves? What about the new detention center? What about the new high school, and all the classes and new programs being offered there? What about the new school store which is allowing students to work there and gain knowledge in the working business?

I ask where was all this stuff? The reason I mention only Harlan county things is because I live here, I'm not saying that we're better than any other county, or anything like that, so don't say it. I simply only know these things about my county, if someone else knows things about the other counties, then list the things you wish they would of posted.

What blows my mind is people say "oh it's mountain dews fault that we don't have teeth" that's the most ignorant thing ever! What about dark pop? I mean seriously... the PARENTS give them the pop to drink which shouldn't be done to begin with, but why not teach them to brush their teeth! If they would brush their teeth then they probably wouldn't have a problem. And I don't want to hear that they don't have money for it, all you have to do is go to the dentists office and they give free toothbrushes away, and even if they don't, go to the health department, and I know that they give them away at schools sometimes, so you can get a darn toothbrush, teach your kids to brush their teeth if you're going to give them junk food and let them drink pop and quit you're complaining about it!

Now, Shawn Grimm's story I look at it in both views, I feel for him for everything he's been through, but he's had support I'm sure, from his coach or so it seemed like that on TV. If you want to make something of yourself then you're going to do it, regardless of the support or not, that should push you MORE to want to accomplish something, he accomplished graduating without them, so why not college? Why not do it so you can throw it back in their face and say "look I did this WITHOUT you, without help, without support." If he didn't have money, they would of put him on finical aid, and theres plenty of other people that do this stuff with all their problems, with all the not having food and all that, other people do it, so why make an exception for him. What about the kids that go to high school and middle schools and only eat AT school, is everyone going to start forking out stuff for them to make it through college? DOUBTFUL.

I'm going to say that the show for Harlan was portrayed halfway, yes we have those problems, yes things are still needing to change, but things like this happen EVERYWHERE not just in the Appalachian community, why not go out to Hollywood and document the people on drugs out there, or what about New York, Detroit , places like this? Why not go somewhere else instead of coming here. Or if you're going to come here, then come back and do another hour long special on things that are CHANGING and the things that are happening that are going GOOD for our communities.

Now again, I talk about Harlan county because this is where I live, I don't know all the other counties situations or things that are changing there, hence the reason I didn't mention those, so don't say I'm trying to pick out Harlan county as the only county to talk about that's doing good, I'm sure others are, but it wasn't portrayed, and I don't live there so I don't know what's going on there, I only know what's going on here.
Messages In This Thread
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by Pupaw - 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by Pupaw - 02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by Joker - 02-14-2009, 01:21 AM
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by Joker - 02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by Joker - 02-14-2009, 02:24 AM
A Hidden America ABC Friday Night @ 10 - by sc06cheer - 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM