Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region preseason top 10
Strikeout King Wrote:Owsley lost their best player in Gibson, they return Lynch who averaged right at 13 PPG last season for the lady Owls. No way are they in the top 5. I do believe they are a top 10 team but not top 5 nor top 3. No one from the 56th is a top 5 team this season.

I respect your opinion but I’m going to have to disagree with you, new coaching staff new look for the owls this year, older and more mature. I saw the owls dismantle the Leslie co eagles this summer at Leslie and they had full squad. I really think they will surprise some folks this year.
Strikeout King Wrote:Owsley lost their best player in Gibson, they return Lynch who averaged right at 13 PPG last season for the lady Owls. No way are they in the top 5. I do believe they are a top 10 team but not top 5 nor top 3. No one from the 56th is a top 5 team this season.

Summer play can give a better look sometimes than what a team actually is but with that said, based on their summer play Owsley is a top 5 regional team in my opinion and the best team from the 56th district. They’ll have a very balanced offense and a solid defense. Although most of their players are sophomores they’ve been varsity starters since 8th grade.
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/2j7ybw.jpg] Baby Pat Nation is fired up something fierce! Ole Fatpat ran into this brutha and they got the big cameras out for this years show boi! Jada and the Lady Pats be coming to a gym near you! Shaba! Ole Fatpat looking for the hardware to arrive back in Hindmy by years end and Mortys be rocking all year! Look for ole Honeycutta to amp the speed up taterstyle! #trainizacoming #loadedtaters #plentyofhairgelforolefatpatforthecameras More mash taters please!!!
Boogie Wrote:I respect your opinion but I’m going to have to disagree with you, new coaching staff new look for the owls this year, older and more mature. I saw the owls dismantle the Leslie co eagles this summer at Leslie and they had full squad. I really think they will surprise some folks this year.

Summer ball is just that, summer ball, doesn't mean anything. Coaches aren't gonna play their best players most of a game during the summer when they have a full season ahead of them.

LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Summer play can give a better look sometimes than what a team actually is but with that said, based on their summer play Owsley is a top 5 regional team in my opinion and the best team from the 56th district. They’ll have a very balanced offense and a solid defense. Although most of their players are sophomores they’ve been varsity starters since 8th grade.

I maybe proven otherwise this season but I don't see it. They didn't even make the region tournament last season and lost their best player and leading scorer who averaged 30+ points a game and they're still a region contending team? I just don't see it.
Owsley lost a great player. That has to hurt a little.
I'd put both Estill and Owsley just outside the top 5 at this point. All four teams in that district could be top 10.
Strikeout King Wrote:Summer ball is just that, summer ball, doesn't mean anything. Coaches aren't gonna play their best players most of a game during the summer when they have a full season ahead of them.

I maybe proven otherwise this season but I don't see it. They didn't even make the region tournament last season and lost their best player and leading scorer who averaged 30+ points a game and they're still a region contending team? I just don't see it.

You’re correct about losing a great player. Also correct about the loss in the 1st game of the district. But there was a little more to that loss than meets the eye. Lexy Lynch only played around 10 minutes in that game due to fouls and finally fouling out. It wasn’t the best officiated game by a long shot but that’s all in the past and irrelevant now.

The point about Owsley’s team that gets overlooked is that three of their sophomore starters have been starters since 8th grade. And imo Lynch is one of the top players in the region. This team will be much better than many think but we will just have to wait and see. I could be wrong.
I agree summer ball is summer ball but it’s very telling in what a team can and will be. As for the game his starters played from start to finish
I can't see Owsley County being a top 10 team and Lee County sure isn't, that's almost hilarious. There is no way Owsley County wins the 56th District this year when they couldn't even win the first round of District last year with Macie Gibson. I will say that the 56th District was pretty competitive last year. Last year's seeding, Owsley County, Lee County, Estill County, and Powell County. When it was all said and done Estill County went 1-4 against Lee County and Owsley County, but outplayed Powell County twice only winning once, the loss coming at home in double overtime, and Powell County made it to the 14th Region Semi-Finals, so... And since the 4 seed, Powell County, beat Owsley County and Knott Central Central last year, the eventual winners of the 14th Region, it was clearly a competitive District. However, now that Macie Gibson and Hannah Kash have graduated Owsley County and Lee County will be borderline top 10 teams at best. This doesn't mean that they won't finish the year with the 9th or 10th most wins in the 14th Region, anyone can schedule cupcake games, but that they won't be a top 10 team... That's just the way I see things and I will be shocked if I'm wrong. If I am, I'll own up to it.
The Ole Man Wrote:I can't see Owsley County being a top 10 team and Lee County sure isn't, that's almost hilarious. There is no way Owsley County wins the 56th District this year when they couldn't even win the first round of District last year with Macie Gibson. I will say that the 56th District was pretty competitive last year. Last year's seeding, Owsley County, Lee County, Estill County, and Powell County. When it was all said and done Estill County went 1-4 against Lee County and Owsley County, but outplayed Powell County twice only winning once, the loss coming at home in double overtime, and Powell County made it to the 14th Region Semi-Finals, so... And since the 4 seed, Powell County, beat Owsley County and Knott Central Central last year, the eventual winners of the 14th Region, it was clearly a competitive District. However, now that Macie Gibson and Hannah Kash have graduated Owsley County and Lee County will be borderline top 10 teams at best. This doesn't mean that they won't finish the year with the 9th or 10th most wins in the 14th Region, anyone can schedule cupcake games, but that they won't be a top 10 team... That's just the way I see things and I will be shocked if I'm wrong. If I am, I'll own up to it.

Better bring your appetite come February then, you obviously know nothing about what your talking about but then again you did say Wolfe was #3 in the 14th, that sir is what is hilarious. As far as cupcake schedules get on khsaa and check the schedule out for yourself
Boogie Wrote:Better bring your appetite come February then, you obviously know nothing about what your talking about but then again you did say Wolfe was #3 in the 14th, that sir is what is hilarious. As far as cupcake schedules get on khsaa and check the schedule out for yourself

I just went and checked Owsley County's schedule, their schedule is loaded with top teams! Loaded! This will seriously hurt their record, I think they'll regret this pretty quickly. The good news is they will be battle tested and hopefully for Lady Owl fans it will payoff come tournament time. That being said, I still stand by my previous comments. Good luck to all teams in the 14th Region this season!
The Ole Man Wrote:I can't see Owsley County being a top 10 team and Lee County sure isn't, that's almost hilarious.

I think it's interesting you think it's that tough to be a top 10 team in the 14th. I am pretty confident both Owsley and Lee will be ranked in the top 10 in the preseason.
Here's who you had to beat last year to be a top 10 team in the 14th Region:

Cordia
June Buchanan
Riverside Christian
Buckhorn
Jackson City
Breathitt County
HCS Wrote:I think it's interesting you think it's that tough to be a top 10 team in the 14th. I am pretty confident both Owsley and Lee will be ranked in the top 10 in the preseason.
Here's who you had to beat last year to be a top 10 team in the 14th Region:

Cordia
June Buchanan
Riverside Christian
Buckhorn
Jackson City
Breathitt County

Jackson City and Buckhorn were both very underrated teams. Jackson City was and is a very talented team. Buckhorn has Ally Lopez who is a really good player and would be considered a top 15-20, possibly even a top 10 player for this upcoming season if she had more exposure. I'll grant you the other four teams, but Buckhorn and Jackson City were both very talented teams. Also, the 10th and 9th teams at least according to the wins from last year in your scenario would be Estill County and Letcher County Central. Letcher County Central had a 31-20 lead over Hazard at halftime in the first round of the Regional tournament last year and only lost to Knott County Central the eventual winners of the Region by 6 points in the 53rd District Championship game. I don't see Owsley County having that type of upside this year. Not to mention, last year LCC had a top 5 player in the Region in Maggard. A type of player I do not think Owsley County has. Estill County had a player who was considered to be top 10 in the Region in Amy Brewer. I just don't think this year's Owsley County team will be at that level. Sure, last year may have been a quote on quote highly competitive season... However, I just don't see them as a top 10 team. To me, there will be one major surprises. One Buckhorn will be a solid team. Buckhorn is viewed as a team outside of the top 10, but I wouldn't be surprised if they become a top 10-6 team in the region. They return basically everyone and lost 8 games by 10 points or less last season. I can easily see other team's regression from losing players and their progression providing them with a win in some of the close losses from a year ago... I gotta tell ya, I figured Owsley County and Lee County would be teams that everyone would have outside of their Top 10. I didn't see any of this hype coming in the slightest.
Those two could move into the top 10, but I don't think picking Lee or Owsley ahead of them, especially after Lee beat Buckhorn by 19 and 17 points last year, would be considered "almost hilarious." Owsley won 20 games last year and Lee won 17 and bring back several starters.
Seriously man did you watch any games last year? No offense to Jackson city but in no shape form or fashion would I ever say that they are “very talented”, I’ve always been told if you don’t have anything good to say then don’t say anything at all so..............
HCS Wrote:Those two could move into the top 10, but I don't think picking Lee or Owsley ahead of them, especially after Lee beat Buckhorn by 19 and 17 points last year, would be considered "almost hilarious." Owsley won 20 games last year and Lee won 17 and bring back several starters.

Owsley County did that because they had Macie Gibson. Owsley County and Lee County last season were a one-man team. Gibson and Kash made their teams very good last year, teams that would have finished with 5-10 wins without them. Anything that Owsley County and Lee County did last year cannot be taken into account for this upcoming year, because they only did what they did because of Gibson and Kash. They are completely different teams this year. They will both take big steps back, Lee County especially. You can't have one player producing 37 points and 17 rebounds per game lose her and not expect to take a big step back, same thing goes for Kash's production. I have nothing against anyone around those programs or the players in them, I wish them the best, but I expect a big step back for both programs. I think that Owsley County with Gibson and Lee County with Kash will play out just like Jenkins did with Creech. To me, that Jenkins team and last year's Owsley County and Lee County (in particular) teams are identical. Jenkins is 11-53 since losing Whitney Creech, it may not be that drastic, but you get the picture.
Boogie Wrote:Seriously man did you watch any games last year? No offense to Jackson city but in no shape form or fashion would I ever say that they are “very talented”, I’ve always been told if you don’t have anything good to say then don’t say anything at all so..............

I watched at least 6 Jackson City games last year, maybe more, they'll surprise people this year. They are really good, they return basically everyone, and Walter Thompson Jr is a very very good coach. He does not enough praise.
I think Lee is a borderline top 10 team and perhaps could be caught by Buckhorn or Jackson. I'd be very surprised if Owsley falls out of the top 10 at any point this season - the Lynch girl is pretty good and probably a top 10 player in the region.
Kash was not nearly as good as Creech for one thing and Jenkins lost its entire team, basically, not just Creech. Lee has three starters back and Owsley has four, I think.
HCS Wrote:Those two could move into the top 10, but I don't think picking Lee or Owsley ahead of them, especially after Lee beat Buckhorn by 19 and 17 points last year, would be considered "almost hilarious." Owsley won 20 games last year and Lee won 17 and bring back several starters.
Good post.

I don’t know about Lee but Owsley is definitely in the region’s top 10 and possibly top 5. They return 4 starters and have one of the best players in the region in 5’8 sophomore guard Lexy Lynch. She averaged around 14 ppg last year and will be a starter for the third straight year.
But of course this will all sort itself out when the season gets started. Owsley has a difficult schedule to start out with, playing Floyd Central, Knott Central and Wolfe in the first weeks. And because the gymnasium is getting new bleachers installed they had to move all their November and December games to away. That’ll be challenging, especially with so many young players. But in the end it will toughen them up for tournaments in February/March.
HCS Wrote:Kash was not nearly as good as Creech for one thing and Jenkins lost its entire team, basically, not just Creech. Lee has three starters back and Owsley has four, I think.

Kash was just as valuable to her team as Creech was to hers. The talent Kash had around her is eerily similar to what Creech had at Jenkins. Just watch.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Good post.

I don’t know about Lee but Owsley is definitely in the region’s top 10 and possibly top 5. They return 4 starters and have one of the best players in the region in 5’8 sophomore guard Lexy Lynch. She averaged around 14 ppg last year and will be a starter for the third straight year.
But of course this will all sort itself out when the season gets started. Owsley has a difficult schedule to start out with, playing Floyd Central, Knott Central and Wolfe in the first weeks. And because the gymnasium is getting new bleachers installed they had to move all their November and December games to away. That’ll be challenging, especially with so many young players. But in the end it will toughen them up for tournaments in February/March.

We'll just have to see how things play out. That game with Wolfe County will more or less make or break my argument.
The Ole Man Wrote:We'll just have to see how things play out. That game with Wolfe County will more or less make or break my argument.

I agree. If Owsley leaves Campton with a defeat that night then you can say, “See, I told you but you wouldn’t believe me”, lol.
They’ll have to figure a way to slow down Wolfe’s Smith girl or it could be a long night. We’ll see.
The Ole Man Wrote:Kash was just as valuable to her team as Creech was to hers. The talent Kash had around her is eerily similar to what Creech had at Jenkins. Just watch.

That Jenkins had nine players - six were seniors. Creech averaged 50 points a game. Jenkins brought back a sophomore and two 7th graders who averaged about 3.6 points a game combined the next year. Lee brings back about 25 points a game from last year.

I did see Lee early last year get pounded by South. I was shocked they won the All A for the 14th. They must have improved a lot.
Truth be told, girls basketball in the 14th region is just down in general.
In years past we had teams that won the state tourney and all a state tourney from this region. Always had a couple of teams in the top 10 in the state.
Mc Napier
Hazard
Breathitt and perry when Kendall Nobel was there.

Now there isn’t any team in the 14th even close to being in top 25 in the state.
Truth hurts but still the truth.

As far as how the region goes.
I think Leslie and knott are a notch above everyone else. Even tho Leslie lost to Owsley this summer. They are still the #1 team in the region. And knott is a close 2nd. Summer games are just summer games. I watched preseason baseball this spring and watched Florida State college team beat the Boston red socks in a preseason game. Pretty sure Florida state college team is not better than the team with the best record in baseball.

3-10 in the region could be anyone on a given night. I’ve watched Owsley play several times. And they will be really solid. They have good guards that can handle the ball. And in girls basketball that goes a long way. They lost a really good player. But return several solid players.
Hazard has good guards.
Letcher will be good.
Perry is perry and will always be near the top.
Estill is well coached be solid
Powell has nice big and nice point guard.
Wolfe has everybody back and will be solid.
Lee,buckhorn, kinda go down the list.
Region is pretty wide open.
14th Region Top 10
1. Letcher-wait and see
2. Leslie-yearly contender
3. Knott-hate to even put them here..LOL
4. Breathitt-new coach best player back--look out
5. Hazard-Caudill is the POY
6. PCC-thats my bunch, but they will be down.
7-10 Not a chance to win against other 6
If you think that Owsley or Wolfe county’s girls have no shot at beating Breathitt County this year. Then you didn’t watch much basketball in the region last year.

Breathitt lost Games last year by an average of 30 to 40 points. And if people didnt feel sorry for them it would have been 50-60 easily.
Brewer is their best player. She averaged about 16 a game last year on a team that she had some help. She will not have that help on this years Breathitt team. 16 a game is not gonna cover that 40 and 50 point spread.
Be interesting to see how she handles the bearings when she has never been beat like that before. Noble girl didn’t handle them last year and she just quit.
Analytics101 Wrote:14th Region Top 10
1. Letcher-wait and see

I suggest you seek medical attention quick cause if you seriously think, and I hope you really don’t, that Breathitt is the 4th best team in this region you sir need evaluated.
1. Letcher-wait and see

No way Breathitt is even in the conversation. Even with Brewer just don’t have enough around her to be a serious contender. I will give you that I also think Letcher will have a good year. Don’t think their number 1 but will have a solid team. Owsley is definitely top 5 in region without question.
1. Letcher-wait and see

[Image:

]

alcoholic baby, I don't know what you be drinkin, but you better put the brakes on that bottle bruh. Can't believe you be dissin my Lady Pats like that, wowza! Plus putting the bobkittens in any top 5 is straight up tater cray cray.

#somepunkinjuicefloatinaround More mash taters please!!!
The 14th Region is not loaded by no means. Breathitts coach used to coach with Randy Napier. Maybe a few players may just fall from the sky in J-town. Stranger things have happened in the region. LOL