Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBI coach has left
[quote=JustThinking]Such a class act you are Boss. I'll bet you wake up every morning thinking of good things to say about people.Confusednicker:Confusednicker:[/QUOTEJ

Just thinking you wasting you time on that Jerk. He tells half truths and lies all the time, even when he knows the truth. He Knows Coach Gay was Head Coach at Powell and Pine Knot and Asst. at Leslie and OBI. Boss has been digging Gay for many years now. I think he really has a hate for him. JMO
Back to the topic at hand-- I think that there's a real chance that boarding schools like OBI and Red Bird may not have school years, or if they do, it's mostly local kids and their dorms aren't open. The public's response and the medical community's advice that comes over next few weeks are probably going to be crucial in determining how their years take shape.
I agree, neither of those Schools may not need a Coach. Oneida has a good one on staff if he didn't leave during all the shake up.
BossEric Wrote:Hire him, He will set the program back 20 years. I think He was a assistant coach at All 3 places. Could have been the head coach at pine knot or could have been Roscoe assistant coach. I still say, pay Steve Wright the money he wants.

Setting the program back 20 years would put it about where it is now. They were really good about 30 years ago in the early days of the All "A" tourney.
HCS Wrote:Setting the program back 20 years would put it about where it is now. They were really good about 30 years ago in the early days of the All "A" tourney.

Good Point!
I witnessed a conversation over the weekend no clue if the people were joking but they said conversations were ongoing concerning a prominent coach connected to another nationally prominent prep school and the AAU circuit about the OBI basketball program and bringing those connections the Mountains? Talk about shaking up the 49th, 13th, and the KHSAA could you imagine OBI in the same conversation as OAK Hill and others prominent basketball factories. It's a scary thought but OBI is set up perfectly for such a program.
If I had to guess, this conversation may have involved Huntington Prep's coach. If I am not mistaken, Huntington Prep's players were educated by Huntington St. Joseph's high school and St. Joseph's announced they were ending that relationship. If that was a serious conversation, I would imagine Oneida would likely do what Oak Hill and Huntington Prep did which was play a national schedule, going across the country to play and also those made for ESPN type of showcase games.

If Oneida wanted to go that route, the dorms and location make it a possibility, but I highly doubt if they did they'd be able to compete at the KHSAA level. Those type of players arent looking to showcase their talents against the 13th Region schools.
I had no clue Oak Hill didn't compete in Virginia high school basketball... Thanks for the clarification. OBI is set up perfectly, could easily transition that way it's like a college campus, they just build a new dorm.
You're welcome. I know some of these prep schools have numerous teams. I'm from Floyd County and its home to the Wesley Christian School. Wesley has a team that will scrimmage 15th Region teams but play a national schedule otherwise. Most of those players are from foreign countries. If I am not mistaken they had a player that is currently at Loyola, and they recently had a player sign to play at Stetson next season. They have another team that I believe is open to local kids but they play in a Christian league and not the KHSAA.

I do agree with you, it can definitely be set up if they wanted to go that route. I've read different articles about Oak Hill and how its remote location keeps players from doing anything but focusing on basketball and their grades, I can imagine Oneida would be the same.
clipperw Wrote:You're welcome. I know some of these prep schools have numerous teams. I'm from Floyd County and its home to the Wesley Christian School. Wesley has a team that will scrimmage 15th Region teams but play a national schedule otherwise. Most of those players are from foreign countries. If I am not mistaken they had a player that is currently at Loyola, and they recently had a player sign to play at Stetson next season. They have another team that I believe is open to local kids but they play in a Christian league and not the KHSAA.

I do agree with you, it can definitely be set up if they wanted to go that route. I've read different articles about Oak Hill and how its remote location keeps players from doing anything but focusing on basketball and their grades, I can imagine Oneida would be the same.

I agree with most that has been said about Oneida becoming a State and National force. Or
they could go the route by recruiting players they could become a force in the 49th District and 13th Regional. I would love to see either happen. I say if they can get the Coach from Huntington pre, go for it.:Clap:
It seems I've seen this discussion every year for the past 10 years or longer.
Hey check out CAL Christian Academy of Louisville.... http://caschools.us. if an area ever decide to go this route they may be unstoppable at sports, they can recruit kids don't have to attend normal school hours a lot of the work is pacing assignments by yourself, kind of like NTI on a permanent basis.

Could you imagine what type of athletes you could put together if you allowed them to focus on their sports and academics at their own pace (Basically Homeschool) with the cluster our educational system is in it's just a matter of time before cities/areas have thee type educational systems created by a group of like minded individuals. For example one in the Tri county area; just imagine all the athletes from the Laurel Knox Whitley area forming one athletic program where the a student doesn't have to report to a class until they need help. It'd be scary I'm telling you.... in 2018 CAL went undefeated in football to will the KHSAA state tournament over Mayfield, no clue what's happened to them since.
That kind of approach would destroy high school athletics in this area - building an all-star team for sports with no concern for the academic side. What would a championship mean if you have to put together a team like that to do it?
It's a sad time.....but reality is a handful of parents don't care as long as their kids get to win, they will do anything and spare no cost

This goes for all sports across the board...

Look at this the little league basball programs around the country have been decimated by travel ball, when I was a kid winning your community little league championship was the shat, now it means so little, most communities can't even get together enough kids to play little league so unless you have parents with plenty of resources to pay your way to play travel ball your just out of luck....

Also All Stars... every program I've ever been around unless your parents coach or you have a connection or your just a tremendous way above average athlete you don't have a shot.

The comrade created with kids playing together as they grow up is all but lost parents spend thousands of dollars so kids get all this exposure in preparation for college and the pro, when in reality JR discovers the honeys the summer between his 9th and 10th grade and he's done.... HA
If it's a bad idea, there is no point in promoting it. I'd rather see local players win regional and district championships. We can watch the NBA to see all-star teams.
It’s not like all star teams haven’t been created in the 13th region in the past. OBI wouldn’t be the first if they decided to go that route. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve been told by people from that area that the highly rated Harlan Green Dragon teams of the 1990’s was built from kids from the various high schools in Harlan County who had played AAU basketball together since grade school and decided to enroll at Harlan. Thomas was from Cumberland. Cox from Cawood. I think Jones came in with his dad, the coach. I’ll have to admit though that was one heck of a team and very enjoyable to watch through their high school careers.
I'd be shocked if OBI ever played a Huntington Prep type schedule. I'd be very surprised if they even came close to the point of being a long term regional power.

There are reasons that people (mostly outsiders) always talk about how they would love to coach there and recruit but it never happens.

They'll have some years where they may, through pure luck, wind up with a really good player and have a competitive year, but it won't be because of recruiting.

Most 13th Region or area historians will probably be quick to tell you that the best years in program history are from a combination of:

- having one very talented player or a couple of solid players who happened to come in

- adding said player or players to a mix of local kids (who are more likely to have played before and less likely to transfer out, especially if they are staff kids) and

- having some kids who transferred in during previous years who are not only playing under a good coach, but have also played there long enough to learn their system and develop under a solid coach as well (as many kids they get have never played organized basketball at a high level before arrival and the school doesn't break the bank paying staff, much less coaches, which has sometimes led to very inexperienced coaches at the feeder or even varsity levels).

Being competitive in the 49th usually translated to being able to play with or beat Clay County. Sadly, in recent years, beating Clay County isn't anything special, but in the past, it was typically enough to be competitive enough with the rest of the region and to have a real shot at the All A as well. Any of their teams who've done either (ex. most recently their 2004-2005 & 1999-2000 teams and before those the Gritton Jr., Ben Franklin, or Gritton Sr. teams) have fit that criteria.

Not going to get into where kids lived or came from, but those who are familiar will tell you that the success of their teams are largely dependent on those factors. Yes, there'll be exceptions (i.e., IIRC, the 2004-2005 team or the team who lost to eventual champion Corbin in double overtime of the All A two years prior didn't have a local kid who played a huge role), but overall, I'd be very shocked to learn that any success they've had didn't bear a strong correlation.

I don't see anything changing in the near future either. If there's a season this year and they can participate as they normally would, then the next class where they are "up" will probably depend on whether the two kids who dressed as 7th graders (who'll be freshmen this year) stay and develop, who the next coach is, and what type of kids wind up coming in. It will also have nothing to do with recruiting.
I was told my a former OBI teacher that their enrollment numbers more than likely will be low next school year due to not getting many students from outside Clay County because of the Coronavirus. I don’t know their breakdown in their system of local and outside kids but my guess is it’s probably 50-50. The numbers may actually be higher than that for the outside area students. I know they usually have quite a few foreign students.
I've been told a limited number of Dorm Student and the Local Day student will be all that will attend school. I agree with Joker, don't see too much changing. The salary is very low and benefits not good. I look for them to hire a young inexperienced Coach or one who is retired and just wants to Coach to help the School.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I was told my a former OBI teacher that their enrollment numbers more than likely will be low next school year due to not getting many students from outside Clay County because of the Coronavirus. I don’t know their breakdown in their system of local and outside kids but my guess is it’s probably 50-50. The numbers may actually be higher than that for the outside area students. I know they usually have quite a few foreign students.

I'd imagine that the ratio of local kids to kids living in the dorms is closer to 80/20 or 90/10 than 50/50.
JokersWild24 Wrote:I'd imagine that the ratio of local kids to kids living in the dorms is closer to 80/20 or 90/10 than 50/50.
I suppose there’s more local kids but not too many years ago their high school enrollment was close to 300, and I don’t know where OBI is going to come up with that many local kids to get that number. A large portion of it had to come from kids outside the county. That’s why I was guessing at a 50-50 ratio.
JokersWild24 Wrote:I'd imagine that the ratio of local kids to kids living in the dorms is closer to 80/20 or 90/10 than 50/50.

School population is made up of about 80/20 no more than 70/30 dorm to local students. When Underwood was President they had stopped running busses for the Local Students and had no Elementary School program at all, the numbers dropped to about 5 % for day students. Now the do both and have built the local students up quite a bit. Oneida has always had a much larger dorm population over locals.
JustThinking Wrote:School population is made up of about 80/20 no more than 70/30 dorm to local students. When Underwood was President they had stopped running busses for the Local Students and had no Elementary School program at all, the numbers dropped to about 5 % for day students. Now the do both and have built the local students up quite a bit. Oneida has always had a much larger dorm population over locals.
And they recently built a new dorm.

So the dorm students make up 70-80% of OBI’s enrollment. I wasn’t aware it was that high.
To clarify: I was trying to say that, in an average year, ~70-80% or more of their kids live in the dorms.

I'd imagine that the dorms won't be filled to capacity given the pandemic, so the ratio will be affected.
OBI’s local population was 45% and boarding was 55% for this past school year. OBI has been making efforts to return to the roots and original mission of why Oneida began in 1899-to serve the mountain kids. As stated above by some others, this years boarding will be limited due to the Covid pandemic and having the ability to place students 1-2 per room in order to properly quarantine should the need arise.
Defender Wrote:OBI’s local population was 45% and boarding was 55% for this past school year. OBI has been making efforts to return to the roots and original mission of why Oneida began in 1899-to serve the mountain kids. As stated above by some others, this years boarding will be limited due to the Covid pandemic and having the ability to place students 1-2 per room in order to properly quarantine should the need arise.
Thanks for the clarification. So it is close to the 50-50 number that I posted earlier.

The former teacher from Oneida that I spoke with said their numbers were going to be way down this year for the very reason you mentioned in your post. He said they wouldn’t be able to use the dorms to capacity due to the social distancing required during the pandemic. He added that it would greatly affect their athletic programs this year.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:I suppose there’s more local kids but not too many years ago their high school enrollment was close to 300, and I don’t know where OBI is going to come up with that many local kids to get that number. A large portion of it had to come from kids outside the county. That’s why I was guessing at a 50-50 ratio.

Enrollment in 9-12 was 177 last year, according to KHSAA, with 60 seniors.
After looking at the current situation, I don't think Oneida will hire a Coach this year. Look for someone already on staff to take that job this school year. Robinson is a good coach if he is still there. If not someone else. Daniel Gay was a young Assistant Coach maybe he takes over.
I agree. Robinson always did a good job with what he had.
HCS Wrote:Enrollment in 9-12 was 177 last year, according to KHSAA, with 60 seniors.

Yes, they are way below what they were in their peak years. I remember taking notice of it back then because at that time, and it’s been probably 20 or more years ago, they had a substantially larger high school enrollment than our county high school, the only high school in my home county.