Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Summer Transfers
Any eligibility issues? Enrolling to play in summer, then re-enrolling to former school. I see possibilities of problems.
I don't think I've see anyone have eligiblity issues over what happens in the summer. I could be wrong, but my guess is the KHSAA would not even have to rule on her. It's as if she never left, since she never actually played a game that counts for another school.
The only potential problem would have been trying to get eligible at a school you enrolled in before you actually moved.
HCS Wrote:I don't think I've see anyone have eligiblity issues over what happens in the summer. I could be wrong, but my guess is the KHSAA would not even have to rule on her. It's as if she never left, since she never actually played a game that counts for another school.
The only potential problem would have been trying to get eligible at a school you enrolled in before you actually moved.

This is correct. The KHSAA does not have any control over players summer activities with the exception of the two week Dead Period, which would affect schools that have summer teams.

However, according to some post on this thread there is some type of proposal that may change that to more KHSAA control next summer, if it passes with enough votes.
Ball Dad Wrote:She is a great player and makes the girls she plays with better. South laurel got better as a team this summer and as for chemistry, it's better now than it was before she got there. Looks like envy has reared its ugly head. Lol. SL is a great team with a great coach and some great players.

I don't think many coaches would agree to play her if the parents told the coach they were just playing there for June to get some more games. As for no ones minutes affected, that can't be true. Obviously somebody's minutes went to her. It's easy to get better as a team when you have the best player on the floor.

With all that said, if the coach wasn't told it was just for the Summer, then i understand. But if he was, and I was a SL Player or parent, i'd be pretty upset that the coach was developing other kids over my own.

Again, I see no issue from the players standpoint as long as they were upfront.
ProudPanther Wrote:I don't think many coaches would agree to play her if the parents told the coach they were just playing there for June to get some more games. As for no ones minutes affected, that can't be true. Obviously somebody's minutes went to her. It's easy to get better as a team when you have the best player on the floor.

With all that said, if the coach wasn't told it was just for the Summer, then i understand. But if he was, and I was a SL Player or parent, i'd be pretty upset that the coach was developing other kids over my own.

Again, I see no issue from the players standpoint as long as they were upfront.

Good thing your opinion means nothing to SL basketball team lol...
South will have a 7 girl rotation and one of those girls didn't play summer ball.. So no, no ones minutes were bothered this summer lol
I doubt Coach Walker cares what any parent thinks! lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
you can say that all you want. but if someone played big minutes this summer that won't play this fall, then 100% someone's minutes were affected. And he better care what the parents think, the parents got the last coach fired.
You'll beat KC either way, so it's not a big deal here. But I've seen first hand the affects that unhappy parents have and what happens.....
ProudPanther Wrote:you can say that all you want. but if someone played big minutes this summer that won't play this fall, then 100% someone's minutes were affected. And he better care what the parents think, the parents got the last coach fired.
I promise the parents didnt get the last coach fired. The number of things that guy did if everybody knew it all would shock you. He got his self fired. He didnt need any help.
ProudPanther Wrote:you can say that all you want. but if someone played big minutes this summer that won't play this fall, then 100% someone's minutes were affected. And he better care what the parents think, the parents got the last coach fired.

ProudPanther Wrote:You'll beat KC either way, so it's not a big deal here. But I've seen first hand the affects that unhappy parents have and what happens.....

That might be part of the problem for your team...
Stop worrying if the parents are happy or not... It's simple, if u don't like things don't play!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i think a player comes in and plays the summer knowing they aren't going to stay, and the coach knows that too.. and he still plays her... that's not acting in the best interest of his program. it can't be seen that way. play with the hand your dealt. work hard. show some loyalty to the players who were with you all last year (and for 9-10 years for a lot of them). And don't go chasing the unicorn... that's what i'm saying. But hey if everyone in SL is happy with what happened. Then i've got no issues. to each their own desire and wants. Good luck this year, you have a very talented team that should contend for a region title.
Man I love Unicorns
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:This is correct. The KHSAA does not have any control over players summer activities with the exception of the two week Dead Period, which would affect schools that have summer teams.

However, according to some post on this thread there is some type of proposal that may change that to more KHSAA control next summer, if it passes with enough votes.

I agree that summer ball is different than in season, but it seems like it would be an issue if there was actual enrollment. It means zero to me, and I wish nothing bad for the young lady. Just seems that when the word enrollment is thrown out, it could possibly change how the KHSAA interprets things.
The KHSAA would have had to make a ruling to make her eligible at South during the regular season, since she didn't play there last year. Until he/she is ruled eligible at another school, the player is always eligible at the old school, from what I've seen in the past. Someone has to make a request for a transfer for the KHSAA to get involved.
HCS Wrote:The KHSAA would have had to make a ruling to make her eligible at South during the regular season, since she didn't play there last year. Until he/she is ruled eligible at another school, the player is always eligible at the old school, from what I've seen in the past. Someone has to make a request for a transfer for the KHSAA to get involved.
i requested a unicorn and got a fairy tale. Lol.
walterwhite Wrote:I agree that summer ball is different than in season, but it seems like it would be an issue if there was actual enrollment. It means zero to me, and I wish nothing bad for the young lady. Just seems that when the word enrollment is thrown out, it could possibly change how the KHSAA interprets things.
t

Lets be honest here, the reason the South Laurel coach allowed her to play is because he wanted her to play this fall and she used it like a summer ball recruiting trip to see how well she liked it. I'm sure there are others doing similar things. Hopefully she will be eligible whichever school she chooses.
So does this put HC back at the top... Then North and South neck to neck?
It doesn't change anything as far as rankings. Harlan County was going to be ranked first either way with two all-staters and five starters back from a 28-win team. South will still be second with North third and Clay fourth. I think any of those four have a shot.
I think I'm right when I say that "IF" SL coach is trying to use summer ball to "lure" her over, that's a blatant violation. Just because it's summer doesn't open the door for coaches to try and recruit players under the umbrella that it's " summer" and khsaa doesn't regulate ..

The last coach got the last coach fired! SL had to protect it's players. If you think parents have control at SL then you don't know SL.
Conductor Wrote:I think I'm right when I say that "IF" SL coach is trying to use summer ball to "lure" her over, that's a blatant violation. Just because it's summer doesn't open the door for coaches to try and recruit players under the umbrella that it's " summer" and khsaa doesn't regulate ..

I don't follow the high school sports as much as I once did but I think I'm correct in saying that athletes from other schools playing on other school's summer teams is not uncommon throughout Kentucky. What I mean to say is not an isolated thing at just a few schools. It occurs frequently. There was no "recruiting" for future commitment.

I think the situation here was SL had a demanding schedule and by adding her this summer it helped her and the SL players too. Good players help good players and make them better. It was a win-win. Macie had a few weeks break from her Kentucky Premier AAU team and this filled in the void until they resumed play again in July. The enrollment was only for insurance liability purposes only, otherwise it would not have happened. Macie was always going to be a Lady Owls in her last year of high school. If she had not felt that way then she would have waited to enroll after the family moved to London. A student/athlete has to establish a residence in the district before enrolling. This is not an unusual or different occurrence as some are portraying it. It happens every summer all across the state.
I'm just catching back up on this thread and I've got a couple of observations, while keeping in mind that I wish no bad on the girl and hope she plays at owsley or wherever she wants...with that said...

1. Hopefully the khsaa stays out of summer ball. They screw up enough as is. To many kids play with travel teams and some kids only chances are to play with there school when they can't afford travel ball. I personally think a kid should be able to do whatever they want in the summer and it's no business of the khsaas what they're doing.

With that said a couple of issues since it is possible this could be trouble or be changed soon to stop this....
1. I understand enrolling. The school would have been responsible insurance wise for her since she was playing with the school team and coached by the coach of the school. However, what is to stop an entire football team from transferring in the summer to another school to get "better" and then transferring back? FULL scrimmages all summer would help greatly I imagine....

2. As someone else stated, you can claim over and over that south only has a 6 player rotation, but this is still a stupid move on souths part. Chemistry is a real thing. It completely makes everything you did this summer from what will happen during season.
Heard Williamsburg is getting a transfer out of Tenn, was told she will provide immediate help...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I'm just catching back up on this thread and I've got a couple of observations, while keeping in mind that I wish no bad on the girl and hope she plays at owsley or wherever she wants...with that said...

1. Hopefully the khsaa stays out of summer ball. They screw up enough as is. To many kids play with travel teams and some kids only chances are to play with there school when they can't afford travel ball. I personally think a kid should be able to do whatever they want in the summer and it's no business of the khsaas what they're doing.

With that said a couple of issues since it is possible this could be trouble or be changed soon to stop this....
1. I understand enrolling. The school would have been responsible insurance wise for her since she was playing with the school team and coached by the coach of the school. However, what is to stop an entire football team from transferring in the summer to another school to get "better" and then transferring back? FULL scrimmages all summer would help greatly I imagine....

2. As someone else stated, you can claim over and over that south only has a 6 player rotation, but this is still a stupid move on souths part. Chemistry is a real thing. It completely makes everything you did this summer from what will happen during season.
I agree with you on the KHSAA needs to stay out of summer activities of student/atheletes. They have enough on their plate just managing basketball rules and regulations during the school year.
[quote=LOOKAYANNER]I don't follow the high school sports as much as I once did but I think I'm correct in saying that athletes from other schools playing on other school's summer teams is not uncommon throughout Kentucky. What I mean to say is not an isolated thing at just a few schools. It occurs frequently. There was no "recruiting" for future commitment.

I think the situation here was SL had a demanding schedule and by adding her this summer it helped her and the SL players too. Good players help good players and make them better. It was a win-win. Macie had a few weeks break from her Kentucky Premier AAU team and this filled in the void until they resumed play again in July. The enrollment was only for insurance liability purposes only, otherwise it would not have happened. Macie was always going to be a Lady Owls in her last year of high school. If she had not felt that way then she would have waited to enroll after the family moved to London. A student/athlete has to establish a residence in the district before enrolling. This is not an unusual or different occurrence as some are portraying it. It happens every summer all across the state.[/QUOTE

That may be the most insane thing i've ever heard. It was good for both? They knew she wasn't coming and still let here play. It's not common. In fact, i've never heard of this situation. Bottom line is that somebody's minutes suffered. Everyone's role was different. To try and make this sound like it was a positive for SL is crazy. High school teams shouldn't be treated like AAU. Players shouldn't be allowed to come and go from different schools.
I can't believe anyone at SL other than coach knew she wasn't going to be a Lady Card in the fall. If they did, there needs to be an investigation.
ProudPanther Wrote:[quote=LOOKAYANNER]I don't follow the high school sports as much as I once did but I think I'm correct in saying that athletes from other schools playing on other school's summer teams is not uncommon throughout Kentucky. What I mean to say is not an isolated thing at just a few schools. It occurs frequently. There was no "recruiting" for future commitment.

I think the situation here was SL had a demanding schedule and by adding her this summer it helped her and the SL players too. Good players help good players and make them better. It was a win-win. Macie had a few weeks break from her Kentucky Premier AAU team and this filled in the void until they resumed play again in July. The enrollment was only for insurance liability purposes only, otherwise it would not have happened. Macie was always going to be a Lady Owls in her last year of high school. If she had not felt that way then she would have waited to enroll after the family moved to London. A student/athlete has to establish a residence in the district before enrolling. This is not an unusual or different occurrence as some are portraying it. It happens every summer all across the state.[/QUOTE

That may be the most insane thing i've ever heard. It was good for both? They knew she wasn't coming and still let here play. It's not common. In fact, i've never heard of this situation. Bottom line is that somebody's minutes suffered. Everyone's role was different. To try and make this sound like it was a positive for SL is crazy. High school teams shouldn't be treated like AAU. Players shouldn't be allowed to come and go from different schools.
I can't believe anyone at SL other than coach knew she wasn't going to be a Lady Card in the fall. If they did, there needs to be an investigation.
You can call me insane if you want but the proof is in the fact that the enrollment was made without a change of residence in advance, which would make eligibility at SL impossible.
Once again, her enrollment was for liability purposes only, not to change schools.
If there had been serious dialogue from either side about a permanent transfer I'm sure the parents moving to London before the enrollment would have been discussed. That never was the intention of either party in my opinion. If it had been things would have been handled quite a bit differently.
this is my last post on this, since it really doesn't affect my school. It' just so crazy i can't leave it alone.

Several things defies logic

1) That the player and school, magically wound up together. Did the player just call the coach and ask if she could play this Summer? Did the coach call the player and say come play with us this summer then go back to OC, it will make us both better? Or did they just throw a dart at a map? Crazy stuff here. Seems like the coach might have reached out here, that's the only thing that makes sense. I'm sure she didn't just show up one day out of the blue

2) that a coach would know a player wasn't staying and let her have a big role anyway during the summer. Again, no issue with the player. But the coach just hurt his team, if he knew 100% it was just for the Summer. That makes no sense. It doesn't help your team to play with a really good player, learn to work her into the offense, let her take whatever percentage of the shots, play whatever percentage of the minutes and then take it all away. Any coach who had an arrangement like that isn't putting his teams best interests at heart.

3) That no one at the school beyond the coaching staff asked questions. Again, The Principal, AD, etc all should be serving the interests of the school and students they are at. how does renting a player for the summer serve that schools interests. I can't believe they knew it was only for the Summer.

4) I have no clue who would have been the 5th starter this Summer, but I can imagine that they weren't happy about their Summer Role being cut back. And I can't imagine a coach wanting to cut the role of someone who was going to start next year. That makes zero sense. Every coach wants to win, and you don't get there by limiting minutes of a player who is on your team for someone who plays at another school.

ok, i'm done. lol Good luck to all!
ProudPanther Wrote:this is my last post on this, since it really doesn't affect my school. It' just so crazy i can't leave it alone.

Several things defies logic

1) That the player and school, magically wound up together. Did the player just call the coach and ask if she could play this Summer? Did the coach call the player and say come play with us this summer then go back to OC, it will make us both better? Or did they just throw a dart at a map? Crazy stuff here. Seems like the coach might have reached out here, that's the only thing that makes sense. I'm sure she didn't just show up one day out of the blue

2) that a coach would know a player wasn't staying and let her have a big role anyway during the summer. Again, no issue with the player. But the coach just hurt his team, if he knew 100% it was just for the Summer. That makes no sense. It doesn't help your team to play with a really good player, learn to work her into the offense, let her take whatever percentage of the shots, play whatever percentage of the minutes and then take it all away. Any coach who had an arrangement like that isn't putting his teams best interests at heart.

3) That no one at the school beyond the coaching staff asked questions. Again, The Principal, AD, etc all should be serving the interests of the school and students they are at. how does renting a player for the summer serve that schools interests. I can't believe they knew it was only for the Summer.

4) I have no clue who would have been the 5th starter this Summer, but I can imagine that they weren't happy about their Summer Role being cut back. And I can't imagine a coach wanting to cut the role of someone who was going to start next year. That makes zero sense. Every coach wants to win, and you don't get there by limiting minutes of a player who is on your team for someone who plays at another school.

ok, i'm done. lol Good luck to all!

I cannot imagine the AD knowing she was there just for the summer. He seems to be doing a good job at South Laurel and just doesnt appear to be the type who would allow this to happen. Maybe the coach went rogue on this or possibly he was misled.
I'm done with this thread too.

But before exiting I will add, though, that players who play for other schools teams for a week or so in summers is not as uncommon as some of these posts make it appear to be,
Now, if I were a coach I believe I'd probably rather work only with my team's players during the summer, but different coaches have different philosophies.
Not a tick off this old dog but, if she enrolled the coach can not keep her from playing. I believe the summer rules for khsaa is that you can not turn any enrolled students away. You can also not "legally" take role or use that against a player if they do not play. He could have dressed her but not played her but if I was guessing the coach was playing her in HOPES of her staying. She is a special player who will be playing college somewhere a year for now. We can argue what is ethical or right here all day long but it is like playing the lottery. The coach risked some development time for kids who had been subs for a chance at a really good player. IF she would have stayed South would have been in my opinion (no one get upset) a slight favorite to win the region. No not preseason number 1 but by the end of the year I think so. Now with what they have they are still very good but I believe they are at least second and more like third to me. They will miss Davis and Reynolds who graduated. I know I hear they are going to be one more short but who knows that could just be summer rumors probably. This does happen a lot on the boys side but it usually plays out that they stay so no one thinks twice about it. I won't say it's right but I would say most coaches would lay out the red carpet and pray that she stays. Everyone knows I'm not a South fan so I'm not defending anything and like proudpanther said about his team I will say they will still beat Corbin this year too so if she stayed or left we won't be winning the district this year either way.
Just curious, did owsley play summer ball?