Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your School's "Mount Rushmore"
Clay County

GOAT Bobby Keith
Richie Farmer
Ray Mills

There are probably 8-10 guys you could argue for the 4th spot.
I was trying to remember Mills' name. I think coach Keith said he played in the 1950s.
My first thought is to go with Russ Chadwell for the fourth spot since he played such an important role on the state championship and state runner-up teams and went on to an All-American career at Georgetown.
Mix1 Wrote:Ok,, which school has Chester the pizza guy? There's your winner.

Chester Jones holds no allegiance to any school.

Wherever there is money to be made... he's there!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:You my friend are CRAZY and have NO IDEA what your talking about!!!!! :gtfo:

Joe Taylor was with the 1984, 2000, 2006, 2012 and 2013 regional championship teams.... not too mention all the years when JC couldn't even make it out of the district... He was right there with JRT. You can ask any person who played any sport at JC since 1980... and they will tell you that Joe Taylor was at their match/game. He retired in 2002 and still came to every practice and every game home or away. Trust me.... I had the privlige of being Joe's neighbor from birth. His house is a museum of JC history.

Ask Tommy McKenzie, Mike Castle, Les Trimble, Mark Starns, Johnny Ray Turner or any other JC coach since Joe has been in Kentucky. They will all tell you... Joe Taylor IS NOT just "a baseball guy".

Like I said Joe has been a icon at JCHS for a very long time and is a Great guy. Seems I upset you, sorry for that! I guess you didn't read or hear what Labron said. This whole statement about the Mount Rushmore was about being one of the Top PLAYERS in NBA history. I love Joe to death but he never scored a point in JC sports history. I wasn't downing anybody just keeping things in context. This subject of the "Mount Rushmore" of the NBA has been all over talk Radio and I have not heard one Coaches named mentioned not even the Great Red Arughbaugh.
Larry Stamper -UK / Parke Congleton - Old Dominion / Ed Congleton -Transylvania / Heber Dunaway - Head Coach
Any Mt Rushmore at Belfry would have to start with Rick Kestner, James Ramey, JJ Hylton, David Jones. I am sure others could be there as well like Coach Haywood, Frank Welch, Coach Raymond Justice, Shawn Hager, Mutt Varney, Messer, Howard. One could argue this one all night. Kestner, Ramey are sure things due to playing in the NFL. Hylton for his scoring and championships to a school that had never been to the State Tourney. David Jones for the Football State Championship
Also Kathy Spinks and Paul David Dotson merit some mention.
Come on Orange..you can do Whitesburg.

As for Jenkins..Two names in Boys Basketball..Brian Johnson, and Johnny Ray Williams. Girls Anyone coached by Henry and Reeda Wright, Kristie Sexton, and I really think Whitney Creech will be there soon. Football I have to many names so I will put it separate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
HDE Wrote:Yeah, that's a little before my time. I'm good with the mid 70s on.
I have a friend who played for Harlan in the 60s though and he said Byrd really took off AFTER high school and only started one or two years. I've heard some of the others talk about players like Tabb, etc...

I don't know about that. Byrd was a STUD player for Harlan. One of the best leapers I ever watched play in Harlan County.
What happened with the Hubbs kid?
I never remember hearing much after he graduated.
For any of these sports it is hard because you only have four spots, but four it is.
Belfry All sports 4...Kestner, Kathy Spinks, Jimmy Bevins, Doug Howard.
Football..Kestner, Howard, David Jones and James Ramey.
Basketball...JJ Hylton, Mutt Varney, Gary Smith, Rod Runyon? Dough Howard?, Steven Staton? 4th is tough
Honorable mentions IMO, any sports...Dwayne Francisco, Chan Marcum, Messer, Dustin May, Ireland Smith, Floyd Hatfield, Jim Matney, Greg Varney, Benny Allen, Janice Towles.
I need to do a little more thinking about this. Belfry people add to this list if you can think of some others because there are a lot I am forgetting.
When I first made this I wasn't including coaches, but if you include coaches you have Steve Mickey, Philip Haywood, Dick Roddy, and Bearmeat Vipperman to add in. Glad you remember some of the good basketball players Bucslover68, hopefully we're about to get back to being successful at that sport.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Like I said Joe has been a icon at JCHS for a very long time and is a Great guy. Seems I upset you, sorry for that! I guess you didn't read or hear what Labron said. This whole statement about the Mount Rushmore was about being one of the Top PLAYERS in NBA history. I love Joe to death but he never scored a point in JC sports history. I wasn't downing anybody just keeping things in context. This subject of the "Mount Rushmore" of the NBA has been all over talk Radio and I have not heard one Coaches named mentioned not even the Great Red Arughbaugh.

First off.... I could care less what LeBron Who said.

Secondly... The four people I mentioned are who I think should be on JC's Basketball "Mount Rushmore"..... you can pick your four. But don't question mine!
Who is the greatest eaters in hospitality room history?
bradc Wrote:Who is the greatest eaters in hospitality room history?

Ira Combs > EVERYONE
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What happened with the Hubbs kid?
I never remember hearing much after he graduated.

He went to Florida and played at the IMG Academy. He got hurt and had to move back home. He had some tryouts, but nothing really worked out after that. His dad runs a very successful company and he works for him now.
Clay
Bobby Keith
Richie Farmer
Gary Gregory
Larry Sizemore
:notbad:
Pulp Fiction Wrote:First off.... I could care less what LeBron Who said.

Secondly... The four people I mentioned are who I think should be on JC's Basketball "Mount Rushmore"..... you can pick your four. But don't question mine!

Karen Pelphrey , David Couch, Harry Meek and Shane Hall.
In Perry County I would place these four figures up based on
their overall success while at the school.

Heston Beverly - All A MVP and All A Champion. Nobody else
here has those attributes.

Kristie Combs - Sweet 16 MVP and State Champion.

Matt Robinson - 1st Team All Stater in football.
Only one in school history.

Tewayne Willis - probably the best All Around Athlete in school history.
Didn't Brian Napier win some beauty contest in his younger days. I think his mom may still have some photos. He may already have his own monument as proud as she is over his success.
Hazard 2 easy choices Johnny Cox and Jim Rose

others Jim and Sam Smith, Houston and Freddie Hogg, Chester Rose, Mickey Gibson, Mike Sammons, Johnny Beeler, Paul Olinger, Dickie Alexander, Calvin Hagans,, I know I am leaving some out and I not old enough to see any of them play.

Since mid 1980s that I have seen play Carl Wallace, Terry North, Willie Combs, Anthony Sharpey, David Alexander, Jon Bentley, Jon Olinger, Justin Hicks, Justin Jones, Josh Whitaker
For Clay County you need a whole mountain range! Seriously, there are so many great players from many years ago that people have forgotten about. Ray Mills, Pearl Hicks and many others could be etched in stone. J.W. "Spider" Thurman was the first coaching legend.Then you have all of the modern greats!
Belfry basketball has had some big time players, a lot is not known about them because records are spotty before the Bennett West era(thank goodness for him).

JJ Hylton, Rod Runyon, Steven Staton, Shawn Hager, Gary Smith, Brett Muha, Greg Varney, Mutt Varney, Jimmy Bevins.....just to name a few.
Corbin

Frank Selvy-NCAA All American, #1 Overall NBA Draft Pick, NBA All Star, Scored 100 points in a game in college.

Roy Kidd- Former EKU football coach, College Football Hall of Fame, 2nd Winningest Coach in 1AA History

Calvin Bird- College All American at UK, NFL

Rodger Bird- College All American at UK, NFL

Jerry Bird- Played for Adolph Rupp at UK and for the New York Knicks

The list can go on and on as Corbin has produced a numerous amount of professional athletes and college stars.
HDE Wrote:Cumberland
Mike Granato - One of state's top scorers in the 1960s who also starred in football
Lewis Morris - Kentucky AP Athlete of the Year in 1985, who went on to play at ETSU, I think.
Paul Gaffney - He was one of several very good players in the 1980s, but what stands out for him is his career as a Harlem Globetrotter
Ralph Roberts - One of the state's most successful coaches who had some of his best years at Cumberland in the 1970s and 1980s.
Cumberland needs a bigger mountain IMO. While I will not argue with your picks, I cannot envision a Mount Redskin without Bobby Mac, Freddie Wayne and Ron Cain.

Someone come in with a Lynch listing...please. Ed Miracle, and...
Paintsville:
Coach Adkins
Coach Brugh
Coach Runyon
Four way tie for the 4th spot: John Pelphrey, J.R. Vanhoose, Johnnie Lemaster, Mike "The Missile" Minix, Sr.
ForearmShiver Wrote:Cumberland needs a bigger mountain IMO. While I will not argue with your picks, I cannot envision a Mount Redskin without Bobby Mac, Freddie Wayne and Ron Cain.

Someone come in with a Lynch listing...please. Ed Miracle, and...

This is the basketball forum.
That was boys basketball only.
I'd go with those three, plus probably Tim Saylor as the coach of two state runner-up teams.
HDE Wrote:This is the basketball forum.
That was boys basketball only.
I'd go with those three, plus probably Tim Saylor as the coach of two state runner-up teams.

Oh yeah, I kind of lost track of that. And I totally agree about Coach Saylor. Big "G" would be hard to leave off the hoops mtn. too. Redskin hoops in the late 70's was a fun time: Sam Hazen, "D"wayne Brock, Chris Hogue, "Crow" Cornett, Ed Leisge, Milt Gregory, Rick Blair...a stout group of ballers indeed. I'm sure I have unintentionally left someone off, I'm relying upon top of my head memories. Please be forgiving.
Cumberland
Football
Bobby Mcqulham
Freddy Maggard
George Massey, Charles Tinsley, Anthony Ravizee and Samford Baskins Hard to split these up.
Pee Wee Clark

Basketball
Lewis Morris
Paul Gafney
Eddie Creech led the team to the sweet 16
John Lewis

Baseball
Lewis Morris
Ottis Lewis
David Shoupe
Jeremy Terry

Just can go back to the 80's but I like the list
bradc Wrote:Who is the greatest eaters in hospitality room history?

Bob Sailor [Former band director for kcc]