Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
Ben Franklin was a lot of fun to watch. Hell of a talent.  Hellava  patriot.

Good job, Van , on the Clay Co. question.    Franklin and OBI upset Clay by two points in the opening round of the district in '77 and then beat Rockastle in the title game.   I remember the regional well because I was a freshman that year at CHS and the regional tournament was at Corbin. I recall being excited to watch Franklin and OBI.   The Mountaineers lost by two points to Cumberland in the opening round.  Bell County beat Middlesboro in the championship game. Ironically, the two teams with the highest LIT ratings at the end of the '77 season was Clay and Cawood, and both fell short in the post-season(I think Cawood lost to eventual champ, Bell, in the first round of the regional).

After Brodhead's surprising run to the 13th region title in '72, Clay Co. began to assert its dominance for nearly two decades.   From 1973 to 1990 , only two schools prevented Bobby Keith's Tigers from a clean sweep of all 13th region championships during that  18-year period.  Can you name these schools?
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-15-2021, 12:21 AM