Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offical Pike County Bowl thread.
Meaty Wrote:ER 48 Phelps 14

P'ville 31 HC 34(Don't know much about HC )
See there we go again. You dont know much about LHC but still you pick them to beat Pikeville. Just dont make much sense.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:See there we go again. You dont know much about LHC but still you pick them to beat Pikeville. Just dont make much sense.

Like I said, I don't know much about HC... All I know is there from Lousiville but hey I am pulling for the Panthers to win but and it is a toss up but this is just talk... No need to get upset about it heck I'll change it to P'ville 34 HC 31... Eitehr way it is going to be a good game.
I think the game between PC and SV is going to be very close. I'm looking towards Pikeville to pull out the win. I think Pikeville continues to grow each season. I wish them good luck this season!
Meaty Wrote:Like I said, I don't know much about HC... All I know is there from Lousiville but hey I am pulling for the Panthers to win but and it is a toss up but this is just talk... No need to get upset about it heck I'll change it to P'ville 34 HC 31... Eitehr way it is going to be a good game.
Dont get me wrong. Im not trying to get people on here to pick Pikeville. If someone actually KNEW something about LHCs program and they thought they could beat Pikeville then I wouldnt say anything to them. Its just hard to tell between the ones who dont THINK Pikeville will win as opposed to the ones who dont WANT Pikeville to win. LHC could very well eat our lunch if we dont come out focused.
I think a lot of people make predictions with their heart, not their head. So if they really like a particular school, they pick them to win, just as those who dislike a particular school pick against them.

This is the same line of thinking that used to get me in trouble in my NCAA tournament pools each March, I would pick UK to go farther than I should have, mainly because I hoped they would. Lots of people are probably guilty of this...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Belfry 28 Corbin 21 - I don't know a lot Corbin this year but they havent been really impressive when i saw them at the pigskin classic these past two years and belfry is always strong.

Pikeville 20 LHC 7 - HC from what ive heard has given Danville very good games for 3 years in a row, but i expect Pikeville to come out much stronger, especially on defense.

as for pc-sv and er-phelps, i usually don't pay much attention to these teams and have no predictions
Belfry-Corbin is going to be around 28-21. That could go either way though. It should be a really good game.
Pikeville-LHC will be a good game. Both teams return a lot on both side of the ball. But I believe Pikeville will be a little to much for the Cougars. No score prediction as of yet.
I don't pay attention to the other games either EASports12.
No one is saying that the other county teams are as good as Belfry, Pikeville, or the outside visitors, but the opening games each night are important, even if only to those teams and their fans. They are intra-county rivalries and I am sure each team will come out and play hard for their school.

Shelby Valley-Pike Central, in particular, has the potential to be a very exciting game. Sure, it's not got the glamour of the nightcap matchup, but if people will stop trying to act like these games don't matter and actually come watch one, they might be surprised and enjoy themselves. Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Great Post!!!!!:Thumbs:
More Cowbell Wrote:No one is saying that the other county teams are as good as Belfry, Pikeville, or the outside visitors, but the opening games each night are important, even if only to those teams and their fans. They are intra-county rivalries and I am sure each team will come out and play hard for their school.

Shelby Valley-Pike Central, in particular, has the potential to be a very exciting game. Sure, it's not got the glamour of the nightcap matchup, but if people will stop trying to act like these games don't matter and actually come watch one, they might be surprised and enjoy themselves. Big Grin
More Cowbell Wrote:No one is saying that the other county teams are as good as Belfry, Pikeville, or the outside visitors, but the opening games each night are important, even if only to those teams and their fans. They are intra-county rivalries and I am sure each team will come out and play hard for their school.

People from all over come to watch the two night games. Outside of Phelps, Lick Creek, Buckleys Creek, and SV nobody comes to the games. I know these games are important to these teams but outside of those communities nobody cares.
bigpun Wrote:People from all over come to watch the two night games. Outside of Phelps, Lick Creek, Buckleys Creek, and SV nobody comes to the games. I know these games are important to these teams but outside of those communities nobody cares.

Again, I'm not saying that the opening games are as glamourous as the nightcaps, nor am I dumb enough to say that the other county teams are as good as Pikeville, Belfry, or the outside visitors. But these games have had good crowds in the past (I've been to a few), and they are often exciting, competitive contests. Valley-Central in particular looks to be a very good matchup this year.

Look at it this way, those games are the opening acts for the more prestigious games. Although very few outside of Pike County may care about the outcome, to the boys on those teams, it means everything right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Again, I'm not saying that the opening games are as glamourous as the nightcaps, nor am I dumb enough to say that the other county teams are as good as Pikeville, Belfry, or the outside visitors. But these games have had good crowds in the past (I've been to a few), and they are often exciting, competitive contests. Valley-Central in particular looks to be a very good matchup this year.

Look at it this way, those games are the opening acts for the more prestigious games. Although very few outside of Pike County may care about the outcome, to the boys on those teams, it means everything right now.
Your rebuttal to my argument was actually my argument again. So, thanks I think.
bigpun Wrote:Your rebuttal to my argument was actually my argument again. So, thanks I think.

No, my rebuttal in post #41 was basically a repeat reading of my statements from post #38. Go back and read it again if you think otherwise.

All I'm saying is that the early games do matter, which you disagree with. They draw good crowds, and if they started to have poor attendance I'm sure the format of the early games would be revised.

Look, you're not going to convince me that the other games are unimportant, and apparently I'm not going to persuade you to my point of view, so let's just agree to disagree and move on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't know about central over valley, central lost varney and their big fullback from last year and every game i watched those were the top two on both sides of the ball. Merchant is a very good player but I don't think he can beat valley on his own.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I don't know about central over valley, central lost varney and their big fullback from last year and every game i watched those were the top two on both sides of the ball. Merchant is a very good player but I don't think he can beat valley on his own.

its a completly new system as well, as to where neither Varney nor Carter would have had much play in. So in fact you can not play those two loses into this up coming season.
warriorpride Wrote:Yea I agree with that. but I See the PCB with scores like this
ER 58 Phelps 12
Corbin 16 Belfry 14
Pike Central 34 Shleby Valley 21
Louisville Holy Cross 28 Pikeville 18

Y does every one count phelps out they could do it this year:redboxer:
bigman61 Wrote:Y does every one count phelps out they could do it this year:redboxer:
I think no one expects much from Phelps this year is that they were 2-8 last year, lost Russell Johnson, and failed to hire a coach until late July.

The only KNOWN returning skill player with much experience is the Payne kid.
BelfryPride Wrote:Phelps - 21
East Ridge -12

Belfry - 27
Corbin - 24

Shelby Valley - 42
Pike County Central - 17

Louisville Holy Cross - 34
Pikeville - 24

dude u rock i am from phelps we will win
bigman61 Wrote:dude u rock i am from phelps we will win

welp we'll see come Aug. 24 now wont we.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I think no one expects much from Phelps this year is that they were 2-8 last year, lost Russell Johnson, and failed to hire a coach until late July.

I have heard some whispers from the Phelps community that he might not be back with them this year.
More Cowbell Wrote:Again, I'm not saying that the opening games are as glamourous as the nightcaps, nor am I dumb enough to say that the other county teams are as good as Pikeville, Belfry, or the outside visitors. But these games have had good crowds in the past (I've been to a few), and they are often exciting, competitive contests. Valley-Central in particular looks to be a very good matchup this year.

If a game is only important TO those communites they need to be IN those communities and not in the PCB. Alot of eyes around this entire state will be on the 2 late games but not on the 2 early ones. What really grinds my gears is that most of the county schools around here dont even take football seriously. They just use it as entertainment till b-ball season starts. All these teams could be good or at least more competitive than they are. But they choose not to be for whatever reason. Id say if the truth was known some of these schools take their PCB money and give it to their B-ball teams. The PCB belongs to the 2 teams in this county who have made the commitment to playing winning football year in and year out. Not to schools whos fans for the most part could care less whether their football team wins or loses as long as the almighty roundball isnt interfered with.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:If a game is only important TO those communites they need to be IN those communities and not in the PCB. Alot of eyes around this entire state will be on the 2 late games but not on the 2 early ones. What really grinds my gears is that most of the county schools around here dont even take football seriously. They just use it as entertainment till b-ball season starts. All these teams could be good or at least more competitive than they are. But they choose not to be for whatever reason. Id say if the truth was known some of these schools take their PCB money and give it to their B-ball teams. The PCB belongs to the 2 teams in this county who have made the commitment to playing winning football year in and year out. Not to schools whos fans for the most part could care less whether their football team wins or loses as long as the almighty roundball isnt interfered with.

ER has only 1 or 2 people on the team that play basketball, so maybe we will see more commitment out of the players and fans this season.
Here is the website for Louisville Holy Cross

http://www.holycrosshs.com/athfootball.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:If a game is only important TO those communites they need to be IN those communities and not in the PCB. Alot of eyes around this entire state will be on the 2 late games but not on the 2 early ones. What really grinds my gears is that most of the county schools around here dont even take football seriously. They just use it as entertainment till b-ball season starts. All these teams could be good or at least more competitive than they are. But they choose not to be for whatever reason. Id say if the truth was known some of these schools take their PCB money and give it to their B-ball teams. The PCB belongs to the 2 teams in this county who have made the commitment to playing winning football year in and year out. Not to schools whos fans for the most part could care less whether their football team wins or loses as long as the almighty roundball isnt interfered with.

Does the fact that the other 4 county teams play in the bowl hurt you personally? Or any of the players on Pikeville and Belfry's teams? No? Well, then why do you guys get so upset about it? Just because those other teams aren't as good as the allmighty Panthers and Pirates doesn't mean that their players aren't out there at practices and games busting their butts to be the best they can be. Come down from the pedestal, and realize that there are more important things in life than trying to see how much you can put down other schools' teams.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I think no one expects much from Phelps this year is that they were 2-8 last year, lost Russell Johnson, and failed to hire a coach until late July.

sorry hes gone to
More Cowbell Wrote:Does the fact that the other 4 county teams play in the bowl hurt you personally? Or any of the players on Pikeville and Belfry's teams? No? Well, then why do you guys get so upset about it? Just because those other teams aren't as good as the allmighty Panthers and Pirates doesn't mean that their players aren't out there at practices and games busting their butts to be the best they can be. Come down from the pedestal, and realize that there are more important things in life than trying to see how much you can put down other schools' teams.
First of all lets get something straight. I have never and nor will I ever put down any kid that plays football for any team around here or anywhere else. The people I put down at these other schools are the people in position to put a better product on the field, and the fans for not standing up and DEMANDING something better. IMO there is no excuse why they couldnt other than just not wanting to upset the b-ball establishment at these schools. The kids who play for these teams DESERVE better than what they are getting and thats the greatest tragedy of them all. What kills me is that these schools dont care about football and have shown this by their actions. But they feel they have a right to participate in a bowl game that was originally intended to showcase the best teams this county has to offer. I would love it if all the teams around here were state title contenders.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:First of all lets get something straight. I have never and nor will I ever put down any kid that plays football for any team around here or anywhere else. The people I put down at these other schools are the people in position to put a better product on the field, and the fans for not standing up and DEMANDING something better. IMO there is no excuse why they couldnt other than just not wanting to upset the b-ball establishment at these schools. The kids who play for these teams DESERVE better than what they are getting and thats the greatest tragedy of them all. What kills me is that these schools dont care about football and have shown this by their actions. But they feel they have a right to participate in a bowl game that was originally intended to showcase the best teams this county has to offer. I would love it if all the teams around here were state title contenders.

OK, fair enough. I don't mind at all if you want to be critical of a school's administration or its coaches, as long as the teams themselves (i.e., the kids playing) aren't put down. I will agree that football comes in second to basketball at most, if not all, of the other schools in this discussion. But I still feel that the players on these teams work just as hard to become a winning team, even if the results don't always show it. I think it's a wonderful gesture that these teams get to participate in a prestigious event like the PCB, even if they are the appetizer to the main entree later to come that night. It doesn't hurt anybody to let them play the opener, and it gives the kids on those teams something to strive for, that maybe someday they will be good enough to play in the nightcap.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:OK, fair enough. I don't mind at all if you want to be critical of a school's administration or its coaches, as long as the teams themselves (i.e., the kids playing) aren't put down. I will agree that football comes in second to basketball at most, if not all, of the other schools in this discussion. But I still feel that the players on these teams work just as hard to become a winning team, even if the results don't always show it. I think it's a wonderful gesture that these teams get to participate in a prestigious event like the PCB, even if they are the appetizer to the main entree later to come that night. It doesn't hurt anybody to let them play the opener, and it gives the kids on those teams something to strive for, that maybe someday they will be good enough to play in the nightcap.

:Thumbs: You derserve a medal for that post.
I've seen Valley pratice last week and today, and they are looking very good on both sides of the pigskin. So in 4 weeks and counting PCC had better watch out cause Big Blue is going to come rolling into P-VILLE and whip some tails.

SV: 30
PCC: 6
kysportsguru Wrote:I've seen Valley pratice last week and today, and they are looking very good on both sides of the pigskin. So in 4 weeks and counting PCC had better watch out cause Big Blue is going to come rolling into P-VILLE and whip some tails.

SV: 30
PCC: 6

Now I see why Valley sometimes gets a bad rap on here.

Look, I'm not sure which team will win, but this has been a pretty even matchup as long as the 2 schools have been playing. In fact, I think that this could be the most competitive game of the entire 2 nights of the PCB. It should be a close one to the end, I seriously doubt that either team will walk off the field with a 24 point win.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]