Rate This Thread - Somerset 16 Raceland 13.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:54 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,373 Times in 3,396 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Default Somerset 16 Raceland 13
Final.

Great game!!

Defensive battle all night!!

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Head Coach

Liked 624 Times in 433 Posts
ROCKSOLID69 is on a distinguished road
Jumpers still rolling
Send a private message to ROCKSOLID69 Add ROCKSOLID69 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Scout Team
Liked 294 Times in 197 Posts
Orange Blaze is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Somerset. You guys have some really good athletes. For the second week in a row the Rams came up short in a game that they could have won. With the exception of this year's Ashland game, the last few games that we have lost have all been winable in the closing minutes but we haven't been able to get it done in crunch time situations. Raceland always has the potential to be great but until we can learn how to win close games Raceland will always be a mediocre program that can't take the next step forward.
Ramcat77 (09-29-2017)
Send a private message to Orange Blaze Add Orange Blaze to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:03 PM
State Champion

Liked 1,218 Times in 910 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
To win these close games, the decision making process within the offense has got to change. Lord have mercy it's the same 5 plays over and over, week in and week out. I've tried giving the benefit of the doubt, I've been very patient, but it ain't working. Our defense has played their tails off all year long. In each loss they have done more than enough to give us a shot to win the game. Had the ball twice with a chance to score and couldn't pull it off. Will Hale punted one **** of a football tonight. Special teams and defense is great this year. Offenaively, the tallent and personel is there, but we are WAY to predictable. Idk if predictable is even the word for it. I called all but two plays in the first half before they happened. That shouldn't be the case. The HB pass was a great and gut call. The scoring drive out of half time, great calls. We were avg 5 or 6 yds a carry off tackle and some short inside and outside curls. When we do that our offense moves really well. But it's only done two or three drives a game. I'm just at a loss at this point. Somerset is a good ball club and in no way did our boys ever lay down. Two in a row like this is hard to swallow.
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Starter

Liked 484 Times in 343 Posts
OldJacket is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Bunnies, tough loss for Raceland...Games like this will make Raceland a tough out in the playoffs...Fear the Bunny...
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Scout Team
Liked 239 Times in 176 Posts
Ramcat77 is on a distinguished road
Salmons is a decent coach, but that's about it. He's too predictable and mundane in his playcalling. He refuses to use the talent and depth he has on the sideline. Unfortunately that's who we are stuck with until who knows when.
RAMDAD50 (09-29-2017)
Send a private message to Ramcat77 Add Ramcat77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 360 Times in 262 Posts
RAM-A-DEVIL is on a distinguished road
Somerset is the best team we've played this year. We lost but I was really impressed with our team tonight. Lot of effort and fight tonight.
Send a private message to RAM-A-DEVIL Add RAM-A-DEVIL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Ram1998 is on a distinguished road
Like said earlier, way to predictiable and the same plays night after night won't get it done. Wake up coach you have to make some better play calling. Our defense is playing lights out. You are goin to have to help them out at some point.
Send a private message to Ram1998 Add Ram1998 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 PM
State Champion

If our offense converts two drives into atleast a field goal this game and last week, is a win. Ashland has more team speed and two stand out play makers, but as a TEAM Somerset was far better than Ashland.
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Asst. Coach
Portsmouth West is better than Ashland. I don't think it's the play calling as much as it is the poor execution on some of the plays. We have to execute better. Some of the stuff I see kids do on some of the plays is just unexplainable to me.
Send a private message to RAM-A-DEVIL Add RAM-A-DEVIL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:10 PM
State Champion

I can't explain not going off tackle. When u look at the avg, we gained 5-7 ypc when we went off tackle, opposite the side 11 was on. Compared to 2 or LESS going between the B gaps. I understand one setz up the other, but I bet we were stopped for a loss more times than not running up the middle. Not having Dalton was a big loss as well, he is a great possession reciever. The inside and outside curls were there all night bc of how they were playing their safety to spy that deep middle. Yes, there are execution issues at times, lots of dropped passes this year, but we never run anything different, no suprises. And it's not like we are belfry or JC and can do things that way. But, all in all, I called this one a 28-14 Bunnies win, so we played better than anticipated. Our defense is a championship caliber defense, imo. If the offense can look like it did coming out of half time, it only makes the defense better. They have been on the field more in the lady two weeks than they have in the other games combined I'd say. Offense just can't get straightened out.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 PM
Asst. Coach
It was a little tough to call plays to the opposite side of #11 because they kept moving him all up and down the defensive line. One play he was on the outside the next play he was on the inside. I know it looks like we run up the middle a lot but a lot of times it's the back going his own way and not hitting the hole or following his lead blocker. And the receivers running routes and sitting down right beside defenders just baffles me. The last offensive play we ran number 12 was going to be wide open and he quit running.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Asst. Coach
How bout that ref crew though. Absolutely horrible! The last touchdown by Somerset was the very definition of offensive pass interference. Gunner was step for step with the guy then the reciever shoves him in the back and creates about 5 yards of separation. Then to make up for that they call pass interference on Somerset on a ball we had no prayer of catching.

Last edited by RAM-A-DEVIL; 09-29-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-29-2017, 11:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 683 Times in 523 Posts
bac2369 is on a distinguished road
I saw these stats for the game.

Somerset
Rushing 22 for 28 yards
Passing 12-17 274 yards

Raceland
Rushing 40 for 139 yards
Passing 7-9 for 49 yards
Ram1998 (09-30-2017)
Send a private message to bac2369 Add bac2369 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:11 AM
Starter
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
F.N.L. is on a distinguished road
Somerset continues to get wins over solid comp..
Send a private message to F.N.L. Add F.N.L. to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:58 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 941 Times in 634 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Somerset may have something to say in their district title race. Nice win for them.
Ram1998 (09-30-2017)
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:05 AM
State Champion

Originally Posted by RAM-A-DEVIL View Post
How bout that ref crew though. Absolutely horrible! The last touchdown by Somerset was the very definition of offensive pass interference. Gunner was step for step with the guy then the reciever shoves him in the back and creates about 5 yards of separation. Then to make up for that they call pass interference on Somerset on a ball we had no prayer of catching.
That was pass interference. But the one they called on Cornett when he and Cam got their feet tied up was not. What got me so **** mad with the officiating was the false start stuff. Somerset had 2 guys in motion on the play that they scored the TD on. That happened multiple times. But the officiating didn't have an outcome in the game. Predictable play calling did and I will give u lack of execution as well. Those two things breed disaster. But let me say this, Yea we gave up 270 to their passing game, but our defense is **** good. That game could have been far worse had they not buckled down and defended like they did in the goal line and our DL was incredible last night getting pressure on Reese. We have got to fix these issues on offense or we have no shot of making a playoff run. Imo, this team needs to pick up the pace on that side of the ball and push the tempo. Seems like every time we have done that this year good things happen. Onward and upward. Very frustrated and irritated for the 2nd week in a row but I will always love and support those kids who put on orange and black. They suprised me last night, I predicted a 2 TD loss, but we had a shot to win the game multiple times. Got to get over this hump. go rams!
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,346 Times in 1,661 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Bunnies.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Scout Team
Liked 408 Times in 212 Posts
JumperPride1 is on a distinguished road
Somerset seemed to have overlooked the Rams. Three empty trips inside the 5? They cash those and the score is fairly lopsided. They better play better this week if they HOPE to compete.
Send a private message to JumperPride1 Add JumperPride1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:56 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,462 Times in 1,915 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Way to go Jumpers ! Somerset doesn't have much offense, but nobody can score against them
Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Scout Team
Defensively Somerset was tough and the Rams had trouble finding holes all night. Somerset also had some good receivers but they left at least 2 TD's on the field with mistimed routes and throws. I'm not sure if they have the depth to compete in the highest levels of 2A but they are a tough squad that shouldn't be overlooked. I'll be following this team from a distance and I wish them luck for the rest of the way this season!
Send a private message to Orange Blaze Add Orange Blaze to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Statistician
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
RTL is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
Way to go Jumpers ! Somerset doesn't have much offense, but nobody can score against them

Well they play Danville and LCA the next two weeks, that will be good test to see if someone can score on them
Send a private message to RTL Add RTL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
SomeBunnyFan_10 is on a distinguished road
First let me say Congrats to my Jumpers. Now let me say to the Raceland fans, you guys are about as classy a bunch as I have met. Everyone was extremely nice and welcoming as any school we have been to. Even after the game was over, all the fans I met were congratulatory to our fans and kids. You have a great fan base and a great team, good luck the rest of your season, and hope to keep this series going a couple more years.
foozeballfanatic (09-30-2017), RamsFan (10-02-2017), Shondue (10-01-2017)
Send a private message to SomeBunnyFan_10 Add SomeBunnyFan_10 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Starter
Liked 327 Times in 246 Posts
anotherfootballnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Raceland has to be able to throw the ball right now other teams to not respect or fear our passing game until that changes the Rams will face 7-9 guys in the box simple as that
Send a private message to anotherfootballnut Add anotherfootballnut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:48 PM
State Champion

Idk why they aren't running the offense elite they did with Nathaniel his Jr year AFN? Got him comfortable making the short outs or inside curls, let him have an RPO on bootlegs, it was consistent and it made teams respect the pass even if there wasn't the deep threat. Damon is a great athelete, I just don't feel like they r putting him position to succeed all the time. Now, some of the issues are on him and the recievers, so it's not all coaching. But Somerset was not very successful throwing the ball in the 1st half. But they stuck with it. I don't think they give Damon enough time to get comfortable. And this is coming from someone that was very iffy on him being a good enough qb. He is, but I don't think this system matches his skill set.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by Scotty_Bronson View Post
Idk why they aren't running the offense elite they did with Nathaniel his Jr year AFN? Got him comfortable making the short outs or inside curls, let him have an RPO on bootlegs, it was consistent and it made teams respect the pass even if there wasn't the deep threat. Damon is a great athelete, I just don't feel like they r putting him position to succeed all the time. Now, some of the issues are on him and the recievers, so it's not all coaching. But Somerset was not very successful throwing the ball in the 1st half. But they stuck with it. I don't think they give Damon enough time to get comfortable. And this is coming from someone that was very iffy on him being a good enough qb. He is, but I don't think this system matches his skill set.
Agreed. It seems like they don't trust him and it shows when he throws the ball. He doesn't seem very confident in his ability to put the ball where it needs to go and he appears to second guess himself a lot. I think the biggest issue surrounding our offense right now is there really isn't a leader on that side of the ball who can manage the tempo of the game. We have several good athletes on the field but at times they seem to be lacking direction and that has to change in order for this team to win big games.
anotherfootballnut (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:03 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,373 Times in 3,396 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Kentucky #1, not only is your post off topic but you are naming a student athlete by name and accusing him of a negative action.

BGR does not tolerate either.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Kentucky#1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Granny Bear View Post
Kentucky #1, not only is your post off topic but you are naming a student athlete by name and accusing him of a negative action.

BGR does not tolerate either.
I wasn't accusing him of a negative action. I was stating a fact but since you reminded me that is against the rules, I won't let it happen again. Sorry Granny Bear.
Send a private message to Kentucky#1 Add Kentucky#1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM
Water Boy
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
foozeballfanatic is on a distinguished road
The rams were very tenacious. I was impressed with the "never quit" spirit of this ball club and the awesome hospitality of both the team and the fans. Class act! I concur though that they are much too talented for the limited offense they run.
Send a private message to foozeballfanatic Add foozeballfanatic to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 PM
State Champion

Something that no one has pointed out, which escaped my attention due to some of things offensively that left me scratching my noggin'. But Dalton Adkins was out for that game. Not only did we miss his sure handed-athleticism offensively, but in the secondary as well. Imo, with Dalton in the game, the deep middle TD to Cornett(#13), doesn't happen. Dalton covers ground really well and has the ability to disguise coverages because of it. Similar to how Messer did. Hopefully he is back after the break and imo, I think we should dress everyone against Fairview, but if we can get away with playing the 1s and 2s sparingly and still win, I say we do it. We have a few kids that are banged up and or playing through some injuries right now. Open week couldn't come at a better time. Prayers for all those kids to heal quickly, especially for Dalton, won't get into detail, but if what I heard was right, it's nothing to play around with.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football