Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did your team start today?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Good point I never thought of. Its time to fall in line though...

Agreed.

I meant *every.
The big majority of the 50 coaches were let go, or moved to a more ideal program. Very few just quit. I do agree the time and expectations have risen as the pay has dropped.

A lot of this hinges on when school starts. If school started later in the year then you could bump dead period down to 3 weeks in July. This may solve the problem that some are having. It is hard to get 175 days in with Fall break and snow days without starting early.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Really want to go there? Kentucky far more than holds their own vs. Tennessee teams & it wouldn't be close in that department, just like it'd be if it were the other way around.

I'm just curious as to why East Tennessee teams like Alcoa,Greeneville and Maryville have powerhouse teams every year and could beat any team in Eastern Kentucky consistently.
pjdoug Wrote:I'm just curious as to why East Tennessee teams like Alcoa,Greeneville and Maryville have powerhouse teams every year and could beat any team in Eastern Kentucky consistently.
Dont mess with those green devils from greeneville Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:I'm just curious as to why East Tennessee teams like Alcoa,Greeneville and Maryville have powerhouse teams every year and could beat any team in Eastern Kentucky consistently.

Greeneville played Mercer County in 07 and 08. Mercer split with them. Mercer is far from what I'd call a powerhouse in KY, especially in those years where they were a game below .500 & the loss in 08 was at Greeneville & just by a TD. Both games were close matter of fact.

Alcoa smashed Bell one year. There aren't rural teams in North GA or Western NC that could match Alcoa and Maryville. TN teams can't.
Cardfan1 Wrote:The big majority of the 50 coaches were let go, or moved to a more ideal program. Very few just quit. I do agree the time and expectations have risen as the pay has dropped.

A lot of this hinges on when school starts. If school started later in the year then you could bump dead period down to 3 weeks in July. This may solve the problem that some are having. It is hard to get 175 days in with Fall break and snow days without starting early.

Many were let go. Many got out Very few left to take better jobs.

By my count, only 2 jobs for sure were due to coaches playing leap frog:

Woodford County (coach left for Jtown)
Mason County (coach left for Mercer)
Cardfan1 Wrote:The big majority of the 50 coaches were let go, or moved to a more ideal program. Very few just quit. I do agree the time and expectations have risen as the pay has dropped.

KY did it for years. Snow days didn't just obviously come about as you know.

Most districts actually put the calendars up for a vote amongst all employees. Fact is, early starts aren't going anywhere unless they are nixed by the powers to be.

The Momma's who teach have this on lock down. They love them some fall break It's not going anywhere unless made to go away.

As for Alcoa? A lot of that has to do with the same reasons why Louisville Central has done the same thing to EKY teams.

Rural? Not sure I'd call it that. It's more or less a suburb of Knoxville, as is Maryville. The demographics of the population on the field? Very much the same, especially Alcoa.

With their proximity to Knoxville, I wouldn't even call them rural. There is nothing in EKY that I would remotely compare to the Knoxville/Alcoa/Maryville area.
Mason named the coach a few days after Buchanan left. Thomas something, I forget his name.

Let's not paint Alcoa and Maryville as if it is some rural team in Appalachia though.

Those are essentially extended suburbs of Knoxville..pretty strong population base much like a Scott County or John Hardin would be in Kentucky.

Greeneville may be a bit overstated to their prowess. If you ask Harlan County I am sure they would tell you they would think Johnson Central and Belfry would have went toe to toe with Greeneville these past couple years.

On that note, Belfry beat CAK on the road without half the Pirate team in 2013 (the year after CAK was back to back Champs in Alcoa's Class) and smacked down CAK just as bad as Alcoa in 2014. Belfry steps up and plays a Knoxville Catholic team the next two years that typically is a strong team as well. For comparison sake Alcoa beat Knox. Cath 21-14 last year.

In the end it isn't about East, West, North, or South...it comes down to talent pool and population base.

Greenville= 15,000 Population
Alcoa/Maryville=36,000 (the two are essentially the same town)

The biggest city in EKY is Ashland and it is only 21,000 and has like 8 schools within 15 miles of it (Ashland, Boyd, Russell, Raceland, Fairview, South Point, Huntington, Spring Valley, Ironton, etc)..

Ive thought about how coaches usually stick to the game no matter what happens in there careers. If theyre horrible, theyll still be coaching somewhere.

Then i thought about coaches in general. Lets say a coach does decide to just quit coaching. Sure, some of them are teachers and can just live a normal teacher life, but why not coach if youre going to be around it all the time anyways? Also, unless its some job that pays ridiculous money, they'll never leave to do anything else. Once you get into coaching, its extremely difficult to stop no matter where youre at. And what else would they do? They don't want to do anything else. If you coach, its because you love the game. If you didn't like the game, you wouldn't coach just to kill time. Hell, you don't even have to like kids, but once you coach, I assume it would be nearly impossible to ever do anything else. You cant change your identity no matter what you do, even if your a celebrity begging for attention and start dressing like a woman for press and money, your still you.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:As for Alcoa? A lot of that has to do with the same reasons why Louisville Central has done the same thing to EKY teams.

Rural? Not sure I'd call it that. It's more or less a suburb of Knoxville, as is Maryville. The demographics of the population on the field? Very much the same, especially Alcoa.

With their proximity to Knoxville, I wouldn't even call them rural. There is nothing in EKY that I would remotely compare to the Knoxville/Alcoa/Maryville area.

Alcoa is less than 20 miles from Knoxville,but the city is about the size of Corbin or smaller.Paris is even comparable to Alcoa. Richmond is a bigger city than Maryville yes there isn't a team in Madison County that could hang with Maryville.,...I'm just curious as to why Kentucky high school football ain't played at the high level as surrounding states.I think there is more to it than population.
pjdoug Wrote:Alcoa is less than 20 miles from Knoxville,but the city is about the size of Corbin or smaller.Paris is even comparable to Alcoa. Richmond is a bigger city than Maryville yes there isn't a team in Madison County that could hang with Maryville.,...I'm just curious as to why Kentucky high school football ain't played at the high level as surrounding states.I think there is more to it than population.
Not many teams that could hang with Maryville period. Yeah our powerhouses in the state maybe but year in and year out Maryville is always at or near the top. I always chalked it up to being close to Knoxville but like you said Madison county is close to Lexington and they surely couldnt handle Maryville. Population I dont think is the difference either.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Let's not paint Alcoa and Maryville as if it is some rural team in Appalachia though.

Those are essentially extended suburbs of Knoxville..pretty strong population base much like a Scott County or John Hardin would be in Kentucky.

Greeneville may be a bit overstated to their prowess. If you ask Harlan County I am sure they would tell you they would think Johnson Central and Belfry would have went toe to toe with Greeneville these past couple years.

On that note, Belfry beat CAK on the road without half the Pirate team in 2013 (the year after CAK was back to back Champs in Alcoa's Class) and smacked down CAK just as bad as Alcoa in 2014. Belfry steps up and plays a Knoxville Catholic team the next two years that typically is a strong team as well. For comparison sake Alcoa beat Knox. Cath 21-14 last year.

In the end it isn't about East, West, North, or South...it comes down to talent pool and population base.

Greenville= 15,000 Population
Alcoa/Maryville=36,000 (the two are essentially the same town)

The biggest city in EKY is Ashland and it is only 21,000 and has like 8 schools within 15 miles of it (Ashland, Boyd, Russell, Raceland, Fairview, South Point, Huntington, Spring Valley, Ironton, etc)..

I despise going through the puzzle that is CoachT or any other Tennessee site for that matter, ive been meaning to ask since last year if you would post CAK schedule and scores from the last few years Belfry has played them.

Your right about the Knoxville teams as is the other poster. You could consider teams like Alcoa, Maryville, etc. the same way you look at Henry Clay, Dunbar, etc in accordance with Lexington.
And youre right about Ashland having the biggest population of a city in EKY, but its one of the few exceptions where the county doesn't rule the overall population. Most towns in EKY were setup to where they were small in size, never moved to annex larger acres of land, and rely on citizens in the county to come town to work, as total land area for the county is usually pretty large. There are a few towns in EKY (well if you consider the ones im talking about EKY) that has many more visitors and workers every day than Ashland and Boyd County. Theyre also larger in size overall as counties. Corbin, for example, only has around 9,000 population. But when it comes to work forces, thousands come from Whitley, Knox, and Laurel counties to Corbin every day. If Corbin was allowed to annex North Corbin and everywhere that's considered Corbin but isn't into there city limits, I would imagine the population would rise by a crazy amount. Pike, Pulaski, and Laurel Counties are by far the biggest two counties in EKY, if you can count them.
even the Oneida Indians are tough to beat most years.
Oh, and EKU, while looking at some old Whitley records to shut up Pulaski County USA a minute ago, I remember the conversation we had about past games between Whitley and Belfry.

You'd be amazed how often the two either played or was one win away from playing.
From what I can tell, almost every game was a Belfry win, however, almost every single games was a single digit win, even when Belfry had a really good year. Most of those games came in the second round of the playoffs where Whitley was a two seed behind Bell and met Belfry who was usually a one seed.
Some pretty cool info I found there. Ill post them one day if I get a chance. Ive also got some old brackets that have been around for three plus decades now, and also, the history site everyone uses is great for that.
pjdoug Wrote:Alcoa is less than 20 miles from Knoxville,but the city is about the size of Corbin or smaller.Paris is even comparable to Alcoa. Richmond is a bigger city than Maryville yes there isn't a team in Madison County that could hang with Maryville.,...I'm just curious as to why Kentucky high school football ain't played at the high level as surrounding states.I think there is more to it than population.

I wouldn't call TN playing at a high level. Matter of fact, I'm not so sure the state of TN is that much better (if any) than KY. That whole area is one big suburb of K-town..makes a difference.

I'd compare Scott County to Alcoa more so than I would Corbin in terms of proximity to Lex/Knoxville, respectively Or even Highlands for that matter if we are talking the same size school. I believe they are in different classes than the other, but using enrollment I don't believe they are.

Indiana football isn't played at that high of a level, no more than KY. West Virginia sure doesn't. Snap off the whole Northeast corner of Illinois & all that is the State of Chicago being it's own as far as population goes, and they aren't either. A push. Ohio is the only clear cut favorite.

Population has everything to do with it. The demographics within that population have everything to do with it. Take an all star team from the Top 5 programs in EKY, then take one from Louisville made up of the same amount of teams (and, Louisville Central probably isn't even in that Top 5, if so, they're the 5th and that's a stretch) Who is winning with a running clock mid way through the 2nd quarter?