Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(rumor) players transfering
Pupaw Wrote:JR VanHoose was an All American Nominee at Marshall, and led the nation in double-doubles his senior year. He is now playing professional basketball for the East Ky Energy. Keith Adkins (c/o '88 PHS) played at Notre Dame and UNC Wilmington. Bart Williams (JCHS) is the all-time leading scorer in Pikeville College History. And don't get me wrong, Elisha is a great player, but I wouldn't exactly consider what he did this season as "Making a Name for himself with basketball". I'm sure he will do that by the time that he graduates, but thus far, nope.
Let's all be honest here, unfortunately an education is not usually at the top of the priority list when it comes to their children and athletics. The one's who are serious about, for example here basketball, will take their kids who have proven to have good talent to a school that has current success in basketball. The decision is up to the family and nobody should harp on these kids for transferring. Of course everyone would like to for these two to stay put and help lead their teams to the promised land of high school hoops, but Tiller will be a Junior, and Hall a Sophmore. Unless their respective teams start winning some big games to help garner a little attention to their programs, then the scouts/coaches won't drive through the mountains to watch their teams play. Unless they are a college ready talent (which they are not), coaches won't come watch two 15th Region teams play because there isn't the kind of talent that you can find in the Lexington or Louisville area. There are probably 15-20 kids that are very similar talent to Tiller and Hall in both of those places. IF these two want to transfer for exposure to help get them a scholarship, they need to leave the 15th and head to Lexington or Louisville. If they want to win ballgames, then they can either stay put or transfer somewhere together (as this package deal implies). The region's talent from top to bottom is at arguably an all-time low. Not knocking Shelby Valley, but the 15th Region champion advancing to the state tournament and losing by 40 points doesn't help the image of the region. So unless Paintsville and Johnson Central win some high class tournaments, or start competing with some top notch talent, these two will have to settle for local college offers. IF they leave, and transfer to a place where there could be coaches and scouts at nearly every game (Lexington or Louisville area), then the options will obviously expand. As long as the move is made to better these kids' futures, then I'm all for it, because they both have great potential.

great post pappy, absolutley agree.
Pupaw Wrote:JR VanHoose was an All American Nominee at Marshall, and led the nation in double-doubles his senior year. He is now playing professional basketball for the East Ky Energy. Keith Adkins (c/o '88 PHS) played at Notre Dame and UNC Wilmington. Bart Williams (JCHS) is the all-time leading scorer in Pikeville College History. And don't get me wrong, Elisha is a great player, but I wouldn't exactly consider what he did this season as "Making a Name for himself with basketball". I'm sure he will do that by the time that he graduates, but thus far, nope.
Let's all be honest here, unfortunately an education is not usually at the top of the priority list when it comes to their children and athletics. The one's who are serious about, for example here basketball, will take their kids who have proven to have good talent to a school that has current success in basketball. The decision is up to the family and nobody should harp on these kids for transferring. Of course everyone would like to for these two to stay put and help lead their teams to the promised land of high school hoops, but Tiller will be a Junior, and Hall a Sophmore. Unless their respective teams start winning some big games to help garner a little attention to their programs, then the scouts/coaches won't drive through the mountains to watch their teams play. Unless they are a college ready talent (which they are not), coaches won't come watch two 15th Region teams play because there isn't the kind of talent that you can find in the Lexington or Louisville area. There are probably 15-20 kids that are very similar talent to Tiller and Hall in both of those places. IF these two want to transfer for exposure to help get them a scholarship, they need to leave the 15th and head to Lexington or Louisville. If they want to win ballgames, then they can either stay put or transfer somewhere together (as this package deal implies). The region's talent from top to bottom is at arguably an all-time low. Not knocking Shelby Valley, but the 15th Region champion advancing to the state tournament and losing by 40 points doesn't help the image of the region. So unless Paintsville and Johnson Central win some high class tournaments, or start competing with some top notch talent, these two will have to settle for local college offers. IF they leave, and transfer to a place where there could be coaches and scouts at nearly every game (Lexington or Louisville area), then the options will obviously expand. As long as the move is made to better these kids' futures, then I'm all for it, because they both have great potential.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it Former Cheerleader :lmao:
The one thing that needs to be understood is that academics not talent is what will get these boys into college. A college player is a student athlete, thus they have to be good in the classroom or they will not be playing. now more and more college coaches weigh the academics against athletics in their desicions of who they will recruit and give scholarships to. Most of the time a college coach will take a coachable, gifted student that is a good athlete over a great athlete. For the simple fact that these boys arent going pro in one year and they have to stay eligible, for four years or the work the coach put in was wasted.
The best thing they can all do is forget about the ball at the next level, have the absolute most fun you can have playing in high school, and just worry about the grades if they go on to college. There is absolutely nothing more over rated than college athletics.
Bob Seger Wrote:The best thing they can all do is forget about the ball at the next level, have the absolute most fun you can have playing in high school, and just worry about the grades if they go on to college. There is absolutely nothing more over rated than college athletics.

Bob, I've seen you say this more than once? I'd like to know why it is that you say it. Did you play college sports and were not pleased? Or some other reason? Just curious.
LClion4life Wrote:Bob, I've seen you say this more than once? I'd like to know why it is that you say it. Did you play college sports and were not pleased? Or some other reason? Just curious.

No , I had two sons play, and they both had good experiences,( as far as the athletic part), and they got good grades to go with it. They played on highly successful teams, loved their coaches and from what their coaches tell me, they the same. That's not where I am coming from. It's just that the time demands are so great on a student athlete it is very hard to place total emphasis on what you are going to school for to begin with. It's very difficult for a kid to get their degree in 4 years without having to go back for a 5th year or take extensive on line classes during the summer or post playing career to finish up. Mine played baseball and were expected to play summer ball in a college league somewhere else too. It's 24/7 for 52 weeks. It is unbelievably time consuming. If you think playing in college is what you really want to do, all I can say is be prepared for it to consume every aspect of your life for a minimum of four years. For most, it puts them behind in acheiving the important ultimate goal. I am sure others may have an opinion that differs from my assessment, but my personal opinion is that it's just not worth it.
Former Cheerleader Wrote:Lets see. How many thought J. V Vanhoose, Landon Slone would do great things? The only players that I can think of that had gon one to make a name for themselves with basketball from the 15 are John Pelphery and now Elijah Justice in the last 25 years. Statictally the chances of any child unless they are a stand out by their freshman year or so are very slim. Education is where it is. Do not get me wrong tiller is a good player maybe NAIA or Division II. I think an eduation is much more important. I would much rather my child graduate from Paintsville than SCHS. Just look at the scores. All around bad decision.

In 1961 two Johnson Countians were drafted by the NBA. Charlie Osborne a standout a Flat Gap High School and Western Kentucky was the 28th player chosen in the draft while Donnis Butcher a standout for Meade Memorial High School and Pikeville College was the 60th player chosen.

BTW, Charlie currently stands as the second leading scorer in Kentucky High School basketball behind King Kelly Coleman.
Is Russell losing one of its starters to Boyd County?
Bob Seger Wrote:No , I had two sons play, and they both had good experiences,( as far as the athletic part), and they got good grades to go with it. They played on highly successful teams, loved their coaches and from what their coaches tell me, they the same. That's not where I am coming from. It's just that the time demands are so great on a student athlete it is very hard to place total emphasis on what you are going to school for to begin with. It's very difficult for a kid to get their degree in 4 years without having to go back for a 5th year or take extensive on line classes during the summer or post playing career to finish up. Mine played baseball and were expected to play summer ball in a college league somewhere else too. It's 24/7 for 52 weeks. It is unbelievably time consuming. If you think playing in college is what you really want to do, all I can say is be prepared for it to consume every aspect of your life for a minimum of four years. For most, it puts them behind in acheiving the important ultimate goal. I am sure others may have an opinion that differs from my assessment, but my personal opinion is that it's just not worth it.

You hit a grand slam with this one Bob. People who think college athletics are glamerous haven't had a son play or are really close with a kid that has played on this level. A kid that plays sports at the college level has very little social life. All the coaches want you to do is play or work on your game year round.
American Dream Wrote:Is Russell losing one of its starters to Boyd County?

That's what I've heard. And, IMO, he was their best player from last year.
LClion4life Wrote:That's what I've heard. And, IMO, he was their best player from last year.

Huh? Quit teasing- tell us who it is.:igiveup:
Austin Hunt. All reports are that he's done with Russell and it was between Boyd County and Lewis County on where he'd go. I heard that he's already enrolled at Boyd. And this is from somebody VERY close to the Russell basketball program.
Does anybody know who they two boys from Johnson Central are that will be playing with Shelby Valley over the summer ball?
I say again are they making million playing basketball. Could they not have got to where they are today on the academic track. All I am saying is why push you child to think they are going to make a living playing basketball. Most of the parent I have come into contact with think their child will make it in Division 1A or the NBA Get real people. Statically this will not happen. A small scholarship if you are lucky.

IT IS HIGH SCHOOL BALL PEOPLE
My point. You have to look is this really worth it. To some yes it is, but to most it is not. Most of these boys can get an academic scholarship and have a life as well. However if this is what you want then go for it. But as for me, and again this is me. If I am not going to have millions when it is over I would rather have a life.
i agree with your post former cheerleader. highschool ball indeed, but sometimes athletes can take it that they were just a HS stud rather than a D1 star. however great point on the the life over ball unless you were making millions, totally agree.
so has anyone heard anymore news on tiller and hall on where they going or are they gonna stay where they are?
from what I have heard there is a for sale sign in the Tiller's yard and he is going to Trinity where he won't start next year because they will be loaded. Have heard nothing on Hall.
I heard that if Hatcher leaves PCC that a few of them boys might leave if they don't make a good hire. Just a rumor that I was told.
I have heard that the new consolidated Mingo County High School is trying to get Hatcher
Jed Clampett Wrote:I have heard that the new consolidated Mingo County High School is trying to get Hatcher

Mingo Central hired Dewayne Estepp 1-2 months ago.
NEXT Wrote:Mingo Central hired Dewayne Estepp 1-2 months ago.

The Mingo County Central Miners have hired coaches for the upcoming seasons.
A new face to the Mingo area is head basketball and softball coach Duane Estep. Estep was the former coach at Guyan Valley High School. Assisting Estep in basketball is former head coach at Matewan High Phillip Mitchell.
What schools consolidated for that school? Also heard that Wise Co schools was consolidated. Might consider some coaches over here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Dashiprock Wrote:heard today from a good source that both were going to SC.

Seems awful "funny" people would want to go to Sheldon Clark for BASKETBALL. Appears to be a snake in the grass. Is Coach Hager the Basketball Coach also? :please:
WALL2WALL Wrote:I heard that if Hatcher leaves PCC that a few of them boys might leave if they don't make a good hire. Just a rumor that I was told.

Have heard he has been on the phone a lot trying to get a couple of different jobs that are opened or will be opening. I'm sure Christian County is one that is high on his list.
I seriously doubt Hatcher going to Christian County. To many Gangstas there for him.
OffTheHook Wrote:Yeah...the KHSAA will ok that move...:eyeroll:. OH wait, they did ok the Devon Adams move a few years ago didn't they. Never mind.
Should raise a few eye brows though by them leaving two of the BETTER Academic Schools in EKY to go to SCHS.....Sure NOT a Sport related move there is it...:please:. HECK might as well give Mike Terry a call at Fairview as well. If you're gonna recruit...GO BIG!

If they are real serious and want to go to the next level....Go towards Lexington and stay out the 15th.

I personally am tired of hearing this crap. NOT one of these boys are gonna make a living playing Basketball. Plain and simple. BUT, BOTH could stay right were they are, get a good education, get a basketball scholarship and end up two successful young men.

Yes we daddys love our sons. But, a lot need to take the blinders off and deal with the truth that is right in front of us.

I love Tiller and his family. I want him to stay at Paintsville and so does his team mates. But, if he goes...he goes. Life will go on and the ones that stay will get a top notch eduction and still play the game they love, for the team and school they love.
:Thumbs:
Former Cheerleader Wrote:My point. You have to look is this really worth it. To some yes it is, but to most it is not. Most of these boys can get an academic scholarship and have a life as well. However if this is what you want then go for it. But as for me, and again this is me. If I am not going to have millions when it is over I would rather have a life.
JR broke just about every record Marshall had, while he was there. If I'm not mistaken, he is in the Marshall Hall of Fame, and used his education to become a teacher and a coach, plus play semi pro on the side. Making "millions" is not what it's all about. As for a life, I'd say JR is doing very well. He has a nice family, and is doing very well in life, teaching kids on the court, and in the classroom. So, after one year, getting mediocre time at UofL, you think EJ has already made a name for himself? Where do you live in "the valley"?
TheRealVille Wrote:JR broke just about every record Marshall had, while he was there. If I'm not mistaken, he is in the Marshall Hall of Fame, and used his education to become a teacher and a coach, plus play semi pro on the side. Making "millions" is not what it's all about. As for a life, I'd say JR is doing very well. He has a nice family, and is doing very well in life, teaching kids on the court, and in the classroom. So, after one year, getting mediocre time at UofL, you think EJ has already made a name for himself? Where do you live in "the valley"?

That's what I was thinking.
OffTheHook Wrote:Yeah...the KHSAA will ok that move...:eyeroll:. OH wait, they did ok the Devon Adams move a few years ago didn't they. Never mind.
Should raise a few eye brows though by them leaving two of the BETTER Academic Schools in EKY to go to SCHS.....Sure NOT a Sport related move there is it...:please:. HECK might as well give Mike Terry a call at Fairview as well. If you're gonna recruit...GO BIG!

If they are real serious and want to go to the next level....Go towards Lexington and stay out the 15th.

I personally am tired of hearing this crap. NOT one of these boys are gonna make a living playing Basketball. Plain and simple. BUT, BOTH could stay right were they are, get a good education, get a basketball scholarship and end up two successful young men.

Yes we daddys love our sons. But, a lot need to take the blinders off and deal with the truth that is right in front of us.

I love Tiller and his family. I want him to stay at Paintsville and so does his team mates. But, if he goes...he goes. Life will go on and the ones that stay will get a top notch eduction and still play the game they love, for the team and school they love.

LClion4life Wrote:How do you know they won't make a living playing basketball? That's a pretty narrow-minded statement considering that their bodies still have maturing to do. You never can tell. Maybe both of them play college ball and find a spot overseas on a team. You just never know on that. Both have good potential and will probably be two of the best players in the 15th next year.

Originally Posted by TheRealVille [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima...ewpost.gif] JR broke just about every record Marshall had, while he was there. If I'm not mistaken, he is in the Marshall Hall of Fame, and used his education to become a teacher and a coach, plus play semi pro on the side. Making "millions" is not what it's all about. As for a life, I'd say JR is doing very well. He has a nice family, and is doing very well in life, teaching kids on the court, and in the classroom. So, after one year, getting mediocre time at UofL, you think EJ has already made a name for himself? Where do you live in "the valley"?

LClion4life Wrote:That's what I was thinking.

Funny how I say the same thing and I'm "Narrow Minded".

Thank You for solidifying my first impression of you.....Clueless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis