Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WKYT story on referees
They are human, but they also know what they are signing up for when they take the job some of them get their feelings hurt way to easy and take it personal
RippVanWrinkle69 Wrote:Ok here is the issue.
1) you must not get off the mountains. I’ve see games all around the state and it’s very close on talent.
2) you must have a child/coach/favorite team not as good as you think and therefore getting thumped and need someone to blame.
3) pay varies from 60-80 dollars a game across the state. WTH that said I know officials all across the the state (including Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana and Missouri) and all do this for a HOBBY!!! Not a job.
4) you don’t watch college games do you? Let me guess you were sitting in front of the tv saying “these refs are terrible”. They are cheating us.

Now with all that said I was attending a game in the 14th region Friday night and all I heard was “let them play” then from the same group “call a foul” “you blind”. So which is it? Let them play or call a foul?????? Now I was watching a game in 10th and 11th last night. Guess what I heard. Yep the same chants. Now if you are interested I have connections and could definitely hook up up to be an official for the weekend.

PS how many people come to your job and yell YOU SUCK all day?? Hope your life gets better so you won’t be blaming others on your failure. Good day mister!!
First of all smartass if anyone came to my job they wouldn’t say I sucked because I have pride in what I do and make sure that everything is right. If not, I get accountability which none of these sucky referees get.
My life is great by the way, thanks for asking. If you have watched games all across the state then evidently you don’t know what the hell you are talking about because I spoke with a gentleman from Louisville and Indiana that said that it keeps getting worse in up their as well.
My failure??? You are a friggin idiot that doesn’t know shit. This isn’t about me. I don’t have to talk shit behind a computer like you being a puss and You don’t know me and know nothing about the sport evidently and if you have connections, no wonder the refereeing sucks. I watch College games and the majority of them are pretty good because they make $80,000 +’and it is not a HOBBY for them and they are held accountable for their mistakes.

I don’t have kids,a favorite team or coach, I spend my time watching the game of basketball and get sick of shitty refs. Also I never said anything about a referee cheating anybody, I said a lot of them suck and don’t know what they are
Doing and could get someone hurt.
So with the majority of the refs doing it as a hobby may be part of the problem. If it was a full time job maybe there would be better candidates for the job. With that being said, good day to you
RippVanWrinkle69 Wrote:Ok here is the issue.
1) you must not get off the mountains. I’ve see games all around the state and it’s very close on talent.
2) you must have a child/coach/favorite team not as good as you think and therefore getting thumped and need someone to blame.
3) pay varies from 60-80 dollars a game across the state. WTH that said I know officials all across the the state (including Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana and Missouri) and all do this for a HOBBY!!! Not a job.
4) you don’t watch college games do you? Let me guess you were sitting in front of the tv saying “these refs are terrible”. They are cheating us.

Now with all that said I was attending a game in the 14th region Friday night and all I heard was “let them play” then from the same group “call a foul” “you blind”. So which is it? Let them play or call a foul?????? Now I was watching a game in 10th and 11th last night. Guess what I heard. Yep the same chants. Now if you are interested I have connections and could definitely hook up up to be an official for the weekend.

PS how many people come to your job and yell YOU SUCK all day?? Hope your life gets better so you won’t be blaming others on your failure. Good day mister!!
Evidently you need to get someone to read what I posted to you because either you are too stupid to see what was said or just like to type smack behind a keyboard
zaga_fan Wrote:Talk to a local ref and it looks like the truth is somewhere in the middle. KHSAA stuff I posted is state minimum

This is the 14th region pay.

"70 for varsity. Flat fee. Then Jv with 3 refs is $33.33. Jv with 2 refs $50"

"There’s a state mini for a varsity game during the season. But each regions policy board can choose to pay more if they wish. (14th) is $70. 15th is $65 13th is $75. No mileage is paid in any sport until the state finals and only if you live 100 miles away"

"In almost 20 years that I’ve called they have never paid mileage in the regular season. It’s a flat fee"

Sorry for blowing this up tonight lol
That’s awesome info. Thanks
SouthEast18 Wrote:Calling games has to the one if the worst jobs there is give them a break

According to know it all RippVanTesticle69 it’s a HOBBY and not a job
Dang. That escalated quickly.
Didn’t mean to touch a nerve there super. My point was this stop crying and help out. Plus read my post again the officials are even all across the state therefore of bad in the east bad in the whole state. Didn’t mean to ruffle some feathers but you need to check your facts before posted something stupid. High school and below are hobbies. I meant you complain about college officials as well I’m sure. Sports are a bit different. They have a split second to make a ruling. Unlike normal jobs.
Go get a back rub so you won’t be so butt hurt my friend.
Superfly Wrote:According to know it all RippVanTesticle69 it’s a HOBBY and not a job

I’ll be at Somerset tonight mrs fly, if you’d like to meet up and make fun of the officials together???
Alright, ladies.
Let's bring it down a notch.
Anybody interested in becoming a high school wrestling official, check out my YouTube channel. I have made eighteen instructional videos on the rules of wrestling and how to officiate the sport.

The link in my signature will take you directly to my YouTube channel.

My views on being an official.
- I don't care if you love me or hate me, as long as you respect my judgment.
- Call the situations the same for both sides.
- Know the rule book good enough to quote the Rule number, Section number & Article number. When you can show a coach the exact spot in the rule book about a call they are questioning, the conversation ends quickly. I've noticed in wrestling that parents/fans will quickly calm down after their coach has been proven wrong on a call that wasn't in favor against their team.
- Never argue with a fan during or after a contest. Let the school administration handle the removal of fans causing an issue. We live in a society where social media has made people think that they can say what ever they want about somebody without any repercussions. Fans will yell for every call they can get for their team..... and that is expected. I don't get administration involved until insults, profanity or any other verbiage/acts that distracts from the contest.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I think making it a form of employment in which they are accountable is actually feasible.

Not full-time, but part-time. Officials make $45 for each varsity game and $30 for JV games. If they are calling games 4 nights per week, they would be making $300 per week for approximately 16 hours of work. That's $18.75 an hour. The KHSAA could collect the official fees from the school and then disburse payments to the refs via Arbiter. As part-time employment, benefits would not be necessary. Many people could still work regular jobs or another part-time gig. It would fit a lot of demographics and then give the KHSAA the ability to have trainings, evaluations, etc.

That scenario is not out of the question -- the schools would still incur the same cost, it would simply be distributed differently. Same money, more accountability.

Anyone that knows me personally could also say that I defend officials regularly because their job is not easy. But I have seen some mishaps lately that have been "let go" when ejections probably should have happened -- technicals at best -- and letting bad behavior go makes the contest dangerous for all involved.

We can't continue to say "if you want to complain become an official". We have to be able to admit that they may need more training.

The scenario of Parents being out of hand and the scenario of Officials not doing a good job can both happen at the same time.
http://www.khsaa.org
Sign up to be an official if you want to help, if not, quit hiding in the stands and bashing the officials.

Most of these guys have been around for a while and yes they do it for a little extra money, hobby, exercise, helping these kids, which are all great reasons. 3 man officiating has helped some of these guys/gals stay around a little longer to help out the profession, because without them we would not have enough to cover these games the kids want to play. There are not enough younger officials that want to put up with the abuse that these guys/gals take night in and night out from people like the ones on here complaining about them. And it only gets worse!!!! They have to go to meetings, on sundays, take tests, drive all over the region- sometimes leaving at 4pm and not getting home until midnight, watch clinics, and do their regular job throughout the day as well. And for what???? to put up with people like are on here bashing the refs, because little johnny might have gotten fouled. Like I said, if you can do a better job, get your license and walk a mile in their shoes before you continue bashing the people that are giving our children the opportunity to play the great game of basketball. Why don't you start thanking them for coming instead of giving them a hard time. WITHOUT THEM, YOU WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO WATCH OUR GREAT STUDENT ATHLETES PLAY.....
Buddy you sit and watch the team you have coached for years get screwed youd change your tune. Some of these refs have personal vendettas with some of these coaches. Take it out on the kids. All anyone wants is a fair called game. Refs around here are allowed to call games when their cousins coach one of the other teams or have someone close to them involved in the game.
I understand that officiating is not an easy job and like someone mentioned earlier, they have split seconds to make decisions many times during the coarse of a game. I was once a "ref-basher" but have eased up over the last month simply because there is no way that I would ever consider being a ref. Like the old saying goes...Bitching without offering a solution is merely WHINING!" My pet peeves as far as officiating goes are as follows: 1) Some refs REALLY like to be seen and heard. Sports are different from Broadway musicals and the STARS are the athletes...not the officials. 2) All anyone associated with sports REALLY wants is CONSISTENCY! What is a foul/block/charge on one end should be the same on the other. SO PLEASE...JUST BE CONSISTENT!
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Buddy you sit and watch the team you have coached for years get screwed youd change your tune. Some of these refs have personal vendettas with some of these coaches. Take it out on the kids. All anyone wants is a fair called game. Refs around here are allowed to call games when their cousins coach one of the other teams or have someone close to them involved in the game.
Coaches are allowed to scratch officials, so that doesn't happen! If they don't want them there, they can see to it that they aren't. TongueirateSho
Wheatfarmer Wrote:I understand that officiating is not an easy job and like someone mentioned earlier, they have split seconds to make decisions many times during the coarse of a game. I was once a "ref-basher" but have eased up over the last month simply because there is no way that I would ever consider being a ref. Like the old saying goes...Bitching without offering a solution is merely WHINING!" My pet peeves as far as officiating goes are as follows: 1) Some refs REALLY like to be seen and heard. Sports are different from Broadway musicals and the STARS are the athletes...not the officials. 2) All anyone associated with sports REALLY wants is CONSISTENCY! What is a foul/block/charge on one end should be the same on the other. SO PLEASE...JUST BE CONSISTENT!
Of course it looks different on the other end, when you are wearing your teams colors. When you have 3 different guys reffing the game, you have how many different angles in the gym that the play is seen from???? Of course it looks different from every angle. block/charge is the hardest call to make and in a split second you referee the defense and make the call from what you see. Yes everyone is not going to agree, that is part of it. Being consistent with a crew is a little hard because they all call differently and they are with different people every night, so it is hard to know how each person calls the game. This is one reason its very hard to call a consistent game. Certain things to certain people look different and are not considered fouls and some think everything is a foul, everyone is just different. It's high school basketball, it's very hard to get a consistent crew like some of the college or nba guys, and if you have watched much lately, you will see the same stuff in those games. Just saying!!!:Cheerlead
RippVanWrinkle69 Wrote:I’ll be at Somerset tonight mrs fly, if you’d like to meet up and make fun of the officials together???

What time MsRippVantesticle69?
Wheatfarmer Wrote:I understand that officiating is not an easy job and like someone mentioned earlier, they have split seconds to make decisions many times during the coarse of a game. I was once a "ref-basher" but have eased up over the last month simply because there is no way that I would ever consider being a ref. Like the old saying goes...Bitching without offering a solution is merely WHINING!" My pet peeves as far as officiating goes are as follows: 1) Some refs REALLY like to be seen and heard. Sports are different from Broadway musicals and the STARS are the athletes...not the officials. 2) All anyone associated with sports REALLY wants is CONSISTENCY! What is a foul/block/charge on one end should be the same on the other. SO PLEASE...JUST BE CONSISTENT!

I couldn't agree with this any more!! Some refs really do take the showboating to a different level! And consistency....YES!!! I coached basketball for over 30 years and if I know how an official sees a certain play, then I can coach better. For instance there was a particular official that would call charging very quickly. In that game, my PG would drive a lot more than in other games.

I used to have my officiating license but that was years and years ago. I never had a bad experience with kids in my entire officiating experience. Adults? Not so much!

Smile
Granny Bear Wrote:I couldn't agree with this any more!! Some refs really do take the showboating to a different level! And consistency....YES!!! I coached basketball for over 30 years and if I know how an official sees a certain play, then I can coach better. For instance there was a particular official that would call charging very quickly. In that game, my PG would drive a lot more than in other games.

I used to have my officiating license but that was years and years ago. I never had a bad experience with kids in my entire officiating experience. Adults? Not so much!

Smile

Say what........... why are you just now releasing this piece of news?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
damn thats a heck of a paycut from back in the 91. When i was coaching in the 10th i gave the varsity refs there checks myself. They got 90 a peace for 2 refs
i feel for officials. Yes they are horribly inconsistent. However, parents are out of control. Who the hell would want to deal with that on a nightly basis
cadets1988 Wrote:i feel for officials. Yes they are horribly inconsistent. However, parents are out of control. Who the hell would want to deal with that on a nightly basis

We can blame A lot of parents because they don't know anything, except that's there kid getting hit, fouled or etc. With that said the Ref's are also to blame. You will play 3 games and they call all touch fouls on top and let them maul each other under the basket. Then play 3 games where they tell you they are not calling nothing and this has happened this year in the 16th and the lead official was one of the Ref's. Here is the one that really gets me, Kid shoots the ball and the Ref's watch to see if it goes in and if it doesn't they call a foul. Either it is or isn't a foul. Also see ref not call fouls on certain kids when they should be fouls. Ref's have favorites just like everyone else. I see it more as 50-50. Both at fault!!!!!!!
cadets1988 Wrote:i feel for officials. Yes they are horribly inconsistent. However, parents are out of control. Who the hell would want to deal with that on a nightly basis

cadets1988 Wrote:damn thats a heck of a paycut from back in the 91. When i was coaching in the 10th i gave the varsity refs there checks myself. They got 90 a peace for 2 refs

I think they just as well cut it back to 2 Ref's, it saves school money and they will still miss the same amount of calls.
Hey some of these Ref's need on a weight training program, before they get there strips. #CANTGETUPFLOOR#
Very well said.
Tip is at 7:30 supermaggit.
10/4. I’ll see you there. I think we just became best friends
Absolutely. No harm in a little fun. I’ll save you a seat.
Here's the problem with officiating basketball...

High School and college has agreed to allow "some contact" on both ends of the floor. By allowing as much contact as they do it makes the job of the official very very hard because every call is a judgement call. A handcheck isn't a handcheck unless it crosses an arbitrary line. A body check isn't a foul unless it crosses some arbitrary line.

The nBA game cleaned up their officiating drastically when all handchecks were changed to fouls. What happened? All handchecks stopped. When you watch an NBA game now you almost never see anything resembling a handcheck. If you do? It's a foul.

I have a couple of close friends who officiate in college and they swear that if the ncaa and the conferences would allow them to call "all the fouls" the game would open up, move faster and far fewer fouls would happen/get called. The same thing would happen in the high school game.

The ALL a classic in Richmond can be brutal to watch because they allow SOOOO much contact and it builds through a game. To the point where teams can go an entire quarter without being called for a foul.

The other issue is the "block/charge". in my opinion, at a minimum the high school game needs to adopt the block charge "ring". It's an epidimic. Some teams just camp a guy out underneath the basket to take charges.
In my opinion, basketball at all levels needs to get rid of the concept of a "charge". If a defender just stands there and lets the guy run over them it should be a foul on the defense. That would stop this "flop".

Moral of the story. There are some bad refs. Some REALLY bad refs. Some with axes to grind and agendas. But most of them are just given a crappy set of rules to enforce.
We travel around and know the referees. There are some that aren’t very good but they’re fair, you can live with that. There are others that are blatantly biased. They also don’t know the rules. That’s all sports.