Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
56th District
IMO powell has it under control
Owsley Co. may have a few good players but i think powell will overcome that. Kendra Combs isnt much to handle
powell
owsley
estill
lee

with the dominate post play of the pirates i see them winning the 56th. I also see them going far in the region aswell. If they make it to region and dont fold under the pressure of being there i see them having a chance to win it all if they just work hard.
POWELL all the way there is no question! yes owsley county has a good team and yes powell has lost mabye 2 contributing players on there team. But powell has brought back many of their excellent players. they won it last year with what they had , they will dominate with the just as good of a team but in my opinion an even better 1.
I agree
pirateguy10 Wrote:POWELL all the way there is no question! yes owsley county has a good team and yes powell has lost mabye 2 contributing players on there team. But powell has brought back many of their excellent players. they won it last year with what they had , they will dominate with the just as good of a team but in my opinion an even better 1.
Where do you get that Powell will be so dominate over Owsley this upcoming year?? They did beat them twice last year, but didn't exactly romp past them either time. Powell lost "2 contributing players". Well, Owsley lost 1. And Owsley, according to a friend of mine who lives in Owsley, beat Lee and Estill fairly easily this summer. He said they tried to play Powell this summer but Powell was unable to work it into their summer schedule.Confusedhh:
The district tourney is at Owsley this year! Don't get so bravo that you thinkthe Lady Pirates have a cakewalk through the 56th this season.:goofy:
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Where do you get that Powell will be so dominate over Owsley this upcoming year?? They did beat them twice last year, but didn't exactly romp past them either time. Powell lost "2 contributing players". Well, Owsley lost 1. And Owsley, according to a friend of mine who lives in Owsley, beat Lee and Estill fairly easily this summer. He said they tried to play Powell this summer but Powell was unable to work it into their summer schedule.Confusedhh:
The district tourney is at Owsley this year! Don't get so bravo that you thinkthe Lady Pirates have a cakewalk through the 56th this season.:goofy:

:thatsfunn They got past them last year, did they not?TongueirateSho
i agree with bat boi like i said they will dominate they have excellent players this year and some new talent that seems to have good potential stevie rogers is great for a freshman she knows how to bring the heat, and meghan mays is another good player to name a few
Noone said it was going to be a cakewalk for the lady pirates...as you are insinuating it is going to be for the lady owls? i agree this years district will be interesting, and the lady owls may have home court advanage. But, imo that is all they have. Kendra Combs is a good all around player and person. But one person can't carry a team. I still say lady pirates all the way.
Inyoureye4 Wrote:Noone said it was going to be a cakewalk for the lady pirates...as you are insinuating it is going to be for the lady owls? i agree this years district will be interesting, and the lady owls may have home court advanage. But, imo that is all they have. Kendra Combs is a good all around player and person. But one person can't carry a team. I still say lady pirates all the way.
You say I'm "insinuating" a cakewalk for the Lady OwlsRolleyes . Nothing could be farther from the truth. I just felt compelled, after reading post after post from Pirate fans about how dominate their team will be this year in the distict, to remind them that there's still a few other teams who may be in the mix as well. And I think Owsley will be one of them. They've also got a good group of returning players, and unlike you're trying to imply, Kendra Combs is not the only one. Mika Turner has shown great improvement over the summer, as has Sheri and Terri Gilbert, and Candi Combs. Plus their lone senior, Jessica Murrell is back, and they have a couple of new players who have moved into the county and I hear should be able to contribute. One is a 7th grader and the other is a freshman.

So I suppose we'll just have to wait and see and let it all play out on the floor:thumpsup:
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You say I'm "insinuating" a cakewalk for the Lady OwlsRolleyes . Nothing could be farther from the truth. I just felt compelled, after reading post after post from Pirate fans about how dominate their team will be this year in the distict, to remind them that there's still a few other teams who may be in the mix as well. And I think Owsley will be one of them. They've also got a good group of returning players, and unlike you're trying to imply, Kendra Combs is not the only one. Mika Turner has shown great improvement over the summer, as has Sheri and Terri Gilbert, and Candi Combs. Plus their lone senior, Jessica Murrell is back, and they have a couple of new players who have moved into the county and I hear should be able to contribute. One is a 7th grader and the other is a freshman.

So I suppose we'll just have to wait and see and let it all play out on the floor:thumpsup:

:lmao: I bet you "insinuated" that last year was a cakewalk for Owsley, look how that turned out
56th_batboi Wrote::lmao: I bet you "insinuated" that last year was a cakewalk for Owsley, look how that turned out
Actually I didn't.
But Powell did lose two contributing players off last year's team, and this is a new season. And Owsley has the district on their home floor. So I think they have as good of a shot at winning the district as anyone in it. For all you Powell fans to "insinuate" that Powell is the overwhelming favorite to win this championship is a little far-fetched. They may possibly win it, because they do have a good team, but rest assured it won't be as easy as some of you think. Not nearly as easy as last year. I still think, and this is only an opinion, that the Lady Owls have a slim edge.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:You say I'm "insinuating" a cakewalk for the Lady OwlsRolleyes . Nothing could be farther from the truth. I just felt compelled, after reading post after post from Pirate fans about how dominate their team will be this year in the distict, to remind them that there's still a few other teams who may be in the mix as well. And I think Owsley will be one of them. They've also got a good group of returning players, and unlike you're trying to imply, Kendra Combs is not the only one. Mika Turner has shown great improvement over the summer, as has Sheri and Terri Gilbert, and Candi Combs. Plus their lone senior, Jessica Murrell is back, and they have a couple of new players who have moved into the county and I hear should be able to contribute. One is a 7th grader and the other is a freshman.

I'm sure pirate fan's know all about the other teams in the district. And there is no doubt there there are a couple teams that can give them a run this season. I'm sure all teams in the district have worked hard this summer to improve for this years season. But im just glad the pirates have a good fan base, that believe in them, and have high hopes for them this season.TongueirateSho
1 Owsley
2 Powell
3 Estill
4 Lee

The lady owls is the best in the district as I can see as of right now. They are a tough bunch of girls. I've watch this group and they have grown together over the summer. They played at the Breathitt toury this summer and done well. They also played at EKU and done well. The lady Owls will be a force the reckin' with, mark my words. They only lost two players last year, and they have rebuilt well might I add. With Combs and Murrell leading the way, the lady owls will be exciting to watch. Coach Bates isn't scared to use his bench this year because he has the tallent and the ability he needs.
I know you can't really go by summer ball, but from what I've heard and what I've seen, the lady Owls are going to be tough!
MtnGirl Wrote:Owsley Co. may have a few good players but i think powell will overcome that. Kendra Combs isnt much to handle

Kendra Combs has improved and so has the team. IMO Combs is an exceptional player. She's a very talented player. She has determination and a good head on her sholders. She can also score. But she isn't the only player to worry about. The Murrell girl down low has a grate shot and can rebound like no other. Turner will drive, T.Gilbert can knock down 3's, S.Gilbert has got speed out of the world and C.Combs can also knock down 3's.
Maybe the whole team can handle Kendra, but can the whole team handle Kendra and the rest of the Lady Owls?????
One player I forgot to mention from the Lady Owls was Thacker. She is a very good rebounder, and has improved all around. So you have K.Combs, Murrell, Thacker, S.Gilbert, T.Gilbert, C.Combs, and Turner. A good group of talented Lady Owls!!!!!
IMO powell has district this year, and for the next two years at least. Owsley might be "tough" but Powell commits whenever the time is right and isnt going to let district slip away from them. They had them everytime they played them last year....sence the Owsley players improved what says the powell county girls hasnt done the same? My money is on Powell all the way!
Nothing-but-Net Wrote:IMO powell has district this year, and for the next two years at least. Owsley might be "tough" but Powell commits whenever the time is right and isnt going to let district slip away from them. They had them everytime they played them last year....sence the Owsley players improved what says the powell county girls hasnt done the same? My money is on Powell all the way!
"Powell commits whenever the time is right".

Nice quote. But you'd better do a little research and see who has won the most district titles in the 56th since girls basketball was re-started back in 1975. You'll discover that Owsley County has the most district championships (12). So it appears that the Lady Owls 'commit" at the right time somewhat more than the other district teams in the district. Don't underestimate Owsley County. Powell could possibly win it this year, but Owsley could make it number 13 as well.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:"Powell commits whenever the time is right".

Nice quote. But you'd better do a little research and see who has won the most district titles in the 56th since girls basketball was re-started back in 1975. You'll discover that Owsley County has the most district championships (12). So it appears that the Lady Owls 'commit" at the right time somewhat more than the other district teams in the district. Don't underestimate Owsley County. Powell could possibly win it this year, but Owsley could make it number 13 as well.

That was well said lookayanner
yeah they might HAVE commmited it you look back to 1975 but im talking about now. the group of girls from powell county have the heart and the want to to win and that helps out big time when it is backed up with the experence and the talent. Owelsy might do better than ppl expect them to do but i see powell taking it home this year, again.
IM sorry..owsely has as much potential as anyone else in the district to win district..but what does them having won 12 district titles in the past have to do with anything? this is a totally new group of players with a diff coach..and how long has it been since the lady owls have took home a district title? I'm not knocking them...I know they have some talent...And could possibly win district this year..But having not seen any of this talent so far...and going on what i know...Powells a fav to win.
Im thinkin Powell
1. Owsley
2. Powell
3. Estill
4. Lee

Powell will be tough, but Owsley has a different team this year. Its a new style of ball for them, and they have a deep bench. They could surely go all the way.
It could go a couple of ways
Inyoureye4 Wrote:IM sorry..owsely has as much potential as anyone else in the district to win district..but what does them having won 12 district titles in the past have to do with anything? this is a totally new group of players with a diff coach..and how long has it been since the lady owls have took home a district title? I'm not knocking them...I know they have some talent...And could possibly win district this year..But having not seen any of this talent so far...and going on what i know...Powells a fav to win.

The last time the Lady Owls won a district title was in 05. Yes that was when they had Austin McIntosh, Brittany Price, and Tara Chadwell (85-90% of the scoring.) Last year as I recall, the Lady Owls led at the half during districts at Lee Co., but Estill had a girl that fired 3 or 4 three-pointers right back to back to back and brought them back into the game and ended up to win.

But for the Lady Owls to have lost all that talent, they did rather well IMO. I mean, yell they lost and even had a losing season last year, but they re-adjusted well. This year they will be better and stronger.

I still have to say the Lady Owls!!!!!!
Nothing-but-Net Wrote:yeah they might HAVE commmited it you look back to 1975 but im talking about now. the group of girls from powell county have the heart and the want to to win and that helps out big time when it is backed up with the experence and the talent. Owelsy might do better than ppl expect them to do but i see powell taking it home this year, again.
I'm talking about now as well. I think the lady Owls have an edge over the other teams in the district. They have an edge in talent, and they're playing the tournament on the home floor. Couple thost two facts and it spells banner number 13 on the wall of The Palace.
On another note, I don't think Powell fans realize just how much their program is going to miss Mullins. She was very important in their district title last year.
On a second note, I bet Estill fans are licking their chops reading all these Owsley-Powell postsSmile The Lady Engineers won't be an easy win for anyone in the district.
Does anyone know if powell and estill played this summer...if so how did it go?
No powell and estill did not play over the summer.
But no doubt every game played in this years district will be one to watch
No matter who is playing.
So i think we should wait untill season starts. And just see how it plays out there.:Thumbs:
Inyoureye4 Wrote:No powell and estill did not play over the summer.
But no doubt every game played in this years district will be one to watch
No matter who is playing.
So i think we should wait untill season starts. And just see how it plays out there.:Thumbs:
Now this makes sense.:thumpsup:
Never can tell what will happen. To much talent sometimes runs into a problem. We will just have to see.