Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past Heisman Trophy Winners - Who's the biggest bust from the past 20 years
Stardust Wrote:As we prepare for the Heisman announcement this weekend, I thought about who has been the biggest bust after they won the award once they got to the NFL. This is not meant to bash the player for winning the award, nor is their an expectation that just because you are a great college player, it translates into being a good pro. But I think so much stigma goes to the award winner, that expectations are very high for them to do great things at the next level.

For me, it was Archie Griffin. He is the only two time winner of the award. He went on to the pro's and did nothing. I have to admit that I was too young to even remember Griffin since he is a product of the mid-70's, and I really can't say that I ever watching him. So, to fit the most of us that are Members of this site, I'd like to just look at the winners from the past 20 years. Who do you think had the most expectations but never lived up to them?

The key to this argument is, who had the most expectations? A guy like Gino Toretta was not even picked in the NFL draft until the 7th round, so, was there really any expectation that he would be a good pro? Yet, a guy like Andre Ware in 1989 was picked 7th overall. He obviously had a huge amount of expectation to be the saviour of the Lions. His career stats ended with a 1,000 total yards passing, 5 TD's and 8 INT's, and obvious bust!

Jarons Wrote:Seriously, can you consider a Heisman Trophy winner a bust? It is the best college football player that season, not best pro prospect.

You must not have read the thread header.
Messages In This Thread
Past Heisman Trophy Winners - Who's the biggest bust from the past 20 years - by Stardust - 12-10-2010, 07:23 PM