Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 2015
In regaurds to scheduling, all of the non district games are really staples each year. Gotta have the backyard brawl w greenup, boyd co has always been on the sched and there have been some good battles between the 2 in the past even when one team is down. The added district games didnt leave much, if any room to do much else.
A schedule like that allows to play tough teams early on and see what u have to work on, then the district schedule to work on those things, then the district championship w probably Flemming to see just where ur at, then close out the season with a big time atmosphere game against a good opponent in Raceland to tell u just exactly where u stand going into the playoffs. Belfry returns almost everyone so its goina be tough to get past them. But Russell should be good for a good while. Lots of tallent coming up through the ranks, or so I am told.
Not so fast in declaring Fleming second in the district, as I believe they lose about 85% of their offensive production. Look For West and Lewis to challenge the Panthers for that second spot. I'd like to say Lewis could challenge Russell, but that is simply not in the cards for us the next few years at least unless some major changes occur.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:In regaurds to scheduling, all of the non district games are really staples each year. Gotta have the backyard brawl w greenup, boyd co has always been on the sched and there have been some good battles between the 2 in the past even when one team is down. The added district games didnt leave much, if any room to do much else.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep if Russell ended it's series with Boyd Co. for a while. It's not that I think Boyd's a weak opponent... I would just prefer a stronger one in their place. I love the idea of a series with Wheelersburg or Cabell Midland. It seems like KY schools rarely ever play WV schools, while KY and Ohio square off a handful of times every year in our area.

I'm very pleased to see the Rams back on the schedule. There's no good reason why that game shouldn't be played every year. With both programs in good shape, this should be a marquee game around these parts. Overall, I'm not crazy about the last regular season game being a non district game, but I don't think either team will have trouble getting up for next year's finale. This year's Pikeville game had a strange feel to it. When you've got some players banged up and your playoff seeding is set, it's not easy to get motivated to drive 3hrs away for difficult road game.
mightydog Wrote:Ive heard the freshman QB has a big arm. Does anyone think TJ would start him to have him for 3 years? Especialy since McKee is a pretty good runner that may do well in the slot position. Getting another skill kid out in space would really be a big plus for this offense. He could even be used in the wildcat some making it hard for teams to game plan for since they would never know how he was going to be used.

The Freshman QB has an excellent arm but I do believe McKee can make things happen when it's time to tuck it and run. Both have strengths but I'd say McKee will stay at QB since we are not hurting in the RB department.
It certainly looks like Russell will improve in 2015 but my question for the Russell faithful is do they have talent to come in and replace guys like Korzep, Suman, and Arnold at those positions that will come in and make an impact right away? Those 3 brought it every night and they will be missed.
Devils should drop football and start an all boys quilting relay team.
LClion4life Wrote:It certainly looks like Russell will improve in 2015 but my question for the Russell faithful is do they have talent to come in and replace guys like Korzep, Suman, and Arnold at those positions that will come in and make an impact right away? Those 3 brought it every night and they will be missed.
Korzep will be hard to replace. Aside from leadership, he was very productive on both sides of the ball. Offensively, there doesn't appear to be another back on the roster (Conley excluded) with the size and strength that Korzep had, except maybe Evan Ison. I don't know how much Evan will figure into the offense next year after only having a few carries this season. His greater value is probably at LB. Spencer Cole will probably get the bulk of Korzep's carries, but he is a different type of runner (smaller, faster, quicker). Russell has some good looking frosh and soph backs, but they are unproven at the varsity level (again, Conley excluded).

Arnold and Korzep were a great LB tandem. That position will be the hardest to fill for Russell on either side of the ball, IMO. Evan Ison appears to have the tools to be a star at LB for the next two years. Earlier in this thread I brought up the possibility of having Conner Slone move to LB from DE. The Devils should have more than enough depth on the DL to make that switch possible.

Logan Suman will also be missed, but there are a lot of very capable bodies ready to fill his positions. It's too early to predict who might have the inside track at Suman's OL spot. Defensively though, I look for Jacob Pierce to be the man at DE. Jacob is a 6'4" 210lb sophomore with a very high ceiling, if he puts in the work. Russell's DL should be very strong next year.
I agree. Jacob pierce looked very promising at times. Hopefully he can put on some good pounds and get stronger. 2 things that are very easy to do in a years time. Slone could be moved to middle LB. Doesn't lay the hammer down like Arnold (few do) but would be big and strong enough to take over. Max Blackburn does really well also. Someone who's name escapes me is the boy from Detroit. Only saw one JV game and he was all over the field at LB. Maybe a good choice as well. Bronson was a special player and to replacing him on Defense will be very difficult. He will be talked about in the future by fans along with Gross and K. Clark IMO.
Could the kid from Detroit be Tucker Brown #54? He wasn't on the roster to start the season, so I wasn't sure who he was until someone mentioned his name earlier. He's an impressive looking freshman and more than held his own on JV this year. It's going to be interesting to see who takes the field at LB next season.
No, he's not from Detroit Rock City.
Bultynck
I can't see McKee not being the QB for next year. The younger kid can gain experience playing behind him and in mop up time.
Congrats to our Devils who made All-Area. Montanez, Redden, Arnold, Korzep, and Brewer. Honorable Mention Ison, Miller, Peterman, Robinson, and Scott. TJ coach of the year as well. Anyone that watched the Grid last year and saw how much better the team had got with each game should definitely be excited for next season.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Congrats to our Devils who made All-Area. Montanez, Redden, Arnold, Korzep, and Brewer. Honorable Mention Ison, Miller, Peterman, Robinson, and Scott. TJ coach of the year as well. Anyone that watched the Grid last year and saw how much better the team had got with each game should definitely be excited for next season.
Conley, McKee, and Suman also made the team. Russell returns six All-Area selections next year.
Yea I was scanning over the paper. I think I looked over offense. Oops :-\ lol
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:A schedule like that allows to play tough teams early on and see what u have to work on, then the district schedule to work on those things, then the district championship w probably Flemming to see just where ur at, then close out the season with a big time atmosphere game against a good opponent in Raceland to tell u just exactly where u stand going into the playoffs. Belfry returns almost everyone so its goina be tough to get past them. But Russell should be good for a good while. Lots of tallent coming up through the ranks, or so I am told.

Not sure on your Fleming Co district championship game statement because that game, according to the schedule I know of, will happen in the 1st half of district play. It will be in weeks 5, 6, or 7.
I simply meant that the district will be between Flemming and Russell.
The Fleming Co. game is on 10/2. Bath Co. is the district finale at home on 10/23.

WILDCAT NATION, do you expect Bath Co./Russell to be the de facto championship game. I think Bath will make the playoffs, but I don't know enough about them to predict a second place finish. It would be nice to see an unfamiliar opponent rise up to challenge Russell. Have Russell and Bath Co. ever met on the gridiron?
samson81 Wrote:The Fleming Co. game is on 10/2. Bath Co. is the district finale at home on 10/23.

WILDCAT NATION, do you expect Bath Co./Russell to be the de facto championship game. I think Bath will make the playoffs, but I don't know enough about them to predict a second place finish. It would be nice to see an unfamiliar opponent rise up to challenge Russell. Have Russell and Bath Co. ever met on the gridiron?

Sort of like Lewis in 2011? When everybody all but crowned Russell the district champions after it seemed obvious Mason was uncharacteristically down, that season. I will say however that Russell hasn't been as big a favorite in the district like they are in 2015 since they were routinely making trips to the Semi-Finals and Papa John's Stadium.
Poppa Johns...those were the days!! Liked that venue mich better. Even though it was a little too big.
LClion4life Wrote:Sort of like Lewis in 2011? When everybody all but crowned Russell the district champions after it seemed obvious Mason was uncharacteristically down, that season. I will say however that Russell hasn't been as big a favorite in the district like they are in 2015 since they were routinely making trips to the Semi-Finals and Papa John's Stadium.
You guys had a good defense that year. ****** Powell Co., right? Hard to explain that one.

Was that the year Russell had a touchdown taken off the board late in the game because of an inadvertent whistle? I seem to remember Russell mostly dominating the first half, but only leading 7-0 at halftime.
samson81 Wrote:You guys had a good defense that year. ****** Powell Co., right? Hard to explain that one.

Was that the year Russell had a touchdown taken off the board late in the game because of an inadvertent whistle? I seem to remember Russell mostly dominating the first half, but only leading 7-0 at halftime.

It was 7-0 at halftime. Russell had the ball 1st and goal at the 2 right before the half and a holding call helped us with a great goalline stand as Russell's kicker missed a field goal as the half expired. And yes that was the game, but even if the play didn't have the inadvertant whistle, if it's called correctly, Russell has the ball where they recovered the football instead of the touchdown counting because it was a muffed punt that they recovered and the kicking team cannot advance a muffed punt. What really won the game for Lewis was after scoring their first touchdown making the score 7-6, Mike Mustard laid one of the hardest hits I've ever witnessed and jarred the ball loose from a Russell kick returner while simultaneously knocking himself out cold. Lewis recovered, Mustard is rushed to the hospital, and the Lions rallied to win the game by finishing off that drive and holding the Devils for the remainder of the fourth, intercepting Red Devil pass in the last minute that went right through one of their players hands and into the chest of our safety. An instant classic in my book, but I may be a little biased. :biggrin: And yeah, Coach Burchett and the Pirates had our number that year. Handing us 2 of our 3 losses on the season with both games being at home. They returned the first kick of the playoff game to the house and then recovered two consecutive onside kicks after scores, making it 21-0 before our offense hit the field. Hard to recover from that.
Sorry to get off topic guys, reliving the glory days. Wink Good luck to Russell in 2015. At the current time I do not seeing another district team challenging them, but you never know. I'm already anxious to see how the 2015 season unfolds.
samson81 Wrote:The Fleming Co. game is on 10/2. Bath Co. is the district finale at home on 10/23.

I did misunderstand your wording. My bad.

As for part 2.....I believe it's possible that the 10/23 game could be for the district title. Bath Co will return a much better team than anyone is going to expect given the last 2 seasons....but all the other 5 teams in the district know we all will have to play exceptionally well to beat Russell. Maynard is building a monster and we all know it.
I agree. Maynard is a great coach and really good at developing tallent. I think Russell's numbers will be up next season as well, which only adds to what the Red Devils may be capable of.

Idk about Bath. I saw them twice, on in the grid and on film against Nicholas County, whom they only beat by a TD. I know they return alot due to being very young the last few years, but I just didnt see anything out of them that makes me think they will finish nething better than 4th in that district.
Could you imagine what Lance Evans and Googie could have done with this style offense? Russell has had the talent. Just didn't use it.
Conservative play calling the last several years was frustrating to watch. The talent level definitely came down some, but not so much that they couldn't win more than 7 games a year. If you're going to run the wing-t today, you've got to open up the whole playbook. Scott Co. won the 6A title in 2013 running the wing-t (I know the talent level isn't comparable, but still).

Most years Russell isn't hurting for athletes across the board in all sports. This offense going forward, takes better advantage of what the Russell/Flatwoods community has to offer, IMO.
Merry Christmas to all.
Happy new year.