Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 week to go, 15th Region Rankings
Tomorrow
This year's 57th District is one example of a positive for a super regional. It's upsetting to know that either JC, SC, or Magoffin will not make it to regions playing the caliber basketball they are playing, and two teams from the 58th will. Nothing personal meant for the 58th, but they are very weak this year and have little chance, in my opinion, of making it deep into the tournament.
Basketballmom41 Wrote:This year's 57th District is one example of a positive for a super regional. It's upsetting to know that either JC, SC, or Magoffin will not make it to regions playing the caliber basketball they are playing, and two teams from the 58th will. Nothing personal meant for the 58th, but they are very weak this year and have little chance, in my opinion, of making it deep into the tournament.

Great point.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I thought South Floyd beat Magoffin the other night!
1. Johnson Central
2. Magoffin County
3. Sheldon Clark
4. Pikeville (playing great right now)
5. South Floyd (Can make some noise on a neutral court in my opinion)
6. Lawrence County (Timmy Dalton would have to absolutely ball out I believe, even more than he already has.)

Outside of these teams I don't see anyone getting to Rupp. I believe it will be out of the 57th though. A shame one of those 3 teams wont make it to region. Super Regional just came a year too late for them I guess.
[quote=Bigbluefanatic]Hasn't backfired on Belfry's football program and they have recruited for years...[/QUOTE

Well we must be really good at it then because we've had a sports program since 1925 and we've never been caught lol why don't you call and turn us in LMAO
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I thought South Floyd beat Magoffin the other night!
They held their own against Sheldon Clark while their center played with a sprained wrist.
1. Johnson Central's gym
2. Pike County Central's gym
3. Shelby Valley's gym
4. Prestonsburg's gym
5. Magoffin County's gym
6. Belfry's gym
7. Pikeville's gym
8. Lawrence County's gym
9. South Floyd's gym
10. Allen Central's gym
11. Betsy Layne's gym
12. Paintsville's gym
13. Sheldon Clark's gym
14. Piarist School's gym

999. East Kentucky Expo Center
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Outside of Johnson Central....this region is horrible.

The entire region is terrible.
The entire region is not terrible, it's got its good teams and bad teams . Just like other regions .
I agree. These are kids doing their best. No need to slam them as much as I've read recently. Every region has its ups and downs.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Outside of Johnson Central....this region is horrible.

PHSFAN Wrote:The entire region is terrible.

basketball101 Wrote:The entire region is not terrible, it's got its good teams and bad teams . Just like other regions .

Broken Play18 Wrote:I agree. These are kids doing their best. No need to slam them as much as I've read recently. Every region has its ups and downs.

The 15th is weird this year. Nobody has separated themselves from the rest of the field. In 2010, we knew Shelby Valley was gonna win the state championship.... last season we knew it was gonna be a two-horse race between JC and Lawrence County. Not this season, we really don't have a clear cut favorite. When a potential favorite gets beat by a team people don't see as a favorite., they seem to think basketball is weak in the entire region.
I've watched a lot of high school basketball this year...from all across the state. Say what you will...but the 15th region is absolutely the worst in the state. It's not even close. Very sad. I remember a lot of good teams and great players running up and down the hardwood throughout the entire region. However....that is no longer the case. Football rules this region....maybe more than any other region in Kentucky.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I've watched a lot of high school basketball this year...from all across the state. Say what you will...but the 15th region is absolutely the worst in the state. It's not even close. Very sad. I remember a lot of good teams and great players running up and down the hardwood throughout the entire region. However....that is no longer the case. Football rules this region....maybe more than any other region in Kentucky.

Football, Wrestling & Baseball have become the big sports in this region.

Football - Belfry, JC & Pikeville all have won state titles in the past two seasons.
Wrestling - JC is ranked as one of the top teams in the state and are one of the favorites for the team state title this season.
Baseball - JC made it to the Elite 8 last season and are a favorite for the state team title this season.

Basketball is not what it used to be in the 15th.
Seems like most people on here think the winner comes out of the 57th.

Personally, I think Pikeville is playing the best of anyone right now. I say the Panthers make their first trip to Rupp in a LONG time.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Seems like most people on here think the winner comes out of the 57th.

Personally, I think Pikeville is playing the best of anyone right now. I say the Panthers make their first trip to Rupp in a LONG time.

I completely agree.
Pikeville is on another level right now. And I was a critic at the start of the season.
More Cowbell Wrote:Seems like most people on here think the winner comes out of the 57th.

KingGotNext Wrote:I completely agree.
Pikeville is on another level right now. And I was a critic at the start of the season.

What is Pikeville's best win this season?

[Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/att...1487115188]
U have kids from Lenore, Matewan and delbarton all of which are as close or closer to Mingo central than to belfry, don't have a dog in it but belfry was getting WV kids long before Mingo Central.... Just saying
Weak schedule
Against Magoffin County at home by 17. Their 11-2 the past 13 I believe. One of those losses were at the 13th Region leader Harlan County by 5. They play Magoffin tonight on the road. I think they can win this Region honestly. If any team wins it that doesn't come out of the 57th its definitely these guys in my opinion.
Gsjhe Wrote:Against Magoffin County at home by 17. Their 11-2 the past 13 I believe. One of those losses were at the 13th Region leader Harlan County by 5. They play Magoffin tonight on the road. I think they can win this Region honestly. If any team wins it that doesn't come out of the 57th its definitely these guys in my opinion.

Is that your Ace in the Hole.... a win vs. Magoffin County at home??? They were coming off of a 99-98 Double OT win vs. Sheldon Clark... and Magoffin County isn't really that good.
Two of the wins are vs. The Piarist School
The Florida team they beat has a loosing record this year.
Two wins vs. a struggling Allen Central team.
Two wins vs. a struggling East Ridge team.
Two wins vs. a not-so-good Shelby Valley team.
A win vs. Belfry and Pike County Central... C'mon Man.

Let's be real here, that isn't saying much.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Is that your Ace in the Hole.... a win vs. Magoffin County at home??? They were coming off of a 99-98 Double OT win vs. Sheldon Clark... and Magoffin County isn't really that good.
Two of the wins are vs. The Piarist School
The Florida team they beat has a loosing record this year.
Two wins vs. a struggling Allen Central team.
Two wins vs. a struggling East Ridge team.
Two wins vs. a not-so-good Shelby Valley team.
A win vs. Belfry and Pike County Central... C'mon Man.

Let's be real here, that isn't saying much.

Im in no way saying they had a good schedule. What im saying is outside the 57th I don't see a team with a better chance to win the region. Whatever teams comes out of that district are the favorites. Im not really a big fan of Pikeville or their schedule. Someone asked what was their best win and I answered the question. Honestly I think going to Harlan and only losing by 5 is the most impressive thing I see on their schedule. But other than the obvious choices for the region id go with these guys. I mean who else other than the 57th could do it you think? Because I got no one. Maybe Lawrence if Timmy plays even more out of his mind than he usually does. But other than that I have nothing.
I think Magoffin's win tonight over Pikeville changes things up. I'm picking them to win it all.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Is that your Ace in the Hole.... a win vs. Magoffin County at home??? They were coming off of a 99-98 Double OT win vs. Sheldon Clark... and Magoffin County isn't really that good.

Oh, please. Magoffin had 3 days between those two games. Don't act like they were too tired to play. That's just an excuse, and a bad one at that.

Magoffin has split two games with Johnson this year, as well as split 2 games with Sheldon Clark. Looks like those 3 teams are all fairly similar to me.

If Magoffin isn't that good this year, then apparently no one in the 57th is any good.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pikeville is good but they're a one trick poney imo. None of their players are above average except Wyatt.
Taking an L last night against Magoffin County proved my point.... 1 point or 100 points. An L is and L.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Taking an L last night against Magoffin County proved my point.... 1 point or 100 points. An L is and L.

I don't have a dog in this fight but JC also lost at Magoffin earlier this year. It doesn't really prove anything.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Taking an L last night against Magoffin County proved my point.... 1 point or 100 points. An L is and L.

I don't really think it proved anything. JC lost there earlier this year. So did Sheldon Clark. You made it sound like Pikeville cant be competitive with those teams. A one point loss may still be a lose but they were in it the whole game. Was up by 6 at halftime. Like I said before out of all the teams in the 15th I probably dislike Pikeville the most. So don't get the impression that i'm for Pikeville or anything. But losing by one on the road to a good team doesn't prove that you cant compete in the least bit.
There are 4 teams that could win this region, JC, SC, Magoffin, all who are in the 57th. Pikeville from the 59th. Everybody can say what they will, but one of these 4 teams will win the region. Only 3 of them will make it into the tournament. Beyond these teams, the 15th is the weakest I have ever seen it. Next year will be even worse. I'm not sure what is taking place, but if things don't change, basketball in this region is dying out like so many jobs here.
Pikeville does seem to be playing good right now and as a Pikeville High fan I'm glad to see them getting some W's. In any other region I wouldn't think they would have a chance though to win a region title, however the 15th is so average who knows maybe the Panthers will make their first trip to Rupp in 18(i think)years. I would love to see Coach Justice build a solid program at Pikeville that can seriously challenge most years to win the 15th region. I do think the opportunity is there but will it happen? I'm apprehensive while optimistic.