Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible districts
I Rule The World Wrote:I can't understand why Somerset isn't in the Clinton, Green Co. District... If they'd put them in that district and Washington Co. and Shawnee with Danville and LCA that'd make things more geographically sound

Agree completely!
Tri-State Fan Wrote:Agree completely!

I too agree but the catch, I believe, is that they are in different time zones. If that is not the case then it should happen.
Continue to hear rumblings regarding a few programs and playing up. Hearing there is strong support for Highlands staying in 5A. Also hearing that Boyle may play 4A?? That one caught me off guard.
HCS Wrote:Yes, it would, now that I look at it.
I'm used to Clay and Rockcastle being in the same district, but Corbin is closer to the others.

That could be a lot of fun. In the 90's corbin and rock was a pretty huge rivalry. It would be fun to rekindle it.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Same reason D7 has 6 and D8 has 4. Geography matches.

bball_fan Wrote:Everything I have read says this is the proposed alignment and the schools have not had a chance to give feedback yet. Johnson Central would surely argue this point and I could imagine one of the lesser competitive teams in the Covington area trying to get dropped to single A instead of Newport Central Catholic.

My question is why they do not try to equal out the number of teams per class... this system gets worse with every realignment it seems.

I like your 6A better than the Courier-Journal's Jason Frakes' version:
1: Muhlenberg, Henderson, McCracken, Marshall
2: Daviess, Apollo, Meade, Bullitt East
3. C.Hardin, N.Hardin, Southern, Fern Creek
4: St. X, Male, PRP, Butler
5: Trinity, Eastern, Ballard, Manual
6: Ryle, Simon Kenton, Campbell, Dix Hts
7: Bryan Station, Henry Clay, Paul Dunbar, Oldham County
8: Clark County, Lafayette, Madison Central, Tates Creek

Plus, I think Manual will throw a hissy fit if placed with Trinity. I understand the Crimsons helped break up the 6A "super district" a few years ago.
With Jeffersontown and Seneca moving down to 5A, adding Manual or Oldham County to the 6A district Trinity resides in would be a great addition to the schedule. This may also get the Rocks back to a four team district and leave room from another "new" team assuming Male and St. Xavier continue their series with Trinity.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Great Crossing is the new high school in Scott County.
It's will make both of them 5A schools.

To be honest, Johnson Central has had worse travel before. And there numbers are to great now to play down IMO.

I don't really get the big deal of traveling a couple hours to away games. Those teams have to travel to your place ever other year...

I don’t see the travel argument as much as I once did from other people and myself included don’t view it as a big deal. Only exception is the mountain teams. But Lawrence county drives to belfry for district games in all sports which is 1.5 hours on a bus.
Travel is a must in EKY. When you have so many County schools they tend to be close in classification then you sometimes have to travel across a couple counties to get to district games. Consolidation has caused some to travel much more.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:I thought Wayne Co was going down to 3A not staying in 4A.

its not going to happen. wayne will stay in 4a because it can handle 4a play.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Continue to hear rumblings regarding a few programs and playing up. Hearing there is strong support for Highlands staying in 5A. Also hearing that Boyle may play 4A?? That one caught me off guard.

I may be wrong but I don’t see Boyle petitioning to play up to 4a.
BigBoy52 Wrote:its not going to happen. wayne will stay in 4a because it can handle 4a play.

Which is the mindset that makes high school football in this state toxic.

I don't understand why its so hard for the khsaa to say enough is enough and play in the class you're supposed to. If you have to travel then oh well, too bad.

In my utopian football world, football in this state would be 5 classes, playoffs stay exactly the same it was before cross bracketing nonsense, and private have to play using a 1.5 multiplier. And where your numbers fall is where you play. No matter geography or travel.
Jack Lambert Wrote:I may be wrong but I don’t see Boyle petitioning to play up to 4a.

The District situation is horrible in 4A if Taylor and Mercer are dropping to 3A. We are going to have to either go to Shelbyville or Morehead/Ashland for District games and that stinks.

I say we stay in 3A.
Does anyone know Boyle's schedule for 2018?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Which is the mindset that makes high school football in this state toxic.

I don't understand why its so hard for the khsaa to say enough is enough and play in the class you're supposed to. If you have to travel then oh well, too bad.

In my utopian football world, football in this state would be 5 classes, playoffs stay exactly the same it was before cross bracketing nonsense, and private have to play using a 1.5 multiplier. And where your numbers fall is where you play. No matter geography or travel.

Easy to say when the state is cutting transportation budget
Real Badman Wrote:Easy to say when the state is cutting transportation budget

This may be the one thing that forces the KHSAA to reduce the number of classes so there are not as many geographic issues. 5 classes EVENLY split (no 32 team deals in 1A or 6A) would result in everyone in a 5-6 team district of nearby opponents.

And you can bet that the transportation issue of the state cutting funding from 75% to 42% will come into play soon.
Real Badman Wrote:Easy to say when the state is cutting transportation budget

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Either raise the money or quit playing. I'm sure the players could host a few car washes every year and male enough to pay for the fuel to every single away game.

Most schools could do it off donations alone.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Either raise the money or quit playing. I'm sure the players could host a few car washes every year and male enough to pay for the fuel to every single away game.

Most schools could do it off donations alone.

No to everything you said. You don’t ask kids to work for something that should be provided.
While the transportation cuts from the state suck and Bevin continues to lose his mind (for another topic; I guess)...if all of the football programs across the state could actually keep their gate money instead of it going into the general fund to help support all of the non revenue sports then transportation costs would be zero issue.

You go look around and football gates are the ring dinger for most schools across the state. Boys and Girls basketball have to be COMBINED to match and/or top what football brings in.
Hatz Wrote:Does anyone know Boyle's schedule for 2018?

UNOFFICIAL

vs Harrison Co (Bowl Game @ Mercer Co) rumors of replacement team
vs Franklin Co (Bowl Game @ Boyle Co)
vs Danville
@ Wayne Co
vs Collins
@ N Hardin
vs Garrard Co (D)
@ LexCath (D)
@ Western Hills (D)
vs Mercer Co
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:While the transportation cuts from the state suck and Bevin continues to lose his mind (for another topic; I guess)...if all of the football programs across the state could actually keep their gate money instead of it going into the general fund to help support all of the non revenue sports then transportation costs would be zero issue.

You go look around and football gates are the ring dinger for most schools across the state. Boys and Girls basketball have to be COMBINED to match and/or top what football brings in.

Not all school systems pay for busing to and from games. Boone County schools do not even have an athletic budget, outside of coaching salaries, for any of their sports teams. The only teams that use buses to go to away games are the football teams and they pay for that out of their own self funded budget.
Real Badman Wrote:No to everything you said. You don’t ask kids to work for something that should be provided.

What are you talking about? A lot of schools do this.
I see Corbin kids doing it all the time.
The something's that should be provided are desk, books, and teachers. Athletics doesn't fall in that category.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:While the transportation cuts from the state suck and Bevin continues to lose his mind (for another topic; I guess)...if all of the football programs across the state could actually keep their gate money instead of it going into the general fund to help support all of the non revenue sports then transportation costs would be zero issue.

I believe all of this can be blamed on people like my father in law. Worked as a strate employee for 20 years. Retired at 42. Now draws a pension from the state and has for years. If he lives until 80 I think it comes up to over a million dollars.
Teachers kind of put themselves in this predicament. Bevin is just trrying to clean it up. If it's broke it's broke. Better to take the cuts then nothing at all.
Teachers and state employees should have to work until 66 just like the rest of us. Retirement takes care of itself then.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I believe all of this can be blamed on people like my father in law. Worked as a strate employee for 20 years. Retired at 42. Now draws a pension from the state and has for years. If he lives until 80 I think it comes up to over a million dollars.
Teachers kind of put themselves in this predicament. Bevin is just trrying to clean it up. If it's broke it's broke. Better to take the cuts then nothing at all.
Teachers and state employees should have to work until 66 just like the rest of us. Retirement takes care of itself then.

Yes and know, had he not retired, he would have still been working, still getting paid by the state, either way.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I believe all of this can be blamed on people like my father in law. Worked as a strate employee for 20 years. Retired at 42. Now draws a pension from the state and has for years. If he lives until 80 I think it comes up to over a million dollars.

The retirement package is something that was used to attract workers. They took lower wages than their private sector counterparts for the sake of a better retirement.

These state workers are not able to draw Social Security when they age either.

You want a 66 year old 2nd grade teacher? Or high school? Really? You must be joking.

The problem was created by the state taking money from the retirement system (theft) and by the state not making their promised contributions each year.
cats3x Wrote:You want a 66 year old 2nd grade teacher? Or high school? Really? You must be joking.

The problem was created by the state taking money from the retirement system (theft) and by the state not making their promised contributions each year.

This. The KTRS pension plan was just fine until other parts of Frankfort starting sticking their hands into it. This isn't on the teachers, this is on Frankfort for the most part. A factor that has come into play however is life expectancy over the generations/years. You have more and more who are living into the retirement age at or even beyond the 20-30+ years that they worked.

By in large, though....you said it in the bold and that's what's ultimately caused this.
IAM22 Wrote:The retirement package is something that was used to attract workers. They took lower wages than their private sector counterparts for the sake of a better retirement.

These state workers are not able to draw Social Security when they age either.

Correct on ALL.

If he taught, he isn't getting retirement pay like those who put in 27-35 years ('full' benefits.)
Anyways, I’m excited to see how this realignment shakes out. Has any team ever played down before? Because I’m Johnson Centrals situation they may have the best argument (I’m young and dumb so I don’t know any other situations where teams drive very far)
BigBoy52 Wrote:its not going to happen. wayne will stay in 4a because it can handle 4a play.

Wayne has 4A numbers. Firmly in the middle of 4A. The Khsaa made a mistake on the first day they released proposed alignments. There were a few others that were recently amended.

Schools can move up, but only the bottom three schools in the class have an option to move down if a school chooses to bump up. Schools can’t move down unless they can prove a severe decline in enrollment.