Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(02-21-2021, 04:45 PM)HCS Wrote: I'll be real impressed if anyone knows the other team to beat Cawood in 1978...
Let me say I don't know the answer to this but I'm going to take a guess based on a couple of things I do know.

I do know that Cumberland had some pretty good teams in the seventies, right up there with Cawood.  The logical answer would be Cumberland. In fact, those two probably had the most 52nd district titles in the seventies.  So, if my life depended on me getting it right I would say Cumberland. But my life doesn't depend on it. So, I'll go another direction.  I also know Lone Jack had some pretty decent teams in the late seventies and early eighties. I know they made the regional about every year during a span of four or five years around that time. So, in '78, they might have been competitive enough to upset a strong Cawood team.  But I'm going with a darkhorse. I graduated in '80 and so I know for a fact that the Lynch Bulldogs entered the regional tournament that year as a champion of  the 52nd. Not sure how good they were in '78  but I know they were in the region tournament as district winner or runner up several times during the seventies and eighties.  Just a  somewhat educated guess, I'll go with Lynch . If not them, Lone Jack.

(02-21-2021, 12:30 AM)Corbin Wrote: I could be wrong but let’s say Michael Jones, Charles Thomas, and Todd Cox of Harlan, Tony Pietrowski of Corbin, Chris McKissick of Clay, Madden at Jackson?, Keith Sloan of Cumberland? McDaniel or Bennett of Corbin? Maybe an Elam from Knox?

Pretty darn good. You nailed five of them.

(02-20-2021, 09:27 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: To illustrate just how incredibly talented the 13th region was in '94 , we had three 1st team All-State players,  one  2nd team All-Stater,  one 3rd team All-Stater , and four  Honorable Mentions on the All-State team.

How many of the nine can you name?

First Team:

Michael Jones (Harlan) ;    Charles Thomas (Harlan)  ;   Tony P. (Corbin)

Second Team:

Chris McKissic

Third Team:

Ryan Wilson(Wburg) - one of the state's top scorers AND rebounders

Honorable Mention:

Jeff "Chico" Baldwin(Jackson Co.) ;  Todd Cox (Harlan)  ; 

Casey Lester (Harlan)   ;     Allen Sharpe(KC) -one of the best long-range shooters I've ever seen
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-22-2021, 02:23 AM