Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2017-18
One thing I've learned from following Blair Green and Jordan Brock the past few years is that 90 percent of college recruiting is based on AAU basketball in the spring.
The Herald Leader had Gibson as second team all-state last year playing at Owsley, so she isn't exactly a forgotten player.
Olred Wrote:playing in state does some... no gaurantees in that though. Even if South is the team to beat with her (in the 13th) which I would say so but others wouldn't... still no guarantee that they win. Even if they do South went to the final four back in 2005 and it didn't seem to help recruitment for most of them. I would also argue that for everyone going to play division 1 isn't necessarily a better situation. Western men have tradition but if you gave me a choice between someone like d1 morehead women who has had 4 winning seasons in like 20 years or a Mid South team like a UC or Campbellsville who traditionally always wins and could win a national championship I would prefer the later. I know most would think I'm saying this stuff because I'm a Corbin guy wanting her to go back but I'm not. I'm perfectly fine with whatever she thinks is better for her.
oh I agree there is no guarantees. I just saying that their will b college coaches at Mercer vs south laurel. There will b at franklin vs south. South has a shot at winning 13th and playing in state. Owsley does not. That's my only point there. Several teams can beat south so no sure thing. I agree about college choices but you still want to have every opportunity possible. I went to Florida and played for two years. Hated it. Loved Florida but hated my team. Came back home and had the most fun playing basketball I ever had right here at Sue Bennett. Who knew.
HCS Wrote:One thing I've learned from following Blair Green and Jordan Brock the past few years is that 90 percent of college recruiting is based on AAU basketball in the spring.
The Herald Leader had Gibson as second team all-state last year playing at Owsley, so she isn't exactly a forgotten player.
you are exactly right. April may are huge July is even bigger for aau recruitment. I been doing it a long time. A kid could actually never play high school and be as well off recruiting wise 90 percent of time for ur mid to top talent
HCS Wrote:One thing I've learned from following Blair Green and Jordan Brock the past few years is that 90 percent of college recruiting is based on AAU basketball in the spring.
Macie played an AAU schedule in April and May with Kentucky Premier. They're scheduled to play more games in July. I think some of the cities her team are traveling to are Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville and Atlanta. I may have some of those wrong but I believe that's the ones I was told they would play in.
Macie and her family will do whats best for her and their family. Not whats best for Owsley County or South Laurel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ekff Wrote:Macie and her family will do whats best for her and their family. Not whats best for Owsley County or South Laurel.

I agree. No disputing that. It should always be that way with one's children.

So true and so disgusting. AAU is terrible basketball... Teaches you nothing about competing and winning and these stupid college coaches fall for it because of the money and convenience. I would bet everything I have, I could recruit a better class than most coaches get these days. So many better players, don't waste their time on fake ball and instead stay home to prefect their game to compete in what really matters. So many fall through the cracks. What happen to recruiting the best basketball players, not the ones that market themselves the best? Give me a player that knows how to get it done, get me the win, not the one that plays aau ball. That's just my opinion.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:So true and so disgusting. AAU is terrible basketball... Teaches you nothing about competing and winning and these stupid college coaches fall for it because of the money and convenience. I would bet everything I have, I could recruit a better class than most coaches get these days. So many better players, don't waste their time on fake ball and instead stay home to prefect their game to compete in what really matters. So many fall through the cracks. What happen to recruiting the best basketball players, not the ones that market themselves the best? Give me a player that knows how to get it done, get me the win, not the one that plays aau ball. That's just my opinion.
you better get with the program or u gonna get left behind. These days high school means nothing as far as recruiting. I understand what ur saying though. I don't like it either but I am old school but old school is done
Playing high school basketball means nothing this day and time. Kids could play aau and never play high school and get recruited to play college basketball. So sad but true. Most good aau players won't be good college players because aau teaches kids to be selfish and not play to win
Not true. Not with a good aau coach
ky playmaker Wrote:Not true. Not with a good aau coach

Very true, they might be a few aau coaches make the kids play the correct way, but parents don't want that, they want their kid to shoot and score for the most part. This is what basketball all about now
Megget Wrote:Playing high school basketball means nothing this day and time. Kids could play aau and never play high school and get recruited to play college basketball. So sad but true. Most good aau players won't be good college players because aau teaches kids to be selfish and not play to win

Have to disagree with the last sentence. I would be inclined to believe the majority of women's college basketball players playing at a high level, played aau basketball at some point. The women's game is more exciting and athletic than it's ever been. I think that can be contributed to kids having an opportunity to not only play against the best players in their area but also the best players all over the nation....

And I'm not a fan of aau ball but it's hard to deny it's influence in taking the game to a new level for women's basketball...
That is a good question, out of the P5 conferences how many players on those teams played AAU/exposure basketball? My guess would be 95% or higher, walk-ons not included.
Maybe i'm missing something here. A small percentage of high school players play D1 or get a full scholarship. So the thought that High School teams are becoming irrelevant and AAU is more important, doesn't make sense. The great majority of high school players play for the love of the game. They don't have their sights set on anything higher.

As for the girl from owsley - let her be guided by her own wants and desires. If that's to finish a special time of her life with those she grew up with, it can't be a bad decision. If it's to move so that she can play on a better team - then likewise - she's doing what she thinks is best.

Too many of you are daddies that want to raise everyone else's kids... worry about your own and let others do what they think is best.
Lots of girls are getting put on a pettistle in aau basketball and can't even start on their high school team, this tells me it's all about lots of sucking and money.
A lot of it is hype, but that's how sports work this day and age. And yes I'm sure part of it is about playing the political game but Iif a kid is playing at a high level with an aau team I would think they are contributing to their high school team.. Now if they are playing on dads put together team then yes I can see that being the case..
I think many of you are looking at AAU basketball in the wrong light. If a young lady has aspirations of playing college basketball then she must play AAU. If she's not interested in playing at the next level then she should spend her summer doing other things. AAU is more about exposure to college coaches against high level competition. It's not an avenue to teach the game as much as it is to show what you have already learned. You guys are killing me with the remarks about how AAU teaches kids nothing and is hurting the high school game. If your a college coach do you want to see Mary Jane hang 30 on a crappy 14th region team or do you want to see how she plays against competition that is as good or better than her. The girls have 11 months to work on their game and they get July to make an impression to college coaches.
There are no stats in AAU and that's why these parents love it so much. Can make up whatever they want with no proof lol. Get real !!! It does hurt high school ball.. Lose three games in AAU tournament and play another just for the fun. Teaches kids nothing about competition and working as a team to win. If you think that doesn't hurt high school, you're exactly the parents I'm talking about.
Cheezy Wrote:I think many of you are looking at AAU basketball in the wrong light. If a young lady has aspirations of playing college basketball then she must play AAU. If she's not interested in playing at the next level then she should spend her summer doing other things. AAU is more about exposure to college coaches against high level competition. It's not an avenue to teach the game as much as it is to show what you have already learned. You guys are killing me with the remarks about how AAU teaches kids nothing and is hurting the high school game. If your a college coach do you want to see Mary Jane hang 30 on a crappy 14th region team or do you want to see how she plays against competition that is as good or better than her. The girls have 11 months to work on their game and they get July to make an impression to college coaches.

Apparently you have not seen many aau games to think the competition is good, most of the teams are very weak and on top of that they don't play together so that makes a weak team.
Megget Wrote:Apparently you have not seen many aau games to think the competition is good, most of the teams are very weak and on top of that they don't play together so that makes a weak team.
I've seen enough to know that if a girl is playing against weak competition she's either playing with the wrong organization or she's probably not good enough to get on a top level team.
Cheezy Wrote:I've seen enough to know that if a girl is playing against weak competition she's either playing with the wrong organization or she's probably not good enough to get on a top level team.

Cheezy you are wasting your time trying to explain this. Rowe from Shelby Valley is getting ready to get a UK, UL offer among many others. Those offers are not coming via Shelby Valley. Keep her at home and hid from real competition will get you NO offers. Scoring 25 a game vs nobodys can give you some false hope. D2.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:There are no stats in AAU and that's why these parents love it so much. Can make up whatever they want with no proof lol. Get real !!! It does hurt high school ball.. Lose three games in AAU tournament and play another just for the fun. Teaches kids nothing about competition and working as a team to win. If you think that doesn't hurt high school, you're exactly the parents I'm talking about.

There are plenty of stats in AAU if you are good enough to play on a EYBL or Adidas Guantlet team. How many offers now? Indiana? Kentucky? Lousiville? UCONN? Maybe Pikeville.
Maroons Wrote:There are plenty of stats in AAU if you are good enough to play on a EYBL or Adidas Guantlet team. How many offers now? Indiana? Kentucky? Lousiville? UCONN? Maybe Pikeville.

If you are talking about Proffitt, she has plenty of offers. Don't fret about that. Just continue hating...I must say, you are very good at it.
Dr.Basketball Wrote:If you are talking about Proffitt, she has plenty of offers. Don't fret about that. Just continue hating...I must say, you are very good at it.

Was not necessarily talking about her, but being you brought it up, who has offered her? I am sure you can enlighten us all with this list. So fire away.
AAU ball absolutely helps to develop players and to get exposure that you cannot get with just playing high school ball. Those who are saying otherwise don't have a clue on what they're talking about.

There are lots of good quality coaches who coach aau ball out there and as a parent it's your responsibility to make sure you find the right fit for your child. I've seen first hand what a difference a summer of aau ball can do for a player with a good coach so don't give me that garbage about it ruining the game.
AAU ball is vital to getting recruited now. I don't think it's good for the game as far as developing kids but it's great for the exposure. Also if you don't think that kids are playing against tough competition in AAU then you have lost your mind! Go down to Florida at Disney in June in their sports complex and just see the competition level.
Or attend the Run for the Roses, Battle of the Boro, Nike Tournament of champions, Boo Williams Classic, etc....
Dr.Basketball Wrote:If you are talking about Proffitt, she has plenty of offers. Don't fret about that. Just continue hating...I must say, you are very good at it.

Hello? I am waiting on your offers.
Coach03 Wrote:AAU ball is vital to getting recruited now. I don't think it's good for the game as far as developing kids but it's great for the exposure. Also if you don't think that kids are playing against tough competition in AAU then you have lost your mind! Go down to Florida at Disney in June in their sports complex and just see the competition level.
Apparently you know very little about the game
Cheezy Wrote:I've seen enough to know that if a girl is playing against weak competition she's either playing with the wrong organization or she's probably not good enough to get on a top level team.

Very few Eybl players and for the most part the rest are weak