Poll: Who ya got
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Prestonsburg
22.73%
Belfry
77.27%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Prestonsburg 9/9
This is going to be a huge game! Can't wait. Might make the trip to see it.
Pburg is a lot better than all of the pirate and other teams fans might think.
7 either way
Matman Wrote:If Pburg's passing game is on then they will win this one. Their timing was off against LC so they relied more on the run. I think against Belfry they are going to have to get into the endzone quick and not let Belfry slow this game down. I also think Grant Anderson's ability and speed will give them the edge to break open some big plays and do just that. Belfry seems to have 4 go to guys to score which is dangerous. However Prestonsburg can easily spread the ball around to 3 or 4 really good weapons. This might be one of the top games in the state this week.

Belfry seems to have 4 go to guys to score which is dangerous, i liked what i saw in the HC, they need to keep that up,Blackcats should be favored since they won the last 2 and at home, and with a very good team this year,but the streak stops at 2,should be a gd one.
Belfry in a very close one. Probably with a late score.

Belfry-28
Prestonsburg-20
Prestonsburg - 34

Belfry-28
This should be a good one but belfry is a little to strong this year.
Belfry 30

Prestonsburge 21
Ok guys some of you arent using youre heads here. No disrespect to P-burg they are a fine team and will make some noise in 2a like they always do. But Belfry goes into Henry Clay last weekend and beats them by 2 tds at their place. I dont care how bad the 6a school is. Anytime a school half their size goes into their house and beats them handily like Belfry did. Thats saying something. I dont even see the game as being close. Belfry 42-14. I hope Im wrong and its a good game.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Ok guys some of you arent using youre heads here. No disrespect to P-burg they are a fine team and will make some noise in 2a like they always do. But Belfry goes into Henry Clay last weekend and beats them by 2 tds at their place. I dont care how bad the 6a school is. Anytime a school half their size goes into their house and beats them handily like Belfry did. Thats saying something. I dont even see the game as being close. Belfry 42-14. I hope Im wrong and its a good game.

You make an extremely good point in your analysis; I do, however, think the score will be somewhat closer. And here are my reasons: The game is at Prestonsburg, they usually seem to be up for Belfry, they are well coached, and if they can put a whole game together, it could be close.
Belfry Insider Wrote:Pburg is a lot better than all of the pirate and other teams fans might think.
7 either way

I will agree with Insider this is going to be a barn burner you
need to watch this one.
Pburg 27
Belfry 22
To close to call, buckle-up pirates, may be in for a bumpy ride.TongueirateSho
i have all the respect in the world for p-burg. there is not a team i have pulled for more, and i know they should never be overlooked. but this pirate squad is too much, if both teams bring their best, belfry by three scores.
belfry-35
pburg-14
Belfry 21-7.
Belfry
Belfry has too much speed and size for Pburg this year. If Jamerson is back, they make it competitive, otherwise, this one is likely over (for all intents) by the end of the 3rd qtr.
It seems Pikeville fans have more confidence in Belfry in this matchup then some of us Pirate fans do Big Grin

I see Tony Messer as the X-Factor in this game. History tells us that you can expect 3 things from Pburg:

1. The Jet Sweep
2. Short timing routes and screens designed to allow their playmaking WR's to make a pay in space.
3. A lot of guys in the box and organized chaos in the power holes daring Belfry to pass.

Messer could play a role in all three of these. The Belfry DE's will be tested all night with their ability to string out the outside runs and to pursue on the quick passes. On offense Messer will see single coverage and will have a height advantage no matter who Pburg assigns to him, if he can go up and get a couple passes it will make the Blackcats defense think twice before they sell out to try and disrupt Belfry behind the LOS. Messer will also be significant in sealing the edge to open up Williams keeping the ball when the defense collapses in the middle.

The Henry Clay game was the prime example of Good Belfry vs. Bad Belfry. The Good Belfry held on to the football, did not shoot themselves with penalties, and made great offensive reads, and played an aggressive attacking defense. The Good Belfry was literally unstoppable against superior athletes, size, and speed...the Good Belfry was impossible to move the ball against defensively.The Bad Belfry shot themselves in the foot and as a result was pinned into 3rd and Longs where they became all too predictable, the Bad Belfry was reactive on defense and looked into the backfield flat footed and were too late to react and saw the RB take off for a long TD.

Pburg has taken the fight to Belfry the past two years on both sides of the ball. The Pirates not only could not match their intensity, but they also committed numerous mental errors (delay of game, poor clock management, unforced turnovers at the snap, false starts) which consistently halted their drives and left them in 3rd and Long. Defensively Belfry blew assignments and coverages, and missed tackles on the outside runs that allowed Pburg to continue drives.

If the same Belfry team who locks up when Pburg punches the in the mouth shows up, the same team who fell into a spiral against Lou. Central:
Pburg 20-7

If the Belfry team who we basically saw mature in the playoffs against Mason County and Somerset, and then attacked Henry Clay shows up:
Belfry 28-14

I think it falls somewhere between, Belfry 20-14
Game of the week. Belfry 17-6
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It seems Pikeville fans have more confidence in Belfry in this matchup then some of us Pirate fans do Big Grin

I see Tony Messer as the X-Factor in this game. History tells us that you can expect 3 things from Pburg:

1. The Jet Sweep
2. Short timing routes and screens designed to allow their playmaking WR's to make a pay in space.
3. A lot of guys in the box and organized chaos in the power holes daring Belfry to pass.

Messer could play a role in all three of these. The Belfry DE's will be tested all night with their ability to string out the outside runs and to pursue on the quick passes. On offense Messer will see single coverage and will have a height advantage no matter who Pburg assigns to him, if he can go up and get a couple passes it will make the Blackcats defense think twice before they sell out to try and disrupt Belfry behind the LOS. Messer will also be significant in sealing the edge to open up Williams keeping the ball when the defense collapses in the middle.

The Henry Clay game was the prime example of Good Belfry vs. Bad Belfry. The Good Belfry held on to the football, did not shoot themselves with penalties, and made great offensive reads, and played an aggressive attacking defense. The Good Belfry was literally unstoppable against superior athletes, size, and speed...the Good Belfry was impossible to move the ball against defensively.The Bad Belfry shot themselves in the foot and as a result was pinned into 3rd and Longs where they became all too predictable, the Bad Belfry was reactive on defense and looked into the backfield flat footed and were too late to react and saw the RB take off for a long TD.

Pburg has taken the fight to Belfry the past two years on both sides of the ball. The Pirates not only could not match their intensity, but they also committed numerous mental errors (delay of game, poor clock management, unforced turnovers at the snap, false starts) which consistently halted their drives and left them in 3rd and Long. Defensively Belfry blew assignments and coverages, and missed tackles on the outside runs that allowed Pburg to continue drives.

If the same Belfry team who locks up when Pburg punches the in the mouth shows up, the same team who fell into a spiral against Lou. Central:
Pburg 20-7

If the Belfry team who we basically saw mature in the playoffs against Mason County and Somerset, and then attacked Henry Clay shows up:
Belfry 28-14

I think it falls somewhere between, Belfry 20-14

Agreed.

Prestonsburg wants to do what they've done against Belfry the past two seasons and that's jump out to an early lead and make Belfry play catch-up.

If Belfry is able to control the LOS then Prestonsburg is in trouble and this could either be a shootout or Belfry wins this one by 2-3 touchdowns. It's important that Prestonsburg is able to stop the belly dives early and make Belfry beat them around the tackles or make them pass.

Prestonsburg X-factor is Grant Anderson. He's probably the fastest player Prestonsburg has and he is certainly the most elusive and hard to tackle with his small stature. Kind of reminds me of Jordan Amis who played at Perry Central. I'd like to see Prestonsburg use more of Jarred Jarrell in this game, as he's shown he can make the plays. Keep Wes Robinson fresh for defense, as he's one of our better tacklers.
My heart and allegiance will always be with Prestonsburg, but my head says Pirates by 2 scores in this one. Muddy, nasty field seems to always be an advantage to a running team.
blackcatnashland Wrote:My heart and allegiance will always be with Prestonsburg, but my head says Pirates by 2 scores in this one. Muddy, nasty field seems to always be an advantage to a running team.

This usually favors the running team, however Prestonsburg will be practicing on the wet/muddy field all week while Belfry will be practicing on the wet turf.
blackcatnashland Wrote:My heart and allegiance will always be with Prestonsburg, but my head says Pirates by 2 scores in this one. Muddy, nasty field seems to always be an advantage to a running team.
you forget belfry is a turf team now the mud will slow them down way more than people think.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:This usually favors the running team, however Prestonsburg will be practicing on the wet/muddy field all week while Belfry will be practicing on the wet turf.

Oh but your wrong BlackcatAlum..... the Pirates will be practicing on grass..... NOT turf this week. I promise ya! Smile They practice on what they play on.... that's how they roll!!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:This usually favors the running team, however Prestonsburg will be practicing on the wet/muddy field all week while Belfry will be practicing on the wet turf.

Valid point.
theres nothing like the sand pit lol
Unregistered Wrote:Oh but your wrong BlackcatAlum..... the Pirates will be practicing on grass..... NOT turf this week. I promise ya! Smile They practice on what they play on.... that's how they roll!!

We don't have grass, LOL... we have sand.

Should be a great game!
Belfry...
Belfry..There is another factor the pirates have more experience now then they have had in a few year. Big difference.
you will be surprised