Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knott County Central 94 - Hazard 86 (OT)
Stlcardsfan Wrote:I don't know about how the Mtn Classic will unfold but these two should meet up in All-A for sure but I don't think they are scheduled again are they?

Me and you play one on one.
You wear a Knott jersey, I'll wear a Hazard jersey.
Me by 15 easily.
Ballers Wrote:A neutral court would mean not at Hazard, and not at Knott.
Congrats on making the 14th fans look a lil' dumber today.

Way to be captain obvious. No matter where the game is played its always the refs, what county that court is in blah blah I'm very aware a court belonging to neither team should be considered neutral. Any game comes with excuses. No doubt you'd beat me in a game by 15+ not questioning that at all.
Overall, in the grand scheme of things, this game means very, very little. Except that these two are legit.
Stlcardsfan Wrote:Way to be captain obvious. No matter where the game is played its always the refs, what county that court is in blah blah I'm very aware a court belonging to neither team should be considered neutral. Any game comes with excuses. No doubt you'd beat me in a game by 15+ not questioning that at all.

My point is, refs can be red flagged at a facility.
If BB didn't like certain refs from 14th they wouldnt be there.
I'm telling you as straight foward as I can, lol..
Knott is not on the same level as Hazard this year.
And Justice will not EVER have a 30 point game against Hazard this year.
Nor will Knott win against Hazard again this year..
That including WYMT classic or region, it's not going to happen.

This guy said it first and I will eat crow if for some reason it did happen.
But it isn't.
^ I'm referring to excuses made after the fact, by fans. Not staffs.
It's ok Ballers...

I've talked to hazard coaches and players, they understand it's Dec and they lost to a good team on the road... Learning from it and move on! Not losing sleep over it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Now that's funny someone from Perry County complaining about the officiating.
I do not think kcc can compete in the all a because they are a 3a highschool. I could be wrong but I think they have too many students. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Good win for kcc. Was this game at memorial or in hindman? Either or both gyms are tough environments to get a W. Both gyms hold well over 2000 fans easy. I read there was a dunk also, if anyone has a vid post it.

As far as the fouls, I'm old timey. No blood no foul. Just kidding, seriously though the games I've attended the refs have cracked down and are calling touch fouls. I have also seen a number of double fouls called when players are fighting for position when posting up. These boys are 15-19 years old, they're almost considered adults, let them play. The 14th region is dominant this year. Lots of talent on every team. Congrats to both teams on a hard played game
The Fan Favorite Wrote:I do not think kcc can compete in the all a because they are a 3a highschool. I could be wrong but I think they have too many students. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

Good win for kcc. Was this game at memorial or in hindman? Either or both gyms are tough environments to get a W. Both gyms hold well over 2000 fans easy. I read there was a dunk also, if anyone has a vid post it.

As far as the fouls, I'm old timey. No blood no foul. Just kidding, seriously though the games I've attended the refs have cracked down and are calling touch fouls. I have also seen a number of double fouls called when players are fighting for position when posting up. These boys are 15-19 years old, they're almost considered adults, let them play. The 14th region is dominant this year. Lots of talent on every team. Congrats to both teams on a hard played game

Knott Central is in the All A this year. Evidently their enrollment has dropped enough for them to qualify. I wouldn't be surprised to see Breathitt County in the All A in the near future because they have experienced a loss of enrollment too. Leslie County is also in the All A. The only 14tu region schools not in it are Perry Central, Letcher Central, Powell County, Estill. County, and Breathitt County.
Also, the seating capacity of Knott Central's gym is 5,000. Hazard's Memorial seats around 2,200.
Looks like the refs were in controll Hazard is the better team they play more kids and Knott if they get in foul trouble is in trouble, 47 of 51 sound like home cooking to me.
you cant let a team shoot that many fouls shots, The refs are going to have to let the kids play, on a neutral floor Hazard will win.
Ballers be bawlin.:Sad04:
I was at the game and I agree, the REFS WERE ATTROCIOUS!! They called way too many touch fouls and let things go that could potentially cause injury to players. Knott scored 94 pounts and 50% of them (47) were from free throws! This continues over and over and has gotten to the point that I dread going to games and seeing who is calling them! It's time for the KHSAA to do something about this because what does it teach kids when you have to cheat to win?
I'm not really upset about the loss...it's a learning experience and essentially just for bragging rights, but like many of you have said, if this game had been played on a neutral court with unbiased refs, Hazard would have won!
I'm really proud of our team. They have nothing to hang their heads about! Just keep on working and things will eventually turn out alright.
As for the All A Tournament, I believe the rule says the smallest 125 schools in the stated can compete. So, Knott has fallen into that category because so many schools have consolidated and the small schools are dying out. I really believe the All A people need to look at the criteria for qualification to compete because it is quickly moving its focus away from the small schools when it allows schools the size of Knott county to compete.
Merry Christmas everyone and Go Dawgs!
Ballers Wrote:My point is, refs can be red flagged at a facility.
If BB didn't like certain refs from 14th they wouldnt be there.
I'm telling you as straight foward as I can, lol..
Knott is not on the same level as Hazard this year.
And Justice will not EVER have a 30 point game against Hazard this year.
Nor will Knott win against Hazard again this year..
That including WYMT classic or region, it's not going to happen.

This guy said it first and I will eat crow if for some reason it did happen.
But it isn't.

Hahah How mad are you? Hahah seriously? Calm down..
Hazard has not beat Knott in like 4 years, this is not unusual, and for you to say Knott and Hazard are not on the same level is rediculous!
They have around an 11 deep bench, Knott has 6 or 7 on a good night, 3 Knott starters fouled out, and they still won.
Foul calls were high, but even.
Hazards normal motto; cheated not defeated.
Stlcardsfan Wrote:I agree the foul calls were ridiculous at times. Had they swallowed the whistle more Knott would've finished Hazard off in the 4th. Just saying.

Not saying I agree or disagree...
but explain that.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Knott Central was 47 for 51 from the free throw line. That's some kind of shooting!

92% as a team from the line. Thats phenominal.

Looks like in this case free throws won the game for Knott. Congrats on the win Knott. Good game by the Dawgs.

Ballers run down later and i'll get you a tissue. :Sad04:

Confusednicker:
Hazard played a very physical man to man defense all night. They also pressed full court as well as trapped in the half court. Knott Central played zone half the time and still had all 3 big men to foul out. I agree that there were some touch fouls called but Hazard also shot well over 30 free throws for the game. The free throw differential was due to the aggressive Hazard defense not the officials. These are two good teams. Every game will be a toss up. The team that gets the breaks will win. nuff said!
Hazard played a very physical man to man defense all night. They also pressed full court as well as trapped in the half court. Knott Central played zone half the time and still had all 3 big men to foul out. I agree that there were some touch fouls called but Hazard also shot well over 30 free throws for the game. The free throw differential was due to the aggressive Hazard defense not the officials. These are two good teams. Every game will be a toss up. The team that gets the breaks will win. nuff said!
This was a great game to be at.

The stretch by Hazard in the 4th quarter might have been one of the best defensive stretches I've ever seen in High School basketball around here. They forced turnover after turnover and they even got a steal while JBS was inbounding the ball with 4 seconds left and Hollan got off a fadeaway from the corner that had every in the building holding their breath.

Justice is tough and I think his release is a little quicker than it was last year. Triplett chased him all night and he displayed the best way to guard him, but Justice showed us that if you slow down or take a break for a split second that he can get his shot off and make you pay.

I appreciate the refs attempt to keep this one under control, but it really worked against Hazard in the grand scheme of things. Justice got around 10 of his points solely from ticky-tack fouls coming off of screens - not saying that they didn't get called both ways - JBS really just didn't try to fight through screens as much so they didn't get caught up in those situations.

Justice's 39 points were big, and people may call me crazy, but I think Josh Hollan was the best player on the floor last night. He was forcing turnovers on defense, hitting shots, running the team, driving to the basket and forcing contact....he did it all last night.
Also...

any reason why Hudson rode the bench in the 4th and OT in this one.
He didn't sniff the floor until garbage time.

FT shooting?
They made the run without him...
maybe Big Al didn't want to mess it up.
Alot of fouls called both ways.Three starters for Knott fouled out and not for sure how many players fouled out for Hazard. Hollan is the real deal and love his tenacity on the floor and never give up attitude. Justice is by far the best player in the region imo.He hit alot of clutch shots and a big three in overtime to pull KCC ahead.Overall,I was impressed with KCC, say what you will,but Hazard was fortunate that Cornett and Christian fouled out and they were up 13 points at the time.Was impressed with Thompson also and he looks faster this year and has a good first step. Great game and I still can't understand Hudson being on the bench with all of Knott's bigs out of the game.
Hit N' Run Wrote:Alot of fouls called both ways.Three starters for Knott fouled out and not for sure how many players fouled out for Hazard. Hollan is the real deal and love his tenacity on the floor and never give up attitude. Justice is by far the best player in the region imo.He hit alot of clutch shots and a big three in overtime to pull KCC ahead.Overall,I was impressed with KCC, say what you will,but Hazard was fortunate that Cornett and Christian fouled out and they were up 13 points at the time.Was impressed with Thompson also and he looks faster this year and has a good first step. Great game and I still can't understand Hudson being on the bench with all of Knott's bigs out of the game.

I was pretty sure one fouled out late in the 4th and the other fouled out in OT
Zaga,you might be correct.I was thinking Christian fouled out during that stretch and then Cornett in the 4th. After so many fouls I lost track,lol. I honestly thought Hudson had fouled out also until he was brought back in. Hope people realize though that Hazard is in the hunt and have loads of depth.Most talent I have seen in the 14th in a long time.Three teams stand out and when/if Johnson gets eligible for PCC,it's gonna be alot of fun in the region.They will be a load to handle and right now KCC,Hazard,and PCC are ahead of the pack from what I have witnessed thus far.
These two teams are legit. Have saw both of them play this year. Very well coached and both have very solid guard play. Will be very interested to see who wins the re-match.
What's the verdict on Hollan's ankle? Is it broken as was reported by someone on twitter? That would be a huge loss for Hazard. Even if he would be able to come back before the post season tournaments, his conditioning and basketball skills would suffer to some degree.
This game was a learning experience for everyone. Justice played a great game no doubt. He has improved his game since last year. Release is quicker and has developed a pull up three. Things he needs in the next level. Josh Hollan played excellent and has a stronger supporting cast. Thompson played a good game. Hope Hollan is able to return soon. Hazard has to have him he makes their offense go. One thing this game revealed to me is Knott is vulnerable inside. In the future the best way to play them is make it a half court game and make Justice work for his shots. Hazard got beat back several times allowing easy transition baskets. A lot of people are questioning the idea of holding the big boys back but all games are a learning experience. I personally thought the Bulldogs should have taken it inside when Evan Hall picked up two early fouls in the first. It's early in the season a lot of basketball to be played. It's going to be fun. Peace be among us. Brother Cecil.
Zaga- In response to my swallowing of whistles. Cornett and Christon fouled out early in the 4th and Hall early in OT. Knott was up 8 before Cornett and Christon left. Once you go past Blake Shrum they don't play anyone else in the rotation regularly. If Hazard and KCC both have at least 2 foul out, advantage Hazard. That's how they made their run with Hollon getting inside (everyone knows justice can't defend) and no one to stop Olinger except the bench players fouling him and sending him to the line. Knott pulled away before each team had players foul out. Players started fouling out and Hazard roared back.
zaga_fan Wrote:I was pretty sure one fouled out late in the 4th and the other fouled out in OT

Christon fouled out early in the 4th, Cornett followed soon after. Hall fouled out early in OT. If I remember correctly.
Stlcardsfan Wrote:Zaga- In response to my swallowing of whistles. Cornett and Christon fouled out early in the 4th and Hall early in OT. Knott was up 8 before Cornett and Christon left. Once you go past Blake Shrum they don't play anyone else in the rotation regularly. If Hazard and KCC both have at least 2 foul out, advantage Hazard. That's how they made their run with Hollon getting inside (everyone knows justice can't defend) and no one to stop Olinger except the bench players fouling him and sending him to the line. Knott pulled away before each team had players foul out. Players started fouling out and Hazard roared back.

^I actually completely agree. I said the same thing to myself when the 4th qtr started when the score was 63-50 Knott. KCC is 6 deep and thats IT. I said it from the start of the year. Hazard was in the game but you can feel Knott was getting ready to just pull away completely. But with 3 starters fouling out 2 in the early 4th. I thought it was Hazards for the taking after that and actually could have won in regulation on Hollans last second three. Fouls hurt both teams in this one.