Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transfers Cost Floyd County Schools $1.5 Million
Otis Campbell Wrote:I find it very odd that you use quotations on the word recruiting. LOL

I’d say because people say those kids that left Prestonsburg were recruited but in reality Prestonsburg gave them away. Sort of like the way Betsy Layne has given away so much talent to Pikeville. Betsy Layne is doing nothing to keep them home. You don’t have to recruit kids that are at schools that do anything to keep them there.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:I’d say because people say those kids that left Prestonsburg were recruited but in reality Prestonsburg gave them away. Sort of like the way Betsy Layne has given away so much talent to Pikeville. Betsy Layne is doing nothing to keep them home. You don’t have to recruit kids that are at schools that do anything to keep them there.
I know a lot about that situation. I won’t throw my two cents in on that. As far as the points you make, I agree.
Some folks squirm a little when I make this analogy. But, a school system is no different than any other buisness. In any buisness, if the service you offer isn’t as good as the one down the road. You won’t be in buisness very long. Parents want what’s best for their kids, PERIOD! Floyd County has 2 problems.
1. They are a historically under-performing school district
2. They have the 2 historically highest performing school districts neighboring them to the north (Paintsville) and the south (Pikeville). Both schools not only perform at a high level academically but are competitive at a Championship Level in nearly every sport both of them play. If you’re a parent to a child whose either a good student or a good athlete (Hopefully they are both) and you live in Floyd County....What would you do?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Some folks squirm a little when I make this analogy. But, a school system is no different than any other buisness. In any buisness, if the service you offer isn’t as good as the one down the road. You won’t be in buisness very long. Parents want what’s best for their kids, PERIOD! Floyd County has 2 problems.
2. They have the 2 historically highest performing school districts neighboring them to the north (Paintsville) and the south (Pikeville). Both schools not only perform at a high level academically but are competitive at a Championship Level in nearly every sport both of them play. If you’re a parent to a child whose either a good student or a good athlete (Hopefully they are both) and you live in Floyd County....What would you do?

Nailed it....

People always want to throw the "recruiting" word around, but in the vast majority of cases when a player transfers it has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with a choice made by the family.

People also associate all of this to athletics, when the truth is the only transfers that are visible just seem to be athletics involved, but transfers happen all the time.

Floyd County illustrates perfectly that when public schools fail, a parent should have every right to make a choice to send their kids where they are best set up for success.

The question now if you are Floyd County, is how do you stop this cycle or letting your tax base choose to leave your County? This is a whole new animal to discuss.

Sadly, I would say Floyd County is in a lose-lose situation and the fact that even with a brand new state of the art High School, you are still losing kids left and right, tells me this may get worse before it gets better.
The biggest problem that you can’t stop is parents who work in Pikeville and live along US 23 between Banner and the Pike County line. And Johnson Central gets a ton of kids from East Point and Auxier communities. Basically anywhere north of Pburg along US23 and KY RT 321.

I think the kids leaving because of sports who start out in Floyd County schools can be solved. But the pipeline of just kids heading to other school districts because of proximity and convenience for the parents working in that district isn’t getting solved.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Nailed it....

People always want to throw the "recruiting" word around, but in the vast majority of cases when a player transfers it has nothing to do with recruiting and everything to do with a choice made by the family.

People also associate all of this to athletics, when the truth is the only transfers that are visible just seem to be athletics involved, but transfers happen all the time.

Floyd County illustrates perfectly that when public schools fail, a parent should have every right to make a choice to send their kids where they are best set up for success.

The question now if you are Floyd County, is how do you stop this cycle or letting your tax base choose to leave your County? This is a whole new animal to discuss.

Sadly, I would say Floyd County is in a lose-lose situation and the fact that even with a brand new state of the art High School, you are still losing kids left and right, tells me this may get worse before it gets better.

Good post

The “R” word is such a blanket statement used by so many to cover up their own inadequacies. It’s easier to claim someone “recruited” than it is to tell the truth...
They could cancel the reciprocal agreements. Keep all the allotted SEEK money and work to improve their district. JMO
Iam4thecats Wrote:They could cancel the reciprocal agreements. Keep all the allotted SEEK money and work to improve their district. JMO

They could. Or they could look their selves in mirror and ask "why are we losing all of these kids to surrounding districts". Improve the product and they will stay.
Armchair QB Wrote:They could. Or they could look their selves in mirror and ask "why are we losing all of these kids to surrounding districts". Improve the product and they will stay.

You quoted me and didn't even read what you quoted did you?
Armchair QB Wrote:They could. Or they could look their selves in mirror and ask "why are we losing all of these kids to surrounding districts". Improve the product and they will stay.

No they wouldn’t...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:The “R” word is such a blanket statement used by so many to cover up their own inadequacies. It’s easier to claim someone “recruited” than it is to tell the truth...

Yep

Yep
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Some folks squirm a little when I make this analogy. But, a school system is no different than any other buisness. In any buisness, if the service you offer isn’t as good as the one down the road. You won’t be in buisness very long. Parents want what’s best for their kids, PERIOD! Floyd County has 2 problems.

Yep x2

Honestly I lived through this and my old man was unrepentant about sending us to the independent school till the day he died...
Iam4thecats Wrote:You quoted me and didn't even read what you quoted did you?
I read it. My point was if you improved the product there would be no need to cancel the reciprocal agreements. Pikeville, Paintsville and Johnson County schools systems all have a good product and benefit from agreements.
So if I had a job that I didnt like or no room to improve myself due to upper management, cant get promoted or benefits are not that good I’m to stay at this job? Or I could travel extra 15-30 mins north or south to obtain and better job, more pay better benefits for myself and family. But then this company I’m at wants to complain to everyone we can’t keep employees we are losing money xyz company to the north is offering this xyz company is offering that but here at F company we don’t plan to change because we don’t see an issue.
Floyd co is mainly democratic county. Isn’t the Democratic Party wanting one health care system and to increase taxes. Yes the word recruiting is always thrown around. But just maybe a parent wants the best for their child and these other schools have a better system
I don’t know much about Floyd Co but most school systems in the situation described are full of nepotism because they are ran by a few different families that are scratching each other’s backs, creating jobs for certain family members, they drive the buses change the light bulbs etc. The only way it can change imo is to clean house and change the culture problem there is the ones clinging to power won’t easily give it up...
that's right Wrote:They may to do the same deal Greenup Co. has. They went to the state and no longer lose money from Greenup kids going to Raceland. I think a kid should get the best education around, and Greenup scores are low enough where I can see parents taking kids elsewhere!

Greenup scores are not low. Do your research.
Coupon21 Wrote:Greenup scores are not low. Do your research.

Are you telling them to hire a private investigator? Lol
single shot Wrote:I don’t know much about Floyd Co but most school systems in the situation described are full of nepotism because they are ran by a few different families that are scratching each other’s backs, creating jobs for certain family members, they drive the buses change the light bulbs etc. The only way it can change imo is to clean house and change the culture problem there is the ones clinging to power won’t easily give it up...

Many if not all of the problems have been eradicated. The problem is convincing a generation or more that you don’t have to go outside the county any more for opportunity in education and athletics. I’ll say again though, those who work or live near the border of these other school districts are going to always send their kids to wherever is most convenient for their family. Nothing you can do about that.
Would love to see Pburg back to where they belong on the gridiron. They had some great great teams.
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't say you were. I just thought everyone realized Floyd players were spread out everywhere. It's not a big deal, lots of reasons for it, and not just happening to Floyd County.

Sure there are. I personally know kids who went to Pikeville, Painstville and JC.. I even know a few who went to JC because they still had a FFA program.. Then of course I know many who went to play sports. I mean some of Prestonsburgs most notable Alum,s kids went to other counties to play sports. Just think about that.
No recruiting needed.. I grew up in east point and went to school at Auxier. Lots abd lots of kids from those areas went to JC or Paintsville. Its not ,much difference in drive from there than it is to Prestonsburg. Lots of the parents work in Johnson county. I imagine its the same way up 23 going into Pike co..
Simple, make the school system more attractive to parents and kids. Stop the stuff that drives them away. Stop cutting kids programs like FFA and clubs. Stop hiring Billy bob for your new basketball coach just because he grew up in the same district as your school. Stop hiring coaches without a proven track record at the high school level. Stop teachers from not communicating with parents. A parent shouldn't have to send 5 messages and call the school three times to check on an academic issue etc(Though that's a problem everywhere)
Just address the issues that are important to the kids and parents!! Even if you the school system think they arnt..
Paintsville High School is jokingly called “North Prestonsburg High School”.
Football in this area is a lot better when Pburg is relevant. Hope to see them get back to being competitive once again.
I’d like to see a list of the players from Prestonsburg playing elsewhere, just to get an idea of what kinda team Pburg would have had this year. I know Paintsville has quite a few, the Pikeville RB, and the RB/LB from JC. The numbers in the article suggest there are a bunch more.

Well said.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Ghostofjoey Wrote:Shut the borders.

If you try to make them go, they will fight you the whole way, you got to them want to come. You do this by hiring quality people at every position
Redneck Wrote:I’d like to see a list of the players from Prestonsburg playing elsewhere, just to get an idea of what kinda team Pburg would have had this year. I know Paintsville has quite a few, the Pikeville RB, and the RB/LB from JC. The numbers in the article suggest there are a bunch more.

The football and basketball team Prestonsburg could've had and the basketball team Floyd Central also could've had would've been very impressive. Probably the best basketball team Pburg would have seen since 1996 or '97.

I don't want to mention names, because I just feel like it's not appropriate and I know for a fact I would forget a bunch too. I will share that a lot of Johnson Central's better football players from this past falls team has a lot of kids from the Prestonsburg school district on it, but I'm not sure if many even ever attended a Floyd County school.
[quote=BlackcatAlum]The football and basketball team Prestonsburg could've had and the basketball team Floyd Central also could've had would've been very impressive. Probably the best basketball team Pburg would have seen since 1996 or '97.

I don't want to mention names, because I just feel like it's not appropriate and I know for a fact I would forget a bunch too. I will share that a lot of Johnson Central's better football players from this past falls team has a lot of kids from the Prestonsburg school district on it, but I'm not sure if many even ever attended a Floyd County school.[/QUOTE]

Yes Johnson Central had a few kids with Prestonsburg ties. Throughout the state kids that live in close proximity to county lines often travel to the other county. It is sometimes for athletics, sometimes for a quality education, sometimes for programs that other schools do not offer. Our kids with Floyd County ties came during elementary and middle school or enrolled from the beginning. Several have parents that are school employees. The bottom line is that if you provide a quality product that is appealing people will accept it. Apparently their school system is neither quality or appealing.