Rate This Thread - 3 UCLA Basketball Players Caught Shoplifting In China.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 980 Times in 655 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Default 3 UCLA Basketball Players Caught Shoplifting In China
LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley and Jalen Hill picked a really bad country to get into trouble.

The three UCLA Bruins basketball players were arrested in China on suspicion of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store near their hotel in Shanghai. They are in China to face Georgia Tech in their season opener this weekend.

Following news of the arrests, Yahoo Sports’ Dan Wetzel did some analysis of the potential legal consequences. He was told the athletes could face 3-10 years if convicted.

Here’s what China’s criminal law code says about theft:

Those who steal relatively large amounts of public or private property and money or have committed several thefts are to be sentenced to three years or fewer in prison or put under criminal detention or surveillance, in addition to fines; or are to be fined. Those stealing large amounts of property and money or involving in other serious cases are to be sentenced to three to 10 years in prison, in addition to fines. Those stealing extraordinarily large amounts of property and money or involving in especially serious cases are to be sentenced to 10 years or more in prison or given life sentences, in addition to fines or confiscation of property. Those falling in one or more of the following cases are to be given life sentence or sentenced to death, in addition to confiscation of property:

(1) Those stealing extraordinarily large amounts of money and property from financial institutions;

(2) those committing serious thefts of precious cultural relics.

The legal expert with whom Wetzel spoke obviously believes the potential theft could fall into the second category for “large amounts of property”, leading to 3-10 years in prison. If their alleged left falls in the first category, they could be sentenced to three years or fewer and fined; or they could be fined.

Another issue is that the players could be detained until prosecutors decide whether to press charges. That process reportedly often takes 30-37 days.

Representatives from UCLA or the US government, or any involved lawyers would have to work to free the athletes from being detained and resolve the case.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...D=ansmsnnews11
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:49 PM

Liked 797 Times in 625 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Big Burgler Brand
Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 PM
MOD

Liked 7,782 Times in 5,372 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Personally I think anytime you get caught doing something like this, especially when you have money like the Balls you should just be kicked off the team.
I'd say the same if it were UK players.
This type of nonsense doesn't deserve another chance.
Westside (11-09-2017)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Hall of Fame

I totally agree, Gut. When you have the money, and you chose to shop lift anyway, you're just choosing to be a thug.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 AM

Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
I bet he won't pull any time at all
Old 11-11-2017, 06:36 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,520 Times in 3,490 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
I don’t know Spud. China could be a tough out!! Daddy Ball and his mouth and arrogance thinks this is “nothing but a misunderstanding”. IMO he has fed the entitlement title to his kids and now they want to cash in on it. It would work out in the US but I’m not so sure about China.

I don’t wish any bad things on any student athlete but at these kids age, I think they should be taught a lesson. Obviously it will be the first accountability lesson of their lives.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Send a private message to Granny Bear Add Granny Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,424 Times in 1,719 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Hard to imagine anyone could be this stupid. Alford needs to suspend all 3 for the year.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 AM
BGR Staff

Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Afraid I have little to no respect for Alford anymore.

China is going to teach Little Ball and the others, accountability lessons that should've been taught by their parents. UCLA returned yesterday without them. It will be interesting to see what goes down.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Send a private message to Granny Bear Add Granny Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Granny Bear View Post
Afraid I have little to no respect for Alford anymore.

China is going to teach Little Ball and the others, accountability lessons that should've been taught by their parents. UCLA returned yesterday without them. It will be interesting to see what goes down.
The fact that they are American athletes will probably hurt them. I bet they are regretting their poor decision making now.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Head Coach
Liked 685 Times in 481 Posts
geauxtigers75 is an unknown quantity at this point
I want to know LiAngelo Ball's thought process here. His dad was somewhat wealthy before, but his brother just signed a big-*** rookie contract in the NBA and he wants to shoplift. Is it that hard to ask Lonzo for a small loan or something? Jeez. What a stupid mistake by these kids.
Send a private message to geauxtigers75 Add geauxtigers75 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:16 AM
BGR Staff

IMO money/need has nothing to do with it. It's entitlement and I believe Daddy Ball has pretty much ruined his kids with it. That's a shame too. They are so talented!

They have not the first clue about responsibility and accountability. China may just teach that lesson to their youngest.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM

Heard today that the BBB is in Hong Kong giving away free shoes.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Starter
Liked 330 Times in 200 Posts
Willie Turnover is on a distinguished road
Does this mean that UCLA is leading the PAC 10 in steals this year?
Send a private message to Willie Turnover Add Willie Turnover to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 PM
BGR Staff

^

Well Trump has intervened and the kids are on their way home. I can't wait to see how the media spins this. I mean Daddy Ball is definitely a liberal big mouth and the media is...well....the media.

Be fun to read about IF it's covered.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/14...oplifting.html

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Anyone watch their interviews after they returned home?
Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ole Man is on a distinguished road
Those kids are lucky that they play for UCLS, Trump just happened to be in the country, and mainly one of their last name is Ball. If one of then isn't a Ball, they have problems. They went to four different stores, and the stores were expensive stores, like the most expensive types of stores. They are lucky they only got off with three weeks in a hotel (house arrest). Nike has a big deal with UCLA, rumor has it NIKE is nervous concerning the Ball family. They might get out while they can. No one will dispute them for doing so, when it comes to an international incident. I wonder if UCLA will expell the three players. Many think they should.
Send a private message to The Ole Man Add The Ole Man to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM
BGR Staff

Well Daddy Ball has pissed Trump off something fierce by saying he had no influence at all on the release of these kids. Trump tweeted this morning that he should've left them in jail.

I expected nothing different from Daddy Ball!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 11-19-2017, 02:52 PM

This is just such a stupid messed up situation. Had these three kids not been collegiate athletes they’d still be over there and probably in a jail. And I’m not convinced if one of them wasn’t a Ball family member then they wouldn’t be back on American soil right now. Why we keep giving this man Lavar Ball attention and raving over their family I’ll never understand.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ole Man is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with the last two posts!
Send a private message to The Ole Man Add The Ole Man to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » College Sports » Basketball