Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dale Mueller resigns from Highlands
Wow Big Shock!!!!!!
Canes Wrote:I bet the champaign is flowing in Covington.

....All the way to Paintsville and maybe even Lexington and Danville as well HAHA

Park Hills, but I agree that they can't be upset.

Highlands will always be Highlands, but even the faithful have to know that this is a big blow.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life

at Holmes or Holy Cross? and why?:eyeroll:
Congrats to the best coach I know on a great ride. I think Dale still has a few years left though.
Sorry nky I meant park hills but you could also add the rest of 4a to the list.
I was offered the position; I'm taking it under consideration.

Wink
Hey, they have a coach in Paducah that already is used to wearing blue & white. Take him and you get a good track coach as a bonus.
I knew this was coming. I said 2 months ago he would leave after this season no matter how the season ended. Weinrich is the new coach. And that's been planned for years. I don't agree. But he is. He's nothing like Dale. There's more to being a football coach than just coaching football. And people might disagree. But I think Dale sees the talent level slipping. And I think it is.
And I noticed someone threw out the name of Beyhmer being the next coach. I had to laugh at that one.
Just saw this on wkyt new, I was shocked, highlands is losing one of the best high school football coaches to ever stand on the side lines. 11 state titles in different classes, I would bet that there's not very many coaches in the nation that have those stats..

Sad lose for highland, but makes everyone in 4a happy!!
Monday, December 9, 2013

Outstanding Tenure comes to an end

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM
Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

Note: More details and photo to come.

The great tenure came to an end today.

Dale Mueller stepped down as Head Football Coach of the vaunted Highlands Bluebirds today. He finished 309-67 in 29 years as a head coach and 250-36 in 20 seasons at Highlands.

Mueller, 59, goes down as the longest-tenured head coach in school history. He took over in 1994 after coaching stints at Cincinnati Withrow and Cincinnati Sycamore. Mueller also served as an assistant coach at Cincinnati Western Hills and Newport High before becoming a head coach.

“It has been planned for a year,” Mueller said. “I told my family last December that I was going to coach this last football season and that was going to be it. Then I told the administration at Highlands – the principal (Brian Robinson) and superintendent (Gene Kirschner) that I was going to retire. But I didn’t tell the players or coaches until today because I didn’t want this year to be all about Dale Mueller. I wanted it to be about (the players), not me.”

The Bluebirds finished 13-2 this past season. They lost 37-34 to Collins in the Class 4A state championship on Saturday at Western Kentucky University. The Bluebirds graduate 31 seniors from that team.

“There have always been rumors about (his retirement),” said Drew Houliston, Highlands senior. “We feel pretty bad we couldn’t get a win in his last game. We’re going to miss him. He’s more than just a football coach. He’ll impact us the rest of our lives.”

Mueller, a 1978 Highlands alum, finishes ranked 18th in Kentucky in terms of all-time wins. The Kentucky High School Athletic Association only recognizes wins in Kentucky on that list. But his record of 11-3 in state championship games ranks higher than anyone else on it.

Mueller will still continue in his roles as teacher and director of athletics through the 2014-15 academic year. The Cornell University alum teaches Chemistry at Highlands.

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2013/12...o-end.html
Congratulations to Coach Mueller. Good luck in the future.
Brian better make a really good hire to run the offense.
I say, even though he's only been there a couples years. Coach Lynch. He really knows his stuff. When Dale wasn't at last years state game. He ran the offense and did a great job. Brian, even though was acting head coach, he did not deal with the offense at all during the game. And Coach Lynch rang up 47 points on them
Always sad to see a legend retire. Congrats Coach Mueller on a great coaching career. I'm sure that if your half the teacher and coach everyone says you are, that you have impacted many young men's life's in a very positive way.
Congratulations Coach you deserve a break. Spend some quality time with your family. They deserve having you around more
What a 3 day span for Highlands lose State in a heartbreaker then lose the best active coach in Ky and one of the all time greats.
I know Highlands will keep on keepin on, but it is bittersweet to see Dale get out. How many 59 year old coaches look like they are in their forties with the energy of a 20 year old. Dale was and is Highlands personified. It is an honor to know a guy that is so enthusiastic, smart and hard working as Dale. Thanks
Blau Vogel Wrote:Monday, December 9, 2013

Outstanding Tenure comes to an end

By G. MICHAEL GRAHAM
Fort Thomas Matters Sports Reporter

Note: More details and photo to come.

The great tenure came to an end today.

Dale Mueller stepped down as Head Football Coach of the vaunted Highlands Bluebirds today. He finished 309-67 in 29 years as a head coach and 250-36 in 20 seasons at Highlands.

Mueller, 59, goes down as the longest-tenured head coach in school history. He took over in 1994 after coaching stints at Cincinnati Withrow and Cincinnati Sycamore. Mueller also served as an assistant coach at Cincinnati Western Hills and Newport High before becoming a head coach.

“It has been planned for a year,” Mueller said. “I told my family last December that I was going to coach this last football season and that was going to be it. Then I told the administration at Highlands – the principal (Brian Robinson) and superintendent (Gene Kirschner) that I was going to retire. But I didn’t tell the players or coaches until today because I didn’t want this year to be all about Dale Mueller. I wanted it to be about (the players), not me.”

The Bluebirds finished 13-2 this past season. They lost 37-34 to Collins in the Class 4A state championship on Saturday at Western Kentucky University. The Bluebirds graduate 31 seniors from that team.

“There have always been rumors about (his retirement),” said Drew Houliston, Highlands senior. “We feel pretty bad we couldn’t get a win in his last game. We’re going to miss him. He’s more than just a football coach. He’ll impact us the rest of our lives.”

Mueller, a 1978 Highlands alum, finishes ranked 18th in Kentucky in terms of all-time wins. The Kentucky High School Athletic Association only recognizes wins in Kentucky on that list. But his record of 11-3 in state championship games ranks higher than anyone else on it.

Mueller will still continue in his roles as teacher and director of athletics through the 2014-15 academic year. The Cornell University alum teaches Chemistry at Highlands.

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/2013/12...o-end.html

I think he's actually a '74 alum. I'm 1980, and I know he was several years older than me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cannon Still Roars.....
LOL at the thread saying "should Mueller resign" and some calling other idiots.

Ill be honest, I just logged on and this is the first ive heard, and this is something else!
This is truly hard to believe.

Highlands will be fine though.
Either the image I have in my head of Dale Mueller is incorrect or he looks really young for his age... I recall seeing him before.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I think he's actually a '74 alum. I'm 1980, and I know he was several years older than me.

'72 I believe; '73 at the latest.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Brian better make a really good hire to run the offense.
It won't surprise me at all to see Weinrich become the head coach; take over the O; and hire a DC.
While I am absolutely shocked at this announcement, Coach Mueller has had a tremendously positive impact on a game that I love dearly. Testaments from his former players and peers confirm that fact. I do not believe that the outcome of this year's state tournament game had one iota in his decision, as I believe that was made over a year ago.

With that being said, he obviously has his priorities in order, in my opinion. He is keeping a promise made to his family. He also is freeing up some of his time to devote his family, his community and his sport.

God speed, Coach Mueller. I wish you nothing but the very best.
Granny Bear Wrote:While I am absolutely shocked at this announcement, Coach Mueller has had a tremendously positive impact on a game that I love dearly. Testaments from his former players and peers confirm that fact. I do not believe that the outcome of this year's state tournament game had one iota in his decision, as I believe that was made over a year ago.

With that being said, he obviously has his priorities in order, in my opinion. He is keeping a promise made to his family. He also is freeing up some of his time to devote his family, his community and his sport.

God speed, Coach Mueller. I wish you nothing but the very best.

Granny thanks for the nice words about Dale. I'm proud to consider Dale a close friend. And while he truly was an outstanding coach, he is an even better person.

A man of deep, deep religious faith, he's gone on mission trips for years to help the needy. He started a program years ago where the football players would raise money by doing yard work, etc. during the late spring/early summer and donate the money to great causes. He won't tolerate cursing from his players or coaches. A senior school administrator texted me yesterday after Dale made the announcement and said that he considered Dale to be one of, if not the, finest persons he's ever met. I'd agree with that conclusion.

The great thing is that while the program is losing a great coach, the community is keeping a great person, whom will have more time now to do other and more great things.
Here's a Question no one is asking...Did Muller retire or did he step down to take another job ?

Also I would think some big names would apply for this job and that there would be more interviews, more than just in house

I would think this would be 1 of the 5 most coveted jobs in the State
Objective Wrote:Here's a Question no one is asking...Did Muller retire or did he step down to take another job ?

Also I would think some big names would apply for this job and that there would be more interviews, more than just in house

I would think this would be 1 of the 5 most coveted jobs in the State

He retired. Highlands was his dream job. He had many an opportunity to coach elsewhere during his career and he chose to stay at Highlands. One should never say never, but I can't see even a 1% chance that he will coach somewhere else.

He truly wants to spend more time being a husband, father and grandfather and to do the other things he's wanted to do but couldn't because of the time he put into the Highlands football program. My guess is that there are a whole lot of bluegill throughout the Commonwealth that aren't happy with Dale's decision to retire. Man loves to fish for bluegill.
Oh, I love that, too. I've always imagined what kind of a fight a 3 lb bluegill might offer!! LOL

Talk about getting your arm broken!

Wink