Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pulaski 36 - Farnsley 6
RoShamBo Wrote:It CAN make a difference, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will. When I was in 7th grade Corbin came here to Somerset and we beat them something like 28-0. The next year as an 8th grader we went over to Corbin and Corbin's best player from the year before didn't even get to see the field on the 8th grade team because of all of their holdbacks, we lost by 6 or 7 something like 34-28. Flash forward to my senior year of high school, we have a great season making it to the state semifinals and Corbin is mediocre at best and finishes with a losing record. Rockcastle was the same way, destroyed us in middle school, but by the time we were seniors we were basically on the same level. And this is still the case today. We have a 16 year old junior who won't turn 18 until a few months after graduation, and he is one of the best defensive players in the county. We have several sophomores that are the same way. Storm Wilson was arguably the best player in the county when he was a sophomore. Hell almost all of Trinity's athletes are sophomores and juniors.

So while I don't disagree that there have been 19 year olds on state championship high school teams, they didn't win because they had 19 year olds. They won because they worked harder than everyone else up to that point and they had great coaches to aid in their development. Like I said before, there is little difference between a 19 year old and 17 or 18 year old.
I disagree there is a huge difference in a 17 year old and a 19 year old, especially if the 19 year old has talent.
please pay attention to the college sports reporters and see what a big deal they make over the (rare true 18yr old freshman ballplayer in any sport}most freshman playing college sports at any level are about to turn 19 or already 19 when they enter college,,,john wall. derrick cousins,danny trevathan just to name a few....the truth is that colleges look for the best athlete of ANY AGE to fill the roster regardless of age.most college coaches will tell you that a players abilities, his or hers academics and their maturity level all factror into recruitment decisions..this is true from D-1 down to NAIA.also just to add,,,the age of the 8th grade team at northern pulaski averages out to 14yrs 4months....do the math on your teams ....you will find less than a six month difference!!!
Jumper Dad Wrote:Hold backs or not there is an age limit for all participants.

I know one 8th grader that had to stop playing a week or two ago due to having a birthday.

As far as Whitley never holding back kids....is that something new? I remember watching them play 5 or 6 years ago and half of the 8th graders it seemed have full growth on their beards... a parent told me that at least a couple of those kids wouldn't be able to play their senior season due to being too old if they kept playing ball.

Thats pure B.S.
Holdbacks at Whitley arent really allowed anymore when its clearly for sports.
I know there was a kid that graduated in 06 that couldnt play his senior year because he was over 19 before Aug. 1st which is against the rules.

Also, Whitley doesnt have one single kid thats been held back for football.
Look at Whitley's starting QB in high school right now.
He actually stated school young and should be in 8th grade however hes a freshman. So we pretty much have and 8th grader as a starting qb on the high school team.
barrel Wrote:Why is this? Either the player legal age wise or he isn't. I can think of no reason as far as age goes that having a birthday would prevent a player from finishing the season.

You cant play high school football if you turn 19 before Aug 1st of your senior year.
This is why its stupid to hold kids back no matter the reason because if they do end up failing another grade or gets hurt, than they will lose there senior year.

As for the poster who was talking about whitley, I know Meece has had kids that looked like a high school team playing for them over the past 10 years.
I remember watching Whitley play them in 01 or 02 and there was no way those kids were in middle school.
It could have been that they had the freshman team play or whatever, but in the end it doesnt matter to me. Its high school that it has to translate to and either you got the atletes or you dont, its that simple on the high school level, and middle school is just a stepping stone.
holdbacks.. for any reason.. be it for academics or because parents want them too for some personal reason.. should be athletically ineligible for the next school year. if they couldnt cut it in class, why should they be able to play sports?
Rudedawg Wrote:holdbacks.. for any reason.. be it for academics or because parents want them too for some personal reason.. should be athletically ineligible for the next school year. if they couldnt cut it in class, why should they be able to play sports?

So, if I hold my child back in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th grade, what do you do? OR, if I start my child a year later, what do you do? Draw a number between 7and 8, and that's the season the child sits?
holdem back Wrote:for all you of you that don't believe in hold backs i feel sorry for you. Get with the program look at the kmsfa finals. Hold backs will dominate this show. I love the physical domination. So here's your crying towel and see quit crying . My son will be 20 as a division 1 freshman in college and yours will be a team manager.
you must be joking well with that attidude for your child i guess a little hgh might get you where you wanna go where does it stop!
holdem back Wrote:for all you of you that don't believe in hold backs i feel sorry for you. Get with the program look at the kmsfa finals. Hold backs will dominate this show. I love the physical domination. So here's your crying towel and see quit crying . My son will be 20 as a division 1 freshman in college and yours will be a team manager.
by the time he is a freshman in college he will just be another player every one else will catch up to him and all he will know how to do is look for loop holes in the rule book the intent of the rule is not to give kids a redshirt year. The intent is to not leave someone with a learning disability behind.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You cant play high school football if you turn 19 before Aug 1st of your senior year.
This is why its stupid to hold kids back no matter the reason because if they do end up failing another grade or gets hurt, than they will lose there senior year.

As for the poster who was talking about whitley, I know Meece has had kids that looked like a high school team playing for them over the past 10 years.
I remember watching Whitley play them in 01 or 02 and there was no way those kids were in middle school.
It could have been that they had the freshman team play or whatever, but in the end it doesnt matter to me. Its high school that it has to translate to and either you got the atletes or you dont, its that simple on the high school level, and middle school is just a stepping stone.

I played on the '01 8th grade team at Meece and we had one player who was held back due to grades, not for football. I also assume that I was probably one of the kids you would have thought should have been in high school because I was 6 feet tall in 8th grade, but I was actually young for my grade and didn't turn 18 until January of my senior year. There was one player from that team that turned 19 his senior year of high school, and it was well into the school year. The next year in '02 was the first year at Meece that you were allowed to hold back and still play sports the next year. We had three players that did so and only one of them turned 19 their senior year of high school. Not saying that Meece hasn't had hold backs over the years, but those two teams were not built on hold backs, nor was the '03 8th grade team. That was just a talent rich couple of years for Meece, don't forget the seniors from those 8th grade teams won region titles in '05 and '06 and lost to Belfry in the region finals in '07.

Like I said before I have absolutely no problem with hold backs. Just pointing out that those Meece teams were definitely not filled with hold backs.
Truly I hear you Farnsley guys. If you all would have been smarter last yrs team could have kick the spit out of this yrs pulaski team . But until Jefferson county allows hold backs or kmsfa does something about it prepare to lose every yr to us .
Truly I hear you Farnsley guys. If you all would have been smarter last yrs team could have kick the spit out of this yrs pulaski team . But until Jefferson county allows hold backs or kmsfa does something about it prepare to lose every yr to us .
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats pure B.S.
Holdbacks at Whitley arent really allowed anymore when its clearly for sports.
I know there was a kid that graduated in 06 that couldnt play his senior year because he was over 19 before Aug. 1st which is against the rules.

Also, Whitley doesnt have one single kid thats been held back for football.
Look at Whitley's starting QB in high school right now.
He actually stated school young and should be in 8th grade however hes a freshman. So we pretty much have and 8th grader as a starting qb on the high school team.

Whitleys QB was held back in 6th grade and will be 16 before Aug. 1 so he couldnt be an 8th grader.
Gotta say amen to that one. North Pulaski had a player get in the truck and drive off after our game. Our 13-14 year olds can't drive yet.
Holding kids back may be legal but it's still a bit unfair to kids who are the appropriate age for a middle school team. My son said it's one thing to lose to a better team, but it's another to lose to a team with kids who should be on the high school team.
If its legal, then why bitch? I dont have a kid, nor do I have any ties to Pulaski County but If I were a parent I would rather have my child enter College at 19 rather than 17....just saying. And my little brother was held-back 2 times, He will be able to play football his senior year. if he ends up going to college on a scolarship whether it being academic or atheletic I think that holding him back helped. And if he goes straight in to the workforce as a young adult he will be able to get a good enough job to make it with out waiting a year or so to be old enough. I say hold your kids back as long as you can. As long as it is legal. I wish I had been heldback, I wouldnt have made some of the bad decisions that I made after graduation if I would have had another year to mature. Congrats to North Pulaski. People can cry all they want but nobody cheated because it was all legal.
Come check out Northern Pulaski's offseason workouts. Our boys are running hills, sprint, doing agilities, & hitting the weight room until they physically or mentally can't do anymore because, "no one will beat them." Yours are playing x-box. You saw the results. Come see the work before you judge. There is NO TEAM who worked harder than Northern. Guaranteed. Blame hold backs all you want. It's not an unfair advantage when it is open for any school to do it. You don't see Whitley's 8th or Johnson's 7th whining about it. It would be the same excuses had they won. Keep your head up Pulaski schools (Northern & Southern). Excuses by losing teams will always follow your success.

And for the record, no players on this team can drive, or have DUI's for that matter LOL (like some of the other ignorant excuses I've heard this season). It's simple, you lost, get over it. Work harder and get better is about all the advice I can give you.
They may not have any dui's but the one i talked with had 2 jobs, a mortage, and some kinda baby mama drama going on. Hold back parents all you are telling me is your child can not compete with kids there own age. Well maybe they could "compete" i forget it is "domination" you are looking for
^I don't have a problem with it, but it isn't open for any school to do it.
RoShamBo Wrote:^I don't have a problem with it, but it isn't open for any school to do it.

Yes. It is open for any school to do it. If a school (site base council, conference, etc.) chooses not to, that's on them. The middle schools/conferences that don't allow it, they do it prior to the middle school level anyway, so it still occurs. In my opinion, not letting a kid play for a season because of that is what is truly holding kids back. Guys, there is no difference in holding back in 7th grade compared to 5th grade or even starting a kid in kindergarten a year later rather than earlier. They develop the same over the course of time. It is what it is. I suggest teams either deal with it or find another school/conference to play for.
Wildcat18 Wrote:Yes. It is open for any school to do it. If a school (site base council, conference, etc.) chooses not to, that's on them. The middle schools/conferences that don't allow it, they do it prior to the middle school level anyway, so it still occurs. In my opinion, not letting a kid play for a season because of that is what is truly holding kids back. Guys, there is no difference in holding back in 7th grade compared to 5th grade or even starting a kid in kindergarten a year later rather than earlier. They develop the same over the course of time. It is what it is. I suggest teams either deal with it or find another school/conference to play for.

You're absolutely right I should have rephrased, my fault. What I meant was, not all schools/districts allow it to happen. And what I was referring to was schools that allow kids to hold back in the 7th or 8th grade and still play football the next year, not just holding back in general. Like I have said on basically every post in this and the Southern thread, I am in no way against holding kids back and have encouraged kids to do it in the Somerset system in the past (the 2009 8th grade state champs had a few).
RoShamBo Wrote:You're absolutely right I should have rephrased, my fault. What I meant was, not all schools/districts allow it to happen. And what I was referring to was schools that allow kids to hold back in the 7th or 8th grade and still play football the next year, not just holding back in general. Like I have said on basically every post in this and the Southern thread, I am in no way against holding kids back and have encouraged it for kids in the Somerset system in the past (the 2009 8th grade state champs had a few).

That's understandable and you're also correct. What aggravates me is the fact that most people new to middle school football think this is unheard of outside of their area. It's not. This happens everywhere and it has been for a long time. At this level, you will be left behind if it's not allowed. However, the majority of hold backs in this area that I've seen are prior to the middle school level anyway. If anyone has a problem with the rules that overrides the simple rules for the KMSFA, I urge you to propose these things to your conference/school officials. These rules are applied at only a hand full of schools and they are only in mind to benefit the school, not the kid. The KMSFA does things the right way as far as their rules go. You get excuses like this everytime a champions are crowned. Just the way it goes.
nm
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:They may not have any dui's but the one i talked with had 2 jobs, a mortage, and some kinda baby mama drama going on. Hold back parents all you are telling me is your child can not compete with kids there own age. Well maybe they could "compete" i forget it is "domination" you are looking for
When you enter college, the job force, or military after high school, do they ask if you were a hold back? Being a veteran myself, I can most certainly tell you there is a WORLD of difference in a kid graduating at 17 and one graduating at 18 going on 19. Life is competition! What's wrong with giving a child every opportunity to succeed? Whether it is in the classroom, on the football field, in the job force, or even the military, give them EVERY opportunity to be better. Another year of maturity does just that. I have asked this many, many times and have not received an answer: What's the difference in an 18 year old Senior who started school late and an 18 year old Senior who was held back? Even though the kid is not a "hold back" but has a good birthday, and is older than others in his class, does it make a difference? OR, what if I hold my child back in kindergarten or 1st, 2nd grade? Would all these complainers be on here, well, complaining so much?
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:They may not have any dui's but the one i talked with had 2 jobs, a mortage, and some kinda baby mama drama going on. Hold back parents all you are telling me is your child can not compete with kids there own age. Well maybe they could "compete" i forget it is "domination" you are looking for

LOL. If that's all that you're getting out of this conversation, then you're in a small box that you'll never get out of. Open up your mind a little wider than the 2 or 3 years a kid will be playing middle school football. Check out the big picture. There's a lot more out there.
How many middle schools are there in poulaski county?
From what I have seen all year N.Pulaski beat everybody that they faced on the field. Did they have holdbacks? Yes. Does it seem unfair? Yes. Me personally I think a few teams played them as tough as they could. The only thing I ever wondered was how is their high school doing since they are this good in middle school? I found out that they are a 3-7 team that is currently ranked 120 in the state of KY. Wow! 3-7, really? And the schedule wasn't even tough. So thats why middle school matters so much to you guys, because its the end of the road for winning. LOL
BM82 Wrote:From what I have seen all year N.Pulaski beat everybody that they faced on the field. Did they have holdbacks? Yes. Does it seem unfair? Yes. Me personally I think a few teams played them as tough as they could. The only thing I ever wondered was how is their high school doing since they are this good in middle school? I found out that they are a 3-7 team that is currently ranked 120 in the state of KY. Wow! 3-7, really? And the schedule wasn't even tough. So thats why middle school matters so much to you guys, because its the end of the road for winning. LOL

LOL. Ladies & Gentlemen, Lexington Catholic has made an appearance. Good to see you again. It's been what, exactly 2 months since you've been back around on here? That's ironic considering the 60-6 whippin you took on September 1st. You know that little puppy dog that keeps trying to bite your leg, you keep kicking it off, but it keeps coming back and barking some more? That's you brother. Give it a rest dude, season's over, relax a little.

But yeah, to your credit, a few teams did play us tough. We respect those guys. They didn't talk, they just played. Farnsley has a heck of a team. They'll be a force for years to come, considering they're only in their first few years. I expect them to be elite year in and year out. JCTMS played us really well considering the circumstances with the weather. Bowling Green did a good job against us also. I'm not taking anything away from anyone, it was a VERY hard road this season.

On an even more serious note, I would like to thank all of the Lex Cath volunteers for their efforts during the Final 4. I'm not going to let a few rotten eggs ruin it for the rest of them. We really appreciated the hospitality while we were there.
DOUGHDADDY Wrote:How many middle schools are there in poulaski county?

Four. Southern, Northern, Meece, and then Science Hill Independent has K-8 and I believe they still play football?
Wildcat18 Wrote:LOL. Ladies & Gentlemen, Lexington Catholic has made an appearance. Good to see you again. It's been what, exactly 2 months since you've been back around on here? That's ironic considering the 60-6 whippin you took on September 1st. You know that little puppy dog that keeps trying to bite your leg, you keep kicking it off, but it keeps coming back and barking some more? That's you brother. Give it a rest dude, season's over, relax a little.

But yeah, to your credit, a few teams did play us tough. We respect those guys. They didn't talk, they just played. Farnsley has a heck of a team. They'll be a force for years to come, considering they're only in their first few years. I expect them to be elite year in and year out. JCTMS played us really well considering the circumstances with the weather. Bowling Green did a good job against us also. I'm not taking anything away from anyone, it was a VERY hard road this season.

On an even more serious note, I would like to thank all of the Lex Cath volunteers for their efforts during the Final 4. I'm not going to let a few rotten eggs ruin it for the rest of them. We really appreciated the hospitality while we were there.

The only funny thing is you did not say a thing about the high school's success or lack of success. On a middle school level your best players are 3 years older than ours. You should have won 60-0 right?
Answer this, how do those games go when those kids play people their own age? I will tell 3-7. So enjoy 2011, because the 12 or so wins they got this year will be how many varsity wins they get in four years. LOL at how much pride you have in beating kids that are 2-3 years younger