Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
kyrifle Wrote:Let me throw a coupls names out here for you to ponder.
In 1957, Bob Daniels, Oil Springs High, played college basketball and baseball at WKU
was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals of the NBA and the Pittsburg Pirates MLB. Chose baseball over basketball. Pitched in the pirates orginazation for a few years before having to hang it up with arm trouble. Went on to coach Ky Weslyan to 2 national championships before moving on to coach Marshall Uni.

Charlie Osborne, Flat Gap High, Played at WKU. Drafted by the Syracuse Nationals of the NBA in 1961. Probably the best offensive player to come out of the 57th district.
Second on the KHSAA scoring leader stat. Finished high school with 3647 points.
Seems unreal that two guys from the mountains still hold the number 1 and 2 positions on the career scoring list, both from the 15th region.

Orbie Bowling, Sandy Hook High, played college ball at Tennessee drafted by the New York Knicks in 1963. Played for the KY Colonels 1967-68 year.

These guys were true centers. I think JR and Dan Hall were both true centers. Todd May was a very skilled and versitle player who could play center or forward.
It's really hard to compare guys from different era's but good players can play in any era there is. They just find a way to compete.

If you're going to pick just one player in high school based on points production and rebounding I think Charlie Osborne is the guyto go with. His stats verify it. JMO
and opinions are like ears everyone will have a couple.

I agreee with you Kyrifle, I think Charlie was one of best. I attached a link below about Charlie and his playing days at WKU. I been told that Rupp wanted Charlie to play at UK, but Rupp wanted Charlie to play forward instead of center, but Charlie wanted to play center and signed to play for Coach Diddle at WKU.

http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/legends/osborne.html
Messages In This Thread
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)? - by Old School - 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM