Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Buchannan
Good Luck!!
mojo40 Wrote:Tate is just 15 right now. There is nothing wrong with being held back if it gives you an edge. I think that more kids should do it. Because look what it has done for the success of JBS they have went from being a pushover 14th region team to the team to beat. And i think that there is no two guards in the 14th that i would rather have on my team than Tate Cox or Clark Stepp!!!!
You gotta be kidding... being a hold back for sports is the most ridiculous thing i hhave ever heard. Academics yes but to get or have an advantage over a younger player.. apparently your a hold back and could not compete with kids your own age.. wow i guess that makes you a better player huh. They best way to get better my friend is to play people better than you. Oh yeah i forgot you couldn't even play with kids your own age. Oh well hold backs due to sports should be out lawed. Just my opinion.
and you must be a nut!:popcorn:
these kids are playing high school against 19 year old players. I think that makes them playing against older kids.
3 points Wrote:Nope, I don't get your drift. Tell me.
Here is my drift since you are a little slow!!
There is no way that Tate Cox and his AAU all-star team could play together in a "regular" high school setting. It just doesn't work out that way. In the summer they have fun, travel, and play in all of their "fun" tournaments. If they were all on the same HS team there would be many, many problems. There would not be enough balls to go around. Here is an example...the 6'8" Collins kid, that has played with the E. KY Lightning AAU team for several years just left June Buchanon and enrolled at Knott Co. Why do you think he left JB???? It doesn't take a genious to figure it out. He isn't getting the ball because the team at JB is built around the perimeter game of Cox and Stepp. AAU teams are usually a real life "fantasy team" that could never make it in a regular high school setting!!! Now do you get my drift???????? That is why OJ Mayo doesn't play with the D1 Greyhounds year around. Way too many super-stars on one team to keep everyone happy in a "real game" setting!!
bball fan Wrote:Here is my drift since you are a little slow!!
There is no way that Tate Cox and his AAU all-star team could play together in a "regular" high school setting. It just doesn't work out that way. In the summer they have fun, travel, and play in all of their "fun" tournaments. If they were all on the same HS team there would be many, many problems. There would not be enough balls to go around. Here is an example...the 6'8" Collins kid, that has played with the E. KY Lightning AAU team for several years just left June Buchanon and enrolled at Knott Co. Why do you think he left JB???? It doesn't take a genious to figure it out. He isn't getting the ball because the team at JB is built around the perimeter game of Cox and Stepp. AAU teams are usually a real life "fantasy team" that could never make it in a regular high school setting!!! Now do you get my drift???????? That is why OJ Mayo doesn't play with the D1 Greyhounds year around. Way too many super-stars on one team to keep everyone happy in a "real game" setting!!
Sorry, but the Collins kid did not leave JBS. He broke his leg last Feb. and is just now playing ball again, and is playing this summer for EKL. He will be playing for JBS this season. The kids that play for EKL just need one ball. They play very good team ball. They have played together for 4 years and never had a problem.
bball fan Wrote:Here is my drift since you are a little slow!!
You need to check your info before you tell us the drift. EKL is not a team of All Stars, they are a Team.
free throw Wrote:You need to check your info before you tell us the drift. EKL is not a team of All Stars, they are a Team.
No, you need to check your info!!! Isn't this their roster?? I know for sure it was last year! Looks like an all-star team to me!!

Cox-JB
Collins-KCC?
Newsome-SV
Newsome-SV
Justice-SV
McAnallen-Pikeville
New big man- Middlesboro?
bball fan Wrote:No, you need to check your info!!! Isn't this their roster?? I know for sure it was last year! Looks like an all-star team to me!!

Cox-JB
Collins-KCC?
Newsome-SV
Newsome-SV
Justice-SV
McAnallen-Pikeville
New big man- Middlesboro?
Cox is from JBS, Collins is from JBS, Taylor Newsome is from Virgie Middle School, Tyler Newsome is from Virgie Middle School, Justice is from Dorton but plays for SV too. Logan Bryant is from SV, Ashley Hatfield is from Virgie middle school. Cody Miller is from Knox Co. but he was injured and didn't get to play much. They are good players, but they play together as a team. I never said they weren't good, they would make a heck of a high school team. I don't think it will happen but it is a thought.
I thought this was a JBS thread. Lets get back on the topic. Nobody is going to move from where they are.
Well there is no doubt that the JBS players are good, but they didn't get out of the region last year. I guess time will tell if they can do it this year. As for hold backs, who cares? A kid can still just play for so long. If that is what a school and a kid and his parents want, then go for it. It happens everywhere at some time or another.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Well there is no doubt that the JBS players are good, but they didn't get out of the region last year. I guess time will tell if they can do it this year. As for hold backs, who cares? A kid can still just play for so long. If that is what a school and a kid and his parents want, then go for it. It happens everywhere at some time or another.
There was a good possibility if the 6'8 Collins hadn't ended the 2005-06 season early with an injury that JBS would have made it to Rupp. They almost did it without him.
golfman42 Wrote:The kid is 16

The kid is not 16. he is 15 years old, he did get held back but what does it matter? who hasnt been held back? he is a great young basketball player. if you can find a 15 year old in the state better than Cox ill be in shock.
BLUEGRASS-RULES Wrote:You gotta be kidding... being a hold back for sports is the most ridiculous thing i hhave ever heard. Academics yes but to get or have an advantage over a younger player.. apparently your a hold back and could not compete with kids your own age.. wow i guess that makes you a better player huh. They best way to get better my friend is to play people better than you. Oh yeah i forgot you couldn't even play with kids your own age. Oh well hold backs due to sports should be out lawed. Just my opinion.
Sometimes it is in the best intrest of the kid to hold him back a year, especially if his/her age is a year younger than his/her classmates. A year can make a big difference as far as growth, strength, maturity and such and could be the difference between a scholorship and having to pay a whole lot of money to attend school. I think that being held back just for sports purposes is over-used, but far from ridiculous, but I do respect your view on the subject.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

If Cox and Stepp weren't good, would any one even mention them? There are lots of hold backs besides them.
JBS will be a force in the 14th without a doubt the best returning backcourt in the 14th region, good luck to jbs in the upcoming season
In my opinion JBS is what's wrong with Kentucky High School Basketball. I'm not knocking the kids they are talented and seem to be great young men but I think it's ridiculus to hold kids back when they are smart enough to go on.....I mean geez J.B.S. i s supposed to be an "academic school". I think J.B.S. is better right now then it has ever been or ever will be in the future and holdbacks are rumored to be the reason. I can't help it call me stubborn but I still don't think J.B.S. is what everyone cracks them up to be. When they win a region I'll give them credit....not a moment before before. I think everybody wants to play them because of how hyped they are.
They should all go to another school . Where should they go?? What school would be better?? Do you have any ideas? I know several have been ask to go to other schools but they have all been ball players and you wouldn't want them, messing up your school. I guess we will just have to be what is wrong with every thing and just do our best. Do you know any other schools that have hold backs? I'm sure you don't. Nobody else would do an awful thing like that. Well maybe they might. Ask around and see.
Better to have smart hold backs than dumb ones.
tubthumper Wrote:In my opinion JBS is what's wrong with Kentucky High School Basketball. I'm not knocking the kids they are talented and seem to be great young men but I think it's ridiculus to hold kids back when they are smart enough to go on.....I mean geez J.B.S. i s supposed to be an "academic school". I think J.B.S. is better right now then it has ever been or ever will be in the future and holdbacks are rumored to be the reason. I can't help it call me stubborn but I still don't think J.B.S. is what everyone cracks them up to be. When they win a region I'll give them credit....not a moment before before. I think everybody wants to play them because of how hyped they are.
Redshirts have been fueling basketball powers and wanna-be powers since the '50's. I'm surprised you have only now discovered that. June Buchanan didn't originate the policy of "redshirting" for athletic purposes. Perry Central (M.C. Napier, Dilce Combs), Knott Central (Carr Creek, Knott County, Hindman)l, South Laurel (Hazel Green, Lily, London, Bush), Clay County, and many, many other schools have reaped benifits from this policy for years. Not to single out the schools. Just giving examples. It's a statewide tradition.
I aint saying that other schools don't do it......I'm saying that J.B.S. has been horrible forever...they held some back so that they can finally have a good team.....and that's the facts. Hey I understand people are gonna do what it takes to win. That don't make it right though. That is a statewide tradition that I disagree with. Comparing it too "redshirting in college" is also crazy because red shirting in college is often a last chance, last resort in order to keep a scholarship type deal. High school teams do it for one reason....tohave an advantage. It comes at the expense of the kids. I respect other view points on this but that's my opinion. J.B.S. didn't invent it but they are so utilizing it. I'll give J.B.S. credit when they start hanging banners. I'll root for J.B.S. when a shetland pony wins the derby......it's bad when you're only claim to fame is one good season and Gary Gibson....that says it all. Stepp and Cox are great players but you can't even call JBS a flash in the pan, because they just now got in the pan.
No body is going to miss you cheering for JBS. The boys that stayed back are eligible to play all 4 years of high school. What an attitude against high school boys. That is why they don't play for the county schools and there is not a one of the starters that you wouldn't give your eye teeth to have on your team.
If they are not even a flash in the pan, why are you so worried about them? No body cares if you are against JBS. I'd say YOU are the flash in the pan man. What an attitude to have in high school ball. If all schools do it, why pick on JBS.By the way their are some other schools that haven't won the 14th since '93. .
Gary Gibbson?? He is or was at ALC. He had a good year lasr year , but not at JBS. Should get your facts straight.
JBS will be good this year, I expect them to challange for the 14th region title.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Quote: Gary Gibbson?? He is or was at ALC. He had a good year lasr year , but not at JBS. Should get your facts straight

I think he was meaning that Gibson used to be the coach at June Buchanan before he was hired at Alice Lloyd.
JBS should have a real good team this year....Clark Stepp is one of the best players in that region.
JBS....BLAH BLAH BLAH BALH.......
WIN A REGION.......WE ALL KNOW COX AND STEPP ARE GOOD..........PLEASE LIVE UP TO THE HYPE...BLAH BLAH BLAH..........AAU CHAMPIONSHIPS DON'T COUNT NOW....BLA BLA BLAH
Hazard or Perry Central in the 14th just like always...........wait ans see.
Ervin Stepp was a Mr.Basketball winner...anybody know how far Phelps went when he played there?....that's right not very far........we've seen this movie before....so from this point on I call truce and I will never mention JBS again on this site......If they win the region I'll be the first one on here that gives them credit and eats his words. So feed them to me o great crusaders.......
tubthumper Wrote:JBS....BLAH BLAH BLAH BALH.......
WIN A REGION.......WE ALL KNOW COX AND STEPP ARE GOOD..........PLEASE LIVE UP TO THE HYPE...BLAH BLAH BLAH..........AAU CHAMPIONSHIPS DON'T COUNT NOW....BLA BLA BLAH
Hazard or Perry Central in the 14th just like always...........wait ans see.
Ervin Stepp was a Mr.Basketball winner...anybody know how far Phelps went when he played there?....that's right not very far........we've seen this movie before....so from this point on I call truce and I will never mention JBS again on this site......If they win the region I'll be the first one on here that gives them Oredit and eats his words. So feed them to me o great crusaders.......
Open your big mouth O great one, so you will be ready just in case. If they don't win someone, I am sure would still be willing to feed it to ya.
JBS wouldn't get so much hype if they ever played anybody. The 14th Region in WEAK! When alot of the teams you play consist of The David School, Riverside Christian, The Piarist school, and Onedia Baptist surely your going to rack up the "W's" and the points.