Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(02-23-2021, 09:54 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I don’t know if it was the last mountain team, but Clay Co. entered the 1989 state tournament undefeated. This was the year AFTER Farmer and Chadwell had graduated, Clay was led by Russ Farmer, Boxhead Rawlings and Rodger Simms. They lost in the first round to Marshall Co. who had Vandy signee Dan Langhi as their star.

This was also the year when Barbourville pulled one of the biggest district tournament upsets in 13th region history, beating a wildly talented Knox Central team (that included current coach Tony Patterson) by two to end their season. Clay had beaten Knox Central three times that year, all in very close games, and I don’t think anybody was looking forward to seeing them again.

You are correct, VH.  It was indeed the very talented Russ Farmer-led Clay Co. team. They were 33-0 entering the '89 Sweet Sixteen. They fell to Marshall Co., I believe, by four points in the opening round. Ironically enough, the last team to finish the season undefeated and win the Sweet Sixteen was Brewers( from Marshall County) in 1948.    Prior to Brewers accomplishing the feat, Ashland won the state title in 1928, finishing with an unblemished record of something like 37-0.

Btw,  "Spider" Thurman's  1953 Clay Co. team entered the Sweet 16  at  34-0  before losing to eventual state champ, Lafayette, in the quarterfinals.

(02-22-2021, 11:27 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: What is the only school to have won a  50th District Championship  AND  a  51st District Championship   AND  a  52nd  District Championship ?

Corbin wo the inaugural 52th District tourney title in '32  , won the 51st  in '36(the year they won the state title),  and lead the 50th district schools with 43 titles.

DISCLAIMER:   Upon further research, I discovered that Barbourville also has won all three district titles. The Tigers won the 52nd in '33 and '34 ,  the 51st  in '35 , and the  50th (for the first time) in '44.
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-23-2021, 10:18 AM