Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underrated Head Coaches
TheBoz Wrote:Bart Elam at Pineville has to very high on this list.

Solid coach tell us why you think he is underrated.
Take last years team, not many coaches out there could have won a game with the talent we had. We were competitive and won a couple. Coach Elam is a good one.
Real Badman Wrote:Could not agree more.

He should have took the FC job. Created South Floyd and Allen Central.... Not saying Hager did a bad job but, Outside of Philip Haywood, I'm not sure I know a better coach from floyd. Imagine if he had Prestonsburg.

So are you saying Donnie Daniels is a better coach than John Derossett.
Hard to be a judge of that. Donnie did an excellent job of putting together respectable seasons with a lack of great talent over the years.
TheBoz Wrote:Take last years team, not many coaches out there could have won a game with the talent we had. We were competitive and won a couple. Coach Elam is a good one.

In contrast do you think his 2016 Team underachieved? Elam is a solid coach considering his achievements but I don’t think he is underrated. He is widely known as a decent coach but I see your point.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:In contrast do you think his 2016 Team underachieved? Elam is a solid coach considering his achievements but I don’t think he is underrated. He is widely known as a decent coach but I see your point.

I really don't see anyone else coming into Pineville and doing a better job IMO.
DarthVader Wrote:I really don't see anyone else coming into Pineville and doing a better job IMO.

I don’t disagree I just think he gets the appropriate amount of credit for the solid work he has done. I don’t think he is underrated I think he is appropriately and deseverdely respected for his body of work.
I would put Mark Dixon of Hazard in this category and this is why. Hazard has always had the athleticism for sure. However, prior to Dixon they were known to not be very physically tough. The style of play he promotes added to the athleticism and now physicality equals a consistent state contender
UpYours Wrote:So are you saying Donnie Daniels is a better coach than John Derossett.

Respect both, but yeah I believe Daniels is the better of the two. Go back at Johns year at Betsy Layne...6-4 record. Donny built Allen central and south Floyd. Much respect to that
JerryGarcia Wrote:I would put Mark Dixon of Hazard in this category and this is why. Hazard has always had the athleticism for sure. However, prior to Dixon they were known to not be very physically tough. The style of play he promotes added to the athleticism and now physicality equals a consistent state contender

I think you make a solid argument for why Dixon is underrated. Solid work!
What about Hoskins at Knox Central
I would propose limiting to those without a state championship already. If they have a ring they don't have a need to be rated they are proven whether we like it or not.
Trenches07 Wrote:What about Hoskins at Knox Central

I think he needs a few years of hc before we can tell. He was a great coordinator.
We have David Barnes and Steve Duncan out west who are probably underrated.
Iam4thecats Wrote:I would propose limiting to those without a state championship already. If they have a ring they don't have a need to be rated they are proven whether we like it or not.

I see your point but you can have a state title and be underrated. Some people consider Coach Wolfe at Male underrated. He has a title. Mark Brown at Etown to.
Anyone that has a ring is not underrated HC. Maybe forgotten if it has been a while but not underrated. Shouldn’t be listed here. JMO
Sorry but I don’t agree Whylie but that’s ok
WhyLie Wrote:Anyone that has a ring is not underrated HC. Maybe forgotten if it has been a while but not underrated. Shouldn’t be listed here. JMO

If they are forgotten wouldn’t that mean they are underated? That’s part of the definition of being underated. Being underrated it is not tied to a win loss record or title count it is based on does a coach get the proper credit for their body of work with what they have to work with consistently IMO. Some coaches do, some get too much and are overrated and some don’t and are underrated.
Iam4thecats Wrote:We have David Barnes and Steve Duncan out west who are probably underrated.

Good picks.