Poll: Who Wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Paducah Tilghman
37.14%
Covington Catholic
62.86%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paducah Tilghman at Covington Catholic 11/24 4th Round Playoffs
I think that we can all agree that Paducah Tilghman didn't have the same strength of schedule as many teams remaining, but I'm curious as to how everyone thinks they realistically could have scheduled.

If you are in a district with Allen County Scottsville, Logan County, Warren East, Calloway County and Russellville, how do you avoid playing them? Should they have sent some players to them to make sure they were facing tougher competition? You'll notice most of these schools are in the fourth region and are 2+ hour bus rides each way. I'm guessing that the gates and concessions for these games aren't exactly funneling money into your program either.

They kept their rivalry game against a much bigger school in 6A McCracken County. Are you going to cancel the city-country rivalry and throw them off the schedule? If not, you've just filled 6 of the 10 games that you get.

I'll rattle off traditional programs in their area that they could have played and list the travel time: Mayfield (35 minutes, check), Bowling Green, Owensboro, Owensboro Catholic (all 2.25-2.5+ hours). Did I miss anyone who isn't getting ready to play a semifinal game? No. Are either of the Owensboro schools going to boot the other, Daviess County, or Apollo from their schedule to make room for you? Probably not.

Henderson County and Hopkinsville (1.25 hours, check and check) are in your next tier. We're at 9 of 10.

If you're taking a one-way 3.5+ hour bus ride into Louisville or a 4+ hour bus ride into Lexington, is there anyone that they'd miss along the way that wasn't mentioned? If you are going to Louisville, you are literally traveling at least 450 miles round trip. To put this in perspective, to drive one-way from Lexington to Chicago is 372 miles. A one-way trip from Paducah to Covington is 312 miles.

Who in Kentucky was beating down Tilghman's door for a home and home? If there's anyone, are they worth spending more on travel and taking another hit on the gates and concessions or do you want new jerseys and a coat of paint on the bleachers like all the schools who won't literally have to travel thousands of miles this season? 

Do you play an out-of-state team and risk taking what can come with some of those games? 

What's the solution when you are isolated in a corner of the state and forced to play in a weak district with few geographic rivals and extended travel to almost every game?

It's one thing to duck competition, but looking at their schedule, I can see how they could wanted a tougher slate but were boxed in.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Paducah Tilghman at Covington Catholic 11/24 4th Round Playoffs - by Cactus Jack - 11-21-2023, 10:45 PM