Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier boys win 24th straight state swim title
LOUISVILLE — Covington Catholic junior Max Williamson broke two state records, but it wasn't enough to prevent St. Xavier from securing its 24th straight boys' state swimming championship.

Williamson broke the 200-yard individual medley record (1:48.88) during Friday's preliminaries and the 500-yard freestyle record (4:28.89) at the Pannell Swim Shop/KHSAA Swimming and Diving Championship finals Saturday.

"Max is a special swimmer. He doesn't typically think it is all about him, although it is all about him when it comes to the media and the people in the stands and the swimmers he competes against," said Covington Catholic Coach Richard Dickmann. "He takes these high school meets as a chance to be part of the team and the results are obvious — two state records in two days."

Scott Ryan, who set the record in the 500 freestyle in 1987 for CovCath (4:29.67), presented the first-place medal to Williamson at the University of Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium.

"The most gratifying is the 500-freestyle record because it has been there so long, and to keep it in the Covington Catholic family," Williamson said. "It is a really good feeling."

Williamson's record-breaking performances led Covington Catholic to second place.

"You never can be too happy about second, but it has been a building process for us and we are starting to get some momentum," Dickmann said. "We have won five state championships and we look forward to the time we can get our sixth."

St. Xavier extended its streak of team championships to 24 years, outscoring Covington Catholic 484.5-235.

"Each team is entitled to their own place in that streak," said St. Xavier Coach Todd Larkin. St. X posted wins in the 200 medley relay, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle relay and 100 backstroke.

"We knew we had the depth going in," Larkin said. "I am proud of how the team has trained all year long. We focus on what we control — our actions, our technique and our approach to the meet," Larkin said. "We had 26 individuals contribute to today's championship. That's where our focus will always be — on the team."

Tates Creek finished sixth with 99 points. The Commodores were sixth in the 400 freestyle relay and seventh in the 200 medley relay.

"I am really proud of our guys. They stepped up and swam really well," said Tates Creek Coach Dave Doolin. "For us, we are really young and graduate nobody — so the future looks really good."

Tates Creek sophomore Ethan Curl was fourth in the 500 freestyle and sixth in the 200 freestyle.

"I'm looking forward to next year," Curl said. "I think I am going to be a lot faster."

Fifth Region champ Paul Dunbar scored 93 points for seventh place. The Bulldogs were fourth in the 200 freestyle relay and fifth in the 400 freestyle relay.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/25/20838...rylink=cpy
Messages In This Thread
St. Xavier boys win 24th straight state swim title - by Stardust - 02-25-2012, 09:14 PM