Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. and Montgomery Co. applying to KHSAA to join the 16th Region?
kentuckynole Wrote:I doubt that Clark and Montgomery will be in the 14th region. Clark will go to the 11th and Montgomery will go to the 16th. Letcher and Jenkins to the 15th.

I don't think changes will happen till the 2014-2015 season.

Why would Letcher and Jenkins go to the 15th?

You are correct about the changes not being made until 2014/15..that's the next realignment.
Yes I don't think radical changes will happen to 2014-2015, I remember reading that they said changes would happen in January or early February to give coaches time for scheduling, obviously it is past that now.
Geographically speaking it makes no sense for Montgomery County to be in 16th region, Lawrence County is a much better fit.
Didn't Harlan County ask to be moved to the 14Th back in 2005 when they did the last reallignment? Don't remember if it was because of the number of schools in Harlan County at the time or just for the new Harlan County High School to be a member of the 14th when they started up.
citykat Wrote:Geographically speaking it makes no sense for Montgomery County to be in 16th region, Lawrence County is a much better fit.

West Liberty is just right up the road from Morehead???

I believe they can make the trip up 64!!!
OldSchoolTiger Wrote:Didn't Harlan County ask to be moved to the 14Th back in 2005 when they did the last reallignment? Don't remember if it was because of the number of schools in Harlan County at the time or just for the new Harlan County High School to be a member of the 14th when they started up.

It wasn't that far back. It was about four years ago.
If someone moves from the 13th to the 14th it would probably have to be Harlan County or Clay County.
From what I heard there was no discussion of any changes to the 16th region other than the possibility of Lawrence coming back.
Strikeout King Wrote:Why would Letcher and Jenkins go to the 15th?

You are correct about the changes not being made until 2014/15..that's the next realignment.

If Lawrence County moves then that would leave only 15 teams in 15th region and I would think geographically that Letcher & Jenkins would move to 15th. Just my opinion though.
Curveball 24 Wrote:West Liberty is just right up the road from Morehead???

I believe they can make the trip up 64!!!

Guess I am not following this? What does West Liberty have to do the Montgomery County and Lawrence County? Louisa is much closer to Ashland/Boyd/Greenup/Russell/Raceland/Fairview/West Carter/East Carter/Lewis County than Montgomery County is.....jeez Montgomery County is almost to Lexington.
citykat Wrote:Guess I am not following this? What does West Liberty have to do the Montgomery County and Lawrence County? Louisa is much closer to Ashland/Boyd/Greenup/Russell/Raceland/Fairview/West Carter/East Carter/Lewis County than Montgomery County is.....jeez Montgomery County is almost to Lexington.

The travel from Louisa to Pikeville is the same as the travel to Greenup. Since Pikeville is the furthest LCHS has to travel in the 15th, Lewis would be probably the furthest in the 16th and that would be about 30 minutes further. So, tell me, how is the 16th a better fit for "travel" for Lawrence? IF this is about "travel", which we all know it is NOT, then the 15th is by far better for LCHS. Most of the schools that LCHS would play would be along US 23, while the 16th would require trips to Elliot, Morgan, Olive Hill, Vanceburg...not exactly "easier" on travel.

Montgomery County is about 1 hour 15-30 minutes from Greenup (cutting across the industrial road). So, why won't they fit in the 16th the same as Lawrence would? Huh? People are quick to try to get rid of Lawrence from the 15th and put them back with Boyd and Ashland by saying "travel" and "rivals", when I believe the past 6-7 years there has been a nice rivalry with Paintsville, Johnson Central, and Pikeville. The kids/people of Lawrence (Louisa-south) are more like the people from Johnson, Martin, Floyd, and Pike Counties than they are linked to Boyd, Carter, or Greenup.

Oh, and finally, LCHS is NOT GOING ANYWHERE next year. That's official. :biglmao: Like it or not, doesn't matter. They will revisit this again late next year but I seriously doubt you see Lawrence move to the 16th. It is more likely that you see Sheldon Clark or Magoffin and Betsy Layne moving districts to even it out. Lawrence would have made it easier for the 57th by not arguing against moving to another district in the 15th, but the teams in the 57th didn't want that either. Fact is, they don't like having LCHS in the district because now it makes it harder for the other teams to get to the region. Not saying that the Sheldon Clark's, Central's, or Paintsville's aren't getting to the region because they have, but now LCHS has a great group of young basketball talent as well as baseball. Would be much easier if LCHS wasn't in the 57th...for those other teams. :dontthink
I am not saying that LW should move, I was merely commenting on the fact that if they want to add a team to the 16th if Rose Hill is leaving it just feels more natural for LW than MoCo. I go agree that LW "feels" like a better fit in the 15th but MoCo doesnt not fit at all with the 16th region teams. If we are talking about "relating" I surely think the MoCo kids realate to the Winchester area far more that the Ashland area
LCHS,

why would a radio in Ashland would be reporting this if it didn't have some TRUTH to it. Likewise, why would a 16th region station talk about it and not a 15th region station if the 15th region that didn't want Lawrence Co? I am positive it is being considered! Will it hapen???

I do know this much Henry Webb(floyd co. superintendent) is on the board of controls for the 15th region and they will NOT be a floyd co. school move out of the 58th district! The pike co. districts are not going to expand either. It was in the DEAL when all the changes happened last year through the KHSAA along with keeping the region at the EXPO CENTER.

If LC stays the 57th WILL have 5 teams!
Actually the only problem the 57th has is that they have 5 teams and only 2 get to the region while Pike Co has two districts with 3 teams each and 2 of themfrom each district get in. It is nothing to do with Lawrence Co.
One thing to remember is the KHSAA is HIGHLY political. The last time we had a major realignment the power balance on the committee was from Pulaski County and Shelby County. The two Pulaski Co reps saw to it that South Laurel and North Laurel were moved to the 13th. The objective of the Shelby reps were to see that Scott Co was moved out of the 8th. It all depends on where the committee reps are from.
Lc doesn't want to go to the 16th bc they don't think thy can win in that region. Nobody in the 57th wants them bc it makes them a 5 team district and they was the last in so they should be the one to go. Yes Lewis county is a lot closer than east ridge is. Not even close. Nothing will happen and 57th will be a battle just like last yr. everybody has a good team coming back but only 2 go to the region.
lchsalumnus Wrote:The travel from Louisa to Pikeville is the same as the travel to Greenup. Since Pikeville is the furthest LCHS has to travel in the 15th, Lewis would be probably the furthest in the 16th and that would be about 30 minutes further. So, tell me, how is the 16th a better fit for "travel" for Lawrence? IF this is about "travel", which we all know it is NOT, then the 15th is by far better for LCHS. Most of the schools that LCHS would play would be along US 23, while the 16th would require trips to Elliot, Morgan, Olive Hill, Vanceburg...not exactly "easier" on travel.

Montgomery County is about 1 hour 15-30 minutes from Greenup (cutting across the industrial road). So, why won't they fit in the 16th the same as Lawrence would? Huh? People are quick to try to get rid of Lawrence from the 15th and put them back with Boyd and Ashland by saying "travel" and "rivals", when I believe the past 6-7 years there has been a nice rivalry with Paintsville, Johnson Central, and Pikeville. The kids/people of Lawrence (Louisa-south) are more like the people from Johnson, Martin, Floyd, and Pike Counties than they are linked to Boyd, Carter, or Greenup.

Oh, and finally, LCHS is NOT GOING ANYWHERE next year. That's official. :biglmao: Like it or not, doesn't matter. They will revisit this again late next year but I seriously doubt you see Lawrence move to the 16th. It is more likely that you see Sheldon Clark or Magoffin and Betsy Layne moving districts to even it out. Lawrence would have made it easier for the 57th by not arguing against moving to another district in the 15th, but the teams in the 57th didn't want that either. Fact is, they don't like having LCHS in the district because now it makes it harder for the other teams to get to the region. Not saying that the Sheldon Clark's, Central's, or Paintsville's aren't getting to the region because they have, but now LCHS has a great group of young basketball talent as well as baseball. Would be much easier if LCHS wasn't in the 57th...for those other teams. :dontthink

East Ridge is actually the furthest point LC would have to travel, it's about 25-30m on a bus from Pikeville.
Lewis is an hour and ten minutes from Louisa. Trust me I have drove it many many of times. Don't act like Elliott is so far away as it is our bordering county along with Carter. The travel is no different to 16th region schools then 15th. Actually you have better roads going to 16th as most is on AA or 64. The only exception to a long trip is Menifee. But it still is no worse then phelps or east ridge.
I LOVED being in the 16th Region when I was at Lawrence Co. Will be some great basketball in that District next few years if it happens. Baseball wise it was huge rivalries between Lawrence, Boyd and Ashland. All consistently winning well over 20 games.
bulldog42 Wrote:I LOVED being in the 16th Region when I was at Lawrence Co. Will be some great basketball in that District next few years if it happens. Baseball wise it was huge rivalries between Lawrence, Boyd and Ashland. All consistently winning well over 20 games.

No offense, but Lawrence just doesn't fit in with Boyd and Ashland anymore. The school size is a fraction of what it was back when you played. Boyd and Ashland has remained consistent. Sure, there were some great rivalries and games, but the 15th is a much better fit for LCHS, both culturally and athletically. They have developed very good rivalries with a few schools south of Louisa, too. Moving back to the 16th would not be good, in my opinion. I, too, remember the days of the 16th and how fun it was. But I also am around the current times and the 15th and feel it is developing in to something special as well.
When I went to school Lawrence was in the 16th, and I think that is a better fit....I do not think, that MOntgomery Co should be allowed to move anywhere near 14, 15, or 16, just so they can try to dominate...it is really not ok.
It's ridiculous that two districts have 5 teams and two have 3. Politics...
HD28 Wrote:It's ridiculous that two districts have 5 teams and two have 3. Politics...

Yes, politics has kept it that way but ask a any coach if they want to ride to Phelps or East Ridge on a school night to play a district game.

Lawrence and Sheldon Clark whine and complain CONSTANTLY.

SC wants no part of the 60th, LC wanted out of the 16th, then wanted back in, now they want to stay in the 15th. The b!tching and moaning they do is just plain annoying.

The facts are the 16th and 14th are going to look VERY different in a year. Jenkins will be in the 15th @ the 59th, Piarist to the 60th, and Wesley will in one or the other when they are admited to the KHSAA. MAYBE Magoffin is moved, maybe not.

The meeting the other day was a complete and utter joke.
region Wrote:Yes, politics has kept it that way but ask a any coach if they want to ride to Phelps or East Ridge on a school night to play a district game.

Lawrence and Sheldon Clark whine and complain CONSTANTLY.

SC wants no part of the 60th, LC wanted out of the 16th, then wanted back in, now they want to stay in the 15th. The b!tching and moaning they do is just plain annoying.

The facts are the 16th and 14th are going to look VERY different in a year. Jenkins will be in the 15th @ the 59th, Piarist to the 60th, and Wesley will in one or the other when they are admited to the KHSAA. MAYBE Magoffin is moved, maybe not.

The meeting the other day was a complete and utter joke.

that is some funny stuff there. lawrence is not whining or crying. it's the other teams that are. fact is that too many people are stupid and don't want to do what is RIGHT and realign the region. magoffin would be the easiest fix, moving to the floyd county district. betsy layne moving to the pikeville district would be another easy fix to even it to 4 team districts. in the future i'm sure you'll see a floyd county consolidation of south floyd and allen central which will help even it out, but that would still require them taking a team from the 57th and putting it somewhere else in the 15th. why is everyone quick to say "lawrence back to the 16th"? lawrence never wanted back in the 16th when they left for the 15th. it is a better fit for lawrence and the people of louisa in the 15th.

even more funny is the fact that you brought up Jenkins as a team moving in. so, you want to be taken serious about competition and tradition at the same time you are saying kick lawrence out and bring Jenkins in? that's funny. that's also proof on what is really going on here. make it easier for Pikeville and Paintsville schools to get to the region and beyond.
Clark County and the Montgomery County schools were in the 16th Region for over 40 years until the mid-to-late 1960's, so there is a bit of historic precedent for having them in the 16th. Probably easier for Montgomery to head over to Morehead and Ashland on 64 than up 11 to Maysville or to Northern Kentucky. That actually makes a bit of sense for them.
region Wrote:Yes, politics has kept it that way but ask a any coach if they want to ride to Phelps or East Ridge on a school night to play a district game.

You could play on Friday or Saturday.

I don't know about Jenkins moving without Letcher. It looks like Knott fits better on a map. I think they were moved in one proposed plan a few years ago.
I would like to see the 15th go to a all in Regional tournament. Do away with those home court advantages, and have a "Sweet 16 " of their own at the EXPO.... You could seed the teams, and get sponsors so every school could make $$$... I believe the young people and fans would really enjoy the fun it would generate.....
BlueSky Wrote:I would like to see the 15th go to a all in Regional tournament. Do away with those home court advantages, and have a "Sweet 16 " of their own at the EXPO.... You could seed the teams, and get sponsors so every school could make $$$... I believe the young people and fans would really enjoy the fun it would generate.....

It would not be surprising to see this.
Saying that Lawrence don't fit into the sixteenth region or district with Ashland and Boyd because of the size of the school is a pretty crazy thought. Im sure Rose Hill and Fairview would love that reason to leave. I think Lawrence to the 16th is a whole lot better fit, but who knows what will change. With the KHSAA and the allignment of football (Bell Co in the western half) Graves County could end up in the 15th.

Does anyone remember how they done the regional tournament back a couple years ago when they combined the two Pike County Districts into one six team district? Im thinking they took 3 out of the 57th and Floyd Districts and and four out of the Pike District and the extra teams played on the Saturday and Sunday to advance to the regular regionals tournament. They only done this one year and i can't remember the specifics. But it could be an idea.